CanJam NYC 2023 Impressions Thread (February 25-26, 2023)
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #136 of 960
DCS Lina really surprised me as I didn't know what to expect out of a $30k stack. But everything I plugged in--even headphones I wasn't impressed with before like the 1266 and Utopia--sounded immaculate, especially the Utopias. Hoping to play around with it some more tomorrow.
I didn't get any quality time in the DCS room today, was just way too crowded every time I tried. But I spent a good amount of time with the Bartok last year and realized that their dacs really do something unique with the music. I'm not sure I particularly like it, but it's certainly not the same sound as every other dac.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #138 of 960
I didn't get any quality time in the DCS room today, was just way too crowded every time I tried. But I spent a good amount of time with the Bartok last year and realized that their dacs really do something unique with the music. I'm not sure I particularly like it, but it's certainly not the same sound as every other dac.
I tried the Bartok last year and indeed, I thought it did something unique. However, I remember the Bartok sounding quite soft. Lina did not sound soft to me. It's engaging, it's clean, it's rich, and many more adjectives I can't think of right now. I just became more and more flabbergasted with each headphone I plugged in. Planning on bringing my HD660s tomorrow (maybe the LCD-X) so perhaps I'll have a better idea using gear I'm more familiar with.

Part of me is hoping to be disappointed. Can't afford to be coveting $30k equipment.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #140 of 960
I tried the Bartok last year and indeed, I thought it did something unique. However, I remember the Bartok sounding quite soft. Lina did not sound soft to me. It's engaging, it's clean, it's rich, and many more adjectives I can't think of right now. I just became more and more flabbergasted with each headphone I plugged in. Planning on bringing my HD660s tomorrow (maybe the LCD-X) so perhaps I'll have a better idea using gear I'm more familiar with.

Part of me is hoping to be disappointed. Can't afford to be coveting $30k equipment.
Stop it. I'm totally in the market for a new "endgame" DAC and now you're making me want to go back tomorrow and fight for a spot with Lina. Although I suppose I would convince myself that the dac without the clock wouldn't be worth it and there's no way I'm spending $20k on a dac, so crisis averted. :wink:

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #141 of 960
Listening to TOTL headphones and gear is always fun, but what impressed me for the price was the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7bGM.

It's like $225 and is surprisingly good.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #142 of 960
I definitely noticed those Viva amps. They look crazy. Didn't try them today but I'll put those on my list for tomorrow.
I listened to the Viva with the planar headphone (Meze Elite?). There are too many variables at canjam IMO to reasonably assess amps & dacs unless you bring your own headphones, but fwiw it sounded spectacular. I didn't realize from photos how HUGE they are, though.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #143 of 960
I listened to the Viva with the planar headphone (Meze Elite?). There are too many variables at canjam IMO to reasonably assess amps & dacs unless you bring your own headphones, but fwiw it sounded spectacular. I didn't realize from photos how HUGE they are, though.
Yeah, seems to me to be just as much a showpiece art sculpture as it is functional piece of equipment. And the Meze Elites sound good on almost everything I've tried them on. =)

Now I'm getting excited to try them tomorrow. Will also throw the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7bGM on my list as well.

Stop it. I'm totally in the market for a new "endgame" DAC and now you're making me want to go back tomorrow and fight for a spot with Lina. Although I suppose I would convince myself that the dac without the clock wouldn't be worth it and there's no way I'm spending $20k on a dac, so crisis averted. :wink:

Honestly, I did question whether what I heard was simply because the DCS room is quieter than the main floor. That could simply be it lol.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #145 of 960
some quick observations before dinner:

1. EAR micro blew me away with their T10, which are wireless and have the DAC and DSP in the tiny earpieces. The soundstage was fantastic on everything I heard.
Their focus, besides sound, is the luxury market with custom charger units that have to be seen to be described, like something from hogwarts, and the basic carbon version of the charger is about $3k with the sky the limit for customization (not my thing). The engineering is outstanding with claimed 300m bluetooth range supporting up to 24/96. This was absolutely unique, very techie but also great sounding. Apparently, the ear pieces can be opened with one screw and the battery and/or dac/dsp can be changed or upgraded in the future.

2. My best sound of show, hands down, was the Meze Elite and the Viva 845-based headphone amp. The soundstage and detail were incredible, enough so that I feel I'll have to consider this a real contender versus my stax009/T2 combination (yes, blasphemy from a 50 year stax user) today. Even with roon on an Aurender, the sound was exceptional, and I hate roon.

3. Justin's new Grand Canyon amplifier (prototype) is definitely a TOTL contender for electrostatics. I didn't have a chance to A/B with the BHSE but there definitely seemed to be improved bass.

4. I got to hear the Chord Dave and Upscaler, which I've always enjoyed in the past. First, Roon had streaming problems and kept stopping. Then I tried to use my USB stick, and roon was unable to load it even though the macbook pro could see it. Finally, we shut down roon (did i mention that i hate roon?) and played the USB stick with the output going directly from the macbook pro to the upscaler, whew............ As in past listening, the upscaler/dave combo is impressive. This time, I came with a special set of my test tracks, one in 16/44 WAV and a 2nd version upscaled to 768k via PGGB (thank you @austinpop). So the first case uses the chord upscaler while the second has the upscaling done by pggb offline, using parameters optimized by a group of expert pggb users who own dave dacs. In every case, the pggb files sound better to me than the 16/44 upscaled by the chord upscaler, more detail, better soundstage and depth. It was very nice with the chord upscaler but even better with pggb files. Of course, pggb files are HUGE and require massive storage compared with 16/44 files.

5. I really wanted to hear some of the OTL amps in the Bloom audio room, but it was too crowded and i never got a seat :frowning2:
I have owned the VIVA EGOISTA 845 with the UTOPIA and the HD800s for almost 3 years. I confirm that it is an amplifier out of standard.

I recently sold all this equipment for what I consider to be an upgrade. I ordered a VIVA EGOISTA STX and the STAX X90000.

The VIVA amplifiers are real Italian Ferraris!

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #146 of 960
One thing I was surprised by was the new Earmen stack. It exuded quality and had a shockingly small footprint. The stack seemed fairly neutral and provided ample power to the Caldera that was connected to it.
I thought it was well detailed but lacked some body.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #148 of 960
Listening to TOTL headphones and gear is always fun, but what impressed me for the price was the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7bGM.

It's like $225 and is surprisingly good.
I tried so many TOTL headphones today like ZMFs, Abyss, Focals, the Susvara. Yet that was probably the only distinctive one. Nice combo of bright and slam. I might buy one but my Shure 840 is still very solid and adequate.

The Focal Utopia sounded mediocre on one amp. Then I tried the one connected to a DCS Lina amp and it sounded unique, with an incredible midrange (albeit weirdly unglued from the rest of the mix). Then when I returned to the same Utopia+DCS an hour later, it sounded mediocre again with no midrange fun like the first try. Does anyone know what could’ve happened in between those times?

I was very disappointed altogether. This hobby turns out to be niche bordering on esoteric and I don’t think laypeople who are music obsessives and record collectors will see much value in events or hobbies like this.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #149 of 960
Honestly, I did question whether what I heard was simply because the DCS room is quieter than the main floor. That could simply be it lol.
No, their DACs definitely do something unique (better?) with sound. The best way I've heard it described is "it puts you not in the front row, but right in the center 8 rows back where the sound has room to breathe."

But yeah, the quiet rooms make a WORLD of difference.

Feb 25, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #150 of 960
I thought it was well detailed but lacked some body.
After owning Audio-GD r2r-11mk2, I think almost everything I heard today lacked some body lol. The Holo May in NOS had nice sense of body, but lost it in OS. Lina wasn't quite as full or thick but still had very nice sense of body and presence to them methought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back