CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #1,291 of 1,339
I've been dreaming of going to CanJam since my college days... Just flew in from SF, rented a car, got my Airbnb and had Korean food. :)

I'm fairly newb at this audio stuff, but you folks are so welcoming! First timers! If you'd like to huddle together let me know and wait in line at some of the more popular exhibits let me know! Primary interests for me are in-ears. And I'll be doing magic tricks for anyone who is interested (we're lounging around... Why not?)

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #1,292 of 1,339
Hey guys, first time attendee here (for both CanJam or Can-related meet ups in general). Is there anything in particular that is recommended to bring? Don't have much gear of my own. Can we just show up like that? :joy:

I once brought all of my gear to a meet in Seattle some years back. Everything I owned was on display at all of the other desks, and I ended up just leaving my stuff at another Headfier's desk to be used as samples. :wink: pretty chill stuff.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,293 of 1,339
Hey guys, first time attendee here (for both CanJam or Can-related meet ups in general). Is there anything in particular that is recommended to bring? Don't have much gear of my own. Can we just show up like that? :joy:

Bring some headphones your used to in case you want to test them on a amp or DAC to hear the differences.  Um you could bring a source as well to try headphones on the music you listen to... 

Otherwise just show up!

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #1,294 of 1,339

All you need to bring is yourself.
Your own music or player that you're familiar with can also be helpful. Some bring a pair of headphones or earphones they are familiar with for reference purposes as well.

I find it's best to travel light. You don't want to lug a bunch of gear around all day. Or maybe you do. Either way is A-OK

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #1,295 of 1,339
All you need to bring is yourself.
Your own music or player that you're familiar with can also be helpful. Some bring a pair of headphones or earphones they are familiar with for reference purposes as well.

I find it's best to travel light. You don't want to lug a bunch of gear around all day. Or maybe you do. Either way is A-OK

Awesome. Thanks for the reply :D
Will probably just do that then...my gear isn't anything that anybody there hasn't used, and one of my headphones is broken anyway. A couple of spare batteries for my phone should suffice

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #1,296 of 1,339
I've been dreaming of going to CanJam since my college days... Just flew in from SF, rented a car, got my Airbnb and had Korean food.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm fairly newb at this audio stuff, but you folks are so welcoming! First timers! If you'd like to huddle together let me know and wait in line at some of the more popular exhibits let me know! Primary interests for me are in-ears. And I'll be doing magic tricks for anyone who is interested (we're lounging around... Why not?)

Would be interested in "huddling up" some place. Let me know if you get a group together :)

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #1,297 of 1,339
1. Bring easy walking shoes.
2. Expect to spend 3-4 hours going from headphone to headphone to get to about everything. More time if you're chatty or really need to test them.
3. Take notes with your phone or memo book. Ears and memory will affect how you perceive things. Rate them as you go. Retest ones you like a lot and want.
4. Bring your audio player if you have one, or something you can use for reference along with a pair of headphones you own. This will let you hear how well other headphones and hear are versus what you have.

Other than that, park at South Coast if you don't mind the walk, ask questions - everyone is happy to explain, don't hog but do try different music with each pair, have fun.

Last year's was lots of fun, with LCD and Cavalli topping my list.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #1,299 of 1,339

like other fellaz said:

JUST BRING YOURSELVES!

and some tunes - on your phones, memory sticks, laptops, DAPs - whatevs!!!!

yeah hooh!

a lil L8night Canjammin' w/ my boy @soundmanmike 

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #1,300 of 1,339

Power Bars!

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #1,302 of 1,339
  for ME??

last night - after driving 9 hours! couldn't sleep:
Ambien - 
biggrin.gif

Rockin' Rickie Lee Jones in DSD on the Schiit IGGY (cant pronounce it - but Jason said IGGY is FINE) + Cavalli Liquid Glass and the nu MrSpeakers ETHER was a grand experience!

especially since I heard the original wooden proto - and got to hear the same Booka Shade track I heard on that proto ("Body Language") on the final product today was XTRA SPECIAL!!!!

Listening to DSD on the Yggdrasil !!  I thought it did not play DSD ??

Re the ETHER, do you consider it at the level of the LCD-X (that I have but have...confort problem with.  So...looking for an alternative) ?  Is it easier to drive than the LCD-X  (with a NON-Amped DAP)

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #1,304 of 1,339

Listening to DSD on the Yggdrasil !!  I thought it did not play DSD ???

must've! Dan Clark set it up - was using Audirvana - (I use Amarra Symphony and nu Amarra  -soon-to-be-released- player)

and it sounded GR8!!

maybe he had another lil' DAC back there for that - 
but even the hi rez PCM sounded GR8 (I'm not a big DSD guy - have some - but...)
its cool though

DAMN the MrSpeakers ETHER was SO light, comfy, and so musically engaging it was DOPE

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #1,305 of 1,339
  must've! Dan Clark set it up - was using Audirvana - (I use Amarra Symphony and nu Amarra  -soon-to-be-released- player)

and it sounded GR8!!

maybe he had another lil' DAC back there for that - 
but even the hi rez PCM sounded GR8 (I'm not a big DSD guy - have some - but...)
its cool though

DAMN the MrSpeakers ETHER was SO light, comfy, and so musically engaging it was DOPE

thank you Mike.  And do you believe that the ETHER will be easy enough to drive to be used with a NON amped DAP ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back