CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #121 of 400
kumar402

Thank you!

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #122 of 400
What closed back headphones priced $500-$700 impressed you and why.

The z7m2 and zmf verite and eikon.

Good subb bass high resolving sound warm bassy and treble not peaky.

Lots of fun with those

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #124 of 400
Vérité and Eikon are >>$1000.
Over $2K in the case of the Verite closed....and worth every penny! A lot of cash,but if you want to go straight to game over,the Verite closed is the answer.

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #127 of 400
Just got back and somehow spent almost the entire day there. These were the amps/combos that created an impression. I used my own Utopias whenever I could, to use as a reference.

Bartok w/ the Utopia
I have to confess I didn't want to be, given the asking price etc., but was quite impressed with this. This DAC/headphone amp combo would make a perfect complement to something like the DAVE, hehe. This is the only setup I really wanted to listen more and more of out everything at the show. It didn't hurt that they had their own room to themselves, so it was sufficiently quiet enough to get a real "audition-like" experience with the amp. Very much appreciated that.​
Anyway, my immediate impressions line up with what I'd heard -- adjectives that pop out to me are balanced, dynamic, separated, solid-sounding, organic, warm-ish, un-harsh. And required no cognitive adjustment period. Just speculating, but I feel like a more extended time of several months with it would lead to either a deepening appreciation of what it does well, or possibly boredom. Probably the former, but there'd be only one good way to find out, eh heh.​

Woo 3ES w/ 009
BHSE w/ VOCE
I don't have much experience with electrostats but really liked both of these setups with jazz, especially the Woo. I felt like the 3ES shared some common characteristics with the sound of the WA33. But actually, the BHSE/VOCE particularly impressed with a couple random pop tracks, which was unexpected. It elevated what I heard into something extra-musical and holographic. Rock, not as much though.​

Auris Nirvana w/ Susvara and Utopia
Liked this a lot as well. This was the setup that made the biggest impact on a friend who I went with, who I share a lot in common with in terms of preferences. It acquitted itself well with the Susvara.​
Benchmark HPA4 w/ Utopia and Stellia (Focal booth)
Wow, I re-remembered the things I liked so much about the AHB2 (the speaker amp from which the HPA4 is derived). So detailed and clean, amazing treble while sounding laid back and un-harsh. In contrast, the Phonitor sitting right next to it sounded the opposite to me, my friend thought so too, which is a damn shame too cuz it looks so good in red, lol but oh well.​
Hugo TT2 w/ Utopia (Audiowise booth, using Opto-DX w/ HQPlayer)
This was the first time I heard the TT2, but this setup reminded me the most of my home setup (M-Scaler > Opto-DX > DAVE, running the Opto-DX boxes and M-Scaler off of batteries). I felt like I could immediately identify the extra clarity and "black void" (background) that the Opto-DX was bringing to the resulting sound, and so found it to be a validating experience.​

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #128 of 400
I think I'm going for the Shanling M6 this week. It's far more refined and a bit more neutral than the Shanling M3S. What I like most is the speedy navigation and it's easy to hold.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #129 of 400
Anyone check out the Abyss Diana V2 and/or Woo Audio WA11 Topaz?

I listened to the WA11 with that grey Diana in the Woo room for a hot second (Phi? V2?). With an emphasis on "hot". As in bright. That was my experience, at least. The Dianas don't have a good fit on my head though so that may be have been one reason why.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #130 of 400
The UM Mest is pretty good. Actually very nice. Its technical performance is impressive for $1,400. I noticed that its energetic, but not overbearingly energetic. The details in the background are fairly obvious. The tonality is crisp and cool. The bass is fast and for this reason the overall sound tilts near neutral, but still balanced. As for the stage, the dispersion of the stage is slightly above average. Great layering and best of all, the mids are crystal clear like diamonds. Oh, I also forgot that the positioning of the instruments are special from this particular IEM. This IEM can handle just about any genre you can throw at it. Must be because of the bone conduction. I think.

It will be your fault if I order the MEST :dizzy_face::wink:

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #131 of 400
If you're an electrostatic headphone fan -- or interested in hearing an impressive electrostatic headphone system -- check out the corsonus exhibit. I heard their amp driving the STAX SR-009 and was mighty impressed.

11187159.jpg
11187161.jpg
Looks awesome but I cannot find anything about it in the web.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #132 of 400
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #133 of 400
What closed back headphones priced $500-$700 impressed you and why.
PSB, Beyerdynamics and Fostex had few models in that range but I couldnt hear those. Audeze LCD1 is in this range. Not sure about the pricing of new Aeon Flow closed but it is very light and portable. If you only want closed back then save up a bit and get Atticus or used ZIR or Eikon. I have seen used Z1R here for 1100. Drop has Panda coming.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #135 of 400
If you're an electrostatic headphone fan -- or interested in hearing an impressive electrostatic headphone system -- check out the corsonus exhibit. I heard their amp driving the STAX SR-009 and was mighty impressed.

11187159.jpg
11187161.jpg
Had a listen and it had nice tube thing going in mid bass. Had a definite tube bloom and treble was relaxed. Very nice to listen to.
Little pricey though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back