CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 20, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #376 of 474
Great meeting you and thanks for the candy and insight on audio. Until the next show :beerchug:

Same to you, thanks for taking some of the burden off of me in carrying more licorice home. :wink: Not sure if I will do Twizzlers at Axpona, good chance I will at Socal if they want me there.

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #377 of 474
The 820 leaked & isolated worse than the TH900 I've had.

I would definitely not call the 820 a fully closed back headphone.

Mm...I think the problem with the HD 820 is fitment (of the earpads). Every time I wear my 820, I have to make so many adjustments just to get it to sound right and try to achieve the ideal sound isolation/minimal sound leakage. The Fostex TH 900 is perfect for my head size (have the first gen and the MK II version = loads of fun with the DMP Z1; am tempted to add it). Round is still the perfect shape for closed-ba cks.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #378 of 474
There were empty seats at the start, but more people trickled in during the session. And everyone that was there seemed pretty engaged with the discussion. :k701smile:

Anyone from sound science in there? I imagine them trying to throw stones at Rob Watts after hearing his talk.

From all the good feedback It appears that the Empyrean is going to be a very popular TOTL headphone for many years to come.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #379 of 474
Speaking of isolation... I was -blasting- the Stellia (which were fantastic btw) with a friend standing next to me who has great hearing that is always busting my chops for how loud I blast the headphones... and he didn't hear leakage from the Stellia. Impressive.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #380 of 474
Same to you, thanks for taking some of the burden off of me in carrying more licorice home. :wink: Not sure if I will do Twizzlers at Axpona, good chance I will at Socal if they want me there.
So, how was the pizza?

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #382 of 474

I ate most of them after I got home.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #383 of 474
Feb 21, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #387 of 474

Wata, you are da man! Was nice chatting with you, and thanks for the sweets! The twizzlers you encouraged me to take home to kids - never reached their destination, but I really enjoyed them while sitting in 30min traffic trying to escape the Manhattan :D

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #388 of 474
Wata, you are da man! Was nice chatting with you, and thanks for the sweets! The twizzlers you encouraged me to take home to kids - never reached their destination, but I really enjoyed them while sitting in 30min traffic trying to escape the Manhattan :D

Glad you enjoyed them Alex, I hope to see you at more events.

Feb 21, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #389 of 474
It's nice to see Benchmark getting some shout outs here. Their DACs (not so much the amps) seem to get overlooked or aren't very popular here. I had to skip out on CanJam due to a last minute issue. Originally got a DAC3 to see if I'd prefer it over my Yggy2, but part of me is liking the idea of having one of the best Subjectively sounding DACs as well as a measuring marvel to switch back and forth between. Plus I need some kind of DAC for when Schiit releases upgrades!

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #390 of 474
It's nice to see Benchmark getting some shout outs here. Their DACs (not so much the amps) seem to get overlooked or aren't very popular here. I had to skip out on CanJam due to a last minute issue. Originally got a DAC3 to see if I'd prefer it over my Yggy2, but part of me is liking the idea of having one of the best Subjectively sounding DACs as well as a measuring marvel to switch back and forth between. Plus I need some kind of DAC for when Schiit releases upgrades!

The DAC3 B's sold out again, Micheal sent me a text about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back