CanJam@RMAF 2011 Listening Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #227 of 678
So no EC stat amp?

I asked him where it was, and though it is finished electrically, the casing isn't complete and as it is a 2 box unit it was just too annoying for them to bring. They said it will be present for the Bay area meet.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #229 of 678

Quote:
Tried the LCD2 first time today and I don't understand the weight comments at all. They feel quite average on the head. Not super light, not heavy. I could wear them for hours and not feel a thing.

I didn't find them heavy at all either. Just felt very different the first day or two. Day three came and went - I never thought about 'em while wearing them again. Could resume focus on the music. Everyone's comments before hand had me concerned; prepared. Nothing doing...

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #230 of 678

Quote:
Someone slide on over to the Wyred 4 Sound booth and check out their new music server...
popcorn.gif

x2!

We're just going to have to make an appearance ourselves in 2012, WarriorAnt! 

Oct 16, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #232 of 678
The one piece not covered yet was what meets are really about and what I am most grateful for in this hobby, seeing a ton o friends that I have met over the years in this hobby.

This is the one thing that I hope people get out of these impresions is get out to more meets. The gear is great but great times with good friends are even better.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #233 of 678
Agreed. This being my first major meet, I've been able to meet people I've been reading posts from for up to 9 years. Jude, Larry, JP, Bixby, and more. All the vendors like Ray, Pete, Jason, Justin, Alex, the list goes on. Been a great experience all around.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #235 of 678
A few short comments, it is late and I fly out again in the morning. echoing JP's comments - it was great to see old faces and meet new, this is why I love the hobby. No one gets us quite like we do.

I had expected more of a turnout but frequent flyers tell me that this was a reasonable amount of traffic for RMAF, one thing is for sure, the key players were well represented (even Fang who couldn't be here in person was available via skype)

there were a few standouts in the show for me, I know the train is surging out of the station on this one but Audeze really showed their stuff - the LCD3 partnered with the Cavalli Liquid Fire was a truly satisfying experience. I got a chance to speak with A & S re the new line and it is a completely re-engineered product. New driver, thinner membrane with a proprietary trace process. ( ie new fab technique - so very little semblance to the LCD2 except for the outer cosmetics ) and you can hear this. I did not at first hear them with the Cavalli amp as it seems the amp was a popular choice so first listen was with Craig's 2A3 which is a fine piece of equipment and does them justice. Not sure if it was different source, choice of music etc but when I got to listen to them again with the LF, they touched the spot.

I had a very interesting chat with the Fostex folk, wish I had a pair of thunderpants with me and there is some interesting things happening in their R&D. 

I got a wider exposure to stats - I tried them all and quite honestly, none of them are bad. Cavalli unveiled their new Liquid Lightning (1300V p2p - someone had asked earlier) , Justin's BHSE , sadly Craig did not bring his new prototype, Ray's A10, Woo WES and Larry's KGSS. Justin was a real gentleman and tolerated me borrowing his SR009's , imo the BHSE is extremely well voiced for the SR007, it was good with the SR009. Of the others , I honestly preferred the Liquid Lightning with the SR009. I thought the WES was a little less tight in the botton end. I did not listen to the 009 on the other 2 rigs but tried the 007s . A real surprise to me was just how good the HE60 sounded, it has a slightly darker presentation ( a little coloured but not unlikeable, the opposite in fact ) but was a real pleasure to listen to. I wasn't sure what I was going to think of all the hype surrounding the SR009, but it truly is a great sounding piece of equipment ( even at the show)

I keep asking myself which I would be happier with 009 or LCD3 , ( and no this is not comparing them ) truth is, either would keep a smile/smug on my face

Obviously more going on than Canjam and the rest of the show was a true sensory insult. and to hand it to Audeze again , their speakers are quite something else. Easily the most natural sounding  room that I made it in to, their tall array was impressive in sheer size and performance. These drivers resemble the LCD2 from the outside but they merely use the same form factor, different membrane and trace so specifically designed for this use.

finally, thanks for the beer JP - a well selected/sampled choice..dB

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #236 of 678
^^
Nice summary dBel84, thank you for the comparisons of stat amps. Am intrigued by the Cavalli amp, it's a solid-state device? Foot print seems surprisingly small, is it because it's using a transformer to generate the high-voltages? The mention of r-core transformer means this thing works more like an energizer + combined power amp rather than traditional stax amps? 

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #237 of 678
Is April Music represented at the show this year? I would be very interested to hear how April Music's Eximus DP-1 compares to the rest of the high-end DACs / headphone amps in the market. I've read the 6 moons review and this sparked my interest in the product. Would like to hear some first hand impressions or other review on this unit. Seems like a great complete DAC / Head amp solution to me.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #238 of 678

Quote:
^^
Nice summary dBel84, thank you for the comparisons of stat amps. Am intrigued by the Cavalli amp, it's a solid-state device? Foot print seems surprisingly small, is it because it's using a transformer to generate the high-voltages? The mention of r-core transformer means this thing works more like an energizer + combined power amp rather than traditional stax amps? 

Thx arnaud . The amp has a surprisingly small footprint but it is a true solid state device which can swing 1300V rail to rail . Rcore is merely the rail supply transformer. No other transformers on output..dB Heading to the airport ..dB

Oct 16, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #239 of 678

Quote:
Thx arnaud . The amp has a surprisingly small footprint but it is a true solid state device which can swing 1300V rail to rail . Rcore is merely the rail supply transformer. No other transformers on output..dB Heading to the airport ..dB  

Thanks for your report, and have a safe and restful ride back to Gen. Mitchel airport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back