CanJam NYC 2017 (February 4-5, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #511 of 1,071
Jan 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #513 of 1,071
  Smyth Research will be demoing their Realiser A16: real 3D headphone processor at CanJam NYC and have created a sign up form to register for a demo. This demo was one of the highlights at CanJam London 2016 and spaces are limited so register now: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090848a8af22a3f49-realiser

Here is a clip of the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBh55nasxw

I am booked for Sat at 2pm to get demo & kickstarter backer measurements

Jan 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #514 of 1,071
I'm in for Sunday @3pm. 2 more slots after me then that's it; just general demoing before noon and after 4pm.

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #515 of 1,071
All full (someone signed in seconds before me for the last spots) :mad:

Jan 12, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #516 of 1,071
Smyth Research will be demoing their Realiser A16: real 3D headphone processor at CanJam NYC and have created a sign up form to register for a demo. This demo was one of the highlights at CanJam London 2016 and spaces are limited so register now: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090848a8af22a3f49-realiser

Here is a clip of the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBh55nasxw

Does the realiser 16 replace a DAC or amp or is it in addition to those? Also does it work well with any headphone or certain types?

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #518 of 1,071
Just purchased tickets. Have no idea what to expect really, but am super excited to demo everything as I'm still fairly new to this hobby.
You and me both. First for me. But since this quickly grew into something I really started to love, It sounds like the ultimate getaway to see and hear all the stuff I only read about. Psyched.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #519 of 1,071
You and me both. First for me. But since this quickly grew into something I really started to love, It sounds like the ultimate getaway to see and hear all the stuff I only read about. Psyched.

A few tricks for you that might help you take it all in for your first show. Start off by doing a walk around the whole floor, seeing what is there and thinking about what you really want to see and where you really want to spend some time. If you just jump right in and start demoing stuff at the first table you come to I've seen people not get to the stuff they really wanted to see. Also I'm not sure what the layout of the show is going to be since this is the first time at the Marriott Marquis so also make sure there are not separate rooms that you might risk not seeing. At one CanJam they had a room kind of off by itself and I didn't notice it until right when I had to leave. Also be ready to go back and listen to the stuff you like a few times. Once is often not enough. 

Similarly if there are people you want to meet, keep an eye out and maybe even make a list. Sounds geeky (no geeks here!) but you can be standing right next to someone and not realize that they're the prolific HF member or professional reviewer (or both). Most people put their HF names on their badges, but they can be hard to see. You can always ask the people at the booths to help point some of us out, or you can always ask the HF crew - Jude/Joe/Amos/etc. Warren is now at Cavalli, but he also knows almost all (if not all) of the old-dogs. Same with key vendors such as Dan at Mr. Speakers, Ken at ALO, Jason at Schiit, Drew at Moon, Alex at Cavalli, etc. 

And since we're on the subject of show best practices, here's a few other pointers:
- If an IEM sounds like complete crap, check to see if you're getting a good seal, and try swapping tips. 
- Ask before you unplug a pair of headphones and/or use your own - it's just good etiquette. Same for plugging/unplugging anything on a table. 95%+ of the time it won't be an issue, but be nice and ask permission. 
- Always turn the volume down when you leave a station. Some jerks leave it way up and you risk blowing your ears out when you start the music. 
- Per above, make sure you turn the volume down before you start a session just in case people do leave it high.
- Be nice and don't blast the volume too loud when you're listening, especially with open-back HP's.
- Don't hog a station when there are lots of people waiting. 
- If you come to a table that has a lot of people around, check to see if there's a line, as you might cut in inadvertently. 
- Don't place drinks or food on the display tables - one wrong spill could take out thousands of dollars of equipment. 
- Watch where you place your bags - I've seen people put them on the ground and then get up and walk away without them. 
- Don't be a policeman, but do keep an eye on the gear and people around you. Occasionally some idiot will steal something off a table when they think nobody's looking. This is a trusting community and let's keep it that way.
- If there is a SHAG (scavenger hunt) then be nice and actually give a listen to the gear of the vendors whose stamp you are asking for.
- Similarly, if you have time be sure to go and listen to the small name company you don't recognize. Many of these vendors travel from really far away from these shows, and there are often hidden gems to find. 
- Don't forget to eat! It's tempting to put off food due to all the goodies you want to see, but that risks leading to lots of "hangry" people. 

I'm sure I've missed a few things, but hopefully this is helpful. Cheers and see you in NYC!

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #520 of 1,071
Jan 13, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #521 of 1,071

A few tricks for you that might help you take it all in for your first show. Start off by doing a walk around the whole floor, seeing what is there and thinking about what you really want to see and where you really want to spend some time. If you just jump right in and start demoing stuff at the first table you come to I've seen people not get to the stuff they really wanted to see. Also I'm not sure what the layout of the show is going to be since this is the first time at the Marriott Marquis so also make sure there are not separate rooms that you might risk not seeing. At one CanJam they had a room kind of off by itself and I didn't notice it until right when I had to leave. Also be ready to go back and listen to the stuff you like a few times. Once is often not enough. 

Similarly if there are people you want to meet, keep an eye out and maybe even make a list. Sounds geeky (no geeks here!) but you can be standing right next to someone and not realize that they're the prolific HF member or professional reviewer (or both). Most people put their HF names on their badges, but they can be hard to see. You can always ask the people at the booths to help point some of us out, or you can always ask the HF crew - Jude/Joe/Amos/etc. Warren is now at Cavalli, but he also knows almost all (if not all) of the old-dogs. Same with key vendors such as Dan at Mr. Speakers, Ken at ALO, Jason at Schiit, Drew at Moon, Alex at Cavalli, etc. 

And since we're on the subject of show best practices, here's a few other pointers:
- If an IEM sounds like complete crap, check to see if you're getting a good seal, and try swapping tips. 
- Ask before you unplug a pair of headphones and/or use your own - it's just good etiquette. Same for plugging/unplugging anything on a table. 95%+ of the time it won't be an issue, but be nice and ask permission. 
- Always turn the volume down when you leave a station. Some jerks leave it way up and you risk blowing your ears out when you start the music. 
- Per above, make sure you turn the volume down before you start a session just in case people do leave it high.
- Be nice and don't blast the volume too loud when you're listening, especially with open-back HP's.
- If you come to a table that has a lot of people around, check to see if there's a line, as you might cut in inadvertently. 
- Don't place drinks or food on the display tables - one wrong spill could take out thousands of dollars of equipment. 
- Watch where you place your bags - I've seen people put them on the ground and then get up and walk away without them. 
- Don't be a policeman, but do keep an eye on the gear and people around you. Occasionally some idiot will steal something off a table when they think nobody's looking. This is a trusting community and let's keep it that way.
- If there is a SHAG (scavenger hunt) then be nice and actually give a listen to the gear of the vendors whose stamp you are asking for.
- Similarly, if you have time be sure to go and listen to the small name company you don't recognize. Many of these vendors travel from really far away from these shows, and there are often hidden gems to find. 
- Don't forget to eat! It's tempting to put off food due to all the goodies you want to see, but that risks leading to lots of "hangry" people. 

I'm sure I've missed a few things, but hopefully this is helpful. Cheers and see you in NYC!

Words to live by!
(Scavenger hunt?)
I've been to general audio shows and meets, but this is the first CanJam in the NY area since I've been a headphone fan. Looking forward to it!

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #522 of 1,071

This is great advice, thanks for the heads up.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #523 of 1,071
  @joe 
@third_eye 

Any SHaG at CanJam NYC? 

Cheers

We're not doing a SHaG at NYC; instead individual exhibitors will be doing their own Raffles, Promotions, and Show Specials. We'll be posting details on all of these prior to the event and will also be handing out a flyer at the Registration Desk with this info. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #524 of 1,071

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try and remember some name tags when i get to the big show. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #525 of 1,071
  Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try and remember some name tags when i get to the big show. 

I'll be helping out at the show bro so you'll find me, or I'll find you!

Steve from NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back