CanJam NYC 2020 (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #166 of 596
All set for my first CanJam :L3000: I went to an ”official Head-Fi meet” in San Francisco in 2017 that was like a mini CanJam, so I know what to expect, but I’m still stoked. First time to visit NY and my wife is coming with (her first time as well). We’re doing it big with a Broadway show and reservations at Per Se, Eleven Madison Park and Le Bernardin. Foodie heaven! Would appreciate any recommendations on cheap eats since we’ll be spending a small fortune on those 3 meals. Also any feedback on what tourist attractions are worth it and what are traps. Thanks!

Holy cow! Nice plans. Hoping for great weather. You'll have an amazing trip with those plans. But great weather will raise it to another level. :wink:

Awesome cheap eats are our jam. But most wont be where I'm assuming is your hotel (at least I'm assuming you'll be staying in midtown). Where is your hotel? I can give you a few names for killer meals that wont break the bank by PM if you are fine taking the subway and/or bus and/or walk to the Gramercy or East Village areas.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #167 of 596
Hello guys:) Is there usually any discounts offered by the Sennheiser? Thanks
I can’t say for sure but I don’t remember them offering one.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #168 of 596
All set for my first CanJam :L3000: I went to an ”official Head-Fi meet” in San Francisco in 2017 that was like a mini CanJam, so I know what to expect, but I’m still stoked. First time to visit NY and my wife is coming with (her first time as well). We’re doing it big with a Broadway show and reservations at Per Se, Eleven Madison Park and Le Bernardin. Foodie heaven! Would appreciate any recommendations on cheap eats since we’ll be spending a small fortune on those 3 meals. Also any feedback on what tourist attractions are worth it and what are traps. Thanks!
Define 'cheap' : I know a few good Irish pubs I can steer you to, for cheap you can go to 5 Guys or Pizza Supreme.... Best way to see city is take subway to China town, pick an avenue and walk North!

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #169 of 596
Define 'cheap' : I know a few good Irish pubs I can steer you to, for cheap you can go to 5 Guys or Pizza Supreme.... Best way to see city is take subway to China town, pick an avenue and walk North!
Like <~$25/person (not including alcohol). We're doing those 3 big ticket meals (one per day), so looking for something casual/budget friendly for the other meals. Definitely looking for some pizza recs, delis, bagel sandwich for breakfast, any other quintessential NYC street food, etc.

Jan 2, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #170 of 596
Like <~$25/person (not including alcohol). We're doing those 3 big ticket meals (one per day), so looking for something casual/budget friendly for the other meals. Definitely looking for some pizza recs, delis, bagel sandwich for breakfast, any other quintessential NYC street food, etc.
Where are you staying? Specific street and cross street?

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:31 PM Post #173 of 596
Quintessential street food is hot dogs, Mister Softee ice cream truck knockoffs, gyro/falafel trucks, and Nuts 4 Nuts (I've never actually had the last two). That's 99% of the street food. Best place for cheap great food is Chinatown, and there's cheap good asian food all over the city, especially ramen. There are $1-2 per slice non-chain pizza places all over (though not so much in the touristy areas like Times Square and Rockefeller Center) that are great.

Some non-food stuff in NYC: there are showrooms that are only in NYC, like for high-end chairs from Herman Miller (they make the classic Eames chair as well the Aeron), Steelcase, Haworth, Knoll, etc; the Nintendo World store; off-broadway immersive theater like Sleep No More which was a much more memorable experience than any traditional play I've seen; and there's a location for The Void location-based VR experience you can do with several people at once together although they're currently moving locations and I'm not sure if they'll be back up and running by CanJam.

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #174 of 596
Quintessential street food is hot dogs, Mister Softee ice cream truck knockoffs, gyro/falafel trucks, and Nuts 4 Nuts (I've never actually had the last two). That's 99% of the street food. Best place for cheap great food is Chinatown, and there's cheap good asian food all over the city, especially ramen. There are $1-2 per slice non-chain pizza places all over (though not so much in the touristy areas like Times Square and Rockefeller Center) that are great.

Some non-food stuff in NYC: there are showrooms that are only in NYC, like for high-end chairs from Herman Miller (they make the classic Eames chair as well the Aeron), Steelcase, Haworth, Knoll, etc; the Nintendo World store; off-broadway immersive theater like Sleep No More which was a much more memorable experience than any traditional play I've seen; and there's a location for The Void location-based VR experience you can do with several people at once together although they're currently moving locations and I'm not sure if they'll be back up and running by CanJam.
That nails it pretty good. There is a vr place next to Empire State Building that isn't bad... https://g.page/vrworldnyc?share

Jan 2, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #175 of 596
Near Times Square; W 44th St between 6th & 7th Ave.
You can always walk from TS towards 9th ave, then turn left downtown and there is a ton of places to eat heading towards 34th along 9th...

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #176 of 596
Jan 5, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #178 of 596
You should get a group together and then you can pay this time. You can then choose any place you like, then people can come tell you you are wrong for choosing it, even though you were being kind and offering a free meal.
Are you going to New York?

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #179 of 596
I need to keep an eye on the 15th-16th for any winter storms. The chances for snow in February grow every day and it's been relatively mild and quiet here in NYC for around one month.

Jan 6, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #180 of 596
We're pleased to announce DUNU as a Show Sponsor of CanJam NYC 2020!

Thanks for the add! Our China-based team is looking forward to their first time in the Big Apple --- so the US/international team is trying to make this as enjoyable as possible for them.

But the last time I was in New York was three years ago, so while I still remember a bit, it's not fresh in my mind --- if anyone has any good recommendations on food and drink, we're all ears! (Have also been reading the recommendations already put forth on here as well...) We're starting simple, with stuff like Joe's Pizza and Shake Shack.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back