CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #76 of 687
If anyone is planning on attending CanJam SoCal 2022 and would like a profile badge (or needs any other CanJam profile badges), please send me a PM by clicking here and I can get you set up.

In an effort to not clutter the thread up with requests. any further in-thread profile badge requests will be removed from the thread.

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #77 of 687
You really don’t have to bring anything as everyone will have everything you need to listen to their gear. If you want to bring your headphones that is fine and you can listen to them from many setups and I definitely suggest hitting the Wells Audio booth as he is supposed to bring a dual mono block of what he had in Chicago and have to say one of the best things I think I have heard it is a must listen too.
I sure hope this is true @The Piper. Didn’t see Wells Audio on the SoCal exhibitor list. I was hyped when I read about the system in the Chicago thread.

Jun 29, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #78 of 687
2021 socal food thread
Don't forget to look up and chat about interesting restaurants in the SoCal food thread - tons of recommendations.

I don't know if I booked everything too early, but I'm ready for 3 months later. This will be my first CanJam, what should I bring to fully enjoy the event?
Money.
Lots of money =D

1. Your standard portable audio player and music, along with type favorite headphones/earphones for comparison.

E.g. A ton of the samples might be heavy rock, let's say. But if you only listen to classic music, you won't get a good idea listening to headphones playing a different genre.
(You can't unplug some headphones to use with your player, but many can. Naturally, ask first.)

2. Earplugs / Eargasm noise reducing plugs / active noise canceling headphones

While most don't try to blast music at full volume, tons of people chatting makes for tired ears.

Good to give them a rest before comparing headphones, especially if you're itching to buy a $1000+ Audeze LCD-X and wonder if they're any good.

3. If you plan to buy, something to carry - sack, pack, backpack - so you don't have to go all the way back to your car/room to drop off a handful of freebies, brochures, headphones etc.

4. Sunglasses. Anytime you're outdoors long in SoCal summers, it's bright!
Polarizing best....you cut through the smog.

5. If you have any allergies, allergy medication, masks, etc. While you'll naturally bring masks and proof of covid vaccination card anyways (since CA has gone in and out of requiring them), there's no ready pharmacy nearby within easy walking distance afaik.
Smog here is usually the worst in the country, and friends get sniffles visiting.

6. Cash and credit card.
Some vendors take only one or the other, most can take both, but a glitch in their credit card machine or lack of cash change can hamper that sale special purchase.

7. Phone charger/power bank if you need the phone powered all day while listening to tons of headphones.

8. Everything you bring labeled or tagged. There have been people leaving everything behind many listening tables ago. Try to make things easy to return.

9. Wipes.
I tend to use Zeiss Lens Wipes (Wal-Mart) that is compatible with almost all surfaces and headphones. Good when you're lending out your gear for others to listen to.
(For vendor headphones, ask if they don't clean after each person and you're worried before you clean for them.)

10. Notepad and pen.
I usually do that to take immediate impressions faster than typing into phones, notes, contact numbers, etc.
Waiting even one more table to take notes often means the memory has faded or changed.

11. And if you're not driving to the event, but coming from the airport, both uber and lyft, maybe even the local taxi apps.

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #79 of 687
It's going to be gorgeous, perfect weather. Another great reason to take a weekend and attend the event, right @zach915m ? And I'm not just saying that to lure you here. Really. Just going to be a nice weekend is all.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #80 of 687
Assuming things are the same as the last two SoCal CanJams, the hotel has a free shuttle bus to and from the airport.

From what was told to me last September, Uber and Lyft charges (before most of the gasoline price spike) were very high for a very short ride from the airport.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #81 of 687
Money.
Lots of money =D

1. Your standard portable audio player and music, along with type favorite headphones/earphones for comparison.

E.g. A ton of the samples might be heavy rock, let's say. But if you only listen to classic music, you won't get a good idea listening to headphones playing a different genre.
(You can't unplug some headphones to use with your player, but many can. Naturally, ask first.)

2. Earplugs / Eargasm noise reducing plugs / active noise canceling headphones

While most don't try to blast music at full volume, tons of people chatting makes for tired ears.

Good to give them a rest before comparing headphones, especially if you're itching to buy a $1000+ Audeze LCD-X and wonder if they're any good.

3. If you plan to buy, something to carry - sack, pack, backpack - so you don't have to go all the way back to your car/room to drop off a handful of freebies, brochures, headphones etc.

4. Sunglasses. Anytime you're outdoors long in SoCal summers, it's bright!
Polarizing best....you cut through the smog.

5. If you have any allergies, allergy medication, masks, etc. While you'll naturally bring masks and proof of covid vaccination card anyways (since CA has gone in and out of requiring them), there's no ready pharmacy nearby within easy walking distance afaik.
Smog here is usually the worst in the country, and friends get sniffles visiting.

6. Cash and credit card.
Some vendors take only one or the other, most can take both, but a glitch in their credit card machine or lack of cash change can hamper that sale special purchase.

7. Phone charger/power bank if you need the phone powered all day while listening to tons of headphones.

8. Everything you bring labeled or tagged. There have been people leaving everything behind many listening tables ago. Try to make things easy to return.

9. Wipes.
I tend to use Zeiss Lens Wipes (Wal-Mart) that is compatible with almost all surfaces and headphones. Good when you're lending out your gear for others to listen to.
(For vendor headphones, ask if they don't clean after each person and you're worried before you clean for them.)

10. Notepad and pen.
I usually do that to take immediate impressions faster than typing into phones, notes, contact numbers, etc.
Waiting even one more table to take notes often means the memory has faded or changed.

11. And if you're not driving to the event, but coming from the airport, both uber and lyft, maybe even the local taxi apps.
Were I going, I'd take a Hubble Connected MaskFone BT5.0+EDR filter masque with integrated audio. The Los Ángeles (CA, USA) Basin is a natural smog trap, so good filters are a must; Hubble Connected supports the MaskFone with filter inserts approaching NIOSH N95 (USA), Korean Standard Association KF94 (KOR), 国家标准 Guójiābiāozhǔn 2626-2019 Grade KN95 (CHN), &c. The earpieces of the MaskFone can be dangled on the short cables when auditioning headsets.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #82 of 687
MaskFone_logo_Black-01_500x500.png

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #84 of 687
I sure hope this is true @The Piper. Didn’t see Wells Audio on the SoCal exhibitor list. I was hyped when I read about the system in the Chicago thread.
Jeff Wells himself said he was going to be at CanJam SoCal .

Jun 30, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #85 of 687
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #87 of 687
I will definitely be at SoCal with the Headtrip III monoblocks. I am listening to them right now.
Right now: 🤯

When I listen to Headtrip III monoblocks summit-fi spectacular: 🤯🤯

One for each ear.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #88 of 687
Right now: 🤯

When I listen to Headtrip III monoblocks summit-fi spectacular: 🤯🤯

One for each ear.
Well there you go. It is probably the best headphone setup that I have heard not for sure what the monoblocks will bring to it other than more goodness. It is truly special.

Jun 30, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #89 of 687
As I just posted on the Wells Audio thread - I strongly urge people to go and audition Jeff's setups at CanJam SoCal.
In fact, whoever is going to be at CanJam SoCal and skip an audition of Wells Audio - is not worthy of calling himself (or herself) an audiophile! :wink:

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:48 AM Post #90 of 687
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back