CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #226 of 521
Originally Posted by grizzlybeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why do they take high end gear and skip the most important part...The high end DAC? 
I think ampsandsound did the same thing. 
Makes it tough to really assess gear because if you go home and buy one and it doesn't sound as good then you know you need to step your DAC up. But if you go and listen and prefer some gear from another table or something that actually had a good DAC then you will not have good bearings. 

Hey Lee.

We wanted to bring a wider variety of docs to offer but as we were showing all of the headphone amps at the same time ran out of power options.
We had a great front end with Amarra but needed to use DACs that were USB powered. Ive ordered up a really special DAC to demo with but it wasn't ready and we would have needed to go with a simpler setup... like most things there were compromises. It was our 1st time showing all the different options all at once which was pretty cool. :).

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #227 of 521
  Just a reminder that our SoCal discount ends today at midnight GMT! discount code Socal2017 for 15% of our web store, All orders from our US store are shipped from our US warehouse.

coupon code did not work

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #228 of 521
Apr 11, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #229 of 521
Thanks to the CanJam Global staff for organizing the event!

It is always fun to meet old and new friends at CanJams, and CanJam SoCal 2017 was no exception!

SPiN - The Standard was very nice and had that vibrant L.A. club atmosphere feel to it.  Many thanks to @LoryWiv and his wife for coming out.  Lory is very good at table tennis and was a joy to play with someone as competitive, and awesome, as he is.  It was great to give his wife pointers, but she is a very fast learner, and soon, I had to play harder just so she could get better looks!  Definitely insightful conversation about children (thanks for the advice!) and intriguing discussions with regards to various topics, also.  Later in the evening I got an invite to play with a regular there, so we played for about an hour straight -- that was fun as well!  

I didn't bring a whole lot of gear with me to CanJam SoCal (Reference CIEM UEPRR, reference/balanced closed-back headphone Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony, uber budget IEM GranVela V6 and DAP QP1R), but it was fun to share my electric stand-up Swagger scooter with my friends, CanJam Global Staff and their children.  @third_eye's son was a natural, better than pretty much all of the adults...

Both days at CanJam SoCal were amazing, and it was great to try out and compare specific IEMs and DAPs.  One of my favorite standouts of the show is the JH Lola - quite a different sound signature than my Layla when I listened to both back to back, but the Lola is a very good hybrid C/IEM, nonetheless. Looking forward to discussing about most I've listened to in the near future.  

Last but not least, thanks to the exhibitors for your munificence, and look forward to being enamored with future equipment!

Next up, CanJam London 2017 - hope to see those who can make it, there!

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #230 of 521
  Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4

Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjZPFBD6JU

Elvis Presley - In The Getto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw

Paul Simon - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4YyXVoWeA

If you could only choose 4 songs for a demo, you could do a lot worse than this list!
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #231 of 521

If you could only choose 4 songs for a demo, you could do a lot worse than this list!
beerchug.gif

Meh. I was hoping for at least one death metal track...
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #232 of 521

beerchug.gif

Meh. I was hoping for at least one death metal track...
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

I was glad many of the exhibitors had Tidal going with internet access. That way, you could just search for any artist on there and play it. 

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #235 of 521
I had a great time at canjamsocal. It was a clean, modern venue. Backpacks and distractions necessitate wide passageways and it was a very comfortable, large space to negotiate. The overall location was great with plenty of food options. I was inside about four and a half hours. I often used my phone’s music and oppo pm-3s.
Audioquest: This was probably my favorite booth due largely to my current needs. I own a DFB and am interested in the nightowl, DFR, and the jitterbug. The three different people I spoke with were very professional and articulate. The nightowl is very comfortable, with good soundstage, and smooth sounding. The red is noticeably better than the black—everything improves, including bass. Not sure if the jitterbug did anything. The violelectric amp seemed to work very well with the nightowls. Enjoyed two fruitful visits to the audioquest setup. Thanks for your hospitality guys.
Chord: Very nice guy manning the chord station helped me listen to the mojo. A full sound. Perhaps a little smeared in comparison to the dragonflies. Perhaps this perceived smear changes as you use better file sizes, but my phone and PM-3 liked the clarity of the dragonflies better. Won’t necessarily rule out the mojo in the future when I venture into DSD.
Darin Fong Audio: Darin was a true gentleman and a pleasure to talk to. His software mimics loudspeakers of your choice, inside your headphones. He had half a dozen cans to listen to during a short, clear demo. I can see myself using his software for movies and will happily do so as I won the raffle for said software. I have a one bedroom apartment, and although it’s a large living room, for aesthetic and spatial reasons I am unable and not interested in setting up more than two loudspeakers. Even in a dedicated room it’s hard to get enough area for multiple identical, large loudspeakers. I don’t even want to put a center speaker in my room. I’m sure my downstairs neighbor doesn’t want to hear a subwoofer either so you can see why Darin’s demo was a valuable one to me.
Focal: Listened to a wonderful Naim Utopia pairing that was “just right.” It felt neutral and accurate and I enjoyed listening for a long time. It didn’t make me melt or drop my jaw. I just felt the music was conveyed the way it was supposed to be.
Mr. Speakers: Smooth sound out of aeon, flow, and flow c. The cups on the flow c fit my ears way better than aeon. Very kind help behind the table at the Mr. Speakers booth. The music interface was the best I experienced at the show: large screen and fast music selection response. Had been curious about the Mr. Speakers liquid carbon pairing for some time and it did not disappoint. Long-time listenability with that combo.
Schiit: Very accessible and drool worthy looking set ups called to you at this booth. Didn’t have to wait in lines. Enjoyed extended listening sessions with gungnir, molnir 2, and (I think) aeon; and also yggy, rag, and ether flow. First impression that comes to mind is again the obvious one: smooth because of those mr. speakers cans. My oppos loved the schiit gear as well. My impression of schiit amps is that they do no harm and they handle difficulties with aplomb.
Sonoma Acoustics: was really interested in this dac amp headphone combo because I think it looks handsome in pics and I think electro stats are possibly my ultimate goal due to my classical music loving tendencies. Comfortable to wear, but also the most open headphone I tried on the day, so ambient noise was just too much for me to be able to make an assessment. So much noise went in from the outside that I can’t even make a guess how these sounded and that was with the volume knob turned past 12 O’clock. The two guys manning the station were helpful and knowledgeable.
Sony: Great experience with kind, cool people helping out. Located in the same corner as Sonoma but all were closed cans and I had no problem picking out the wonderful musical details in their products. Listened to their flagship cans, portable player, and desktop amp. That is pretty much a cream of the crop setup with great musicality. Was impressed with their noise cancelling cans and their sound quality.
The Source AV: Listened to a qp1r with my headphones and the meze 99 classics. Also listened to the questyle 600 amp with my headphones. Very good experience overall. I could be very happy with the dap and/or desktop amp. They use different chips but the sound in both was very likeable to my ear. The meze made the music fun and lively and I was glad to finally discover what the hype was about. I think the meze are probably priced about right. I was grateful for being able to try a bunch of different gear at the source av’s booth.
Wells Audio: listened to the new and improved, very soulful sounding abyss through the wells amp. The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, and I have promises to keep. And one of those promises is that though the abyss sounds lovely, dark, and deep, I just cannot justify that eyesore with that kind of cost. Abyss, were I rich, you still shall not enter the confines of my abode with thy homely presence however holy present thy sound may be.

I wish I had had more time there to record some further impressions, but I was grateful for what I did hear and see. I should point out something about atmosphere noise. I tried to focus on closed cans because I wasn't going to get much from open cans in that environment. It's nice to hear this stuff of course, but the reality is you need a lot longer to properly judge this equipment anyway. My takeaway from meets is that hearing stuff in short bursts with noisy distractions can be nice occasionally, but is far from definitive in determining whether someone say, likes the DFR better than the mojo. What is unquestionably valuable is being able to see the gear live instead of through a professional photo online, to pick up an amp and feel its heft, to see how the knob turns, how the buttons feel, etc. It's also nice to have a conversation with an owner rather than back and forth question and answers from customer service. I know those are givens but when I read some (very few) reviews complaining about the noise I just want to say: be a little realistic and grateful for what you Can get out of it. Thanks for a fantastic experience canjam organizers. You should be very proud.
From all of us at TSAV we thank you for the kind words but there is no need to feel greatful, it is what we do for living after all ...right?

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 11, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #236 of 521

I was glad many of the exhibitors had Tidal going with internet access. That way, you could just search for any artist on there and play it. 

I had free rein over the laptop while listening to the Orpheus. The tracks off of Tidal were unbearable. Could be the wifi card, power, router, whatever. I told Wally about it and he said that's why Sennheiser wants everything to be played via local files. So, if you ever get a chance to listen to the Orpheus and have control of the laptop, play the local files.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #238 of 521
  I had free rein over the laptop while listening to the Orpheus. The tracks off of Tidal were unbearable. Could be the wifi card, power, router, whatever. I told Wally about it and he said that's why Sennheiser wants everything to be played via local files. So, if you ever get a chance to listen to the Orpheus and have control of the laptop, play the local files.

I wonder if the settings were correctly set, specifically HiFi and Exclusive Mode.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #239 of 521

I wonder if the settings were correctly set, specifically HiFi and Exclusive Mode.

Yes, almost certainly a Tidal or sound card setting. Data delivery via a network is basically all or nothing.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #240 of 521
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4

Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbjZPFBD6JU

Elvis Presley - In The Getto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ox1Tore9nw

Paul Simon - "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf4YyXVoWeA

Thanks! I saw you post this 4 songs before.but when I auditioned HE1 I found that there are about 10 or more songs.most of them I was not familiar with.I chose randomly and some are not in this 4 Do you know the full list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back