CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #151 of 687
So... I am not allowed to give Warren a hard time?! :wink:

That is the reason I assumed dinner. Either Friday or Saturday.
I’m getting in early Friday so just about anytime after 1pm works for me.

Stop by our room to experience the all-new WA23 LUNA.

We'll also have WA33, WA7 3rd gen, WA8 eclipse and WA11 topaz available for audition. Bring your favorite headphones!

DSC03262.jpg

DSC03335.jpg

DSC03336.jpg
My new Atriums might be ready by then and liked the amp a lot when I heard it in NYC.

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #152 of 687
I’m getting in early Friday so just about anytime after 1pm works for me.
I am not sure yet when I am arriving on Friday (by car)... Definitely in time for dinner!

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #156 of 687
I was going to book a hotel room. You can't seem to choose between king or double. Is that something we can have the option to choose? Right now, it looks like they will randomly assign you one or the other.
That IS weird. While @third_eye may be able to answer this, I'd call the hotel directly -- +1 949-553-0100.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #157 of 687
That IS weird. While @third_eye may be able to answer this, I'd call the hotel directly -- +1 949-553-0100.
yeah, well I had the same issue last year, third_eye called them up and resolved it pretty quickly. Call me crazy but I don't like to call in because with my luck, human error plays a role often. the canjam prior to covid, they screwed up my dates and my name and they didn't want to fix my problem on the day so I unfortunately got a room at the hilton across the freeway on the other side. Thankfully My work has an account there so I was able to get a decent rate.. Anyway, I'm just going to see if third_eye or someone can figure something out and if not, i'll call. Doesn't show on my profile (because i'm too lazy to ask about the medals everytime) but I haven't missed the last five canjams and it's just one of those events I enjoy going to. cheers

Jul 23, 2022 at 1:15 AM Post #159 of 687
When I spoke to them, they said it depends on the hotel availability on which room I get.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #160 of 687
Hey group! So excited for SoCal CanJam; still two months out so I know it's a little early to share what people are gonna be focused on heading into the event (always enjoyable for me to read what people are excited about), but I'm gonna share now, if I may? Would LOVE to get some feedback from the group, as I think through how/where I'm going to spend my time and money in September.

Some context: I used to LOVE coming to CanJam, but I was always a bit scattershot in how I spent my time over the two days. Think kid in a candy store, bouncing around from ALL the booths with no strategic plan in place. Don't get me wrong, there's something of a giddy, visceral joy in experiencing CanJam this way, but going into 2022, I wanted to play the game differently, more focused and strategic in my experience. This year's been all about building my "dream" portable listening setup, so it was all a minimalist approach. I focused on DAPS and bought the Cayin N8ii coming out of CanJam NYC, and focused on IEMS and demoed/bought a custom Trailli (with the PW Orpheus the most expensive unplanned Point-of-Sale purchase in my life, but happy though lol) coming out of CanJam Chicago. Also, I bought the CEntrance Ampersand amp after the show, to continue expanding on my early 2022 acquisition of the N8ii, just for when I want to power full-size headphones out of this DAP. I've come to like this relatively minimalist, more strategic approach of using CanJams to demo/purchase one specific piece that's integrated with previous purchases and using the months in-between shows to save my pennies for the next piece is working well.

Hence my delightful conundrum heading into SoCal CanJam: the "minimalist" angle on my shoulder is saying I should stay tight in focus: Portable endgame has been reached! But the "maximalist" devil on my other shoulder is thinking it's time to expand slightly from my current setup: Orpheus was like a taste of the forbidden apple and has made me curious about other TOTL cables to pair with Bird/Cayin N8ii for a different sound profile. Hmmm, or maybe I think about a complimentary IEM (preferably custom mold option available) to expand beyond the Bird? Or, for a real extension beyond my minimalist mindset, I look at other portable setups like the Chord Mojo 2/Poly, or even another TOTL DAP (thinking R2R based). Totally realize I could simply appreciate what I've built out through CanJam pilgrimages to date and just leave my wallet at home for rest of 2022... (but where's the fun in that?). Decisions, decisions!

I'll stop there, this is too long already! Right now, I'm thinking day one of SoCal CanJam will be focused on the quandaries above. Day two less about portable HiFi shopping/spending internal debates, and more of that kid in the candy store, window shopping vibe focused on desktop gear. If 2022 is shaping up as portable listening focused, I think 2023 is going to be considering what would be my "dream" desktop/headphone setup.

Again, would love to know what you all would do with my money, considering the above! And what are you thinking about focusing on for yourself at SoCal?

CanJam: Two days of great listening options/experiences, and it's STILL not enough time! Anyone working on CanJam Disney Cruises, for a weeklong experience?

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #161 of 687
I only was able to go on Sunday last year, so this year I'm really looking to just experience anything that I didn't get the chance to last year. Go to some of the talks and check out booths that I didn't get to. (Definitely need to try out some of the empire ears iems given the basshead I am). I also want to go back and relisten to my favorite items I heard last year but bringing along my own dongle so that I can see if listening to items with music off my own library changes my opinions. (Forgot to bring my BTR5 with me last time as I was too caught up in the excitement). The couple items I did hear off my phone last year were some of my favorites and the question is whether they were the best or I just really enjoy the act of my favorite albums haha (I was absolutely enraptured listening to some of Patricia Taxxon's work off the Tia Trio and Forte). Definitely right along with ya for the kid in the candy store thing. I'd been hearing about all this gear for years and it's incredible to actually be able to hear the difference in person than just descriptors without any real reference point.

Amazing that I can drive an hour from home and get to experience all this, I certainly feel lucky there.

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #162 of 687
I only was able to go on Sunday last year, so this year I'm really looking to just experience anything that I didn't get the chance to last year. Go to some of the talks and check out booths that I didn't get to. (Definitely need to try out some of the empire ears iems given the basshead I am). I also want to go back and relisten to my favorite items I heard last year but bringing along my own dongle so that I can see if listening to items with music off my own library changes my opinions. (Forgot to bring my BTR5 with me last time as I was too caught up in the excitement). The couple items I did hear off my phone last year were some of my favorites and the question is whether they were the best or I just really enjoy the act of my favorite albums haha (I was absolutely enraptured listening to some of Patricia Taxxon's work off the Tia Trio and Forte). Definitely right along with ya for the kid in the candy store thing. I'd been hearing about all this gear for years and it's incredible to actually be able to hear the difference in person than just descriptors without any real reference point.

Amazing that I can drive an hour from home and get to experience all this, I certainly feel lucky there.
Since you have the BTR5, you should check out the iFi audio Go Blu - a nice bluetooth device. I also just saw iFi audio has a new "dongle" named the Go bar that can be run off a phone, and I presume off a laptop.

EE items are incredible...keep an eye on the forum for a EE rep to have listening opportunities Friday night before the show. They did that at CanJam NYC, I think Chicago and I saw something similar for next week's London CanJam.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #163 of 687
Registered!

Do you think we'll have to mask up...?

Or will my ruggedly handsome good looks keep the covid away?...

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #164 of 687
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back