CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #361 of 474
'Maybe it was just the show conditions, or maybe I was just in the right mood, but holy smoke these sounded really good to me on first listen. I've been wrong at shows before so don't take this as gospel, but I sure liked these Advanced planar magnetic cans.'

Read more at https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...lanar-magnetic-headphones#MoXvf1dSiRjQoC0v.99

Shoot, I missed that again. This is the same sentiment I had about the Sendy Audio Aiva planar magnetic headphone. Did you happen to listeb to that one to contrast the two for me?

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #362 of 474
He was quoting Tyll Hertsens.

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #363 of 474
Shoot, I missed that again. This is the same sentiment I had about the Sendy Audio Aiva planar magnetic headphone. Did you happen to listeb to that one to contrast the two for me?
The Aiva was pretty good performer to my ears. But it is very true that the show, the mindset and the mood would differentiate a lot of stuff. The only real way to analyze it would be to personally have it x_X , or anything for that matter

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #364 of 474
Feb 20, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #365 of 474
Kind of late, but here are some pictures from the event!

The "Bling Utopia" :) For that guy who has every other thing in the world, I guess...

UfMNOiNh.jpg

Solaris:

Xskz9kXh.jpg

Empyrean on the HA300 - a personal vocal favorite from the event. The HA300's 300b take is an interesting one - not as musical as a fully kitted out WA5, but stronger technically and isn't as hungry for expensive tubes.

NOC7Rvgh.jpg

Testing the HPA4/DAC3 stack with my own Mysphere 3.2's (hint: it's resolving).

Lsh8ySwh.jpg

Z1R's - the shell is really something to behold in person, quite a beautiful piece.

ay0sxWWh.jpg

Abyss 1266 Phi TC's with superconductors on the Formula S/Sagra stack.

1nHste8h.jpg

WA8/WA11 on a pair of Mysphere's.

oihonmph.jpg

Blown up DMP-Z1 at the Sony table. That's the fabled $2,000 volume pot and it feels like every single dollar.

m2yATqNh.jpg

Stellia. This was at the very end of day 1 and I fluffed the focus on this shot. I still don't like the look but it's a lot better in person.

r27t1x2h.jpg

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #366 of 474
What a fun weekend at CanJam NYC! Hope everyone had a blast and it was like being in a candy store with lots and lots of goodies! I wanted to share a couple amateur videos I shot at the event. Please excuse the quality (I shot everything on a gimbal) but the AMA was very informational and I wanted to share the footage with all of you. :film_frames: Looking forward to CanJam SoCal later this year! :smile_phones:

CanJam NYC 2019 AMA

Floor Walkthrough

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #367 of 474
What a fun weekend at CanJam NYC! Hope everyone had a blast and it was like being in a candy store with lots and lots of goodies! I wanted to share a couple amateur videos I shot at the event. Please excuse the quality (I shot everything on a gimbal) but the AMA was very informational and I wanted to share the footage with all of you. :film_frames: Looking forward to CanJam SoCal later this year! :smile_phones:

CanJam NYC 2019 AMA

Floor Walkthrough

Kind of surprised there wasn't a greater turnout for the AMA session. I mean, these are some of the biggest names in this hobby willing to answer any questions and there were less than 10 attendees.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #368 of 474
I got my shirt back today that I left hanging in my room at the hotel. They sent it 2nd day air for free, I expected they would charge me.

CanJam NYC 2019 AMA

Floor Walkthrough

Who was the handsome guy at the Noble booth? I love watching these video so I can tell my self, hey I saw that person.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #369 of 474
Kind of surprised there wasn't a greater turnout for the AMA session. I mean, these are some of the biggest names in this hobby willing to answer any questions and there were less than 10 attendees.

I agree. I know many of us Head-Fi members are unable to attend these CanJams that for me is literally on the other side of the country but have a desire to hear these seminars by some of the industry great.

I do wonder if Head-Fi would consider web-casting these seminars in the future. A simple laptop computer and a camera on a tripod, a mic and bingo. Very simple to do these days really.

But my point is that these seminars share some very insightful and useful information. And allowing the greater Head-Fi community the ability to share would be fantastic. These videos could be archived for future viewing. Just an idea.

Edit:
To clarify, I'm referring to the panels and discussions that industry leaders speak at during set times during the CanJam events.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #370 of 474

There were empty seats at the start, but more people trickled in during the session. And everyone that was there seemed pretty engaged with the discussion. :k701smile:

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #372 of 474
Cont'd.

I also heard the VOCE at Headamp booth and I must say that I much prefer these to the 009s. On the same setup, the 009s sound harsh and fatiguing while the VOCE sounds smooth and relaxing. The tonality is absolutely SPOT ON. No peaky treble, no nasty edges, just sit back, relax and let the VOCE immerse you in a world of music. Well done Dan, well done.

To be cont'd.

I like the VOCE a lot, but the 009 and 009S aren't fatiguing with the right DAC. The BHSE is wonderful, but I think they were using the Brooklyn Dac, which could be the reason for the fatigue.

I am running DAVE with the 009 it's not fatiguing at all.

Feb 20, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #373 of 474
Had a great time at NYC, was cool to see the differences from Shanghai. Special shout outs to:

Empire Ears, pleasure to see you guys and chat with as always and looking forward to the next time we meet!

Noble Audio, specifically watagump for the candy and for bringing the same enthusiasm as he brings to the forums. And for sharing that bass testing track with me rofl

ZMF for letting me sit there for like an hour to try eeeeverything. I still have no idea what I liked the most!

Fiio, had a great conversation about their products and got honest answers.

I ended up buying an effect audio origin cable and RHA trueconnect for my mom.

Pretty much got to try everything I wanted to try so overall very productive weekend. Highlights were Noble Katana, Empire's Phantom, 64 Fourte, QDC Anole VX for iems. Focal's Stellia was really nice despite not being my preferred sound, and I spent quite a bit of time at Beyer's booth as well. Benchmark systems had my favourite set up. Big thanks to everyone who made it happen!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #374 of 474
Had a great time at NYC, was cool to see the differences from Shanghai. Special shout outs to:

Empire Ears, pleasure to see you guys and chat with as always and looking forward to the next time we meet!

Noble Audio, specifically watagump for the candy and for bringing the same enthusiasm as he brings to the forums. And for sharing that bass testing track with me rofl

ZMF for letting me sit there for like an hour to try eeeeverything. I still have no idea what I liked the most!

Fiio, had a great conversation about their products and got honest answers.

I ended up buying an effect audio origin cable and RHA trueconnect for my mom.

Pretty much got to try everything I wanted to try so overall very productive weekend. Highlights were Noble Katana, Empire's Phantom, 64 Fourte, QDC Anole VX for iems. Focal's Stellia was really nice despite not being my preferred sound, and I spent quite a bit of time at Beyer's booth as well. Benchmark systems had my favourite set up. Big thanks to everyone who made it happen!

The bass track is just pure fun for anything you put on to try. I think only 3 to 4 people at most tried it during the show, but I will always have it with me along with even more fun bass tunes. Thanks for the kind words also, its just who I am, I want every person that comes to the booth to have the best experience I can provide. Plenty didn't even come to test anything or even grab some candy, but told me they love my posts, so that means a lot to me.

Feb 20, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #375 of 474
The bass track is just pure fun for anything you put on to try. I think only 3 to 4 people at most tried it during the show, but I will always have it with me along with even more fun bass tunes. Thanks for the kind words also, its just who I am, I want every person that comes to the booth to have the best experience I can provide. Plenty didn't even come to test anything or even grab some candy, but told me they love my posts, so that means a lot to me.

Great meeting you and thanks for the candy and insight on audio. Until the next show :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back