CanJam SoCal 2016 Impressions Thread (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #571 of 658

I need a homeopathic use for chocolate...

It depends on the chocolate, not this palm kernel oil, sugar, milk product concoction most people eat. Natural chocolate is fantastic.

Burp...I am generally not picky. Now back to CanJam....

The new ModWright Tryst headphone amp. A favorite of mine from the show. Coming in for review in April!

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #572 of 658
Hiya, had a great time at Canjam.. only was able to make it Saturday (drove down from West LA), but spent a good long time checking everything out.  I had never heard MrSpeakers new Ether cans before and was impressed enough that I walked off with a pair of Ether C by the end of the show... well I had gone in hoping to find a closed pair I liked!  Dan was of course just as incredibly friendly as when I briefly saw him last summer in DC.  Glad to support a small local business too!

The Kannon vibrato-phones were highly entertaining, especially when I hit some extra-bassy tracks (some nice Prydz).  Good entertainment cans, I bet they would be loads of fun with movies or games, though I just put my music in when I tried them on.  Probably excellent for someone that can't put a big sub in their space!

I had never tried HE-1000 before and was quite surprised by how nice those sounded.  I'll have to come back next time I see them and analyze more closely, as it was just a quick listen before I moved on.

Of course the STAX always manages to amaze me with their sound.  There's just something different about how they project the music... and the listening room was excellently isolated so there really wasn't much background noise.  I just wish I had realized there was an electrostatic pseudo-Ether sitting next to all the others I tried on and I would have given that a try as well!

I was really more focused on the headgear portion this time around... but next time I'll be sure to carry around a nice reference pair and attempt impressions of amp/dac setups.  I've never focused much on that end beyond getting what I need power-wise, but I'm open to sliding down that slippery slope 
smily_headphones1.gif

Now... how do I get one of those shiny badges? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #574 of 658
well i'm having a good time, running around sitting down when something opens up, i'm a big fan of hifiman headphones, and yup got to meet Mr Fong him self, and try out the Shangri La, and this very awesome portable dap they have coming too....

A new DAP coming from HifiMan ! When ? Any info ? Any pics ....

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #575 of 658

One happy camper! I want to thank the Cardas Audio gang for a great experience at CanJam. I was really impressed with the new A8 Ear Speaker and while at the booth they went so far as to help me download a QR Reader and upload a picture from my iPhone to their Facebook page. I learned lots of stuff at CanJam! I hate to say it but I ended up buying a different set of IEM's but in Cardas defense the ones I chose cost 3x as much retail... Well I won the A8's and gave them to my wife, needless to say she is thrilled to have a great sounding IEM too. Listening to the A8's now through my QP1R. Really solid guys and gals, this is a great product. I do prefer them to Cardas previous IEM offering, they have a very clear open sound. Impressive imaging and sound stage. Good balance through the frequency range from high to low. Not a thick or fat warm sound but I think much closer to the really expensive stuff than to others in its price range. Budget high end for sure. Also they are built really well, very substantial, nice cable and they look and feel nice.

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #579 of 658

@mikemercer is in the building!

Cavalli Audio Liquid Tungsten - Listening to it with my HE1000 was a wholly immersive and wonderfully resolute experience.  Enough said.

In all the Tungsten's glory

I was super tired each and every single night that I was there... but I have to admit, that room was great fun!
beerchug.gif

LOL, uh oh, this thread is about to get super long!  
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

What on Earth do you mean?
normal_smile .gif

LOL, your QP1R comparisons are... um... comprehensive!  
biggrin.gif

Hey @moedawg140
, did you get a chance to get a quiet audition with the Tungsten?

As for the Tungsten, I didn't get to listen to it at all with my favorite current DAP (the QP1R), but what I did hear was good at least - not in the most quiet of situations, that's why I'm not giving any impressions of any length more than a brief thought, as I do not want to share any information that may or may not be misconstrued the right or wrong way. No worries though, you know how to get to me if you want any extended feedback from me! 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about doing a little mini-meet around here, and bringing the Tungsten out for more auditions.  That's why I ask, because I'm thinking that we might want some quieter and more extended auditions.  
smile.gif

@moedawg140, your time with the Tungsten may not have been the quietest, but it did lead to some of my favorite pictures of the trip...

You had me cracking up dude. Bustin' a move, lol!!

You know what else is funny about that?  @jw111's relative lack of motion in comparison!

I would love to hear more impressions of the UERR, especially from UERM owners. A worthy upgrade?

Hey Sam, I might be able to help you out here.  I have a custom UERM, but I also have universal demos for both the UERM and UERR.  Maybe we could meet up sometime?  I know you're on the westside (I'm by the Marina).

Sorry @warrenpchi! Better late than never I suppose.
biggrin.gif

Ah, it's been a busy week for me, so finally I can sit down on this Good Friday to draw up some impressions from Canjam. Got myself a brewsky tonight too, because even Jason admits that some booze will always provide better audio gainz than any DAC upgrade.

No worries dude!  Glad you had a chance to take a breather and relax for a bit.  It's been a very busy week here as well, so I understand exactly how that goes.  
smile.gif

I know I'm more biased towards Schiit's MB offerings, and I would one day love to try the Tungsten on a Gungnir/Yggdrasil. 

I see this amp as something you would listen for hours on end, something that'll keep you up until you realize that work is in a couple of hours.

Hooking it up to my Yggy tonight!  Hopefully it won't screw me up for some early morning meetings tomorrow.  
redface.gif

I had the pleasure in chatting with him for a bit; lovely fella, so so humble.

Yeah, that's pretty much Alex in a nutshell.  Well, that and the whole designs-awesome-amps thing he's got going on.  
smile.gif

I did forget to ask him why name the amp Tungsten and not Platinum---could it be that another Cavalli beast is in the works?

Yes.

Anyway, great Canjam experience. Thanks to the guys who put it up, especially Warren, always nice to say hi to you. I know you've been more busy as of late, but you still try to do it all with a smile. Taking back what I said earlier about being nonchalant prior to attending, I left Canjam excited for what this year has in store for our hobby... but at the same time, it's pretty nice to come home and not feel like something is missing with my setup. Slowly but surely right? Take care, guys. Happy listening.

Thanks dude!  I actually didn't have anything to do with organizing CanJam this time around... as I had to leave Team CanJam to join Cavalli Audio right before CanJam Singapore earlier this year.  But I'm glad you had a great time!  My first CanJam (RMAF 2013) was a huge eye-opener for me, and it made we want to step deeper into the hobby than ever before.  
smile.gif

BTW, keep that HD 650 and BH love going for as long as you can!  It only gets more expensive from there... remember, that sorry-for-your-wallet thing is funny because it's true!  
biggrin.gif

A new DAP coming from HifiMan ! When ? Any info ? Any pics ....

Every time you post, I am more convinced that I gave you the perfect custom title!  
biggrin.gif
  Will I see you at CanJam London 2016 later this year?

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #580 of 658

Hey Sam, I might be able to help you out here.  I have a custom UERM, but I also have universal demos for both the UERM and UERR.  Maybe we could meet up sometime?  I know you're on the westside (I'm by the Marina).

Hey Warren,
I'll give you a buzz when I get back to California in about six weeks. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #581 of 658

LOL, your QP1R comparisons are... um... comprehensive!  
biggrin.gif

Goodness.  I didn't even know you read my review. 
normal_smile .gif

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about doing a little mini-meet around here, and bringing the Tungsten out for more auditions.  That's why I ask, because I'm thinking that we might want some quieter and more extended auditions.  
smile.gif

Keep me posted, you know how to get to me! 
beerchug.gif

You know what else is funny about that?  @jw111's relative lack of motion in comparison!

@jw111 was simply mindblown with the differences I was showing him with the 0 XBass, 1 XBass dot and 3 XBass dots switches of the iFi Audio iCAN Micro SE amp paired with the HE1000 and QP1R! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #582 of 658

Will I see you at CanJam London 2016 later this year?

Sure, I will go this year to Munich's High-End Show in May and then to CanJam Londo.  

Those are my 2 "must go" event to meet other crazy peoples like us. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #583 of 658

Sure, I will go this year to Munich's High-End Show in May and then to CanJam Londo.  

Those are my 2 "must go" event to meet other crazy peoples like us. 
biggrin.gif

See you again! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #584 of 658
  Snip

smile.gif

Snip

If you do this, send a shout my way.  Sometimes I can get down to SoCal for no particular reason other than a headphone related thing and a visit with friends.  Once in a while I can even tie some business in, and get work to pay for the trip.  Same on the UERM / UERR test drive, though me actually doing something about that is a ways off.  I have a pair of ciems, I just don't like them that much....

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #585 of 658
..especially when I hit some extra-bassy tracks (some nice Prydz).  

Yesss a fellow Prydz fan. I used a little Prydz to demo the Edition X cans and wow. Definitely my next headphones. (Actually my girlfriend's next headphones cuz she loved them too, but I'll for sure be cranking em when she's not around)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back