CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #151 of 960
One thing I was surprised by was the new Earmen stack. It exuded quality and had a shockingly small footprint. The stack seemed fairly neutral and provided ample power to the Caldera that was connected to it.
The Ch-amp, right? Agreed. I listened to it with a closed back ZMF (Verite? Atrium? Not sure) and was duly impressed by such a small footprint. That said, I maxed out the volume and it still wasn't "too loud".

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #152 of 960
I tried so many TOTL headphones today like ZMFs, Abyss, Focals, the Susvara. Yet that was probably the only distinctive one. Nice combo of bright and slam. I might buy one but my Shure 840 is still very solid and adequate.

The Focal Utopia sounded mediocre on one amp. Then I tried the one connected to a DCS Lina amp and it sounded unique, with an incredible midrange (albeit weirdly unglued from the rest of the mix). Then when I returned to the same Utopia+DCS an hour later, it sounded mediocre again with no midrange fun like the first try. Does anyone know what could’ve happened in between those times?

I was very disappointed altogether. This hobby turns out to be niche bordering on esoteric and I don’t think laypeople who are music obsessives and record collectors will see much value in events or hobbies like this.
I felt this way about the Utopia, too. Last year and this year again... It's just not for everyone.

Headphones.com has a Denon D9200. Suggest listening to that and the Meze Elite. Some of the finest headphones for pure musical enjoyment.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #153 of 960
The Focal Utopia sounded mediocre on one amp. Then I tried the one connected to a DCS Lina amp and it sounded unique, with an incredible midrange (albeit weirdly unglued from the rest of the mix). Then when I returned to the same Utopia+DCS an hour later, it sounded mediocre again with no midrange fun like the first try. Does anyone know what could’ve happened in between those times?
Your ears got fatigued. Utopia is famous/notorious for being ultra-revealing of the chain it is connected to. This is both a blessing and a curse. Utopia reveals EVERYTHING. Buyer beware. Go all in or don't go at all.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #154 of 960
Thanks for the feedback and the picture. Do you recall if the 23RM was connected to power when you listened or was it just running off the internal battery? The output increases when it is connected to external power so I’m curious how that may have factored in to your volume experience with the Susvara. Thanks!
You know what I forgot to check for power supply. I will ask for sure tomorrow.
If it was running of battery then that was pretty impressive for kind of power it has

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #155 of 960

I was very disappointed altogether. This hobby turns out to be niche bordering on esoteric and I don’t think laypeople who are music obsessives and record collectors will see much value in events or hobbies like this.

I was also surprised by the Utopias off the Lina. Wasn't too impressed by them last year, but the updated Utopia off the Lina was like a revelation. I didn't end up going back to that pairing, but I'll try again tomorrow and see if that magic is still there.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #156 of 960
I hope Campfire decides to sell these stands one day.

IEM displays could use some love

Attachments

• 20230225_160233.jpg
    20230225_160233.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #157 of 960
I have to say guys, I was pretty underwhelmed NY the Susvaras. I heard them at both the Hifiman station and in I believe the Headamp station (the one where there were three seats and all the TOTLs in one room) and I just was not liking them the way I expected to.

However, the Calderas are freaking amazing. Easily my 2nd favorite headphone I've used (only slightly behind the Elites). Really am amazingly balanced set of cans for a VERY competitive price.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #158 of 960
I have to say guys, I was pretty underwhelmed NY the Susvaras. I heard them at both the Hifiman station and in I believe the Headamp station (the one where there were three seats and all the TOTLs in one room) and I just was not liking them the way I expected to.

However, the Calderas are freaking amazing. Easily my 2nd favorite headphone I've used (only slightly behind the Elites). Really am amazingly balanced set of cans for a VERY competitive price.
I think Susvara is less about the "WOW! factor" and more about the "oh, these are perfect for everything all the time."

But yeah, Caldera is a real contender in the "Best Planar" category

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #160 of 960
I do indeed recommend it. I had the VIVA EGOISTA 845 and now I'm switching to STX to power my next X9000.
If I may what stands out about the amp to you, what is the things that really capture your attention when you listen on it

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #161 of 960
I don’t think laypeople who are music obsessives and record collectors will see much value in events or hobbies like this.
That's ok, the nuances that we're into aren't for "lay-people". What we're into filters down into the mainstream, though. And like vinyl, quality headphones/earbuds are slowly becoming something the average person is aware of.

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #163 of 960
Thanks for clarifying tomorrow. For reference here's info from Enleum's site:

23RM Battery.jpg
I used to have LiPo batteries for my Digione signature few years back

Feb 25, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #164 of 960
One note re: Abyss closed back: they seemed VERY power hungry. I had the amp up to FULL VOLUME and they were just barely loud enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back