Canker sores (aka mouth ulcers)
Feb 14, 2010 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Banned at his own request
So docs don't really know why we get these, right? I got two a couple of days ago. They were the biggest ones I got to date, but I got Orajel left over from the previous one which was smaller, but lasted for 2 full weeks and drove me mad. Now they are healing.
I don't even have a hypothesis on why this is happening. How 'bout you guys (females incl.), any people plagued by this problem and have a hypothesis?

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 54
it's a virus and that's how it is "breaking out" plus some people are sensitive to sodium which makes them worse my great grandmother used to say put some sugar on your tongue and lightly press into it and it will make it heal quicker( also works great for burning the roof of your mouth from pizza )

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 54
Yes, it is virus. Now I don't want you to freak out but it is same kind of virus as herpes but just slight different kind. It is estimated over 80% of adult US population infected with it depending which study you read. Once you have it, typically you have it for life. Some people break out more often than others. The symptoms usually last 7 to 10 days and it is self limiting. Almost all of the treatment is for comfort not for cure. There is no known cure for it, not yet.

If it break out outside of mouth, like around the lips, it forms typical looking cold sores. But when it happened inside of mouth, it will form ulceration due to moisture inside the mouth and it is very painful for few days. These breakouts happens more often when you are stressed out, probably due to lowered immune system during those time. They are opportunistic infection. You can use the Orajel for small lesions but when it gets big, it becomes ineffective.

Next time try one of this method: mix half of Kaopectate or Mylanta (yes, those white milky liquid kind) and liquid Benadryl, then rinse your mouth where the large lesions are just like mouthwash for 30 to 40 sec. and spit it out. This should give you some comfort and repeat as you needed. If your lesions are more severe and spread out, you probably need prescription to deal with it. Hope you feel better soon.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 54
Listerine?

Look up Kevin Trudeu's books. He claims to cure herpes, and maybe even cankers i dont know, but look him up.

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #10 of 54
Taking Lysine can help shorten the duration.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 54
"can somebody tell Victor I'm here you see I gots the herpes simplex 10 and the man needs to get treatment before things start to fall off."

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #12 of 54
Typical canker sores are usually NOT due to a viral infection. They are mostly idiopathic and often brought on by certain triggers, such as stress, fatigue, etc. Recurrent aphthous stomatitis (canker sores) is usually distinct from recurrent HSV-1 infection/Herpes labialis (cold sores).
There are more serious, systemic causes of oral ulcers, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #13 of 54
Canker Sores are NOT Cold Sores.

The cause of Canker Sores aren't well known. I think of them as an imbalance, either nutritionally or your natural flora isn't doing its job as it should be. I'm not all into the stress thing as the cause, I take a page from Pen and Teller on stress (great episode if you ever have a chance to watch it).

Cold Sores are different, they are viral and very well understood.

I get Canker Sores once or twice a year and they drive me up the damned wall. I live on Anbesol when they come around.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by justhavingfun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it is virus. Now I don't want you to freak out but it is same kind of virus as herpes but just slight different kind. It is estimated over 80% of adult US population infected with it depending which study you read. Once you have it, typically you have it for life. Some people break out more often than others. The symptoms usually last 7 to 10 days and it is self limiting. Almost all of the treatment is for comfort not for cure. There is no known cure for it, not yet.

Canker sores are not herpes of any kind. They are not cold sores. Canker sores are not caused by a virus. They are often caused by stress or lack of sleep or physical aggravation. I get them if I use a certain type of crest toothpaste for more than a few days. They are caused by the immune system itself, not by a response to a disease or virus of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back