CanJam SoCal 2021 (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #648 of 949
Hello, how do I get a CanJam medal on this forum? I've had tickets for this year's CanJam for months.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #649 of 949
You're all set. It's already on your profile.

Everyone: If you're going to be in attendance at CanJam SoCal 2021 and would like a badge on your profile for the event, please send me a PM by clicking here, and I'll get it added to your profile. Let's not clutter the thread with badge requests (as I will remove those posts.)

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #650 of 949
There will be workshops?? Where can we find the schedule?

Now that the seminars are locked in, here we go!

CJSC21_Seminars_Banner_01a.jpg

The past few years have seen phenomenal growth in high-end personal audio -- with the number of new product options being eclipsed only by the number of newcomers to the hobby.

To properly welcome everybody that is new to the hobby, we have prepared a series of highly-instructional "101" seminars, suitable for beginners and veterans alike. These seminars - lead by some of the most exceptional experts in personal audio - will establish a foundational knowledge base, expand understanding, shatter myths, and help you choose the gear that is best for you (often through personal Q&A sessions with our instructors).

Please note that we've scheduled all of these highly-instructional seminars to take place early, on Saturday. It is our hope that you'll be able attend them early, then immediately use what you've learned to help you audition and evaluate the gear out on the show floor.

Digital Audio 101 (11:00a)​

Join us for a clear and concise introduction to digital audio and Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs). Learn about different DAC topologies (Delta-Sigma, R2R, etc.), filters, jitter, ringing and whether DAC chips really have a house sound.

Instructor: Michael Goodman, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, CEntrance Technologies

Amplification 101 (12:00p)​

What amp will best drive your headphone(s) of choice? Should you opt for tubes or solid state? Learn the basics of amplification including gain, topology, and classification. Understand how power output, voltage, current, output impedance, damping factor, and distortion will factor into your decisions - and what an amplifier's specifications can and cannot tell you about its performance.

Instructor: Justin Weber, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, ampsandsound

Headphones 101 (2:00p)​

Simple in theory, headphones can be extraordinarily complicated electroacoustic devices. Join us for a clear overview of various driver designs (dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, etc.). Learn about basic acoustics, frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, and more. And most importantly, discover how to choose the headphone that best suits your needs.

Instructor: Everett Manns, Community Manager, Sennheiser

Headphones 201 (3:00p)​

Take your understanding of high-performance headphones to the next level. Explore more advanced acoustical concepts, understand how to interpret headphone measurements, and learn why there is no such thing as a perfect headphone, yet.

Instructor: Dan Clark, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, Dan Clark Audio

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #651 of 949
Do we need to sign up in advance, or can we drop in? Any word on length?

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #652 of 949
About an hour, each, and for me at least I’ll be saving some of that time for Q&A at the end, because no doubt people will have great questions! There weren’t sign-ups in the past, and the rooms were big enough for leftover seats.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #653 of 949

As @Evshrug pointed out, there are no prior sign-ups. That said, seating is first-come, first-served, and will be socially-distanced. So if you want a good seat up front, I'd come maybe a few minutes early or thereabouts?

I've been working with the instructors about the content of each seminar. So as not to run into the one after it, each seminar will be a maximum of one-hour, with plenty of time for Q&A to answer personal questions within that hour.

Sep 14, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #654 of 949
As @Evshrug pointed out, there are no prior sign-ups. That said, seating is first-come, first-served, and will be socially-distanced. So if you want a good seat up front, I'd come maybe a few minutes early or thereabouts?

I've been working with the instructors about the content of each seminar. So as not to run into the one after it, each seminar will be a maximum of one-hour, with plenty of time for Q&A to answer personal questions within that hour.
What is the rough expected attendance of the event?

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #655 of 949
What is the rough expected attendance of the event?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, there is no way to tell. The world has changed much since the last one (CanJam NYC 2020).

Sep 14, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #656 of 949
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, there is no way to tell. The world has changed much since the last one (CanJam NYC 2020).
Add to that, I bet there will be a lot of Vlogger coverage. With travel difficult and this being pretty much the only headphone show in a year and a half, there is probably a lot of opportunity for views.

I mean, the Marriott’s CanJam room block being sold out at least says something 😉

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #657 of 949
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #658 of 949
Now that the seminars are locked in, here we go!

The past few years have seen phenomenal growth in high-end personal audio -- with the number of new product options being eclipsed only by the number of newcomers to the hobby.

To properly welcome everybody that is new to the hobby, we have prepared a series of highly-instructional "101" seminars, suitable for beginners and veterans alike. These seminars - lead by some of the most exceptional experts in personal audio - will establish a foundational knowledge base, expand understanding, shatter myths, and help you choose the gear that is best for you (often through personal Q&A sessions with our instructors).

Please note that we've scheduled all of these highly-instructional seminars to take place early, on Saturday. It is our hope that you'll be able attend them early, then immediately use what you've learned to help you audition and evaluate the gear out on the show floor.

Digital Audio 101 (11:00a)​

Join us for a clear and concise introduction to digital audio and Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs). Learn about different DAC topologies (Delta-Sigma, R2R, etc.), filters, jitter, ringing and whether DAC chips really have a house sound.

Instructor: Michael Goodman, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, CEntrance Technologies

Amplification 101 (12:00p)​

What amp will best drive your headphone(s) of choice? Should you opt for tubes or solid state? Learn the basics of amplification including gain, topology, and classification. Understand how power output, voltage, current, output impedance, damping factor, and distortion will factor into your decisions - and what an amplifier's specifications can and cannot tell you about its performance.

Instructor: Justin Weber, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, ampsandsound

Headphones 101 (2:00p)​

Simple in theory, headphones can be extraordinarily complicated electroacoustic devices. Join us for a clear overview of various driver designs (dynamic, planar magnetic, electrostatic, etc.). Learn about basic acoustics, frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, and more. And most importantly, discover how to choose the headphone that best suits your needs.

Instructor: Everett Manns, Community Manager, Sennheiser

Headphones 201 (3:00p)​

Take your understanding of high-performance headphones to the next level. Explore more advanced acoustical concepts, understand how to interpret headphone measurements, and learn why there is no such thing as a perfect headphone, yet.

Instructor: Dan Clark, Founder & Lead Engineer/Designer, Dan Clark Audio

Will these be recorded or available for viewing later ?

Sep 14, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #660 of 949
If it's like other recent, big events in OC I've been to, my bet is 2/3rds normal.
Some normally attending just won't take the risk.
What is normal? This is my first CanJam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back