CanJam SoCal 2016 Impressions Thread (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #121 of 658

Just listened to the much-hyped Meze 99 Classics, and let me say, they live up to every word of it. Holy smokes. Honestly, I'm not sure that there is anything that can touch these value-wise for $309 right now.

Warm, romantic signature that is just killer for rock music and electronic. Big bass punch and sultry vocal delivery reminds me of the HE500 - it really has that lush planar-like delivery. Female vocals are just stellar on the 99 Classics, IMO.

Talked to Antonio Meze for a little bit, and he's a really cool, nice and open guy. I guess they are only 7 people over there. Pretty cool hearing how it all came together.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of these and do a full review. Really, at their price point, this is one of the biggest no-brainers out there right now. Just a killer product and value, IMO. Be sure and check them out, if you get the opportunity.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #122 of 658

Mike from Woo Audio told me that the WA8 isnt designed to be carried around in a pocket.He said it was more geared towards folks who travel and want to have reference quality sound while on a business trip or for taking with you to A/B headphones.

I thought to myself thats kind of a niche within a niche within a niche,but thats my humble opinion.

True, the size and battery life limit its portability but it is transportable and fewer wires needed.

Main advantage (imo) is that it won't take up a ton of desk space unlike most other full tube amps. Impressions suggest the WA8 provides the sound of a huge tube amp despite it's much smaller footprint.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #123 of 658

Just listened to the much-hyped Meze 99 Classics, and let me say, they live up to every word of it. Holy smokes. Honestly, I'm not sure that there is anything that can touch these value-wise for $309 right now.

Warm, romantic signature that is just killer for rock music and electronic. Big bass punch and sultry vocal delivery reminds me of the HE500 - it really has that lush planar-like delivery. Female vocals are just stellar on the 99 Classics, IMO.

Talked to Antonio Meze for a little bit, and he's a really cool, nice and open guy. I guess they are only 7 people over there. Pretty cool hearing how it all came together.

I'm probably going to pick up a pair of these and do a full review. Really, at their price point, this is one of the biggest no-brainers out there right now. Just a killer product and value, IMO. Be sure and check them out, if you get the opportunity.

How about comfort for long listening sessions? Heat? Pressure? 

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #124 of 658

True story! Antonio has done a great job voicing that headphone. I had a nice talk with him at the booth. I also got to save him a little grief:The black model on display had a fairly serious channel imbalance. This will be my go to recommendation for ~$300 headphones

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #126 of 658

How about comfort for long listening sessions? Heat? Pressure? 

Initial comfort was great, not sure about long term. Only listened for 20 minutes or so. Long enough to put them through the paces with my test tracks (plus a little more because they were so dang fun).

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #128 of 658
  ....i'm a big fan of hifiman headphones, and yup got to meet Mr Fong him self, and try out the Shangri La, and this very awesome portable dap they have coming too.....

A new DAP from Hifiman  !!  Finally !   a successor to the hifiman 901  
biggrin.gif
  ??

Someone got any info ? when ? Bigger & better than the AK380 ? 

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #129 of 658
My favorite setups at the show were the Wells Audio Headtrip Reference amp + La Scala + JPS SC cables and the Woo Audio WA5 LE with Sophia Princess tubes (both with Abyss). That amp is just incredible, a worthy step up from the original Headtrip. You just have to hear it. That Woo setup was hypnotic and dreamy. Thoroughly impressed. Great work to both Jack Wu and Jeff Wells.

I did spend most of my time with the electrostatics as they're more difficult to obtain for in-home auditions. I see what the craze is about. I'm an Abyss kinda guy but I must admit the speed, detail, and ridiculous transparency of the Stax is immensely enjoyable.

The Stax 009 + BHSE setup was quite impressive (especially for vocals) however I firmly believe it to be quite lacking on the low-end. That's a deal breaker for me. The Shangri-La had a bit more low-end (still not enough for my tastes) and sounded very pleasant to my ears. From memory, it had a more natural tonality compared to the 009 + BHSE setup. The MrSpeakers Electrostatics did have the qualities you would expect from electrostatics. Not sure what the pricing is for this can but it wasn't at the level of the 009 or Shangri-La.

The surprises from the show were the Heron 5, WA8, and the Meze 99. The 2nd gen Beyerdynamic T1 also sounded fantastic. I'm a bit confused as to why the T5P is identically priced as it sounds obviously inferior to my ears. Horses for courses.

I wouldn't listen to the Chord DAVE because you'll probably want to sell your car to get one. My ears have been graced by many high-end DACs...and this one is...different. :)

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #131 of 658
I was at CanJam yesterday and these are just some simple bullets:

+ Nice set up and easy to get to
+ Dangerous place to come, all the toys for me. But that big mall right next door for the wife
+ Focused on IEM's and Android DAP's . But the portable WOO amp, sweeeeeeeet
+ The Pavillion gave good space to accommodate all auditioning
+ I was hoping to see more Japanese firms. Only Pioneer,Onkyo and Radus
+ Great conversations, enjoyed talking with the guys at 64Audio,Empire Ears, Atomic and Canjyin
+ Radus is looking for US distributors. Their small micro USB and iOs connector DAC's are awesome. The micro USB has 60 milli watts but really increased the LG V10 substantially
+ Super Darts from Atomic really kicked, talk about having inline control for android DAP'S and phones
+Canyin I5 really sweet device, but they have layered their propietary UI versus what all other guys have done
+Empire Ears Zeus XIV that I crazy how well these things are tuned. I was not expecting as the whole driver thing does not really always result on a better experience. But they nailed it
+Noble, nice units no doubt from a construction perspective. Have mixed feelings based on my auditioning. But they seemed to be looking at Apple for marketing approach
+64Audio, extremely friendly and very focused on people auditioning with clarifications,etc. U12 really nice,made me doubt the whole driver conversation. U12 , EE Zeus XIV are very close
+JH I just cannot get "feel" their sound. I can't really put my finger on it. Also did not like the guy working the booth was with a vapor. They do not allow those on planes, starbucks,etc
+Alo audio, finally tried Layla, sweet units. I think they are very close to the Jupiter's. I really liked t ceramic housing
+On the DAP side the Android units will take over. Free software will be the big driver. X7 and I5 a very close. I liked the form factor of the I5 maybe the volume dial. Pioneer is the one that I believe hits th right value point. Onkyo will be challenged by I5 when both hit the market. Echobox is too simple, they need to add something else than just wood
+ Maybe I missed them but it would be awesome to have IEM cable vendors there to try out the different types. Only ALO was available for that

Great organization, great event

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #132 of 658
Had a great time there. Everyone was super nice and we can't wait to come again next year.

Memorable favorites from the show were the nighthawk/v281 combo, the taction kannons, the new UERM. I'll post more impressions when I'm back at my computer.

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #134 of 658
I was at CanJam yesterday and these are just some simple bullets:

+ Nice set up and easy to get to
+ Dangerous place to come, all the toys for me. But that big mall right next door for the wife
+ Focused on IEM's and Android DAP's . But the portable WOO amp, sweeeeeeeet
+ The Pavillion gave good space to accommodate all auditioning
+ I was hoping to see more Japanese firms. Only Pioneer,Onkyo and Radus
+ Great conversations, enjoyed talking with the guys at 64Audio,Empire Ears, Atomic and Canjyin
+ Radus is looking for US distributors. Their small micro USB and iOs connector DAC's are awesome. The micro USB has 60 milli watts but really increased the LG V10 substantially
+ Super Darts from Atomic really kicked, talk about having inline control for android DAP'S and phones
+Canyin I5 really sweet device, but they have layered their propietary UI versus what all other guys have done
+Empire Ears Zeus XIV that I crazy how well these things are tuned. I was not expecting as the whole driver thing does not really always result on a better experience. But they nailed it
+Noble, nice units no doubt from a construction perspective. Have mixed feelings based on my auditioning. But they seemed to be looking at Apple for marketing approach
+64Audio, extremely friendly and very focused on people auditioning with clarifications,etc. U12 really nice,made me doubt the whole driver conversation. U12 , EE Zeus XIV are very close
+JH I just cannot get "feel" their sound. I can't really put my finger on it. Also did not like the guy working the booth was with a vapor. They do not allow those on planes, starbucks,etc
+Alo audio, finally tried Layla, sweet units. I think they are very close to the Jupiter's. I really liked t ceramic housing
+On the DAP side the Android units will take over. Free software will be the big driver. X7 and I5 a very close. I liked the form factor of the I5 maybe the volume dial. Pioneer is the one that I believe hits th right value point. Onkyo will be challenged by I5 when both hit the market. Echobox is too simple, they need to add something else than just wood
+ Maybe I missed them but it would be awesome to have IEM cable vendors there to try out the different types. Only ALO was available for that

Great organization, great event
I agree with you about Jh audio. I was expecting to get an Angie or jh13 v2 but man, not particularly detailed and kind of muddy. I thought they were outclassed by Empire and 64audio. I bought the U6's on the strength of the demo. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back