CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #241 of 489
Since we are already on carpets... What's the most striking headphones you guys has held at CanJam in terms of design, build, and feel in the hand?
The Spirit Torino Valkyria, with the DCA Stealth a very close second.

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #242 of 489
Since we are already on carpets... What's the most striking headphones you guys has held at CanJam in terms of design, build, and feel in the hand?

My vote is on the DCA stealth.
Best build was clearly the Hifiman Deva...

No seriously, I think the best build was the Kennerton Rognir for me.

Best aesthetic, RAD-0, simply beautiful.

Built perfectly by what I can only imagine is a team of tiny sound engineers, the Utopia.

Built solid by people who value human pain, the Abyss 1266.

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #243 of 489
Great compared to what? Is it even an upgrade from 20yr old amb design or gilmore lite?
Have you not seen any reviews on the Soloist 3xp or GT? Lots of ppl compare the Oor +Hypnos to the Soloist GT. Both are outstanding amps. Also yes I would be willing to bet that the $2500 GT is better than the $500 Gilmore lite. I'm just a bit confused why you tend to hate on Burson when you have never heard a Burson amp?

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #245 of 489
Have you not seen any reviews on the Soloist 3xp or GT? Lots of ppl compare the Oor +Hypnos to the Soloist GT. Both are outstanding amps. Also yes I would be willing to bet that the $2500 GT is better than the $500 Gilmore lite. I'm just a bit confused why you tend to hate on Burson when you have never heard a Burson amp?
I don't like Burson because they use opamp output in their $1k+ amp. That's just lazy design and money grabbing. Someone should just compare the entire Burson line to glite or gs-1 on SE output and see if Burson holds up to 20yr old amps. Would be better if they would compare to dynalo plus amps, but those are still DIY at this point IIRC.

My BS meter goes to 11 when I see stuff like this:
1646080059058.png

Edit: looks like Burson got rid of opamp on the output stage in their latest amps. I suppose they get a pass for now until I can hear one and judge for myself.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #246 of 489
Feb 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #249 of 489
Enjoying this topic, to bad NY is so far away.

Has Grado a stand at the Canjam?
You would think so but I didn't notice one pair of Grados or Master & Dynamics there.

Feb 28, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #250 of 489
I was told that for the Oor the DAC being used was the Moon 390. The Ecro has an internal DAC which uses an in house developed D/A topology.
DAC is not holding the amp back then.

I was told that for the Oor the DAC being used was the Moon 390. The Ecro has an internal DAC which uses an in house developed D/A topology.
Which dac did Justin pair with Gilmore lite?

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #251 of 489
I love your composition with the lonely trash can... it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

oh, that was just me trying to zoom in to show the carpet, but if you want the full panoramic view :D

20220226_111108.jpg20220226_111114.jpg20220226_111121.jpg20220226_111127.jpg

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #252 of 489
Are there any more impressions of the T+A Solitaire P?
I wrote earlier that the T+A Solitaire P along with the T+A amp is about as close to the sound of an electrostatic headphone as one can get. I tend to spend too much time listening to headphones and amps that I can't afford without winning the lottery, it just makes me want to cry. However if you can afford the high price tag then by all means try to give the Solitaire a careful audition because they are among some of the best headphones I have ever heard. By the way, the lower priced Solitaire P-SE sound very, very close to their much more expensive big brother but there is way too much plastic for a close to $4K headphone. Now for a mere $11K one could get the Spirit Torino Valkyria, which are absolutely stunning and built like a little titanium tank plus they sound pretty as a bonus. :)

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #253 of 489
Were the Spirit Torino Valkyrias at the show? I heard somewhere that they were expected to be there.

20220227_125953.jpg

It Was a beautiful and luxurious headphone, the cable was gorgeous but the price not that much.

Feb 28, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #255 of 489
I was very impressed hearing the Dan Clark Stealth and Aeon Noire's with Centrance's powerhouse portables. I have a pair of the Aeon's myself and liked the lively presentation with the Centrance gear. I just got a Mojo 2 and like it with the Aeon Noir's also. The new Woo Fireflies were a nice step up from the earlier model and paired surprisingly well with the Abyss Diana's. It's a shame Abyss weren't at the show, as it would have been great to learn more about the new Diana. Very impressed with the Mojo 2, it sounds incredible with my Focal Stellia's -- it's a portable rig that is hard to beat in terms of sound, although iPhone 13 seems to have audio issues with the camera connector kit when the screen lock activates, I wonder if there is a fix for that... It was a great show, although some of the usual presenters were sorely missed. Audeze LCD-5 and CRBN were very impressive. Also impressive was the LCD-XC with Burson combo - not the ultimate in resolution, but very enjoyable. XC did a much better than average job with isolation at the show also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back