CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #76 of 400
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #77 of 400
Hey Kids.

This was my first CanJam. Previous trade show experience has been in the likes of Apple, Adobe, and Progressive Motorcycle and Boat shows. As such, I was conditioned to expect something huge in scope. Instead, this was small and intimate which I actually now prefer. Interactions were much more personal.

As a very happy owner and daily user of a HiBy R6 Pro, I was excited to see the R8. They didn't have any official specs and the price was guesstimated to be around $2K (max).

For those interested, Focal is selling headphones at 20% off MSRP and, get this, no VAT/tax.

Anyway, here are some environment shots from today to give you a feel of the show. Definitely go if you have the time tomorrow. Just stay away from the Elmos. There's a turf war going on.

Rudy
Was there a working demo of the R8? If so did you have a listen? At $2k I'd expect an A&K/Lotoo killer.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #78 of 400
Also was there an Ibasso Max dap?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #79 of 400
That's one of the things I like about it. I have limited myself to IEMs so far, but have been eyeing headphones for ages. The main thing that is keeping me back is that (as a good little head-fier) I tend to escalate things in terms of cost rather quickly. This setup (Drop CAN + HD6xx) looks like it might well be a very attractive setup to consider starting out with while I try to fend off my more expensive tube amp urges (that Euterpe looks so good). :D

Had to drop this in (excuse the pun) - the hip-dac - also looks very cool and goes down well with Jude. He used it with Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000! Isn't that a $2000 headphone? $149 driving $2000 - pretty special.

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #80 of 400
Had to drop this in (excuse the pun) - the hip-dac - also looks very cool and goes down well with Jude. He used it with Audio Technica ATH-ADX5000! Isn't that a $2000 headphone? $149 driving $2000 - pretty special.

Thanks. I don't have these headphones anywhere nearby, so we'll have to trust Jude's words, but according to him that is something!

Also, there are still several hours left to sign-up and win a hip-dac at our booth at NYC CanJam.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #82 of 400
Yesterday was my first time participating in CanJam. It was so fun to try new earphones and headphones around.

I would say what has impressed me the most was Final A8000. I have never heard of this brand before and it seems like they are from Japan. There are even staffs from Japan at the booth.

I just could not believe that it is an IEM with only 1 dynamic driver. The speed is so fast with incredible transient response and every tiny details from every instruments is crystal clear.

The separation and layering with completely quite and dark background was an experience that I have never had before from an IEM.

It could be my personal preference though, but I highly recommend those who are going to the show give it a try.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #84 of 400
So how was-

What... Of all things to bring?!
IMG_20200216_163348.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #87 of 400
I’m not an IEM guy but do suggest some nice IEM to check out in the show. Will spend time with them.

Also look at Empire Ears and Noble, the Noble M3 is very low profile and fits extremely well for a universal (at least in my ears). I would also visit Meze Audio and listen to the Rai Penta.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #89 of 400
Is every exhibitor disinfecting each headphone between uses or should we bring disinfecting wipes? I just realized this is an event where everyone's sticking things in their ears in the middle of a global pandemic while Mobile World Congress got cancelled. (Not trying to freak anyone out lol)

The vendors have alcohol wipes they use to wipe down gear and tips. If you have your own tips, you could use those if they fit the IEM you're demo'ing.

Those IEMs have been gathering a lot of street cred recently!

I like them due to the good sound, but the form factor is great for a small IEM that fits well in the ear for travel and being able to sleep in while on a plane. With foam tips, it provides pretty good isolation.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #90 of 400
@iFi audio - Since I am not at the show this time (so cannot ask you in person):
What are the differences (other than 6xx button) between the Zen DAC and the Drop version?
Can you disclose price for the Drop version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back