CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #256 of 489
at what LCD5 system where you find the LCD5 thin mids as there were likes 7 or even 10 setups with the LCD5s.
I didn't respond to the poster as "we all hear things differently" and all. But yah I changed my mind and will comment that, I wonder was it the fault of the system @ The Source AV it was auditioned with? I had quite the opposite opinion of the _tonality_ of the LCD-5. I immediately thought "well now, this is the sh^t; gorgeous too" after a few seconds of listening; that was immediately after listening to the DCA Stealth, followed by my slightly modified Ether Flow C (which I actually prefer), then the LCD-5. .... As to the the ergonomics and comfort opinions, I'd never debate how someone may feel about a heavy headphone; I get that.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #257 of 489

It Was a beautiful and luxurious headphone, the cable was gorgeous but the price not that much.

Wow, I heard great things about it from @thehutch but didn't have the time to swing by before they started breaking down their booth. Sorry I missed you at the Audio46 table @Terco I thought I'd more time to visit everything but still had a blast.

Surprise of the show was this sweet sounding audiophile grade power cable used to power the Apple USB DAC dongle. :D

PXL_20220227_213315762.MP.jpg

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #258 of 489
Some more random thoughts, on Audeze. Gave a few of the (ahem) more affordably priced offerings a go. I spent a good amount of time with the XC vs. the good deal cheaper 2 Closed. I have to say I prefer the 2 Closed over the far smoother XC. Shouldn't be a shock I guess. In my last post I said how I preferred my Ether Flow C to the far greater, smoother and more perfect Stealth. I guess I like some peaks and humps in both the bass and treble. :wink:

Biggest surprise tho is how much I liked the LCD-X. In all my years of attending CanJam and meets that had them, I'd never listened to it. And most surprising is how crankingly loud they got driven by my FiiO X7 using the AM3 THX balanced amp. When I expressed how much I like it to one of the Audeze staff attending to our needs he responded, "ya, there's a reason why it's our best selling headphone." I guess I was the last to know. LOL

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #259 of 489
My favorite booth this year is definitely the Musicteck booth; it had the most variety of different things to try for IEM guys/gals.

They also had many DAPs for trial. My favorite DAP was the M9 by Shanling despite the N8ii grabbing the most attention as it was newer.

I enjoyed "the bird" very much on both the N8ii and M9 DAPs.

Andrew is also a top shelf fellow (as many others have already mentioned) with great post purchase support.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #260 of 489
Two more memories from Can Jam NYC 2022

While working at the registration desk a discussion arose around the idea of offering a Can Jam hoodie for sale as well as the traditional Can Jam t-shirt. What are your feelings and should we start another thread/poll to help give the Headfi team a push in the right direction?

Towards the end of Day Two I was chatting with the Headfi godfather Jude at a table in the exhibit hall. With us were two young men who are in the process of launching a new headphones company, Auribus Acoustics, and they had a working prototype of their initial headphone offering, which they were getting feedback on in order to make some final adjustments before going into production. Jude was graciously giving these very nice sounding and looking open backed, dynamic, over ear headphones a careful listen. These headphones have a round earcup and the earpad design, along with overall sound signature, was being finalized based on the feedback they were receiving at the show. I wish them lots of luck and good fortune in their endeavors. With young men like these entering the business the future of headphones is very bright indeed.

https://www.auribusacoustics.com/

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #261 of 489
Rant: it was such a disservice to the headphone community that stereophile took down innerfidelity website. what a waste.
Yes, I thought that the InnerFidelity site was very useful and kept reviews of all the (many!) headphones that Tyll had tested. You would think that the ongoing hosting fees for the site was manageable for a publication like Sterephile, but maybe there were other considerations in play.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #262 of 489
While working at the registration desk a discussion arose around the idea of offering a Can Jam hoodie for sale as well as the traditional Can Jam t-shirt. What are your feelings and should we start another thread/poll to help give the Headfi team a push in the right direction?
We walked in and my wife said "I want a hoodie." I said, there are only t-shirts and she replied, "I want a hoodie."

So yeah, when she comes back, she's prolly gonna want a hoodie.

SIDE NOTE: I think shirt designs should be community sourced--like keep the OG shirt but maybe there's a contest to design future CanJam shirts and we can vote on them. Some of us are designers, and I think it would be fun for the community to be even more involved.

20220227_125953.jpg

It Was a beautiful and luxurious headphone, the cable was gorgeous but the price not that much.
These things were a one-off surprise. I loved everything about them except the pentagramish grill makes me feel like I can only listen to death metal. When I asked about the price, they said--there's like over $1000 worth of titanium in them and it takes something like 36 hours to machine. I said... can you use a little less titanium on mine then?

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #263 of 489

Towards the end of Day Two I was chatting with the Headfi godfather Jude at a table in the exhibit hall. With us were two young men who are in the process of launching a new headphones company, Auribus Acoustics, and they had a working prototype of their initial headphone offering, which they were getting feedback on in order to make some final adjustments before going into production. Jude was graciously giving these very nice sounding and looking open backed, dynamic, over ear headphones a careful listen. These headphones have a round earcup and the earpad design, along with overall sound signature, was being finalized based on the feedback they were receiving at the show. I wish them lots of luck and good fortune in their endeavors. With young men like these entering the business the future of headphones is very bright indeed.
They key is high quality at a reasonable price and no audiophile BS.

Feb 28, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #264 of 489
20220227_125953.jpg

Regardless of price I was hoping to get a take on the sound quality of them... Do they compete with other similar HPs at the TOTL range? The headfi thread for these is a bit "strange" (will leave it at that). Just trying to see if a few canjammers had takeaways on these from the event.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #265 of 489
Regardless of price I was hoping to get a take on the sound quality of them... Do they compete with other similar HPs at the TOTL range? The headfi thread for these is a bit "strange" (will leave it at that). Just trying to see if a few canjammers had takeaways on these from the event.
I only listened to them for 10 minutes but here's my quick take.

They start you off by playing ambient drum beats and that was an immediate 'wow' because the thing sounds speaker-like in presentation. Whatever tuning they've done is initially really, really impressive.

Once you start to go through some music you're familiar with--which is no easy feat because all their gear is set for Italian--parts of songs sound really incredible and others sound... strange? Like unnatural--not how I would have pictured the original track being recorded.

Build quality is as it looks--the things are solid with plenty of heft and I think they'd probably survive a Fiat running over them. Cabling is end level--have not seen much like them before.

As far as comparisons, I would take these over some other flagships, but not at this price. $4000 maybe.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #266 of 489
As has been stated many times in this thread, listening to open backed headphones (the Valkyria are open backed) in the main exhibit hall was less than ideal and therefore very difficult on the true sound of the headphones. Add in the (possibly) unfamiliar amplification and music and it really becomes almost impossible to get a good handle on the headphone's performance. Please remember that this is only an "impressions" thread and not a review thread. Short listening time, less than ideal conditions and lack of ability to directly compare with other headphones pretty much guarantees that anything other than an impression is pretty much worthless.

If you are really interested in these megabuck cans then I suggest that you wait for full reviews and measurements to be published and/or posted. At their price they are definitely not an impulse buy.

Feb 28, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #267 of 489
It was great to see everyone at the show this past weekend! We had some really constructive talks with people and collected a lot of valuable feedback on the VULKAN, as well as other current and upcoming models. It was also awesome to put some faces to notable names on these forum threads.

On our way out the door from the Marriott, we took the elevator down with Mr. Grell. We both agreed it was a great show!

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Feb 28, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #268 of 489
You would think so but I didn't notice one pair of Grados or Master & Dynamics there.
Nor many (if any) Beyerdynamics, Ultrasones, AKGs and Sonys. Very few Sennheisers. Amps and DACs missing were Benchmark, Naim and many others. Plus very few booths, besides Dekoni, with just accessories like stands, cables and cases. It's best to remember that the world is still awakening from the past two years of pandemic shutdown so getting up to speed will take some time. Hopefully CanJam NYC 2023 will have so many exhibitors that two floors will be needed. :ksc75smile:

They key is high quality at a reasonable price and no audiophile BS.
Do you mean like hoodies made from a solid block of aircraft quality aluminum with hand wound transformers? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #269 of 489
It was great to see everyone at the show this past weekend! We had some really constructive talks with people and collected a lot of valuable feedback on the VULKAN, as well as other current and upcoming models. It was also awesome to put some faces to notable names on these forum threads.

On our way out the door from the Marriott, we took the elevator down with Mr. Grell. We both agreed it was a great show!

It's about to erupt :D

1646089543994.png

Feb 28, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #270 of 489
Any impressions on the Dunu Vulkan?

Sadly, while I as at their table auditioning stuff, I did not try the two VULKAN prototypes they had. But I know @buke9 did, so he may be able to help with that when he gets back from traveling? :relaxed:

You see, if I'd gone to the show, I would have come away with one of those, too.

This is the part where I'm supposed to be all diplomatic, and say something like there's always next year...

SUX 2 B U! 🤣

I loved the scant amount of time that I spent at the DUNU booth though. Tom and I practically started in the hobby together. So even though we're both working in the industry now, our conversations are way more hobbyist than anything else... super refreshing!

What a great time. And my first CanJam in New York, as I normally have gone to SoCal. I like that there seems to be some considerable and appreciated differences between locations; I’m now opening my mind to the idea of checking out London, and who knows, maybe even Shenzen over the next couple of years. I always assumed since I only speak English that the latter would make no sense, but who knows?

Though we (and by we I mean @third_eye) work hard to make sure every CanJam is consistently a quality event, I have to admit that absolute uniformity is something that has eluded us. As a result, each CanJam is a unique experience unto itself. If I may, I'd like to suggest that Singapore and London be your next adventures. You won't regret either of them. :slight_smile:

I need a 3rd day of canjam...

Believe it or not, there used to be a CanJam that was three-days long. It was CanJam @ RMAF, and it's because that show (of which we were a subset) was three days long. If you think I looked tired at the end of day two, lemme tell ya, day three Warren is the very definition of running on fumes. 🤣

Oh, I also I really enjoyed meeting Warren, great guy to talk with and I know he put a lot of work into the show.

Aww, thanks so much! You're too kind. Hopefully we'll have more time to hang out soon, maybe Chicago? :relaxed:

😮 … but how!? 😊

Goals. :smile:

The wife won these at CanJam, designed by the legendary Axel Grell, the man behind practically every Sennheiser we all love.

Congratulations! 🎉🥳 What's great is how super down-to-earth Axel is, considering all that he's accomplished in this industry. He's super approachable, always willing to chat to any of us about anything under the sun, and never fails to greet us with a smile. :slight_smile:

Were the Spirit Torino Valkyrias at the show? I heard somewhere that they were expected to be there.
Yes and they look and sound spectacular, which they should for their $11,000 asking price (not a mistake $11k). The Spirit Torino table was one of the highlights of the show. All their headphones sound and look great regardless of the price. In spite of my lack of Italian and their imperfect English, I could still understand their pride in their headphones and their passion for their craft.

I believe they were. And if that's the one Spirit Torino I was able to audition, then it has the most unique staging I've ever heard. It wasn't so much like a traditional stage in terms of a sound field, but more like a sphere of sound all around you, with pinpoint imaging of instruments and voices within that sphere. I didn't get a chance to, but I'd love to try that with Sony's 360º Reality Audio stuff, as I imagine that would be quite an amazing experience.

Btw, after 4 years of CanJams and seeing this psychedelic carpet in Broadway Ballroom of Marriott Marquis:
1646066887014.png

they finally replaced it with... this?!
1646066918313.png

Dude... come to CanJam London. I'll show you a unique feature of their rooms that will haunt you for the rest of your life! :open_mouth:

Impressions Day 2

The most lasting impression I have from Can Jam NYC 2022 is that when headphone enthusiasts get together they really do create a community in every sense of the word. And what a great community to be a part of, with individuals of all ages, races and nationalities coming together to celebrate their love of music (I really doubt that anyone is this passionate about books on tape) and headphones and/or in ear monitors and amps and DAPs and everything else related to this wonderful hobby.

This year’s Can Jam was also one of rebirth, as the world slowly emerges from the past two years of suffering through the COVID pandemic. Those of us fortunate enough to be able attend Can Jam dearly missed those in the headphone still dealing with pandemic restrictions and therefore unable attend. Hopefully in very near future these restrictions will be lifted and our entire community will be united once again.

Because to the time I spent volunteering I made many new friends and was able to turn several acquaintances into true friends. All this makes me proud to be a headphone nerd.

Thanks once again to the entire Headfi team, all the manufacturers and all of my fellow headphone nerds for making this Can Jam truly special. See you next year!

+1! My absolute favorite part of the event was connecting with old Head-Fi friends and making new ones for the many years to come. It's hard to communicate just how much of a treasure this part of the experience is.

Surprise of the show was this sweet sounding audiophile grade power cable used to power the Apple USB DAC dongle. :D

PXL_20220227_213315762.MP.jpg

60 Amps. Now we know what those guys are really using when they say they're driving Susvaras with Apple dongles. :smile:

On a separate note, I just want to mention that Relaxasaurus was in the seminar room for almost the entire weekend, capturing them on video for y'all. Seeing as how the seminars ran for all of Saturday and most of Sunday, I'd say that his dedication and sacrifice is well worth a round of applause. :clap::clap::clap:

We walked in and my wife said "I want a hoodie." I said, there are only t-shirts and she replied, "I want a hoodie."

So yeah, when she comes back, she's prolly gonna want a hoodie.

We actually made a handful of hoodies for CanJam NYC 2022, just for staff as you know. It was on a whim, and we didn't think it'd be a big deal. Until we had to tell people that none of the hoodies were for sale. The resulting weeping and gnashing of teeth clued us into the thought that we might want to rethink that. 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back