CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #166 of 474
I would like to hear some impressions of the Jomo Trinity models..
Sounded like crap. Seriously, it was a mess... Not a coherent presentation at all. I used my sp1000M as source.

Hello fellow head-fiers Just wanted to say this was my first canjam and I was very impressed with everything. I was the guy walking around with the "A State of Trance" shirt :). Got to try out $2000-$4000 IEM's and headphones even though I can't afford them (well can, but won't).

I was even happier today when 64audio called me and informed me that I was the winner of they're Tia Trio IEM's. I was shocked and extremely happy, I'm going to be enjoying these IEM's, thanks again 64audio best CanJam yet. Definitely looking forward for the next one.
WOW! Good for you! Yesterday I was on the subway at 34th street going home when I got a text by Beyerdynamic that I won the Aventho wireless headphones! I turned around and went back, They really sound great!

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #167 of 474
Quick thoughts:
JOMO

Jomo Trinity - they were ok
Jomo Fleminco - these were super in your face and i liked that. They may have been a little harsh or off but they were nice. Can't justify price.
Tried another Jomo. It was decent.

64 AUDIO

Trio was ok.
The fourte are awesome but cant justify the price. The 18t and 12t were close with the 18s being more airy and in your face.
12t a little more laid back. Cant justify price on either, as well.

BEYER

Enjoyed the beyer ANCs.

WESTONE

Westone w60s were nice. Balanced sound. Little dark.

EFFECT

Tried effect Ares 2 and Thor Silver. Liked em both. Both brought soundstage closer to my ears. Will demo both and either sell one or the other, most likely.

FOCAL

Focal Stellia was nice but didnt blow me away.

ADVANCED

4BA 1DD - nice but little bass. They are changing config so should be interesting.

Their new 700 buck iem was simiar to the M5 1DD. Little bigger soundstage

Ordered custom concert ear plugs and sent one of my custom pieces to be reshelled.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #168 of 474
I can only echo everyone‘s good impressions of the Campfire Solrais. Amazing IEM. Probably the one that has come closest to sounding like my full size headphones at home.

But the one I ended up taking home was the Meze Rai Penta. Amazing sound for the size and price. Just the right amount of kick in the bass and separation across the full spectrum. Added benefit: it works for side sleepers. The shell doesn’t protrude much from your ears and you can lay down with them. Perfect for travel.
(Thanks, @NovaFlyer, for reminding me of this little detail during our hallway chat!)

Also impressed by effect audio. The cables were amazing, the team at the booth was great. I ended up picking up a new cable for my existing JH Audio 16v2s — so much more soundstage and sparkle in the highs...

Overall once again a great CanJam.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #170 of 474
Quick thoughts:
JOMO

Jomo Trinity - they were ok
Jomo Fleminco - these were super in your face and i liked that. They may have been a little harsh or off but they were nice. Can't justify price.
Tried another Jomo. It was decent.

64 AUDIO

Trio was ok.
The fourte are awesome but cant justify the price. The 18t and 12t were close with the 18s being more airy and in your face.
12t a little more laid back. Cant justify price on either, as well.

BEYER

Enjoyed the beyer ANCs.

WESTONE

Westone w60s were nice. Balanced sound. Little dark.

EFFECT

Tried effect Ares 2 and Thor Silver. Liked em both. Both brought soundstage closer to my ears. Will demo both and either sell one or the other, most likely.

FOCAL

Focal Stellia was nice but didnt blow me away.

ADVANCED

4BA 1DD - nice but little bass. They are changing config so should be interesting.

Their new 700 buck iem was simiar to the M5 1DD. Little bigger soundstage

Ordered custom concert ear plugs and sent one of my custom pieces to be reshelled.

I agree with Jomo: Trinity was disappointment.
64 Audio was disappointing: everything sounded so bright!
Beyer: Liked the T1, but a bit too bright for me. Won Aventhos, and very surprised at how great they sound!
Disappointed by Westone, dark indeed...
Effect was the best booth for me!!! Settled on Eros II+ for both my earphones, made them sound like major upgrade!!
Focal Clear is best for me; the Stellia was not an improvement, and their flagship $4K jobby left me a little cold.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #172 of 474
I can only echo everyone‘s good impressions of the Campfire Solrais. Amazing IEM. Probably the one that has come closest to sounding like my full size headphones at home.

But the one I ended up taking home was the Meze Rai Penta. Amazing sound for the size and price. Just the right amount of kick in the bass and separation across the full spectrum. Added benefit: it works for side sleepers. The shell doesn’t protrude much from your ears and you can lay down with them. Perfect for travel.
(Thanks, Jim, for reminding me of this little detail during our hallway chat!)

Also impressed by effect audio. The cables were amazing, the team at the booth was great. I ended up picking up a new cable for my existing JH Audio 16v2s — so much more soundstage and sparkle in the highs...

Overall once again a great CanJam.
Yes, agree. Effect Audio was best booth for me in whole show, buying the Eros II+ for my IEM's, sounds like major upgrade!
Spoke to Ken at the Campfire Audio both, I am an enthusiastic owner of the AndromedaSS. I expressed my dissapointment in the Solaris, and Ken asked what tips I used. My complaint was that the sound was too thick. He suggested I use the silicones over the foams, and man, the Solaris really opened up! They sounded great!

Any impression about Meze Rai Penta is greatley appreciated.
I went to their room, and everything I listened to sounded amazing! Can't go wrong with any of those...

[merged]

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #173 of 474
Headamp - GSX-Mini impression please
+1 literally someone please.

Compared STAX on Blue Hawaii amp to both Hifiman HEKse and Susvara on the new HeadAmp GSX-mini. I found the sub base on the SR009 to be boomy and not controlled distracting from the crystal clear upper range of the STAX. This V configuration just wasn’t for me even though the treble is the best I ever heard. The Susvara came very close in treble detail and extension without sibilence but much more integrated across all frequencies and the bass is almost palpable when really in the recording. Bass is better controlled and less boomy. The Susvara is smooth as butter with great mids but doesn’t have the same 3D space around vocals and instruments as the HEKse which is similar to the Susvara but a bit less laid back and dynamic with a huge sound space only bested by the SENN HD800S that I wanted to pick up with the 10% off list price but forgot. The HD 800S is a fun headphone but not an all rounder TOTL can.

In the end, I am waiting for my HMS/DAVE combo to try with the HEKse. This may just be enough for me. I like the dynamics of the HEKse, bass response and larger sound space but the treble extension on the Susvara makes the STAX less appealing now. So if I need an amp with the Susvara, the overall package is less expensive than the STAX combo (depending on a wider range of amp selections). I also think replacing the stock cables could add more performance to both.

I didn’t like the Abyss PHI since I am not a bass aficionado and like the seamless flow of all frequencies better integrated with the Hifiman offering. I also didn’t think the sound space was bigger than the HEKse as others have implicated. Neither form factor for either PHI or Diana appealed to me and the Hifimans were more comfortable.

The Focal Utopias are still impressive for clear detail retrieval and up close vocals but very close in and fatiguing for long listening sessions, unlike HIFIMAN.

I really tried to enjoy the new Empyrean cans and respect the engineering but they seemed slightly veiled compared to the HEKse and more closed in. The plastic headband seemed a bit flimsy but they were comfortable and the detachable pads are a very nice option.

I compared some of the IEM cables at Effect Audio and bought a Lionheart as I couldn’t justify spending more on a cable. This one was more balance with less sibilence and excellent detail retrieval compared to the Whiplash silver coated copper stock cable that came with my EE Zeus XR Adel. Jack told me they are no longer offering the Adel option. That is disappointing since I have yet to hear an IEM that had as wide open a sound stage as the XR Adel at the expense of loss of isolation. I bought the solid plugs for noisy places when needed. I wanted to compare the Zeus with the Da Vinci X but didn’t see them there.
What are your thoughts on the gs-x mini??

[merged]

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #174 of 474
I believe that was me. Nice listening with you. I went over to listen at Hifiman after we talked. I was pretty blown away by the sound from that setup too. I was less blown away by my experience at the Hifiman booth. I understand they were busy but overall I was pretty underwhelmed by my experience at their table and it was not the headphones. I had a great listening experience at Audeze, Redscape, Mr Speakers, Rupert Neve, Cayin and many others. Hope everyone going has a great time.
Hell yeah. Brother!

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #175 of 474
Had a good time yesterday. I’m really surprised how low the turnout was, the event looked half as crowded than last year. Hope today was more bumpin. Seemed like fewer exhibitors as well but just could be because there was so few crowds around.

Woo room as usual had some amazing setups. Mike is the man, love talking to that guy (support his YouTube he does a great job). Very impressed with the WA8/utopia pairing. The ultimate bedside imo.

Couldn’t really get a clear sound profile but the head amp gsx mini looked freaking awesome. I want one in blue just to gawk at. Voce is the much much better option to the stax imo.

I’ll tell you what, only thing that actually blew me away were the yet to be release Beyerdynamic ANC wireless headphones. On a different level than Bose/Sony offerings. Will be a must buy when they release in a few months.

Thanks to all the people that make this a great event year after year.

glad to read this. I have had my eye on those beyerdynamic ANC cans as well

called the Lagoon if I remember right

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #176 of 474
Any impression about Meze Rai Penta is greatley appreciated.

I find them to be warm but not soft or muffled, if that makes sense? Full-bodied but not heavy and dark. For info, I’m using them with silicone tips, and currently driven off a Mojo. And for comparison, my references are my DT-1990 (the Rai Penta are obviously a bit less airy than those) and my JH Audio 16v2s (the Rai Penta sound brighter, which I appreciate). Test tracks are e.g. Mark Knopfler‘s 5:15am

One thing that matters to me is how well they deal with speedy bass drums (I listen to a lot of death metal) and I’m often surprised by how badly many high-priced headphones and IEMs perform on that. These have superb kick and differentiation. (Example track: Tarot by Aether Realm)

Hope this helps a little?

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:37 PM Post #177 of 474
Disappointing IBasso and Shure didn't have a booth. (And where the heck was Grado???).

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #179 of 474

Users who are viewing this thread

Back