CanJam NYC 2023 (February 25-26, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #136 of 792
They find out that the wifi is not that great
Luckily midtown Manhattan has very good 5G coverage, which is often much better than the hotel wifi. Certainly more than good enough to stream hi-rez music from Qobuz to one's mobile phone and then to one of the vendors DACs. Of course that would require a whole different set of cables and adaptors 🤣

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #137 of 792
Luckily midtown Manhattan has very good 5G coverage, which is often much better than the hotel wifi. Certainly more than good enough to stream hi-rez music from Qobuz to one's mobile phone and then to one of the vendors DACs. Of course that would require a whole different set of cables and adaptors 🤣
I just use downloaded music so I don't need to risk it.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #138 of 792
Another thought... I wish the companies would get on the same page for the local demo tracks they provide. It's almost an afterthought for them now.

A more standardized base library plus any tracks that make their gear shine. I go to Hifiman, I get one Michael Jackson track. Meze, no Michael, only Abba. Stax, only Vivaldi. Woo, only Sia. (Just examples)

Hard to assess gear and it's not fun listening to music you don't know. Streaming is shoddy. That's why a dap is a must but I'd prefer to just sit down and listen.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #139 of 792
Another thought... I wish the companies would get on the same page for the local demo tracks they provide. It's almost an afterthought for them now.

A more standardized base library plus any tracks that make their gear shine. I go to Hifiman, I get one Michael Jackson track. Meze, no Michael, only Abba. Stax, only Vivaldi. Woo, only Sia. (Just examples)

Hard to assess gear and it's not fun listening to music you don't know. Streaming is shoddy. That's why a dap is a must but I'd prefer to just sit down and listen.
Yeah. They also need to have a full suite of headphones. If you are going to buy a high end amp either solid state or tube, you want to know if all of your headphones will sound good on it. Most of the time they may have 1 or 2 headphones and of course it will be the one that sounds best on that set up.

I do like the Benchmark policy of 30-days to trial one of their amps for the cost of shipping.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #141 of 792
Yeah. They also need to have a full suite of headphones. If you are going to buy a high end amp either solid state or tube, you want to know if all of your headphones will sound good on it. Most of the time they may have 1 or 2 headphones and of course it will be the one that sounds best on that set up.

I think this is the start of our Audio Systems Standards committee.

Mouthful so we can just go by the acronym.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #142 of 792
I think this is the start of our Audio Systems Standards committee.

Mouthful so we can just go by the acronym.

What they really need is a demo room where you can mix and match products to demo. If all vendors brought in 2 extra units and a room that can have a ton of cables, then this may be possible. But, someone would need to manage it to prevent operator error from frying something out. Charge a demo fee of $15/hour or something. Sell the demo units for a steep discount at the end of the show.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #143 of 792
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #144 of 792
What if I don't own a DAP? :triportsad:
You can still demo products. You are just limited to what the vendor has in terms of music selection, headphones, etc. If you are going to demo portable products, then it is helpful to bring your own daps, cables and tips. Otherwise, you need to use the free ones they hand out that quite frankly may not work well to provide the requisite seal to get the best sound.

I can bring you an LG V30 if you remind me.
Or you can bring an iPhone or Android phone that does not have a 3.5mm headphone port and download music from a streaming service as long as you bring the right cables usb-c cable and/or lightning cable with CCK adapter.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #145 of 792
What they really need is a demo room where you can mix and match products to demo. If all vendors brought in 2 extra units and a room that can have a ton of cables, then this may be possible. But, someone would need to manage it to prevent operator error from frying something out. Charge a demo fee of $15/hour or something. Sell the demo units for a steep discount at the end of the show.
Sounds like a logistical nightmare on several counts, and I don't see it happening. There are usually several rooms/booths with a decent range of gear from multiple vendors. You kind of have to triangulate if you can't find everything of interest in a single place. Bringing a small selection of one's own gear in a backpack can really facilitate useful comparisons in my experience.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #146 of 792

That's one of things I most love about CanJam, the total lack of dependence on the same tired old audiophile demo tracks. Sure some dreck still creeps in but for the most part the music is hit or miss and I kind of like that. If that's not your thing then by all means bring a DAP or phone with your own test tracks. As I stated earlier CanJam is not the place to make final buying decisions but rather a good place to find out what products are worthy of further investigation.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #147 of 792
You can still demo products. You are just limited to what the vendor has in terms of music selection, headphones, etc. If you are going to demo portable products, then it is helpful to bring your own daps, cables and tips. Otherwise, you need to use the free ones they hand out that quite frankly may not work well to provide the requisite seal to get the best sound.
I'm most likely coming to test the Caldera, Zahl HM1 and the Holo Audio Bliss. The rest of my watchlist for the year I don't believe will be shown there.

I can bring you an LG V30 if you remind me.
That's so nice of thank you! I might get a DAC dongle for my iPad, that'll likely do the trick.

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #148 of 792
Dec 10, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #149 of 792
I'm most likely coming to test the Caldera, Zahl HM1 and the Holo Audio Bliss. The rest of my watchlist for the year I don't believe will be shown there.

You should be fine then. The ZMF listening room will have a ton of amps that you can try out with the Caldera. My favorite was the Glenn OTL amp. If you see that one, try out the Caldera with it.

Zahl HM1 will be in Headphones.com booth. They have a ton of headphones to try it with.

Not sure about Holo Audio Bliss. Never had the opportunity to hear any Holo Audio products at CanJam. Do you know who will be demoing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back