CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #108 of 400
What new gear stood out to you? Did you discover any new music? What took you by surprise? Do you have questions for your fellow Head-Fi'ers? This is the place to share your thoughts from the show.
I carry KZ ZSA's for my Hizdiz AP80. Plugged them into the Hiby R6pro. I was not expecting that wall of sound that i got. Amazing. I also found more of a liking towards closed back headphones like the Aeon 2 and Elegia that was hooked up to an SPL Phonitor2.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #109 of 400
It seems both are being said as great.

I need someone to test heavy metal on the Dunu Luna, because the chamber acoustic setup on the A8000 makes it sound perfectly represented. Independent of the great driver material tech.

https://tidal.com/track/106181669
I played Jethro Tull “Aqualung” on both and liked the Dunu Luna best. It has more impactful bass. Tks.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #110 of 400
I played Jethro Tull “Aqualung” on both and liked the Dunu Luna best. It has more impactful bass. Tks.

What I mean is how it mimics the 3d seperation of a car audio setup. The presentation.

But having a more enjoyable bass is nice too.

But did that bass influence the imaging/soundstage?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #111 of 400
What I mean is how it mimics the 3d seperation of a car audio setup. The presentation.

But having a more enjoyable bass is nice too.
I totally preferred the Luna to the 8000. I also felt the 8000 had a bit of a metallic sound at times. It may be a hype machine. Be careful. If you can, listen at different times to be sure of your choice. That will eliminate your mood potentially changing your view. I compared them using a Cayin N8 using Pop, Rock, female voice among others. I mention as you seem ready to purchase, so hope this helps. Tks.

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #112 of 400
20200216_135802.jpg

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #113 of 400
The UM Mest is pretty good. Actually very nice. Its technical performance is impressive for $1,400. I noticed that its energetic, but not overbearingly energetic. The details in the background are fairly obvious. The tonality is crisp and cool. The bass is fast and for this reason the overall sound tilts near neutral, but still balanced. As for the stage, the dispersion of the stage is slightly above average. Great layering and best of all, the mids are crystal clear like diamonds. Oh, I also forgot that the positioning of the instruments are special from this particular IEM. This IEM can handle just about any genre you can throw at it. Must be because of the bone conduction. I think.

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #114 of 400
The UM Mest is pretty good. Actually very nice. Its technical performance is impressive for $1,400. I noticed that its energetic, but not overbearingly energetic. The details in the background are fairly obvious. The tonality is crisp and cool. The bass is fast and for this reason the overall sound tilts near neutral, but still balanced. As for the stage, the dispersion of the stage is slightly above average. Great layering and best of all, the mids are crystal clear like diamonds. Oh, I also forgot that the positioning of the instruments are special from this particular IEM. This IEM can handle just about any genre you can throw at it. Must be because of the bone conduction. I think.
Check out the Luna, outstanding

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #115 of 400
As for the DUNU Luna. I found it to be slightly warmer than the UM Mest. The treble extension from the DUNU Luna is certainly extended. The bass is more of a buoyant type of bass. Yet it remains in control. The best part of the Luna is the precise separation of frequencies for attack and decay. The bass, mids, and highs are dancing with each other, but they aren't stepping on each others feet. The stage is above average in width and depth. As for the instrument separation, once again, the DUNU Luna doesn't want to have the instruments step on their feet. Overall an outstanding IEM.

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #116 of 400
Check out the Luna, outstanding
Came here for people's thoughts on the R8, staying for comparisons of gear I can't afford...

Did you get a chance to check out the Final A8000? Single beryllium DD like the Luna, IIRC. I wonder how they compare out of the same source.

What's odd to me is that I like the renders of the Luna over the A8000. I tend to go for that sleek, metallic look.

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #118 of 400
What closed back headphones priced $500-$700 impressed you and why.

The Fostex TH610. That's because its smooth sounding and that background is silent and completely pitch black. Although I only tested that headphone for that price range. I did however test a ton of IEMs in that price range.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #119 of 400
Any impressions of Chord’s new stuff: 2Go&2Yu?

Feb 16, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #120 of 400
If anyone makes it into the DCS suite can they let me know which isolation platforms they are using underneath the BARTOK? I forgot the name
Here you go buddy
8AAEE03A-ED40-47C0-88FE-BD4CBE7B7B5D.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back