CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 27, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #497 of 961
Yeah but what's the point if it just sounds like a Totl planar. Audeze Carbon is like that and I'm not sure how many people really find it that much better than an LCD-5.
I had the LCD-5 and CRBN in house for a week. Bought the CRBN. I like the presentation of estats but don’t care for the tuning of say the stax 009. The CRBN, 007, and Shangra la jr give me well rounded options. But preference, type of music and listening volume all play a big part in what individuals like. That’s why I like to hear what headphones someone compares something to. So you can get an idea of what they like. And dislike. That gives me a better understanding of what something really sounds like.

Feb 27, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #498 of 961
About to start the travel home through midway to LAX.

Great to meet to meet you all and I look forward to reading your impressions and writing my own soon.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #500 of 961
Can someone ask the Sennheiser rep, how many orders would it take to drop the HE-1 down from $60k to $5k. You know, economies of scale, at
least that's how it's suppose to work. Anyway, I'm in at that price.. :beerchug:
I will take two at that price, just in case I wear one out. Just sayin...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #501 of 961
I think the dac made the difference. Not sure why they never show HE-1 with a decent dac. The headphones and amp are actually very good.

It would not bring anything 😉

NOMAX

I think nobody was interested in DACs and amps this year on canjam, except a few hyped ones, no other DACs or amps got any head time from attendees.

Because in the end the transducer has the last word and not the dac for thousands of euros 😂
(And there are not so many who can deliver a very good performance and implement the qualities of an High End Dac)

NOMAX

PS.I am always surprised when I look at various set ups 🙈 and then hang models on them that with their tonality can not bring out the qualities of these set ups
(I laughed as one had a Chord Dave and Mscaler and in addition a headphone with a dark sounding tonality...I meant to him as a joke...there you can attach your old Minidisc Player)
However, this is only my opinion on the subject

Lol

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #503 of 961
Thanks for the feedback @eskamobob1

We don’t have comparison between these 3 fabulous amplifiers: the VIVA STX, T2 and Grand Cayman.

I personally fell in love with the VIVA STX (having been the lucky owner of a VIVA 845 I know only too well the quality of these products).

Could you give us a quick comparison on these three products according to you, despite the fact of being in an a CanJam event and not having the identical DAC ?

I'm working on a full writeup of what I heard. I'll make sure to include that as a section.

Feb 27, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #504 of 961
Because in the end the transducer has the last word and not the dac for thousands of euros 😂
Sorry but no - source first (although in the world of headphones maybe a touch less 😉)
Google a bit of stereo history - keywords: 1973, LP12, Ivor Tiefenbrun

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #505 of 961
Sorry but no - source first (although in the world of headphones maybe a touch less 😉)
Google a bit of stereo history - keywords: 1973, LP12, Ivor Tiefenbrun

The Dacs are nowadays already so good even in the mid-price range that there is no need to listen to every new release here...for me personally
At the end of the day, the industry lives from this to make everything and anything new appear in a good light and to bring it to the customer at high-margin prices.
But new is not always better...in 90 % of the cases only different

NOMAX

PS.I hang a 100 Euro source on my HE1....and I bet I'll still be easily ahead in 5 years with what the Sennheiser transducer 😉
(I made a video last year with Axel...where he explains why the HE1 can do what an X9000 still can't....even
if you have the world's best dac and amp hooked up in front of the Stax )

@plakat Maybe I'll do it to myself in my old age to visit one of the Can Jams in the Usa next year ...Will you come with me?😜

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #506 of 961
I wasn’t at CanJam but I did visit a few high end shows (mostly Munich High End) and had experienced listening to headphones (and speakers) setups at show conditions.

At shows your most likely listening at a much higher volume than you would at home. Due to all sorts of reasons, one of them is background noises.

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn’t drop from my list any bad experiences.
I think it usually goes one way, meaning if you had a good experience with some setup, do try it later after the show. But not the other way around.

I can say from my own personal experience, that I really did not like the Valkyria when I heard it at a show, and today the Pulsar is the favorite headphones in my inventory.
Also, I wasn’t impressed at all with the Warwick Bravura, but I had another listen to it at home, and really appreciated its quality.

Usually at shows we are impressed by setups that have some kind of a wow/impressive presentation, some of those can later turn out to be a colored flavor or over fatiguing.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree with this. Use demos at CanJam and other similar shows to point you in a direction that you can explore further after the show in more appropriate environments, but don't let any one experience on the show floor trick you into thinking you have a firm grasp on what a headphone, or even less so an amp or dac, is all about.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #507 of 961
Did anyone listen to the Lina system with, and without the Master Clock? I am really interested to hear any opinions on the difference, if any (although I have to believe there is some difference) the Master Clock makes.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #508 of 961
Did anyone listen to the Lina system with, and without the Master Clock? I am really interested to hear any opinions on the difference, if any (although I have to believe there is some difference) the Master Clock makes.
There is, I have a comparison of the Lina + clock vs Dave on the Dave thread. Still not as good as 100$ dac, but at least it's competitive :)

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #509 of 961
There is, I have a comparison of the Lina + clock vs Dave on the Dave thread. Still not as good as 100$ dac, but at least it's competitive :)
Thank you. I will check it out.

Feb 27, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #510 of 961
Some brief initial impressions:

• Feliks Envy with Susvara was really nice. Again I couldn't pick my own music
  • The new Hifiman Closed Back (whatever it's called): Reminded me of the HE1000v2 a bit in the sound signature. Wasn't able to choose my own tracks and really didn't like the playlist they'd put together
What a shame :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back