CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #616 of 638
The Aperio was magnificent across the frequency spectrum. The Bravura was outstanding as well but has slightly less impactfull bass.

I am clinically deaf and need to adjust balance significantly to center sound. This means that volume to the left channel is +18db (technically-18db adjustment to the right channel). The good news is that my primary auditory nerve is healthy so if I get enough volume I hear 99% of frequency range.

Although the folks at Warwick acknowledge that the Amp section could be more powerful. Normal hearing folks were at 80% of volume.

I ordered a Stax x9000 as it was the best of the bunch. The crbn struggles with bass and is a little rolled off in the highs. I'm sure you can assume I tend to brighter headphones for insight. For musicality and enjoyment though I love my Meze Elites and the Dan Clark Expanse. Expanse I bought on the spot at canjam socal.

I also bought the LTA Z10E Amp on the spot as well. Just a superb Amp with incredible transparency and tight bass, crystal clear mids and airy treble with great harmonics. I will use my Chord TT2 Dac with mScaler as the dac input to the Z10e.

I also own the Focal Utopia.

For my TV I use the Sparkos Aries II amp with the ifi zen blue as my Bluetooth streamer from my TV. My headphones forvTV use are the Meze Lirics.

For portable use I use the Chord Mojo2/Poly, Roon Arc App, and a pair of empire ears iems.

My home network has a Roon Nucleus connected and my internet is running at 1.2gb speed.

I agree with a lot of your experience. i also thought the aperio was better than the bravura. the volume is what bothered me too. while i don't listen at high volume, every now and then if there's a song I want to jam out to, then it's nice to know I can. outside of that the stax x9000 was the most impressive headphone for me as well. I liked it in the wooaudio room. I have to agree with you on the Z10E as well. I heard the Z10E with another attendee's Sennhieser HE60 (aka "baby orpheus") and that was also very impressive. Great purchases!

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #617 of 638
Post 1 of 2

This is a super late post, but I finally got some sit-down time to write up my impressions of this year's CanJam SoCal experience. I've been in the process of settling in to an apartment-living situation; super excited.

Like previous CanJam SoCal events in years' past, I came along with @Muinarc .

This post will mostly be about the experiences outside of CanJam, while the next post will be about the actual event.

These events always give me a chance to explore the area a little more than I normally would despite being local-ish to the area. I seldom travel to Orange County, so we took the opportunity to visit Newport Beach, which was a nice change of pace from the Los Angeles city life.

Before heading to the beach, we stopped by one of the local coffee shops: Moon Goat Cafe, which was a pretty cozy coffee shop, very quaint! I got myself a mocha and a home-made pumpkin spice poptart. muinarc got a ham and cheese sourdough toast. The poptart was a solid 10/10 for me, and I'd definitely get it again. The coffee was just average to me though.
DSC_8301.jpgDSC_8314.jpgDSC_8323.jpg

Newport Beach itself was very pretty in the late morning. The ocean breeze was relaxing to walk though as we went on a 2-mile walk along the shore. We didn't spot any whales or sea lions in the Pacific Ocean, but we did see some small fish swimming near the dock (anchovies?). There were some people fishing along the dock and some of them managed to catch a fish or two as we passed by!
DSC_8329.jpgDSC_8346.jpg

After the stroll along the beach, we had lunch at a food court in Stanton (Rodeo 39 Public Market) upon the recommendation of one of my coworkers. There were so many good-looking food dishes to choose from it was difficult to make a decision. We ended up getting dishes from 5 different places. I ended up getting some food from the Laotian restaurant, a milk tea beverage, and a nigiri rice ball. muinarc got a bulgogi rice roll and we got two dessert dishes from another place. Too much food

DSC_8454.jpgDSC_8460.jpgDSC_8461.jpg

After stuffing ourselves, we walked off some of the calories at the Micro Center computer store. We are both into building PCs, so we spent a good hour or two gawking at the selection of PC parts available at the newly rennovated store.

The next day was CanJam, so see the next post for impressions there.
DSC_8559.jpg

We have a tradition of getting chicken and waffles at Bruxie, so we went there again this year. It's always so yummy!
DSC_8462.jpg

I volunteered at the event and got to meet fellow Head-Fiers from the area. I'm in the biotechnology field, and it was really cool to meet somoene else in the field while chatting on the downtime we had. Another volunteer lives in the same city as I just moved to, so that was exciting to hear about too.

The first night of CanJam is always exhausting since there's a stimulus overload from everything that goes on on the Saturday. For dinner, we went simple and got pizza at Terra Mia, which was another recommendation from my coworkers. Not bad, not bad. It was kind of a standard New York style pizza, meaning huge slices that can be folded in half and eaten.
DSC_8679.jpgDSC_8680.jpg

We ended up getting dessert at a Michoacana Superior, which is essentially a Hispanic Baskin-Robbins but with waaaaay more flavors to choose from as well as Hispanic snack options. It was a nice way to wind down the day.

We always pass by a Norms restaurant somewhere along the way to CanJam, so this year we bit the bullet and actually decided to go to one. It's a standard breakfast restaurant, but the service and quality of the food were above the norm...haha joke.
DSC_8686.jpg

The second night of CanJam was much more relaxed and we got to catch up with friends in the industry. It's hard to coordinate dinner on the second day though since the CanJam floor teardown can vary from company-to-company.

We ended up meeting with a friend at a Japanese katsu-themed restaurant. I got some tteokbokki to share and an egg sando, while the others got more appetizers and katsu burgers/sando. We barely made it to the restaurant in time before they started to close, so that's one of the challenges of Day 2 of CanJam events. I got a strawberry milk beverage to go with my meal and dang it was tasty!
DSC_8860.jpgDSC_8867.jpgDSC_8868.jpg

Walking back to the hotel, we have a tradition of getting dessert and/or drinks with the group. Fun times catching up with folks.
DSC_8897.jpg

The morning after CanJam events is usually bittersweet for me since I have to say goodbye to friends.

Before heading back home, we stopped by a Korean hot dog/corndog restaurant for a quick brunch snack. Tasty streetfood!
DSC_8902.jpg

We also stopped by Cuban bakery Portos to get brunch. Despite this being my 4th CanJam SoCal event, I hadn't actually gone to Portos before during the CanJam weekend, so it was a nice change of pace. It was much busier at Portos than a typical weekend for some reason, but I overheard some people in line say that they were coming back from an EDM festival during the weekend. Usually Portos is pretty busy, but it was crazy busy that day. This location had really good traffic flow though, which made the wait bearable.
DSC_8911.jpgDSC_8913.jpg

Anyway, this post was just more for the outside CanJam experience. I love making a mini-vacation out of these events, so it's fun to write about them.

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #618 of 638
Post 2 of 2
We always pass by a Norms restaurant somewhere along the way to CanJam, so this year we bit the bullet and actually decided to go to one. It's a standard breakfast restaurant, but the service and quality of the food were above the norm...haha joke.

Now for the actual impressions of CanJam SoCal, I'll discuss a few of them here.

I still find this to be an issue at these events: the WiFi streaming services suck monkey butt. Don't you love sitting at a booth ready to listen to some high-end equipment and on the music source you see: "unstable connection, please try again later"? Yeah...a lot of the audio stations are like that at these events, which is quite unfortunate.

Some of the booths had offline music available, which is good, but the music selection is usually extremely limited. Some people had an album I like, but only some random song from the album that no one listens to.

End rant

I'm not too familiar with A&K's recent offerings, but their room wasn't too busy at one point and I decided to take a gander. They had quite an impressive photo/video booth setup, but I wasn't sure what to make of it since it wasn't being used.

The SR25 MKII/ZERO1 setup was open, so I gave the system a listen and was pleasantly surprised. It was very tonally balanced, and I had no issues with the sound, which is quite rare for an in-ear earphone for me. It reminded me of the Campfire Andromeda back when that was extremely popular years ago: a very inoffensive sound.

The styling of A&K DAPs has always been eye-catching, and the SR25 MKII is no different. The DAP carries the usual unusual angling of the screen: standing upright, the screen is tilted, but when carried in the palm of the hand, it's straightened.
DSC_8710.jpg

The Expanse is probably the headphone I was most curious about at CanJam SoCal. I wasn't a big fan of the Stealth's tuning, but the development of the Metamaterial Tuning System is something I thought would make a big impact on future headphone development for DCA.

Looking at the Expanse's earcups, the outer grille and mesh look like they would allow air to pass through pretty easily. Shining a light source through the other side of the earcup reveals otherwise though: absolutely no light passes through the earcup. This observation is heard as well. Normally, open-back headphones have an altered sound when ones hands are placed over the outer grille. No such thing happens with the Expanse. Why is this? your guess is as good as mine.
DSC_8489.jpgDSC_8532.jpg

Sound-wise, the Expanse's tuning is again not my cup of tea, but I like it more than that of the Stealth. The midrange of the Stealth had an odd-sound to it, almost like it was sucked out. The Expanse has this kind of sound still, but not nearly as much.

Like the Stealth, the Expanse has incredible imaging abilities, being able to place images around my head fairly accurately.

To be honest, I didn't get much out of the Lina system. I heard it with the LCD-X, which is my primary headphone at home, but I couldn't really discern any big changes in sound. Maybe it was due to the less than stellar music selection available offline (see rant above), but nothing about the system 'wowed' me. Rihanna on a $15k setup is probably the limiting factor here...probably.
DSC_8838.jpg

Now this was a very well thought-out setup! Geshelli 'Objective 2'-like amplifiers with a Mackie multi-output pre-amp allowed a seamless and easy way to A/B the different earpads offered by Dekoni Audio. After doing A/B comparisons, I ended up buying a fenestrated sheepskin earpad replacement for my AKG K701 headphones, whose earpads are kind of dying.
DSC_8722.jpg

I wasn't expecting much for the Utopia 2022, but I was pleasantly surprised at what I was hearing at the various setups at CanJam! I found the original Utopia to sound pretty bright to my ears. The Utopia 2022 somehow subdued that brightness, which made it more tolerable to me. The rest of the headphone's frequency spectrum matched that of the original Utopia, which I still think is one of the more technically-competent dynamic headphones out there. Is it worth the $1k USD price hike though? Eh...I liked the Utopia 2022's sound, but it's so similar to the original that I have a hard time justifying the price difference. The styling looks a bit cheesy to me too, so I prefer the looks of the original.
DSC_8508.jpg

Wow.

Enough said, haha. I'm not sure what their setup was, but I listened to the Crbn, Voce, and my SR-303 on the big electrostatic/headphone amp, and it made all 3 estat headphones sound wonderful! The sound was very dynamic, full-bodied, and the imaging was among the best from the electrostatic amplifiers I've heard.
DSC_8662.jpg
DSC_8846.jpg

I can't comment too much on the sound of the 109 Pro model since it was hooked up to a the Forge(?) amp and limited edition George Harrison turntable (which was generously given away via raffle a the end of the weekend) setup, but it sounded like a Meze to me: pretty warm and dark-sounding. Not my favorite sound signature, but it's a very inoffensive sound for most people.
DSC_8669.jpgDSC_8779.jpg
DSC_8667.jpg

I asked the rep how to pronounce the company's name: it's PRO-ject, not Project.

The ritual of putting a vinyl record on the turntable and adjusting the tonearm to the vinyl is something that I never got to experience growing up, so this hobby has re-introduced that to me. I've been looking into purchasing a Pro-ject turn table since it's...debut (haha funny pun) in the Daft Punk Random Access Memories promotional video. I currently don't have the space for setting up a turntable system, but it was really cool to talk to the representative here at a CanJam event.
DSC_8791.jpg

The fully balanced phono pre-amp and headphone amplifier system that they were demonstration certainly sounded good with the Susvara headphones, but I wasn't too familiar with the individual components of the system, including those of the turntable itself (stylus, cartridge, tonearm).

DSC_8468.jpg

I'm not quite sure why there's so much hype for the Urd CD player, so if someone can explain it, that would be much appreciated. It's just a CD player...no? Not sure what happened to their Sol turntable project either, but like the Urd, there seemed to be a cult following for it.
DSC_8743.jpgDSC_8747.jpg

It was cool to see it in person given the hype for it, but pretty much no one that I saw at the booth was using it as a CD player whenever I passed by. The GUI is pretty basic, it's just a CD player, and you have to press and hold the source button to eject the CD tray, which isn't too intuitive.

I gave it a spin with the Luther Vandross CD album they had on hand and it sounded good, but I was also hearing it through the DT 990 Pro and Folkvangr, which likely sound good on their own.

I thought this booth was interesting. T+A had their own DAC/amp setups with their own "planar-magnetostatic" (AKA planer magnetic) headphones. I tried their Solitaire P model and was extremely impressed with the bass presence and inoffensive sound signature. Normally planer magnetic headphones have some sort of brightness that bothers me, and a bass response that sounds rather dull. The bass of the Solitaire P sounded elevated above neutral, but tastefully elevated as to not overwhelm the midrange.

Very interesting headphones. I look forward to seeing how they fare in the community as more people listen to them; they're pretty solid contenders of planer magnetic headphones in my book.
DSC_8544.jpgDSC_8546.jpgDSC_8552.jpg

This was the booth I was most looking forward to at CanJam. Not only is this a really novel way to produce sound as a transducer, but the fact that xMEMS is just an OEM company in of itself.
DSC_8566.jpg
^ that silicon wafer contains the actual piezoelectric diaphragms

The concept prototype in-ears they were showcasing at their booth sounded amazing, almost ethereal like full-size electrostatic headphones (not electret design transducers when in-ear companies say they use "electrostatic" transducers, which ofen don't sound as good as non-electret designs). If an OEM company can make an in-ear sound that good for a basic proof-of-concept product, imagine what a dedicated in-ear earphone company can do to really fine-tune the sound. The sound was coming basically straight out of a Macbook as well; they had a basic amplifier circuit that needed the correct voltage output for the diaphragms (like a non-electret design diaphragm).
DSC_8581.jpg

Michael, who is the main engineer at xMEMS was so enthusiastic about explaining the technology and science behind their product (which again, is just the diaphragm) that his enthusiasm rubbed on me too.
DSC_8575.jpg

I attended their seminar, and with their permission, posted the seminar on YouTube:

For the new electrostatic headphone amplifier, I almost bought the show floor unit. The amplifier itself sounds pretty solid, much richer and more three-dimensional than the STAX amps I'm used to hearing. I specifically brought my SR-404 headphone to CanJam so I could hear it with other non-STAX amps.
DSC_8698.jpg

Switching over to the big e-stat amp, there was definitely a huge step-up in sound quality. Everything I liked from the smaller amp was amplified, literally, with the big one: details were much more apparent, and the soundstage was much more expansive.
DSC_8702.jpgDSC_8703.jpg

I'm not too familiar with Wells Audio and their history, but their setup was so out of whack that I gave it a listen. The Abyss AB1299 sounded great out of the system. I didn't touch the system much though because the cables looked like they were going to be ripped out of either the headphone, or the amplifiers any second if they were moved a few millimeters. Pretty scary.
DSC_8773.jpg

Jude's seminar on Saturday evening was super interesting. He brought up some really good points about headphone measurements and his scientifically-curious mind made me question some things about how people take measurements and how to accurately interpret their results.

Likewise, the data presented from Knowles' seminar was interesting to note, which Jude's seminar piggy-backs off of.

If you didn't browse the xMEMS section above, I attended their seminar, and with their permission, posted the seminar on YouTube:

Fun times. Thank you to the Head-Fi crew for making these events possible! It's always a blast to be able to attend these events and chat in-person with other people in the hobby.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #619 of 638
Post 2 of 2

Now for the actual impressions of CanJam SoCal, I'll discuss a few of them here.

I still find this to be an issue at these events: the WiFi streaming services suck monkey butt. Don't you love sitting at a booth ready to listen to some high-end equipment and on the music source you see: "unstable connection, please try again later"? Yeah...a lot of the audio stations are like that at these events, which is quite unfortunate.

Some of the booths had offline music available, which is good, but the music selection is usually extremely limited. Some people had an album I like, but only some random song from the album that no one listens to.

End rant

I'm not too familiar with A&K's recent offerings, but their room wasn't too busy at one point and I decided to take a gander. They had quite an impressive photo/video booth setup, but I wasn't sure what to make of it since it wasn't being used.

The SR25 MKII/ZERO1 setup was open, so I gave the system a listen and was pleasantly surprised. It was very tonally balanced, and I had no issues with the sound, which is quite rare for an in-ear earphone for me. It reminded me of the Campfire Andromeda back when that was extremely popular years ago: a very inoffensive sound.

The styling of A&K DAPs has always been eye-catching, and the SR25 MKII is no different. The DAP carries the usual unusual angling of the screen: standing upright, the screen is tilted, but when carried in the palm of the hand, it's straightened.
DSC_8710.jpg

The Expanse is probably the headphone I was most curious about at CanJam SoCal. I wasn't a big fan of the Stealth's tuning, but the development of the Metamaterial Tuning System is something I thought would make a big impact on future headphone development for DCA.

Looking at the Expanse's earcups, the outer grille and mesh look like they would allow air to pass through pretty easily. Shining a light source through the other side of the earcup reveals otherwise though: absolutely no light passes through the earcup. This observation is heard as well. Normally, open-back headphones have an altered sound when ones hands are placed over the outer grille. No such thing happens with the Expanse. Why is this? your guess is as good as mine.
DSC_8489.jpgDSC_8532.jpg

Sound-wise, the Expanse's tuning is again not my cup of tea, but I like it more than that of the Stealth. The midrange of the Stealth had an odd-sound to it, almost like it was sucked out. The Expanse has this kind of sound still, but not nearly as much.

Like the Stealth, the Expanse has incredible imaging abilities, being able to place images around my head fairly accurately.

To be honest, I didn't get much out of the Lina system. I heard it with the LCD-X, which is my primary headphone at home, but I couldn't really discern any big changes in sound. Maybe it was due to the less than stellar music selection available offline (see rant above), but nothing about the system 'wowed' me. Rihanna on a $15k setup is probably the limiting factor here...probably.
DSC_8838.jpg

Now this was a very well thought-out setup! Geshelli 'Objective 2'-like amplifiers with a Mackie multi-output pre-amp allowed a seamless and easy way to A/B the different earpads offered by Dekoni Audio. After doing A/B comparisons, I ended up buying a fenestrated sheepskin earpad replacement for my AKG K701 headphones, whose earpads are kind of dying.
DSC_8722.jpg

I wasn't expecting much for the Utopia 2022, but I was pleasantly surprised at what I was hearing at the various setups at CanJam! I found the original Utopia to sound pretty bright to my ears. The Utopia 2022 somehow subdued that brightness, which made it more tolerable to me. The rest of the headphone's frequency spectrum matched that of the original Utopia, which I still think is one of the more technically-competent dynamic headphones out there. Is it worth the $1k USD price hike though? Eh...I liked the Utopia 2022's sound, but it's so similar to the original that I have a hard time justifying the price difference. The styling looks a bit cheesy to me too, so I prefer the looks of the original.
DSC_8508.jpg

Wow.

Enough said, haha. I'm not sure what their setup was, but I listened to the Crbn, Voce, and my SR-303 on the big electrostatic/headphone amp, and it made all 3 estat headphones sound wonderful! The sound was very dynamic, full-bodied, and the imaging was among the best from the electrostatic amplifiers I've heard.
DSC_8662.jpg
DSC_8846.jpg

I can't comment too much on the sound of the 109 Pro model since it was hooked up to a the Forge(?) amp and limited edition George Harrison turntable (which was generously given away via raffle a the end of the weekend) setup, but it sounded like a Meze to me: pretty warm and dark-sounding. Not my favorite sound signature, but it's a very inoffensive sound for most people.
DSC_8669.jpgDSC_8779.jpg
DSC_8667.jpg

I asked the rep how to pronounce the company's name: it's PRO-ject, not Project.

The ritual of putting a vinyl record on the turntable and adjusting the tonearm to the vinyl is something that I never got to experience growing up, so this hobby has re-introduced that to me. I've been looking into purchasing a Pro-ject turn table since it's...debut (haha funny pun) in the Daft Punk Random Access Memories promotional video. I currently don't have the space for setting up a turntable system, but it was really cool to talk to the representative here at a CanJam event.
DSC_8791.jpg

The fully balanced phono pre-amp and headphone amplifier system that they were demonstration certainly sounded good with the Susvara headphones, but I wasn't too familiar with the individual components of the system, including those of the turntable itself (stylus, cartridge, tonearm).

DSC_8468.jpg

I'm not quite sure why there's so much hype for the Urd CD player, so if someone can explain it, that would be much appreciated. It's just a CD player...no? Not sure what happened to their Sol turntable project either, but like the Urd, there seemed to be a cult following for it.
DSC_8743.jpgDSC_8747.jpg

It was cool to see it in person given the hype for it, but pretty much no one that I saw at the booth was using it as a CD player whenever I passed by. The GUI is pretty basic, it's just a CD player, and you have to press and hold the source button to eject the CD tray, which isn't too intuitive.

I gave it a spin with the Luther Vandross CD album they had on hand and it sounded good, but I was also hearing it through the DT 990 Pro and Folkvangr, which likely sound good on their own.

I thought this booth was interesting. T+A had their own DAC/amp setups with their own "planar-magnetostatic" (AKA planer magnetic) headphones. I tried their Solitaire P model and was extremely impressed with the bass presence and inoffensive sound signature. Normally planer magnetic headphones have some sort of brightness that bothers me, and a bass response that sounds rather dull. The bass of the Solitaire P sounded elevated above neutral, but tastefully elevated as to not overwhelm the midrange.

Very interesting headphones. I look forward to seeing how they fare in the community as more people listen to them; they're pretty solid contenders of planer magnetic headphones in my book.

This was the booth I was most looking forward to at CanJam. Not only is this a really novel way to produce sound as a transducer, but the fact that xMEMS is just an OEM company in of itself.
DSC_8566.jpg

The concept prototype in-ears they were showcasing at their booth sounded amazing, almost ethereal like full-size electrostatic headphones (not electret design transducers when in-ear companies say they use "electrostatic" transducers, which ofen don't sound as good as non-electret designs). If an OEM company can make an in-ear sound that good for a basic proof-of-concept product, imagine what a dedicated in-ear earphone company can do to really fine-tune the sound. The sound was coming basically straight out of a Macbook as well; they had a basic amplifier circuit that needed the correct voltage output for the diaphragms (like a non-electret design diaphragm).
DSC_8581.jpg

Michael, who is the main engineer at xMEMS was so enthusiastic about explaining the technology and science behind their product (which again, is just the diaphragm) that his enthusiasm rubbed on me too.
DSC_8575.jpg

I attended their seminar, and with their permission, posted the seminar on YouTube:

For the new electrostatic headphone amplifier, I almost bought the show floor unit. The amplifier itself sounds pretty solid, much richer and more three-dimensional than the STAX amps I'm used to hearing. I specifically brought my SR-404 headphone to CanJam so I could hear it with other non-STAX amps.
DSC_8698.jpg

Switching over to the big e-stat amp, there was definitely a huge step-up in sound quality. Everything I liked from the smaller amp was amplified, literally, with the big one: details were much more apparent, and the soundstage was much more expansive.
DSC_8702.jpgDSC_8703.jpg

I'm not too familiar with Wells Audio and their history, but their setup was so out of whack that I gave it a listen. The Abyss AB1299 sounded great out of the system. I didn't touch the system much though because the cables looked like they were going to be ripped out of either the headphone, or the amplifiers any second if they were moved a few millimeters. Pretty scary.
DSC_8773.jpg

Jude's seminar on Saturday evening was super interesting. He brought up some really good points about headphone measurements and his scientifically-curious mind made me question some things about how people take measurements and how to accurately interpret their results.

Likewise, the data presented from Knowles' seminar was interesting to note, which Jude's seminar piggy-backs off of.

If you didn't browse the xMEMS section above, I attended their seminar, and with their permission, posted the seminar on YouTube:

Fun times. Thank you to the Head-Fi crew for making these events possible! It's always a blast to be able to attend these events and chat in-person with other people in the hobby.

Very interesting write up. Thx for sharing.

The T+A Setup you tested, you only wrote about the Solitaire P(aluminum frame) the pictures in focus Show the Solitaire P-SE(black frame) Which one were you referring to?

Those are 2 different headphones and not just different colors, in case you were unaware of this

Oct 26, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #620 of 638
Post 2 of 2

Thanks for the hype free impressions!

Confirms my hunch that the Expanse is a 'barely open' headphone :D

Also it's not the best headphone in the world just because it measures close to the Harman Target on a measurement fixture.

Also the Utopia 2022 seems very underwhelming for 5000 Euros when you can spend 2000 euros for a 2020 Utopia and EQ the treble down a touch.

The Audeze CRBN and LCD-5 are my favourite TOTL launches of the last 2 years. I've not heard the Stax X9000 yet but I doubt they have solved their bass impact issue with those massive cups with no clamp.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #621 of 638
Very interesting write up. Thx for sharing.

The T+A Setup you tested, you only wrote about the Solitaire P(aluminum frame) the pictures in focus Show the Solitaire P-SE(black frame) Which one were you referring to?

Those are 2 different headphones and not just different colors, in case you were unaware of this
Sounds like T+A is getting a lot of praise this year. I’m very happy with mine! I’m thinking of getting the amp for it also.

Oct 26, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #622 of 638
Post 2 of 2

End rant

DSC_8710.jpg

DSC_8489.jpgDSC_8532.jpg

DSC_8838.jpg

DSC_8722.jpg

DSC_8508.jpg

Wow.

DSC_8662.jpg
DSC_8846.jpg

DSC_8669.jpgDSC_8779.jpg
DSC_8667.jpg

DSC_8791.jpg

DSC_8468.jpg

DSC_8743.jpgDSC_8747.jpg

DSC_8566.jpg

DSC_8581.jpg

DSC_8575.jpg

DSC_8698.jpg

DSC_8702.jpgDSC_8703.jpg

DSC_8773.jpg

Great write up…
About Urd….I have never heard or used it in any capacity but it’s a CD player +DDC with USB out as well. So you can play CD or connect some laptop or non audiophile source like Pi4 to it and it will spit out cleaner digital signal via AES, coax and USB

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #623 of 638
Sounds like T+A is getting a lot of praise this year. I’m very happy with mine! I’m thinking of getting the amp for it also.
I love the electronics even more than the headphones.
T+A delivers highest quality

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #624 of 638
I love the electronics even more than the headphones.
T+A delivers highest quality
So the electronics works well with your other headphones too? Which meze do you like the most? Which has stronger deeper bass the empyrean or elite? I’m thinking getting one of them for my DAP. I hear they have great synergy with DAPs. Thanks!

Oct 26, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #625 of 638
So the electronics works well with your other headphones too? Which meze do you like the most? Which has stronger deeper bass the empyrean or elite? I’m thinking getting one of them for my DAP. I hear they have great synergy with DAPs. Thanks!
I don't have the Ha200 but the R Series MP2000R and PA2000R (with Zynsonix speakertap adapter Box)
The combo with both the Solitaire P and my Mezes is great. The sound is potentially similar to the Ha200, but not the same.
I read many reports of the Meze being great on the Ha200 as well though.

Among the two Mezes the Empyrean has the stronger Bass. It has more quantity for both sub and midbass. However the increase in midbass over the Elite is higher than the increase in subbass which might leave the impression, that the Elite has stronger subbass.
The Elite has the tighter and more textured Bass.
The Elite is my #1 favourite among all headphones, therefore also my fav among it's siblings.

Hope this helps.

Oct 26, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #626 of 638

End rant

Great writeup. I am glad that you recorded Jude's seminar, because I missed it.

WIFI was a problem in the last Canjam I attended as well. That's why I carry a DAP with a playlist of albums in different genres handpicked. That way, I have control over the music selection that I am familiar with, and can compare the same song across multiple setups. Also, a DAP with a dedicated player like UAPP or Neutron sounds better as a source than the iPads many of the booths used.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #627 of 638
I don't have the Ha200 but the R Series MP2000R and PA2000R (with Zynsonix speakertap adapter Box)
The combo with both the Solitaire P and my Mezes is great. The sound is potentially similar to the Ha200, but not the same.
I read many reports of the Meze being great on the Ha200 as well though.

Among the two Mezes the Empyrean has the stronger Bass. It has more quantity for both sub and midbass. However the increase in midbass over the Elite is higher than the increase in subbass which might leave the impression, that the Elite has stronger subbass.
The Elite has the tighter and more textured Bass.
The Elite is my #1 favourite among all headphones, therefore also my fav among it's siblings.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! Very interesting information! Being a bit of a bass head makes it hard to decide between the empy and elite!

Oct 26, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #628 of 638
Thank you! Very interesting information! Being a bit of a bass head makes it hard to decide between the empy and elite!
For a follow Basshead I recommend the Empyrean

Oct 26, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #630 of 638
Like previous CanJam SoCal events in years' past, I came along with @Muinarc .
After EVERY CanJam SoCal - the conclusion I draw is to join you guys for the food adventures next year!
Awesome writeup, even if almost closer to CanJam 2023... :laughing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back