CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #271 of 678

Quote:
I have pics and info of the wyred 4 sound music server. phone pics so I hope they turn out ok. will try to post them when I get home tonight.

W4S --

We all hope those pix turn out to be ok. But truthfully, it's more than we had, so we'll be grateful. Thanks for your effort and consideration.

- DAC-1 (Low ESR Super Caps) owner

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #272 of 678

Quote:
The one piece not covered yet was what meets are really about and what I am most grateful for in this hobby, seeing a ton o friends that I have met over the years in this hobby.
This is the one thing that I hope people get out of these impresions is get out to more meets. The gear is great but great times with good friends are even better.

Well said...
beerchug.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #274 of 678
Grats on your purchase danmagicman. I came to the same conclusion and ordered a set of UERMs as well.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #277 of 678

Quote:
That is got to be the worst set up position for the speaker in the room causing loads of standing waves muddling the sound in such a small room. Did they use DSP to cut off the low notes?

Sort of, but not quite. The speakers come with a crafty room equalizer which makes the response perfectly linear and full. ..dB

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #278 of 678
Contradicting with other impressions/reviews where the RM had some of the largest soundstage among the top tier customs. o.O Very interesting...

Agreed. I didn't experience a narrow soundstage rather the UERM had the largest of any custom demo I tried.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #279 of 678
Hey guys-

Just got home a few hours ago, and thought I'd share some of my brief impressions of a few things that really impressed me.

The transparency of the SR-009 - Wow, just wow. The SR-009 fed by the Woo WES is the most transparent headphone system I have ever heard. Absolutely, phenomenally impressive. But, of course, everyone knows the SR-009 is a stunner.

The bass of the LCD-3 - You don't realize how much visceral texture and impact the SR-009 is missing until you put a pair of these on. The SR-009 is incredibly neutral, but methinks may roll off the low frequencies a little bit. The LCD-3 shares the same essential sound signature as the LCD-2, in a more comfortable package (dat earpad!), a bit more transparency, and even more awe-inspiring bass.

The weird but awesome Unique Melody Merlin - My favorite IEM of the show. What a weird little earbud! 4 balanced armatures + a dynamic woofer is very hard to wrap your mind around as you listen, but it sounds incredibly fun. As has been stated before, the soundstage of these is absolutely phenomenal. And the bass is incredible - deep, powerful, punchy - without overpowering the mids and highs generated by those armatures. This was the one thing I was most tempted to purchase at the show, but I've been avoiding major purchases for like a year now and am trying to keep up my streak :)

The ridiculousness of the Woo monoblock- I didn't actually listen. I just stood in awe at the idea of a towering $10,000 monoblock created for the purpose of driving headphones. I think this industry may be getting a bit nuts (this is probably old news). On the other hand, the new Woo CD Transport and DAC are typically beautiful Woo pieces, and relatively reasonable at ~$1,100 each (if memory serves).

The professionalism of the room as a whole - Even moreso than the last few years, the CanJam room felt really legit this year. Lots of great vendors around, and the whole thing felt very professional and civilized. I think it likely made us headphone folks look good to anybody there for the main show who decided poke their head in at the curiosity in the back of the hotel. I guess the slight downside to this is that there wasn't much of a member rig section, which I think is nice to have because you get some more unorthodox or discontinued equipment showcased, and experienced folks to give unvarnished opinions to anybody who wanders downstairs, but the room was still really great, and it was wonderful to see many of you. Many thanks to Jude and John (and any other organizers I may have missed, sorry!) for putting forward the best of what our community has to offer.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #280 of 678

Quote:
Hard to believe that I have known the good Dr Cavalli since 2005 but this was the first time we had met  - the pleasure was all mine.

( this is the Liquid Fire in the foreground - just a sweet powerful combo with the LCD3 = this will be my endgame rig)

..dB

Great stuff, do you know what tubes they used in the Liquid Fire and the LCD-3 combo?

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #281 of 678
Quote:
Grats on your purchase danmagicman. I came to the same conclusion and ordered a set of UERMs as well.

Yup, thanks for the impressions danmagicman.  The UERM seems to win over many people during meets, but that doesn't seem to translate to widespread popularity on Head-fi to the degree that the JH13/16, ES5, and UM customs seem to enjoy.  Not sure why that is...maybe an assumption that "neutral" necessarily means dry and unengaging?  I had always thought of myself as a basshead, and wouldn't have believed that the UERM was for me unless I heard it.

I'd have to agree with you guys when you use words like "clarity" and "accuracy" to describe the UERM.  Except for possibly a slight sub-bass rolloff and a lack of visceral mid-bass impact, it's hard to find fault with them.  The slightly timid bass is an easy shortcoming to accept in light of the UERM's detailed and open presentation.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #282 of 678
I really...really want to hear these monsters. 

The more I think about it the more I really want to hear impressions of the LCD 3 on a Phonitor. I'm so curious as to what the cross feed would do to them.

Quote:
Ok I saved the LCD3 with the Darkstar for last. Flat out amazing. I did not want to take them off, but I had to give them back to Alex. The only rig present I would prefer would be the HE90 on the A-10. Every genre, male or female vocals, electronica, acoustic... I spent about 25 minutes with them. If I had a great source and $5k I would be first in line for the LCD3 and a Darkstar. This is no hype, just real reaction. As you will see when I post my full impressions I'm not afraid to dog things when I don't like them, even expensive stuff. The only reason you might go for a 009 instead is if you were chasing the absolute last shred of detail. I found the 009 without fault except that it was not as engaging as I wanted. Paired with the right amp, Audeze have met Stax and imo exceeded them already.

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #283 of 678

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, thanks for the impressions danmagicman.  The UERM seems to win over many people during meets, but that doesn't seem to translate to widespread popularity on Head-fi to the degree that the JH13/16, ES5, and UM customs seem to enjoy.  Not sure why that is...

dj nellie - mebbe it's because we're content just to listen, focus, and enjoy with them, rather than brag here?  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back