CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #331 of 489
Single Crystal copper hook-up and signal wires, Mundorf MCap and ALPS RK50 are all included on WA23 as standard build. It is why internally we are calling it the "baby WA33 Elite". Here's a birds eye view next to WA33 Standard Edition for size comparison.

1646179547385.png
I saved the best for last. At the end of Sunday, I finally went to the Woo Audio listening room with the intention of hearing the Diana TC. I did hear it with the WA33 and it was excellent. However, I then got to hear the 1266 Phi TC on it and it blew me away. It was the best thing I heard all weekend and convinced me that I need to own the 1266TC and maybe the WA33 as well. The WA33 enabled the great bass of the 1266TC, but it evened out the frequency response for the rest of the curve. It sounded great with everything I heard on it. Jack told me I need to buy it now because I can't unhear what I just heard. He's right.

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #332 of 489
I ended the day with a short session with the Legend X and decided to take advantage of the show discount to get my first customs!

You will love them, I have a pair as well. Recommend you try them with both a copper cable and then silver cable to see how you prefer them - I use either the Socrates or EA Leo II Octa depending on the music, and the mood I'm in. I had a great conversation with @Eric Chong at Eletech, and @Jack Vang and the other rep at Empire Ears about the nuances in both cables.

Your seminar was great. I had three mics setup but you decided to go in front of the presentation table and make my life harder, hah! Was planning on posting all seminars to my channel. PM if you want me to make you look taller.

@Relaxasaurus Thanks for the all hard work in recording. Just subscribed to your channel as well

Mar 1, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #333 of 489
Mar 1, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #334 of 489
Speaking from first hand experience or just extremely hyped?
Well first I heard several people talking about the amazing 109 prototype at the Meze booth and then I went and heard the 109 prototype for myself and finally I find myself being one of the people telling everyone about the amazing 109 prototype at the Meze booth. Yes it's that kind of headphone. There was no hype, at least not from Meze since they only decided at the last minute to bring the 109, there was just a buzz coming from those who had a chance to listen to the 109. Hopefully the finished production model will sound even better than the prototype. Can't wait to hear what the reviewers have to say once the 109 is released.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #335 of 489
Single Crystal copper hook-up and signal wires, Mundorf MCap and ALPS RK50 are all included on WA23 as standard build. It is why internally we are calling it the "baby WA33 Elite". Here's a birds eye view next to WA33 Standard Edition for size comparison.

As a owner of the Diana TC and AB-1266 OG’s this amp did Woo me ( sorry I went there ) but a fantastic amp nonetheless.

Mar 1, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #336 of 489
As a reminder, if anybody still needs CanJam NYC 2022 attendance badges, please PM myself or @joe. :relaxed:

Mar 1, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #337 of 489
Mar 2, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #338 of 489
One thing I forgot to mention about the Cayin N8II. The sound is warm, smooth, and organic. The balance between those three is nearly perfect. What I like most about the Cayin N8II is the imaging and positioning. Listening to MJ's "Dirty Diana" was on another level, in comparison to what I'm used to. The stage was more 180 versus 160, and the positioning of the vocals/instruments was easy to notice.

Mar 2, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #339 of 489
One thing I forgot to mention about the Cayin N8II. The sound is warm, smooth, and organic. The balance between those three is nearly perfect. What I like most about the Cayin N8II is the imaging and positioning. Listening to MJ's "Dirty Diana" was on another level, in comparison to what I'm used to. The stage was more 180 versus 160, and the positioning of the vocals/instruments was easy to notice.

Have you tried LP P6 Pro? Interested to hear comparisons with the N8ii, also with SP2000.

Mar 2, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #340 of 489
I'm actually listening to that combo right now, and I agree with your impressions! :smiley: I'm running this chain: CEntrance HiFi-M8 V2 (bass and treble boosts engaged) ▸ 2.5 mm output to 4.4mm input ▸ CEntrance Ampersand (~11:00 volume; high gain) ▸ XLR output ▸ HEDD Audio HEDDPhone.

Technically-speaking, only the Ampersand is needed to drive the HEDDphone, but I finding the HiFi-M8 V2 to be a very welcome addition to the chain. Without the M8's bass and treble boosts engaged, I get that quintessential neutral studio-monitor signature. But with the M8's bass and treble boosts engaged, I get a very audiophiley signature with plenty of low end and air. The M8 gives me a super-easy way of switching back and forth between two very different presentations, both of which I can enjoy for different music, as I am multigenral.

BTW, if y'all are considering the combo, I'm pretty sure CEntrance was running a good show discount. I'd definitely contact them before purchasing anywhere else, to see if they'd consider extending that offer to save some money.

Aww, thanks for coming! :punch: :relaxed: All that gear is absolutely lovely, and necessary to be sure, but I've learned over the years that it's really the people that make CanJam special.

:smile: Justin @ampsandsound was telling me the same when he was trying to take his own photos before the show. I think the best bet is just to fix it in post.
Somebody should bring a nice light box to CanJam next time, big enough for the Red October, a set of Heddphones, and a few nice cables....

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #341 of 489
Just a heads up that I created a thread for my CanJam NYC 2022 impressions:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bassicsciences-canjam-nyc-2022-impressions-thread.962323/

It was originally going to be a blog, with live reports and such, but that didn't happen. The actual equipment "reviews" are contained in the third post. I still need to post my impressions of the estats I auditioned plus a few other odds and ends, and those should be up by tomorrow.

Major shout out to all the organizers and exhibitors that made it a great, fun show! Personal audio is in an amazing place right now, with a ton of great equipment for all tastes and budgets. A lot of dedicated and passionate people are responsible for making that happen, and we shouldn't take them for granted. Big salute to the industry!! :relaxed:

Mar 2, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #342 of 489
Major shout out to all the organizers and exhibitors that made it a great, fun show! Personal audio is in an amazing place right now, with a ton of great equipment for all tastes and budgets. A lot of dedicated and passionate people are responsible for making that happen, and we shouldn't take them for granted. Big salute to the industry!! :relaxed:
Very well stated and much appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #343 of 489
Have you tried LP P6 Pro? Interested to hear comparisons with the N8ii, also with SP2000.

I heard the LP P6 Pro and it was very dynamic. Maybe even more so than the Cayin N8II.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #344 of 489
No, I'm not talking about 'pre gain'. The Hiby has no pregain anyway, when you disable the MSRB it's instant and no volume change: My friend, I'm talking about the Fidelity of the the sound signature, not the volume:smile_cat:

I disagree with you 100%. LOL, :smiley_cat:Have a nice day!
I understand your position. However, I think the point also included that your experience isn't necessarily universal. As the saying goes, YMMV. Some people may use equalizer and couldn't imagine listening without it. Then there are people like yourself. All experiences and thoughts are valid. Broad, universal, statements masquerading as truth is just a bit too much. It's your truth only.....

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #345 of 489
I understand your position. However, I think the point also included that your experience isn't necessarily universal. As the saying goes, YMMV. Some people may use equalizer and couldn't imagine listening without it. Then there are people like yourself. All experiences and thoughts are valid. Broad, universal, statements masquerading as truth is just a bit too much. It's your truth only.....
EQ kills sound quality, In My Opinion. :smiley_cat:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back