CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 9, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #77 of 521
How does it compare to the WA33 sound-wise?

This was on the actual main showroom floor so it was a bit noisy, so I hesitate to make any definitive comments. It did a great job powering the Utopias and there was impressive bass and midrange performance. Treble was sparkly but like I said, it was noisy so I can't give a really accurate opinion.

First impressions were very good though, and I think it's probably a winner. But I can't imagine that it's better than the WA33--I have never heard a tube amplifier sound so impressive in my life.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #79 of 521

​Yes, it's very cool. It looks like the headphone amp that Darth Vader would buy ("the Force is stong in this one..."). I'll see if I can take a picture of it today.

what amp is that by cavali

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #80 of 521
  My biggest standouts after trying 80% of everything:

1. Woo Audio WA33 300B tube amp with Focal Utopia: Effortless, transparent, immaculate energy, pristine realism, visceral impact
      Almost brought me to tears. MUST TRY.
  2. Cavalli Audio Liquid Tungsten amp with Focal Utopia via DAVE DAC: Much of the same as above including spine tingling realism, would need an A/B which isn't feasible
  3. Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow (with unknown amp): My 2nd listen to this can I've confirmed it's the best closed back I've ever heard.
    Superb realism, great tonality, details, lush mids, nicely extended treble but not fatiguing, and was said to work well balanced or SE depending on amp.
  4. Brainwaves B300 IEM's: linear yet slightly 'musical' signature, dynamic, clear crisp, good stage, bass that's not too overdone or underdone
  5. MONOTOR amp from Little Labs: very impactful, transparent amp with amazing detail and soundstage, especially for it's modest / transportable size and modest price. 
  6. Newest prototype DAP from Pioneer: superb performer of a DAP with amazing soundstage, detail and subterranean bass reproduction. Full Android functionality

what new pioneer dap ???

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #83 of 521
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #84 of 521
I tried the new "Mini Platinum", which I swear sounded like a miniature Liquid Carbon...Truly an amazing little amp!

Which manufacturer makes that? Too many posts, can't keep up lol
etysmile.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #86 of 521
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #88 of 521
Apr 9, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #89 of 521
Are SONOMA at CanJam with the Model One Electrostatic Headphone System? As the M1 is shipping now and I really wonder how it sounds?!?

Yes they are here. Sounds pretty good but the clamp is heavy other than that pretty comfy. Hard to judge headphones here because so noisy. I just don't like that they have a proprietary cable and amp.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #90 of 521
Can someone ask Zach how much he will charge me to make an Atticus in Zebrawood,and how it will impact the sound...
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back