CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Mar 3, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #616 of 1,339
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #617 of 1,339
  That strategy has worked out for me at meets minus the whole planning ahead and eating part~

Most of the meets that I've attended had a pizza or two ordered. People could chip in a few bucks and everyone got to eat. However, those were meets with only about 15-18 people. A meet of this size may pose difficulty in the catering department. But if people want to I'm sure there could be a "group buy" for some food. :wink:

I'm probably going to go with the protein bar route simply for convenience and time. Then I can enjoy a nice big dinner with everyone.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #618 of 1,339
Most of the meets that I've attended had a pizza or two ordered. People could chip in a few bucks and everyone got to eat. However, those were meets with only about 15-18 people. A meet of this size may pose difficulty in the catering department. But if people want to I'm sure there could be a "group buy" for some food. :wink:

I'm probably going to go with the protein bar route simply for convenience and time. Then I can enjoy a nice big dinner with everyone.

I agree on the protein bar route. I like to bring snacks with me and a Camelbak bag filled with water/flavored water so I can be comfortable all day until dinner.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #619 of 1,339

Lot of the big SoCal meets have tons of people so yeah catering could be an issue. At least we got 2 days this time so I plan to at least grab a bite in the middle of one day at the very least. Hotel hallway has a lot of complimentary water so at least attendees can stay hydrated.

Think it was a meet 2 years ago one of the vendors grabbed in-n-out and was just eating in the hallway. It smelled so nice on an empty stomach lol.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 3, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #620 of 1,339
  Lot of the big SoCal meets have tons of people so yeah catering could be an issue. At least we got 2 days this time so I plan to at least grab a bite in the middle of one day at the very least. Hotel hallway has a lot of complimentary water so at least attendees can stay hydrated.

Think it was a meet 2 years ago one of the vendors grabbed in-n-out and was just eating in the hallway. It smelled so nice on an empty stomach lol.

Mmm, In-N-Out. I know I'll be visiting them again while I'm in the area. The best fast food burger I've ever had.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #622 of 1,339
I'd only need a huge container full of coffee to tough it out.
beerchug.gif

Food is not the issue here, though. I'm thinking I should purchase some ear muffs to cover my ears and get some silence after every audition so that my ears have enough time to recover from sibilance and fatigue. After a super bright listen, I think more noise will only exacerbate the issue. This has always been the case for me after listening to any Grado headphone at any meet (except for the HP1000).

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #623 of 1,339
I'd only need a huge container full of coffee to tough it out.
:beerchug:  

Food is not the issue here, though. I'm thinking I should purchase some ear muffs to cover my ears and get some silence after every audition so that my ears have enough time to recover from sibilance and fatigue. After a super bright listen, I think more noise will only exacerbate the issue. This has always been the case for me after listening to any Grado headphone at any meet (except for the HP1000).

That's what I use my CIEMS for. Put them in with either no music or low music when my ears need a break.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #624 of 1,339
That's what I use my CIEMS for. Put them in with either no music or low music when my ears need a break.

Great idea. I've been eying the UERM for a while now. Maybe I'll finally break at CanJam and get my impressions done.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #626 of 1,339
You lot must really crank your cans loud to require ear muffs and such between demos. I hate loud music. I stick with listening level for speakers and headphones because I want to hear details, not to mention keep my hearing which is exceptional only because I can't see. (Of course, listening level is a bit different for each of us and always different for speakers vs headphones).
If it's a frequency issue such as too bright or what have you I just take said headphones off after less than a minute and move on to find something that is right for me.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #627 of 1,339
  @Bill-P - You should! The ear scans are very cool to experience.

I've heard about those in-ear things where they scan and do a cast of your ear and such....No thank you, it looks and sounds scary to me! If anything like that needs doing I'll have a doctor do it. I'm glad I'm not in market for in-ear things. I know I would freak out. My ears are all I have since I can't see, they over-compensate for my eyes.

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #628 of 1,339
Oh dang, just realized that United Sciences will be there themselves. That makes the trip itself already worth it. I thought they would be represented by UE. 

It's a shame that some companies don't have the software to run the scanned impressions. :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #629 of 1,339
  I've heard about those in-ear things where they scan and do a cast of your ear and such....No thank you, it looks and sounds scary to me! If anything like that needs doing I'll have a doctor do it. I'm glad I'm not in market for in-ear things. I know I would freak out. My ears are all I have since I can't see, they over-compensate for my eyes.

Actually, nothing goes in your ear.  Check out this post from our CES coverage.  The guy in the last two images is me. I didn't feel a thing.

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #630 of 1,339
  You lot must really crank your cans loud to require ear muffs and such between demos. I hate loud music. I stick with listening level for speakers and headphones because I want to hear details, not to mention keep my hearing which is exceptional only because I can't see. (Of course, listening level is a bit different for each of us and always different for speakers vs headphones).
If it's a frequency issue such as too bright or what have you I just take said headphones off after less than a minute and move on to find something that is right for me.

Basically always turn down the volume of equipment if you regularly listen at lower levels. Some people turn up systems incredibly loud and I can't count the number of times I've sat down and pressed play and had a full volume headphone go all out on my ears. Plugged my noble 4 into a geek out 450 that I didn't realize was at full volume, that wasn't too fun.

Generally there will be a lot of open cans there and a lot of talking going on with a lot of demoing going on so the rooms aren't quiet. I probably turn up the volume a bit up in comparison to what I regularly listen at.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back