CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #196 of 961
Where was it I searched for it for half hour

It's here with me right now 😂, I will have it tomorrow at @Audio46 booth from 10am, be sure to try both types of pads.

20230223_111654.jpg

My impressions for day one:

- ZMF Caldera & Atrium:
I want to say thanks to @zach915m for let me borrow both the Atrium and Caldera so I can bring it to the Audio 46 booth and take my time to try them, these headphones looks, feel and sound amazing, I found the Caldera great but the Atrium sounds better to my preference, I briefly heard the Atrium closed back and I was really impressed, definitely I will check them out tomorrow with more time.

- UM Mest 3: Sounds more balanced that the Mest 2, the unit that I tried had a switch that change the bass? I couldn't heard much difference honestly, I think was a prototype, pretty decent and better that the Mest 2 imo specially in treble.

- UM Mentor: Wow! Beautiful sound with a lot of texture in every single note, super energetic sound and details, bass was fast and fullest, like other people says the shells are a bit cheap for the price but looks great, cable was cool.

- Elysian Annihilator: Hands down one of the best tuning that I ever heard in iems, there is nothing cheap in these, feels, look and sound top, more in the balanced/relax sound.

- EE Odyssey: I have the luck to listen to them the day before thanks to @Dellwolf, excited sound with probably one of the best bass in an iem that I tried.

- Enleum 23RM: Owning the Enleum 23R I was so interesting to try this one but Headphonescom booth was always busy with the amp, hopefully I have better luck tomorrow.

I really enjoyed the Meze Elite with one of the Vivo amps next to the Abyss booth, the amp bring the Elite to the next level.

Mission for tomorrow:

Audio Technica WB2022 & WA2022
Dan Clack Audio Corina
ZMF Atrium Closed Back
Abyss Diana Closed Back

See you all you guys tomorrow! :)

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #197 of 961
It's here with me right now 😂, I will have it tomorrow at @Audio46 booth from 10am, be sure to try both types of pads.

20230223_111654.jpg

My impressions for day one:

- ZMF Caldera & Atrium:
I want to say thanks to @zach915m for let me borrow both the Atrium and Caldera so I can bring it to the Audio 46 booth and take my time to try them, these headphones looks, feel and sound amazing, I found the Caldera great but the Atrium sounds better to my preference, I briefly heard the Atrium closed back and I was really impressed, definitely I will check them out tomorrow with more time.

- UM Mest 3: Sounds more balanced that the Mest 2, the unit that I tried had a switch that change the bass? I couldn't heard much difference honestly, I think was a prototype, pretty decent and better that the Mest 2 imo specially in treble.

- UM Mentor: Wow! Beautiful sound with a lot of texture in every single note, super energetic sound and details, bass was fast and fullest, like other people says the shells are a bit cheap for the price but looks great, cable was cool.

- Elysian Annihilator: Hands down one of the best tuning that I ever heard in iems, there is nothing cheap in these, feels, look and sound top, more in the balanced/relax sound.

- EE Odyssey: I have the luck to listen to them the day before thanks to @Dellwolf, excited sound with probably one of the best bass in an iem that I tried.

- Enleum 23RM: Owning the Enleum 23R I was so interesting to try this one but Headphonescom booth was always busy with the amp, hopefully I have better luck tomorrow.

I really enjoyed the Meze Elite with one of the Vivo amps next to the Abyss booth, the amp bring the Elite to the next level.

Mission for tomorrow:

Audio Technica WB2022 & WA2022
Dan Clack Audio Corina
ZMF Atrium Closed Back
Abyss Diana Closed Back

See you all you guys tomorrow! :)
Confirm Annihilator and Odyssey
Disclosure I tried both on my EA Centurion and Ibasso Dx320X

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #198 of 961
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #199 of 961
Thick crowd, great range of exhibits, listened to as much as I could given the long lines on the perennial faves (ZMF, DCA, Focal, Abyss, 64 Audio). So much outstanding gear and sound, but, for me, there was one surprising best in show:

The T+A Solitaire P headphone driven by the T+A HA200 amp. This combo created a tonally vibrant and hugely three-dimensional soundfield that reminded me more of a superb room stereo system than a set of headphones. I was smitten, and even fought the lines for some repeat listens. The understatedly gorgeous physical design only reinforced the feeling of being in a rarefied zone of genuine excellence.

Feb 25, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #201 of 961
I don’t hear a noticeable difference between any of the headphones. I tried a lot from Sennheiser, ZMF, and 1 by T+A and Focal.

Sennheiser 800S is maybe the best so far. I talked to someone testing in the ZMF room whose fav was the 660s2 but that headphone, like most others, strikes me as unremarkable.
Yeah, headphones at these prices/levels are basically all great... Just pick your poison, can't really go wrong...
👍

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #202 of 961
I don’t hear a noticeable difference between any of the headphones. I tried a lot from Sennheiser, ZMF, and 1 by T+A and Focal.

Sennheiser 800S is maybe the best so far. I talked to someone testing in the ZMF room whose fav was the 660s2 but that headphone, like most others, strikes me as unremarkable.
Show condition and fatigue is the reason for everything sounding same

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #203 of 961
8231B705-0F79-40C8-AA99-16C2F5D80D33.jpeg

I was most impressed by this XMEMS prototype. It’s a new type of all silicon driver. I think it has the potential of setting benchmark of accurate sound reproduction in the IEM market. I am really impressed with how real it reproduces upright double bass sound. Many headphones and IEMs can’t do it.

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #204 of 961
Thank you to everyone that makes these events possible. This year felt very very different. First time that it really felt like a trade show rather than a large meet up with vendors. Congratulations on the turn out, I’m guessing this has to be the biggest ever. I think if your priority is to chat and hang out with others the show was fantastic, listening… well not so much. Just too many people imo. I had numerous instances where I’d be waiting patiently for a seat only to get it sniped by someone just snaking through. Tons of people in a hurry this year I guess. Should have went tomorrow instead, wasn’t feeling it today.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #206 of 961
8231B705-0F79-40C8-AA99-16C2F5D80D33.jpeg

I was most impressed by this XMEMS prototype. It’s a new type of all silicon driver. I think it has the potential of setting benchmark of accurate sound reproduction in the IEM market. I am really impressed with how real it reproduces upright double bass sound. Many headphones and IEMs can’t do it.
Did you try the new titanium Singularity IEM? How is it compared to this prototype?

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #207 of 961
Anyone know what the price of the new DCA electrostatic is going to be?

Feb 25, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #208 of 961
Anyone know what the price of the new DCA electrostatic is going to be?
HeadAmp has a page listing it for $4500 (add $100-$300 for longer cables)

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #210 of 961
Could you expand on why you thought the Diva was a disappointment. I think this is the first time I've seen someone have a negative impression of them, so I'm interested in hearing some differing thoughts.
Yes, of course, Diva Price is 2000-2500$ and waiting time is 6-8months up to a year or in some cases more.
It sounds exactly the same As Elysian Acoustics x Effect Audio Gaea, BUT Gaea has better Bass extension thanks to very special and hard to find in Iem Foster 9mm Driver which I liked.
So, basically, in my opinion:
1) same signature with better bass
2) no waiting time and great collab cable PLUS better shell and artwork (just prettier looking iem on top of all that)
3) and Yes I played with tuning, still like Gaea More
PS
Annihilator is still the Summit-Fi iem. But in its price bracket Gaea defeats Diva for me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back