CanJam NYC 2022 (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #121 of 619
Are alot of the chifi companies not attending this year? Was looking forward to Thieaudio and fearless customs.

Smaller chi-fi manufacturers rarely attend CanJam NYC, and you can find them more often at CanJam SGP. Instead, at NYC they are represented by their local distributors/retailers. With two brands you mentioned, ping Headphones to find out if they are bringing samples to the show.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #122 of 619
I assume we can bring our own headphones to audition other amps and sources
Yes, for the most part - I'm not sure what the etiquette is for listening to your headphones on an amp that's been set up by a headphone manufacturer to show off their headphones...

can we also bring our amps to audition other headphones?
If you mean a desktop amp that needs to be plugged in, I doubt it. The vendors have limited table-top space and there isn't really much space to add more chairs, typically.

This will be my first time attending a CanJam, in general, what I can I expect?
Auditioning so much gear all at once can be tiring and overwhelming: it's all too easy to bounce from one audition to the next and lose track of what you thought of that pair of headphones you heard three hours ago (what were they again, I've forgotten?!). I take breaks between auditioning gear to give my ears a break. I use that time to jot down some listening notes. I also come up with a list of gear I want to hear in advance.

Jan 3, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #123 of 619
So I'm fairly new to this - which is to say I've been in love with audio quality for 15 years but haven't really been able to rock more than a pair at a time, and what I'm looking for now is a few "situational" pairs and amp/DAC/DAP. I'm used to running my Ety ER4SRs for noise isolation and their signature flat response.

What might going do for me besides get some listening time?

My real hope is to pick up one closed back set (subway riding) in the $400 range (looking at the Focal Elegias right now which are $379 @ Adorama), and a good portable DAC/amp (looking at the Fiio Q5s TC).

Bonuses would be a great price on a DAP and a nice set of open backs for home, but am not sure what my options are since I've got a little bit of a focus on the higher end Fiio offerings in that realm. Tax season should be pretty good to me, but I don't want to come out on the other side empty pocketed either.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #127 of 619
My real hope is to pick up one closed back set (subway riding) in the $400 range (looking at the Focal Elegias right now which are $379 @ Adorama), and a good portable DAC/amp (looking at the Fiio Q5s TC).
Although this is off topic, from first hand experience I would strongly recommend using headphones with good noise cancelling for listening when riding the NYC subways. And with all the other noises and distractions of subway riding an external amp provides little benefit since listening while on the subway does not require audiophile level equipment. Something like the Sony WH-1000XM4 used with a mobile phone and Bluetooth or a digital music player (like the Sony NW A45) and wired will work great while on the subway.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #128 of 619
You can also get some nice features like LDAC and NFC pairing with a small Sony player like the A45/55. A pair of WH-1000XM4 and one of the small Sony DAPs would make a great combo. I haven't owned one of Sony's A series players since the A30 but I wouldn't hesitate to use that and a pair of Sony headphones as a subway rig.

A good pair of ANC headphones can be a life and sanity saver. I don't travel without the NC700 anymore - not that I've been doing much travel of late.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #129 of 619
You can also get some nice features like LDAC and NFC pairing with a small Sony player like the A45/55. A pair of WH-1000XM4 and one of the small Sony DAPs would make a great combo. I haven't owned one of Sony's A series players since the A30 but I wouldn't hesitate to use that and a pair of Sony headphones as a subway rig.
Thanks for this tip. I have a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3 and a Sony NW A45 player which I've always used with a wired connection and with noise cancelling on. I just tried the two using Bluetooth and it sounds great! Learn something new everyday.

Jan 10, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #130 of 619
Does anybody know if Junior's is past the cream cheese shortage? I'm getting cravings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back