CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #181 of 474
Alex Twister let me try out his DX200 Titanium. It. Was. Phenomenal.
I saw Twister and Jude yesterday and said Hi, but didn't hang out...

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #183 of 474
Day 2 Canjam quick thoughts:

- Woo WA11 (again). I bit the bullet and bought one of the showroom units. The DAC is relatively mediocre but ultimately, I appreciate the fact that there is one, and the amp section is one of the best portable options available (arguably behind only the larger, heavier Mass Kobo 404 and the Xi Broadway). A relatively big bummer is the messiness of the USB-C port compliances (incompatible with some cables for charging, other cables for data). I was more upset about this a couple hours ago, but when it comes to USB-C and audio equipment development cycles, I can understand the choices Jack needed to make to make the product happen. Samsung and Huawei are not that much better in this regard.

- Ether 2 I had relatively limited time on those as there was a constant line, but they seem to sound very much like the Ether flow, but a bit more resolving with a bit better bass extension. Soundstage isn't going to be fighting the Abyss or the LCD4 but they are neutral, clean and extremely comfortable to wear. I do very much want to try these on my own system in the future .

- Campfire Solaris GOOD, but way too big. Sound-wise hits all the right notes for pop and light rock music. When you deep insert them the imaging and resolution punches well above its price point, but performance takes a major hit when you don't get them in deep enough, and the size of the shells is both extremely large and not that agreeable with my ears. I have abnormally large ear canals (Ken says that my CIEM's are the biggest he's ever seen) and even for someone like me, trying to get those all the way in is a fight. CA badly needs a CIEM version of the Solaris. No buy for me, but I want it to work.

- Sony IER-Z1R Not great. Far, far too much bass, indecisive imaging, weird midrange to bass transition, a major step down in terms of soundstage from my Just Ear MH2's. They are comfortable and a little more resolving than the MH2 though. I did have a nice chat with the Japanese DMP Z1 development guy there about the Just Ear line, and he dearly loves his MH1's which is a dream IEM of mine. Hard pass.

- Benchmark HPA4 Entirely neutral, borderline strong enough for the Mysphere 3.2, drives the Diana Phi with aplomb. Resolution easily trades punches with amps twice its price, but the completely lack of treble rolloff or exaggeration may be a letdown to many. It's a hard sell in the audiophile community, but Benchmark has a point about strong resolution and the development of digital EQ options. Interesting stuff with some promise.

- qdc Anole VX qdc's tuning profile has always been rather conservative and it shows here as well. The VX is resolving, non-fatiguing, lean, with a "good enough" soundstage and rather BA-flavored bass. Not the most exciting thing on the showroom floor but the design is technically quite strong. Not a huge fan of the sound switches and I consistently preferred them in the "default" setting. Prices are a bit high stateside. Arguably the best option for a high-performance, neutral-relaxed IEM for Chinese pricing. Their universals are relatively small and have impeccable comfort, a big plus in my books.

- Tia Trio It's as if the Tia Fourte grew up to be a more reliable but less interesting person. Doesn't have the Tia's (for IEMs) massive soundstage, bass is weaker (relatively), treble doesn't push as far, but the midrange isn't as sunken, and ultimately I think those who like the Fourte for how special it is won't like the Trio. But overall a very listenable, easy-to-wear and coherent IEM.

- UM Maven This might be the single weirdest thing I've tried at Canjam. Bass is nothing to write home about, reasonably fast and clean mids, an intense amount of treble energy that UM tried to control with a sibilance-cancelling eleventh BA driver. The drivers does seem to cancel out a lot of the treble frequencies and hearing the treble "ceiling out" on an IEM was a peculiar experience. I like the idea of a strong treble-oriented TOTL in-ear design, but the execution here is a bit too inconsistent.

- Noble Khan (again) In the context of the Solaris and Anole VX, the Khan is pretty energetic and upon closer listening, the piezoelectric driver's weirdness is fairly apparent and it's a problem that the Solaris is completely free from. I still like them, but if comfort were no object I would go with the Solaris. The Khan is much easier to wear and it is slightly stronger resolution wise, although the difference isn't huge.

Day 1 impressions here (mostly big cans)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-nyc-2019-impressions-thread.900214/page-8#post-14784449

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #184 of 474
Day 2 Canjam quick thoughts:

- Woo WA11 (again). I bit the bullet and bought one of the showroom units. The DAC is relatively mediocre but ultimately, I appreciate the fact that there is one, and the amp section is arguably one of the best portable options available (arguably behind only the larger, heavier Mass Kobo 404 and the Xi Broadway). A relatively big bummer is the messiness of the USB-C port compliances (incompatible with some cables for charging, other cables for data). I was more upset about this a couple hours ago, but when it comes to USB-C and audio equipment development cycles, I can understand the choices Jack needed to make to make the product happen. Samsung and Huawei are not that much better in this regard.

- Ether 2 I had relatively limited time on those as there was a constant line, but they seem to sound very much like the Ether flow, but a bit more resolving with a bit better bass extension. Soundstage isn't going to be fighting the Abyss or the LCD4 but they are neutral, clean and extremely comfortable to wear. I do very much want to try these on my own system in the future .

- Campfire Solaris GOOD, but way too big. Sound-wise hits all the right notes for pop and light rock music. When you deep insert them the imaging and resolution punches well above its price point, but performance takes a major hit when you don't get them in deep enough, and the size of the shells is both extremely large and not that agreeable with my ears. I have abnormally large ear canals (Ken says that my CIEM's are the biggest he's ever seen) and even for someone like me, trying to get those all the way in is a fight. CA badly needs a CIEM version of the Solaris. No buy for me, but I want it to work.

- Sony IER-Z1R Not great. Far, far too much bass, indecisive imaging, weird midrange to bass transition, a major step down in terms of soundstage from my Just Ear MH2's. They are comfortable and a little more resolving than the MH2 though. I did have a nice chat with the Japanese DMP Z1 development guy there about the Just Ear line, and he dearly loves his MH1's which is a dream IEM of mine. Hard pass.

- Benchmark HPA4 Entirely neutral, borderline strong enough for the Mysphere 3.2, drives the Diana Phi with aplomb. Resolution easily trades punches with amps twice its price, but the completely lack of treble rolloff or exaggeration may be a letdown to many. It's a hard sell in the audiophile community, but Benchmark has a point about strong resolution and the development of digital EQ options. Interesting stuff with some promise.

- qdc Anole VX qdc's tuning profile has always been rather conservative and it shows here as well. The VX is resolving, non-fatiguing, lean, with a "good enough" soundstage and rather BA-flavored bass. Not the most exciting thing on the showroom floor but the design is technically quite strong. Not a huge fan of the sound switches and I consistently preferred them in the "default" setting. Prices are a bit high stateside. Arguably the best option for a high-performance, neutral-relaxed IEM for Chinese pricing. Their universals are relatively small and have impeccable comfort, a big plus in my books.

- Tia Trio It's as if the Tia Fourte grew up to be a more reliable but less interesting person. Doesn't have the Tia's (for IEMs) massive soundstage, bass is weaker (relatively), treble doesn't push as far, but the midrange isn't as sunken, and ultimately I think those who like the Fourte for how special it is won't like the Trio. But overall a very listenable, easy-to-wear and coherent IEM.

- UM Maven This might be the single weirdest thing I've tried at Canjam. Bass is nothing to write home about, reasonably fast and clean mids, an intense amount of treble energy that UM tried to control with a sibilance-cancelling eleventh BA driver. The drivers does seem to cancel out a lot of the treble frequencies and hearing the treble "ceiling out" on an IEM was a peculiar experience. I like the idea of a strong treble-oriented TOTL in-ear design, but the execution here is a bit too inconsistent.

- Noble Khan (again) In the context of the Solaris and Anole VX, the Khan is pretty energetic and upon closer listening, the piezoelectric driver's weirdness is fairly apparent and it's a problem that the Solaris is completely free from. I still like them, but if comfort were no object I would go with the Solaris. The Khan is much easier to wear and it is slightly stronger resolution wise, although the difference isn't huge.

Day 1 impressions here (mostly big cans)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-nyc-2019-impressions-thread.900214/page-8#post-14784449
I complained to Ken about the 'thickness' of the Solaris sound, and he gave me some silicone tips: Man, they really came alive!

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #185 of 474
I complained to Ken about the 'thickness' of the Solaris sound, and he gave me some silicone tips: Man, they really came alive!

I tried a bunch of tips. The comply's cut out too much treble but the fit was slightly better. The silicon sounded good though.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #186 of 474
Hello fellow head-fiers Just wanted to say this was my first canjam and I was very impressed with everything. I was the guy walking around with the "A State of Trance" shirt :). Got to try out $2000-$4000 IEM's and headphones even though I can't afford them (well can, but won't).

I was even happier today when 64audio called me and informed me that I was the winner of they're Tia Trio IEM's. I was shocked and extremely happy, I'm going to be enjoying these IEM's, thanks again 64audio best CanJam yet. Definitely looking forward for the next one.

Congrats!!!

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #187 of 474
I can only echo everyone‘s good impressions of the Campfire Solrais. Amazing IEM. Probably the one that has come closest to sounding like my full size headphones at home.

But the one I ended up taking home was the Meze Rai Penta. Amazing sound for the size and price. Just the right amount of kick in the bass and separation across the full spectrum. Added benefit: it works for side sleepers. The shell doesn’t protrude much from your ears and you can lay down with them. Perfect for travel.
(Thanks, Jim, for reminding me of this little detail during our hallway chat!)

Also impressed by effect audio. The cables were amazing, the team at the booth was great. I ended up picking up a new cable for my existing JH Audio 16v2s — so much more soundstage and sparkle in the highs...

Overall once again a great CanJam.

Great chatting with you as well on the Solaris / Meze Rai Penta comparison. As I was looking for a high-end IEM for home use, I bought the Solaris. I also checked out Westone, specifically the UM50 for a potential use during travel and sleeping on the plane. Plan to do a more thorough comparison at a future CanJam.

I put my thoughts on the Solaris vs. Penta over in the Meze Rai Penta thread.

Looking forward to your take on the Penta.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #188 of 474
What are your thoughts on the gs-x mini??
Looks stunning but not able to compare it to any other amp. Seemed to drive both the HEKse and the Susvara well. I personally will wait for reviews before considering a purchase with the Susvara. Personally, I am looking for the most transparent amp to interface with CHORD DAVE. I was confused about the claim that a single ended source like the DAVE could result in balanced output from the GSX-mini. There are many amps in this general price range including: Violectric V281, Auralic Taurus MKII, Pro iCan, Phonitor 2, Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, Wells Audio Milo, Audio-GD Master 9 and others, Soundaware P1 and others. Difficult choices.....

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #190 of 474
Looks stunning but not able to compare it to any other amp. Seemed to drive both the HEKse and the Susvara well. I personally will wait for reviews before considering a purchase with the Susvara. Petsonally, I am looking for the most transparent amp to interface with CHORD DAVE. I was confused about the claim that a single ended source like the DAVE could result in balanced output from the GSX-mini. There are many amps in this general price range including: Violectric V281, Auralic Taurus MKII, Pro iCan, Phonitor 2, Mjolnir Audio Pure BiPolar, Wells Audio Milo, Audio-GD Master 9 and others, Soundaware P1 and others. Difficult choices.....
Soundaware p1 such a great, underrated ss amp my favorite amp under 2k so far(i haven't ventured higher from a SS standpoint).

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #194 of 474
I just got back from CanJam a couple hours ago and had a great time. Last year was the first time I attended, and being in the NYC area, I knew I would make it back.

The best thing I heard, which completely blew me away, was Th Abyss Phi TC with the WA33. This was in the Woo room, and was connected to some type of Sony Streamer DAC. Admittedly I never heard the Abyss before, so it was a bit of a double whammy hearing the newest incarnation, but it's such a unique, big presentation - which sounded right tonally - I loved it.

I also really enjoyed the Meze Empyrian. I listened from the Dave, a Schiit Lyr and the Holo stack in the Meze room. I felt it was actually best from the Lyr - it seemed the most euphoric and out of your head - with the Dave a close second (with the leather pads). Did not like the Holo stack with it as it appeared a bit closed in.

I also rediscovered the Utopia. I had previously had a home demo, before I got a Dave, with my V281 and Vega and never fell for it. Listening direct to Dave gave me a new appreciation for what all the fuss was about.

I was impressed my the m-scaler > Dave - and listened with a number of headphones. Difference was subtle, but definitely there. It increased the detail and soundstage further - from what I could glean in a short demo. It's really hard to tell the difference between DAC/DAC upgrades at a show - and I'm curious what it would sound like with my 009s.

The thing I love about CanJam is not only that you can listen to so much new gear, but that you have the opportunity to mix and match quite a bit.

I was mainly looking for my next headphone to pick up. I keep trying to find something to complement my Stax 009 and LCD 4 that I can plug directly into the Dave - so was especially interested in the Meze.

All that being said, I think I'm going to go for an Abyss Phi TC, pair it with my v281 and Dave - and go from there. It's just such a unique sound.

Special shout out to the headamp guys, who were just awesome. Good people. I almost bought a BHSE on the spot too. As I already have a Carbon (and not really room for the BHSE yet), I held off.

I came in trying to see if I wanted:
A Meze Empyrian
A HE1000SE
An M-Scaler

Meze was great, but I feel like it's a bit too similar to my LCD 4 - which is high praise. The HE1k is a bit too forward for me. The M-Scaler definitely made a meaningful improvement, but it's an expensive upgrade for the moment.

I left thinking I'm gonna pick up the new Abyss. Most bang fro my buck (I know that sounds crazy given the cost - but it's the most meaningful counterpoint to my other headphones). So amazing to be able to try so many different headphones and gear first hand and decide what really strikes a nerve.

Cheers to head-fi, Jude, and all the exhibitors that participated for putting on a great show for us headphone crazies! Really one of the rare times I feel like a kid again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back