CanJam SoCal 2021 (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #676 of 949
Id rather die than miss Can Jam!

Noooo!!! Live! LIVE! #andcometocanjam :smiley:

I used to travel 4 times a year from Florida to Singapore. 30 hours door to door, so long plane rides don't bother me.

That's a long haul. Was it during the era where they stopped direct flights from the west coast? I didn't like having to stopover at NRT or TPE on the way there.

I probably wouldn't not go to London just for a CanJam, but I would if I could combine it with something else. I want to go to the Montreux Jazz festival. If CanJam London were within 2 weeks of that event, I'd probably do both. Since it is in July, I'd probably do Wimbledon as well.

Well, let's see what kind of magic @third_eye can work with the dates then! :fingers_crossed: 🤣

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #677 of 949
That's a long haul. Was it during the era where they stopped direct flights from the west coast? I didn't like having to stopover at NRT or TPE on the way there.

Well, let's see what kind of magic @third_eye can work with the dates then! :fingers_crossed: 🤣
From Florida it was a double connection. Since I did most of my international travel in the 90s when smoking on a plane was still a thing, I did everything I could to get the upper deck of a 747 to avoid the smoke. I liked the Newark to Hong Kong leg for that on United. Otherwise, SFO was it.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #678 of 949
From Florida it was a double connection. Since I did most of my international travel in the 90s when smoking on a plane was still a thing, I did everything I could to get the upper deck of a 747 to avoid the smoke. I liked the Newark to Hong Kong leg for that on United. Otherwise, SFO was it.
That's interesting, since smoke rises. I understand forced ventilation and all, but yeah -- Now I question airplane sectioning in the pre-aughts.

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #679 of 949
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, there is no way to tell. The world has changed much since the last one (CanJam NYC 2020).

Hard to believe that was the last CanJam, Warren, right in the middle of Manhattan in Feb of 2020 before the world turned upside down. I actually went back to my CanJam NYC '20 show report to re-read it, and noticed how I casually mentioned in the intro about travel restrictions and being sad that many manufacturers from Asia couldn't make it. But the Marriott Marquis was still PACKED, nobody wore a mask, everybody were happy and enjoying the gear, the music, and each others company... I can't wait to return back to CanJam NYC '22 !!!

canjam_nyc_2020-62-canjam_crowd-02.jpg

Sep 15, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #683 of 949
For those coming earlier in the week to OC, there's 2 big events going on of interest.

Cinegear LA - 24th, 25th expo

For anyone who wants to see, feel, and test out all the major A/V and lighting gear used by Hollywood, including wireless set headphones, monitors, and mics, Cinegear LA Expo is free and open 24th and 25th.

HB US open surf competition all week

Also, the huge, famous Huntington Beach US open surf competition is being held all week long. Bring a long zoom camera to get great shots of the world's best surfers!

Cinegear is a ton of fun.

During the last summer break ('19), before my senior year of school. we had an internship program that placed us in roles and set up events like Cinegear for us.

Highly recommended!

(or, you can come with me to Disney on the day before the show!)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #685 of 949
OMG, sooooo many familiar faces in that video! The dude reaching into his pocket at 3:11 is @Zachik btw. :smiley:

Shocked @Zachik isn't at the ZMF booth :o2smile:

Also saw @Watagump at the 3:55 mark (though with no Twizzlers)

@KB at Campfire Audio as usual, and is always great to talk with.

Don't know if I missed Empire Ears in the walkthrough.

Sep 15, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #686 of 949
I've contacted the hotel (Irvine Marriott), and they've mentioned the group rates expired 9/2. It is my fault for procrastinating but would have been nice if the deadline was communicated.
Don't forget to check AAA rates if you belong to AAA. As you'll see, there are many hotels nearby that may be a little less expensive, but don't forget about parking / uber to get to the Irvine Marriott if it's too far to walk. Hope you can make it!

Sep 15, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #687 of 949
Had to spread the love... :wink:
I look younger, slimmer, and with more hair. Youth was so great.......... :thinking:

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #688 of 949
Since I did most of my international travel in the 90s when smoking on a plane was still a thing

Wow, that was ages ago! :smiley:

Hard to believe that was the last CanJam, Warren, right in the middle of Manhattan in Feb of 2020 before the world turned upside down. I actually went back to my CanJam NYC '20 show report to re-read it, and noticed how I casually mentioned in the intro about travel restrictions and being sad that many manufacturers from Asia couldn't make it. But the Marriott Marquis was still PACKED, nobody wore a mask, everybody were happy and enjoying the gear, the music, and each others company... I can't wait to return back to CanJam NYC '22 !!!

canjam_nyc_2020-62-canjam_crowd-02.jpg

And soon we'll be back at the Irvine Marriott!

:thinking: but dat date in the photo credit tho...

Airbnb?
It's OC and tons of really nice homes.

If that house sleeps two, then a couple of people can share for about the same price as the Marriott.

They shoo'd him away for creeping. :stuck_out_tongue:

Had to spread the love... :wink:
I look younger, slimmer, and with more hair. Youth was so great.......... :thinking:

Bro What - that was only four years ago! 🤣 Not ancient history lol!

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #689 of 949
Now that the seminars are locked in, here we go!

CJSC21_Seminars_Banner_01a.jpg

The past few years have seen phenomenal growth in high-end personal audio -- with the number of new product options being eclipsed only by the number of newcomers to the hobby.

To properly welcome everybody that is new to the hobby, we have prepared a series of highly-instructional "101" seminars, suitable for beginners and veterans alike. These seminars - lead by some of the most exceptional experts in personal audio - will establish a foundational knowledge base, expand understanding, shatter myths, and help you choose the gear that is best for you (often through personal Q&A sessions with our instructors).

Please note that we've scheduled all of these highly-instructional seminars to take place early, on Saturday. It is our hope that you'll be able attend them early, then immediately use what you've learned to help you audition and evaluate the gear out on the show floor.

Digital Audio 101 (11:00a)​

Join us for a clear and concise introduction to digital audio and Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs). Learn about different DAC topologies (Delta-Sigma, R2R, etc.), filters, jitter, ringing and whether DAC chips really have a house sound.

Instructor: Michael Goodman, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, CEntrance Technologies

Amplification 101 (12:00p)​

What amp will best drive your headphone(s) of choice? Should you opt for tubes or solid state? Learn the basics of amplification including gain, topology, and classification. Understand how power output, voltage, current, output impedance, damping factor, and distortion will factor into your decisions - and what an amplifier's specifications can and cannot tell you about its performance.

Instructor: Justin Weber, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, ampsandsound

Headphones 101 (2:00p)​

Simple in theory, headphones can be extraordinarily complicated electroacoustic devices. Join us for a clear overview of various driver designs (dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, etc.). Learn about basic acoustics, frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, and more. And most importantly, discover how to choose the headphone that best suits your needs.

Instructor: Everett Manns, Community Manager, Sennheiser

Headphones 201 (3:00p)​

Take your understanding of high-performance headphones to the next level. Explore more advanced acoustical concepts, understand how to interpret headphone measurements, and learn why there is no such thing as a perfect headphone, yet.

Instructor: Dan Clark, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, Dan Clark Audio

Will these be recorded as Videos for those unable to attend?

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #690 of 949
Will these be recorded as Videos for those unable to attend?

Unfortunately, no. Some seminars from past CanJams have been, but I just don't think we'll have the manpower to spare this time around. Sorry. :slight_frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back