CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 489
HeadAmp?
If not who are you referring too?
I'm going tomorrow and would like to hear it.
Thanks
Red October is made by Ampsandsound.

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #20 of 489
5E2D37AF-54CE-45EA-A54C-B0BBB274EA3D.jpeg

834EE12E-4704-473C-A5D4-C105D62451C9.jpeg

0D3A8ADF-9E3C-4EF9-B953-2CEB30FB6CE4.jpeg
2A92203D-8CED-4932-868F-8685D503812A.jpeg
D21C0090-BB52-4545-BBAB-A63F86BB6788.jpeg
1CA9CEE2-1EEF-498F-9CE6-CE0252D2009B.jpeg
BCF73948-B8D6-45D8-96A2-FF3D9E84BC36.jpeg
C9FD0EB9-A7B9-4CB6-85F0-A4444E214D5C.jpeg
C584F830-292B-4C4C-8535-B8C87EA6EF6B.jpeg
2ADC6A19-B1C7-4AC2-B130-7392BA53DC4F.jpeg
C33CF797-B29C-4814-A1C4-5067A559C56A.jpeg
27082A62-13CD-404B-9C9B-6B4F9A76F162.jpeg
CED378C1-4AEA-4DA9-82DA-4EF340362C10.jpeg
46BF3743-8C41-42AD-AB64-C2A3E1BF70D2.jpeg

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #21 of 489
This is my first CanJam, thanks to Kerry and Joe from Eksonic, Bloom Audio did not ask for his name but nice guy, Steve Smith from dCS, Ferrum booth, Jack and Mike from Woo Audio, and Audeze booth for all my audition today.

Most of the tracks that were used for the listening were: Adele - Hello, Adele - When we were young, Eagles - Hotel California/Hell Freezes Over

My first stop Eksonic, Stax SR-007 MK1 --> Eksonic Aeras --> DIY DAC according to Kerry --> Roon, wow the bass is 2nd most impressive in the show tying with the Abyss 1266 phi TC out of Woo Audio 33 standard edition with the Woo WDS-1 DAC. Different types of bass there is resonance in the SR-007 MK1 heard in none of the other headphones except read below.. So effortless in the whole frequency spectrum, while the tonality is very rich. My second favorite pairing in the show.

Stax SR-009s--> Eksonic Aeras (pre-production)--> DIY DAC --> Roon, better separation than the SR-007 MK1 not by much instruments sound amazing. Sounds probably slightly brighter than the SR-007 MK1 guess from the extra separation details.
Jack Woo for Woo Audio walk in took my spot on the DIY T2 :disappointed_relieved:

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> Eskonic Aeras (protype)--> Denafrips 'Ares' I believed that was the model --> Roon, heard this setup twice not the same level as the DIY DAC Kerry made, less slam, less dynamic, less lively still better than most of the other setup I heard. The Denafrips definitely the weakness link here.

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, my favorite of the show slam, dynamic, clarity, details, soundstage, absolutely top notch it slam harder than the Abyss 1266 phi TC to my ears I am sure someone will disagree. It really sound like live music, vocal is beyond amazing. If I got the money, this setup will be my endgame.

Audeze CRBN -- DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, not that the same level as the Stax SR-007/009S much leaner, less dynamic, slam, and etc.. You get the point.
Spent about 2 hours in this booth alone.

Audeze booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Burson Soloist 3X I believe (saw the Noctua fan) --> Nagra HD DAC X I believe --> The playlist on the tablet was "Hotel California" and "Caribbean Blue" by Enya, vocal is quite forward as expected. Soundstage is average, very good details and clarity similar to the Susvara, bass is got good extension and impact definitely not bass lite as some described it. But, probably too much focus on the mid-range kind of masking other part of the frequency spectrum to my ear.

Ferrum booth, Focal Utopia --> Ferrum OOR/Hypsos --> ??? Dac is not on the table. First time hearing the Focal Utopia, I like the sound signature not as mid-forward as the LCD-5 slightly less details, probably similar soundstage to the LCD-5. Bass impact is quite similar to the LCD-5 probably edge out the Utopia a bit except the LCD-5 extends better.

Ampsandsound booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Ampsandsound Red October 16ohms output (I believed that was the one I heard with the 300B and 5U4G tubes) --> ??? I heard it was pair with the Chord TT2 but I could be wrong hiding under the table --> DAP by Roon? Least favorite combo in the whole show for me, when listening to Adele's Hello and When We Were Young the vocal sibilance/chirp. Not sure if that was cable issue? Perhaps the Audeze LCD-5 is picking up something? Didn't hear that in the Audeze booth. No clam on the headband, think they got it fixed, very comfortable.

Hifiman booth didn't get to hear, too many people.

Bloom Audio, Hifiman Susvara --> Hifiman EF1000 --> Chord TT2/MScaler --> DAP no idea what model. Power up the Susvara beautifully opens up the upper range nicely, still lack of bass impact comparing to the Audeze LCD-5/Utopia, good soundstage, very neutral can be listening to this for long session. The overall presentation is probably my third favorite pairing of the show.

dCS booth, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2 --> dCS Uris XLR output --> Roon. Very netural sounds nothing stands out or out of place, also my first time hearing either the dCS and Ether 2 no prior experience.

Woo Audio listen to almost all the setup except the WA8. What surprises me is the Stax SR-X9000 is not that popular, most of the people were lining up for the WA23 new amp and the WA33 pairing with the Abyss 1266 phi TC.
Audeze CRBN/Stax SR-X9000 --> Woo 3ES --> ??? DAC --> Roon, Stax SR-X9000 seems to be more effortless in the overall presentation good soundstage probably similar to the Abyss 1266 phi TC, bass is still lacking of impact, vocal is as good as the Susvara. CRBN everything is well presented, but kind of a bit behind in details and speed next to the SR-X9000. The bass is slightly more impactful on the CRBN not by much.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA7 3rd generation --> Roon, a bit mid-forward in the vocal, soundstage is more closed in around the LCD-5. Overall, not bad except the comfort is a bit weird hot spot on the top of the head and the earpad clamp isn't as comfortable as the LCD-5. Heard little bit a chrip in the vocal as well not nearly as bad as the Ampsandsound setup.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA23 --> ?? DAC --> Roon, similar to the WA7 presentation probably slightly better, didn't hear too much different.

Abyss 1266 Phi TC --> Woo Audio WA33 standard edition --> Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC --> Roon, great bass extension and impact, very good details unfortunely that is all the positive I got for this combo. The mid is recessed really weird compared all the headphone in the show, least favorite mid-range out of all the headphone. Nothing special on the higher spectrum.

Hope I didn't miss anything, thanks for setting up the CanJam experience Ethan third_eye and all the volunteers that make this happen.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #22 of 489
Meze is coming out with a new model, I think it's called the 109 PRO and a major upgrade to the 99.

They said retail would be around $700-800 and it's well worth that price. Low end is nice and punchy, but really clear--mids were not fatiguing at all, reminiscent of an HD650.

Anyone here should definitely give them a listen!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #23 of 489
I hope to bring a slightly different perspective with my show impressions.

This year I decided to volunteer at the sign in table. What a fabulous group of people who work for Headfi and Can Jam. I was treated as one of the family and had a great time plus I got to learn a little about what goes on behind the scenes. If you can manage it I highly recommend volunteering at any Can Jam. You won't regret it.
Okay now for some impressions on equipment.
I had the chance to listen to the new Warwick Acoustics Bravua electrostatic headphones in a private audition in the reps room. If you own or familiar with the Model One then you should try to hear the Bravua. A very worthwhile upgrade or first purchase.
At the Chord booth I listened to the new Mojo2 with the Meze Liric. Great pairing which a lively and detailed sound.
At the Audio 46 I checked out the incredible T+A amp and Solitaire headphones - the closest sound to electrostatic headphones you can get. Truly amazing.
In the Dan Clark Audio room I had a long listen to the amazing Stealth headphones. Yes they are somewhat pricy but to my ears they are worth every penny. On a very short list of the best closed back headphones available.
I plan on returning tomorrow to confirm just how poor I'm going to be after I open my wallet.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #24 of 489
Side note: Did anyone else have similar experience with the Audeze CRBN, as I held the headphone up with one hand on the right ear cup the ear cup rotates by itself almost pinching my hand between my hand and the headphone mounting? Almost causing me to drop the headphone, that was the only headphone that did that, I tried two different pairs one in Eksonic booth and Woo Audio booth similar experience in both.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #26 of 489
This is my first CanJam, thanks to Kerry and Joe from Eksonic, Bloom Audio did not ask for his name but nice guy, Steve Smith from dCS, Ferrum booth, Jack and Mike from Woo Audio, and Audeze booth for all my audition today.

Most of the tracks that were used for the listening were: Adele - Hello, Adele - When we were young, Eagles - Hotel California/Hell Freezes Over

My first stop Eksonic, Stax SR-007 MK1 --> Eksonic Aeras --> DIY DAC according to Kerry --> Roon, wow the bass is 2nd most impressive in the show tying with the Abyss 1266 phi TC out of Woo Audio 33 standard edition with the Woo WDS-1 DAC. Different types of bass there is resonance in the SR-007 MK1 heard in none of the other headphones except read below.. So effortless in the whole frequency spectrum, while the tonality is very rich. My second favorite pairing in the show.

Stax SR-009s--> Eksonic Aeras (pre-production)--> DIY DAC --> Roon, better separation than the SR-007 MK1 not by much instruments sound amazing. Sounds probably slightly brighter than the SR-007 MK1 guess from the extra separation details.
Jack Woo for Woo Audio walk in took my spot on the DIY T2 :disappointed_relieved:

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> Eskonic Aeras (protype)--> Denafrips 'Ares' I believed that was the model --> Roon, heard this setup twice not the same level as the DIY DAC Kerry made, less slam, less dynamic, less lively still better than most of the other setup I heard. The Denafrips definitely the weakness link here.

Stax SR-007 MK1/Stax SR-009S --> DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, my favorite of the show slam, dynamic, clarity, details, soundstage, absolutely top notch it slam harder than the Abyss 1266 phi TC to my ears I am sure someone will disagree. It really sound like live music, vocal is beyond amazing. If I got the money, this setup will be my endgame.

Audeze CRBN -- DIY T2 --> DIY DAC --> Roon, not that the same level as the Stax SR-007/009S much leaner, less dynamic, slam, and etc.. You get the point.
Spent about 2 hours in this booth alone.

Audeze booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Burson Soloist 3X I believe (saw the Noctua fan) --> Nagra HD DAC X I believe --> The playlist on the tablet was "Hotel California" and "Caribbean Blue" by Enya, vocal is quite forward as expected. Soundstage is average, very good details and clarity similar to the Susvara, bass is got good extension and impact definitely not bass lite as some described it. But, probably too much focus on the mid-range kind of masking other part of the frequency spectrum to my ear.

Ferrum booth, Focal Utopia --> Ferrum OOR/Hypsos --> ??? Dac is not on the table. First time hearing the Focal Utopia, I like the sound signature not as mid-forward as the LCD-5 slightly less details, probably similar soundstage to the LCD-5. Bass impact is quite similar to the LCD-5 probably edge out the Utopia a bit except the LCD-5 extends better.

Ampsandsound booth, Audeze LCD-5 --> Ampsandsound Red October 16ohms output (I believed that was the one I heard with the 300B and 5U4G tubes) --> ??? I heard it was pair with the Chord TT2 but I could be wrong hiding under the table --> DAP by Roon? Least favorite combo in the whole show for me, when listening to Adele's Hello and When We Were Young the vocal sibilance/chirp. Not sure if that was cable issue? Perhaps the Audeze LCD-5 is picking up something? Didn't hear that in the Audeze booth. No clam on the headband, think they got it fixed, very comfortable.

Hifiman booth didn't get to hear, too many people.

Bloom Audio, Hifiman Susvara --> Hifiman EF1000 --> Chord TT2/MScaler --> DAP no idea what model. Power up the Susvara beautifully opens up the upper range nicely, still lack of bass impact comparing to the Audeze LCD-5/Utopia, good soundstage, very neutral can be listening to this for long session. The overall presentation is probably my third favorite pairing of the show.

dCS booth, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2 --> dCS Uris XLR output --> Roon. Very netural sounds nothing stands out or out of place, also my first time hearing either the dCS and Ether 2 no prior experience.

Woo Audio listen to almost all the setup except the WA8. What surprises me is the Stax SR-X9000 is not that popular, most of the people were lining up for the WA23 new amp and the WA33 pairing with the Abyss 1266 phi TC.
Audeze CRBN/Stax SR-X9000 --> Woo 3ES --> ??? DAC --> Roon, Stax SR-X9000 seems to be more effortless in the overall presentation good soundstage probably similar to the Abyss 1266 phi TC, bass is still lacking of impact, vocal is as good as the Susvara. CRBN everything is well presented, but kind of a bit behind in details and speed next to the SR-X9000. The bass is slightly more impactful on the CRBN not by much.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA7 3rd generation --> Roon, a bit mid-forward in the vocal, soundstage is more closed in around the LCD-5. Overall, not bad except the comfort is a bit weird hot spot on the top of the head and the earpad clamp isn't as comfortable as the LCD-5. Heard little bit a chrip in the vocal as well not nearly as bad as the Ampsandsound setup.

Abyss Diana V2 --> Woo Audio WA23 --> ?? DAC --> Roon, similar to the WA7 presentation probably slightly better, didn't hear too much different.

Abyss 1266 Phi TC --> Woo Audio WA33 standard edition --> Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC --> Roon, great bass extension and impact, very good details unfortunely that is all the positive I got for this combo. The mid is recessed really weird compared all the headphone in the show, least favorite mid-range out of all the headphone. Nothing special on the higher spectrum.

Hope I didn't miss anything, thanks for setting up the CanJam experience Ethan third_eye and all the volunteers that make this happen.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the show. I was wondering since you heard the Aeras and DIY T2, was the Aeras of comparable performance to the T2? I understand it was show conditions and it will never be as optimal as hearing them in your own home, but if you could humor me a bit. What are your thoughts on this? Since I read the Aeras was your second favorite, is it safe to assume the Aeras generally achieved the goals Kerry set for it (that is to capture the sound of the T2)?

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #30 of 489
Seeing as I haven't been to a CanJam since 2019, what changes were effected for post-COVID-19 (since it's pretty much over). I see the masks are no longer mandatory. Is the equipment sanitized between users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back