CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 17, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #586 of 707
Having said that it's nobody's business how a person spends their money.

True, but I’d like to see them be correctly identified in a genuine blind level matched study, kinda hard to do with iem’s though.

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #587 of 707
True, but I’d like to see them be correctly identified in a genuine blind level matched study, kinda hard to do with iem’s though.
High-end, out of bounds pricing is almost a form of marketing. It signals prestige and exclusivity. It's funny to see IEMs get here. Hand bags and watches have been here for years. I think what throws people off is IEMs are rooted in science and engineering. So we want some semblance of objectivity and fairness when it comes to pricing. But alas, IEMs deliver music (something intensely emotional) and they are something you wear (signals status and it's an object that can feel good on you). That matters to some people. Also, one man's $100 is another man's $1,000. That's why these markets exist.

I think what's great about the space is that there it's a wonderfully active market. What you get for $2,000 two years ago you can get for <$1,000 today (not the same product, but the same quality/experience). The competition is fierce and that's good for consumers/fans.

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #588 of 707
I think what's great about the space is that there it's a wonderfully active market. What you get for $2,000 two years ago you can get for <$1,000 today (not the same product, but the same quality/experience). The competition is fierce and that's good for consumers/fans.

True, good audio quality has never been so cheap, I happily use zero 2’s with 2 very slight peq tweaks, one Q3 peak of 2db @ 6khz and one Q2 dip of 2db @ 200khz but I’m still fine tuning one adjustment at a time then going over my tidal test tracks. I'd have loved this fidelity years ago, I had to settle for koss porta pro and my “Walkmans” of various brands in the mid 80’s, eventually worked my way up the chain till I bought a Sony WM-DC2 in late 80’s - I felt like I had finally reached nirvana at that point, parents thought I was absolutely barmy to spend all my birthday money and savings but I’ve always had a love for audio. Compared to my iriver h340/etymotic er4-p and Ray Samuels tomahawk in mid 2000’s I guess we have moved on a lot, for less outlay.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #589 of 707
Monarch 3 has my attention...
It was my favorite out of all the IEMs I tested at CanJam so bought one at the Linsoul booth. Listened to it all around NYC, on the plane, and at home every day since back. Love it!

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #590 of 707
Thinking back on the show now, I regret missing Susan Rogers at dCS... especially given my love of all things Eighties-related (including modern takes on the Eighties, like Synthwave). I would've asked, if you could only revive one of the following, what would it be?

A) Sax solos
B) Gated reverb
C) Orchestral stabs/hits
D) DX7/Juno everywhere!

:p
Hi,

Susan was indeed brilliant- but don't worry, we're preparing a write-up on her talk for our blog so you can catch a bit of it there!

dCS Stay updated on dCS at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/dCSonlythemusic/ https://twitter.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.instagram.com/dcsonlythemusic/ https://www.dcsaudio.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQf2YCUG5UfXwZapkuTwxLw info@dcsaudio.com
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #591 of 707
CanJam NYC IEM Impressions (Part 3):

1.jpeg
5.jpeg

Finally, I wanted to share the 3rd and final part of my IEM impressions from the CanJam weekend. I demoed all IEMs using iBasso 320MAX Ti and Azla Sedna Short tips.

Note: The showfloor is quite loud so its difficult to ascertain the finer nuances of an IEM. I tried my best to understand the general presentation and problem areas of each set.

Symphonium Titan Prototype (Under $1000 USD)

titan.jpeg

Photo courtesy of Symphonium from the Symphonium thread.

Many of the show surprises at CanJam NYC this year were IEMs in the sub-$1000 bracket, and the Symphonium Titan was one of them.

The Titan has a huge sub-bass and mid-bass with a nice vocal tone and decent dynamics. It has a fun and generally inoffensive tuning.

Some nitpicks are that the mid-bass has a tiny amount of bloat and that the resolution is just okay. Otherwise, it was an addictive and fun listen and a great addition to the Symphonium line-up.

I may consider getting one myself.

Elysian Pilgrim ($400 USD)

Another sub-$1000 standout. Sounds like a baby Annihilator with slightly more bass weight and tactility.

Neutral/neutral-bright with good resolution and dynamics. Generally safe tuning but I hear some shout/upper-mid to lower treble sharpness.

Great techs for its proposed price point. Should be very competitive when it releases.

Nightjar Duality (~$3000 USD)

3.jpeg

Enormous yet controlled and distortion-free bass with great tactility and decay. This is definitely bass-head levels of bass quantity.

Like its younger sibling Singularity, Duality has a wonderful timbre, note weight, and is tuned very well. A very satisfying set to listen to.

I think there was just a touch too much bass for me, and the resolution was just decent at its price point.

Otherwise, there's nothing on the IEM market that sounds like Duality. One of my show favorites. I'd highly recommend a listen.

Subtonic Storm ($6000 USD)

1 (1).jpeg

A week prior to the show, a good friend of mine loaned me their Subtonic Storm to demo. A big thank you to him for his generosity.

With Mira 4W cable:

Very dynamic and textured bass with great slam. Great resolution, likely the best, if not one of the top few on the market.

Large image with natural, bodied vocals. Very linear treble with no perceived peaks. I've heard over 50 IEMs and I'm fairly certain that this is the all-around most technical IEM I've heard so far.

Some nitpicks: The bass is great but could use some more "bounce" and the soundstage is good but could be even bigger. I also think some people may find the sound signature too dry or unexciting.

With Sovereign Symphony 8W + Mass-Kobo 475 amp:

12.jpeg

There are significant improvements to the soundstage, and the entire frequency is more warm-tilted and bottom-heavy.

I'm not sure which chain I prefer. I do appreciate the soundstage improvements and the generally more analogue sound but I might preferred the more balanced sound without the Mass-Kobo 465.

I'd love to try Storm again on just the Sovereign cable and without the MK465.

Dunu x Precogvision Mirai ($1100 USD)

As many in this hobby know, well-executed treble is somewhat of a rarity.

I can count on one hand the sets that I think do treble exceptionally well: Annihilator, AME Raven (not to be confused with EE Raven), Symphonium Helios + Helios SE. Mirai is one of them.

It has a wonderfully extended and articulate treble with a nice treble timbre and weight, especially on these "coffee" tips as recommended by Sam from the Headphones.com booth.

Mirai isn't just a treble set though. It has really clean and articulate bass, as well as a well-executed midrange tuning. Mirai's dynamics are good as well.

I think Mirai is an exceptional set. I'm just concerned Mirai may come off as a little too clean and slightly dry to some.

Ice Labs Prismatica + Prismatica Gold (~$900 to $1000 USD)

9.jpeg

8.jpeg

The Prismatica (top) has gained some popularity in the circles I run in, so I was excited to give it and its Gold edition (bottom) a demo.

Both the OG and Gold edition have healthy sub-bass and mid-bass quantities. I hear the OG has having a bit more mid-bass grunt and slightly more slam.

Both have a nice vocal tone and note weight, and a nice treble tone as well. I found the treble tuning largely unproblematic.

Both have good dynamics, average resolution (for the price), and a little fuzziness in the very initial stages of the transient attack.

I thought both Prismaticas were a fun, enjoyable listen. I can see people using it as an everyday carry type of IEM.

Letshuoer Cadenza 12 ($2300 USD)

The Cadenza 12 is an IEM that I think flies under the radar a bit. It's a set I think a lot of people would enjoy if they were to give it a demo.

The bass of the Cadenza 12 is really nicely bodied and very well-textured. It's very satisfying.

The Cadenza 12 as a whole has a nice note weight, so vocals sound full and natural. The midrange and treble tuning are very safely-tuned so I found no issues there.

Some nitpicks are that the resolution could be a bit better for its price range, and that the transient edges could use more definition.

Some might find the tuning a bit too safe. Otherwise, it's a superb set that does everything else well.

Letshuoer Prototype:

Letshuoer also had a prototype which I think is a different take/re-tune of the Cadenza 12.

It had all the strengths of the Cadenza 12 but sounded more W-shaped which gave it some of the excitement the Cadenza 12 was missing.

Soranik xMEMS Prototype (Rumored ~$2000 USD)

IMG_9283.jpg

I was able to listen to Soranik's xMEMS prototype during a private demo. I don't know much about xMEMS technology but this IEM in particular used an energizer the size of a smartphone.

The bass on the prototype was pretty good, with some nice mid-bass quantity and texturing. The vocals had a slightly ethereal quality to it that I enjoyed and reminded me of the quality on electrostatic drivers.

The treble also had a pleasant electrostatic-like quality to it. It was enjoyable but I thought the treble could use a little more energy.

I was really grateful for this demo. It gave me a glimpse into what xMEMS technology can do and I'd be very interested to see more xMEMS IEMs in the market.

Fatfreq Grand Maestro ($3000 USD)

For the GM demo, I used the blue Noah module with the vocal switch both on and off.

GM has a huge, well-articulated sub-bass. The bass is sub-bass focused. I thought the vocals and treble were mostly fine, if unspectacular. Especially for a $3k set.

As expected, the vocals were pushed forward when flipping the vocal switch on. It was a little too forward for me so I preferred leaving the switch off.

I think GM is an okay set overall but I think it's technicalities could be better for its price point.

qdc 8PRO ($1500)

10.jpeg

The 8PRO has a 3-way switch, H/S/L which stands for HiFi, Studio, and Live.

I tried the S and L switches.

S switch:

Nice sub-bass quantity, could use a touch more mid-bass.

Good resolution and great staging. Very good dynamics with a well-defined transient attack. Nice treble presence, and a good sounding treble overall.

Vocals have a nice note weight but sound a touch cold. The 8PRO is very technical, among the best in its class.

L switch:

The L switch kicks up the bass quantity. Huge sub-bass and a large mid-bass which has some bloat. Possibly some male vocal bloom. Techs are the same, and everything above the lower-mids sound about the same.

Overall, I feel as though the 8PRO, while very technical, lacks some emotion. It checks all the boxes for the things I index for and yet it's not a set I'd reach for personally.

Eletech Prototype (Rumored ~$3k USD)

6.jpeg

Apparently there were two Eletech prototypes at CanJam, a Romeo, and a Juliet.

I'm not sure which one I heard but the photo is above, and here's what I heard:

Decent sub-bass quantity but could use more sub-bass and mid-bass. Nice vocal tone, slightly ethereal. Nice treble timbre as well. Decent transient attack, with okay dynamics and decent resolution.

I thought it was a decent set overall but I'm not convinced it's $3k good.

MusicTeck Leo's Prototype (Rumored $1.5k to $2k)

1 (2).jpeg

Nice sub-bass/mid-bass quantity and weight with a sub-bass tilt.

Very resolving set overall with a balanced vocal placement (neither recessed nor too forward). Nice transient attack with a hint of lower treble sharpness that toes the line. Good dynamics and a slightly colder timbre.

I think Leo's prototype did a lot of things well and shows promise. It kind of sounds like his open-back headphone prototype I heard a few months back.

I'm excited to hear more refinements to the prototype down the line.

Last but not least:

InTime Miyabi MKII ($230)

7.jpeg

Chang brought over a bunch of IEMs that are difficult to find in the West, including the InTime Miyabi MKII.

The Miyabi MKII has a nice lush timbre with a pleasant thickness to notes, and a tuning without any problem areas. It's obviously priced as an entry level set and its techs reflect that, however it's a very pleasant and non-fussy set.

It was my only purchase during the CanJam weekend and I intend to use it during travel and on-the-go situations. Thanks to Chang for the demo!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #592 of 707
I loved Nightjar Duality but $3000:triportsad:
I had hoped for $2K

Mar 18, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #593 of 707
I loved Nightjar Duality but $3000:triportsad:
I had hoped for $2K
I'm sure some sets will hit Classifieds before the end of the year as with any set. You can probably find one closer to the $2k mark before too long.

Mar 18, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #594 of 707
CanJam NYC IEM Impressions (Part 3):

1.jpeg5.jpeg

Finally, I wanted to share the 3rd and final part of my IEM impressions from the CanJam weekend. I demoed all IEMs using iBasso 320MAX Ti and Azla Sedna Short tips.

Note: The showfloor is quite loud so its difficult to ascertain the finer nuances of an IEM. I tried my best to understand the general presentation and problem areas of each set.

Symphonium Titan Prototype (Under $1000 USD)

titan.jpeg
Photo courtesy of Symphonium from the Symphonium thread.

Many of the show surprises at CanJam NYC this year were IEMs in the sub-$1000 bracket, and the Symphonium Titan was one of them.

The Titan has a huge sub-bass and mid-bass with a nice vocal tone and decent dynamics. It has a fun and generally inoffensive tuning.

Some nitpicks are that the mid-bass has a tiny amount of bloat and that the resolution is just okay. Otherwise, it was an addictive and fun listen and a great addition to the Symphonium line-up.

I may consider getting one myself.

Elysian Pilgrim ($400 to $500 USD)

Another sub-$1000 standout. Sounds like a baby Annihilator with slightly more bass weight and tactility.

Neutral/neutral-bright with good resolution and dynamics. Generally safe tuning but I hear some shout/upper-mid to lower treble sharpness.
Great techs for its proposed price point. Should be very competitive when it releases.

Nightjar Duality (~$3000 USD)

3.jpeg

Enormous yet controlled and distortion-free bass with great tactility and decay. This is definitely bass-head levels of bass quantity.

Like its younger sibling Singularity, Duality has a wonderful timbre, note weight, and is tuned very well. A very satisfying set to listen to.

I think there was just a touch too much bass for me, and the resolution was just decent at its price point.

Otherwise, there's nothing on the IEM market that sounds like Duality. One of my show favorites. I'd highly recommend a listen.

Subtonic Storm ($6000 USD)

1 (1).jpeg

A week prior to the show, a good friend of mine loaned me their Subtonic Storm to demo. A big thank you to him for his generosity.

With Mira 4W cable:

Very dynamic and textured bass with great slam. Great resolution, likely the best, if not one of the top few on the market.

Large image with natural, bodied vocals. Very linear treble with no perceived peaks. I've heard over 50 IEMs and I'm fairly certain that this is the all-around most technical IEM I've heard so far.

Some nitpicks: The bass is great but could use some more "bounce" and the soundstage is good but could be even bigger. I also think some people may find the sound signature too dry or unexciting.

With Sovereign Symphony 8W + Mass-Kobo 475 amp:

12.jpeg

There are significant improvements to the soundstage, and the entire frequency is more warm-tilted and bottom-heavy.

I'm not sure which chain I prefer. I do appreciate the soundstage improvements and the generally more analogue sound but I might preferred the more balanced sound without the Mass-Kobo 465.

I'd love to try Storm again on just the Sovereign cable and without the MK465.

Dunu x Precogvision Mirai ($1100 USD)

As many in this hobby know, well-executed treble is somewhat of a rarity.

I can count on one hand the sets that I think do treble exceptionally well: Annihilator, AME Raven (not to be confused with EE Raven), Symphonium Helios + Helios SE. Mirai is one of them.

It has a wonderfully extended and articulate treble with a nice treble timbre and weight, especially on these "coffee" tips as recommended by Sam from the Headphones.com booth.

Mirai isn't just a treble set though. It has really clean and articulate bass, as well as a well-executed midrange tuning. Mirai's dynamics are good as well.

I think Mirai is an exceptional set. I'm just concerned Mirai may come off as a little too clean and slightly dry to some.

Ice Labs Prismatica + Prismatica Gold (~$900 to $1000 USD)

9.jpeg
8.jpeg

The Prismatica (top) has gained some popularity in the circles I run in, so I was excited to give it and its Gold edition (bottom) a demo.

Both the OG and Gold edition have healthy sub-bass and mid-bass quantities. I hear the OG has having a bit more mid-bass grunt and slightly more slam.

Both have a nice vocal tone and note weight, and a nice treble tone as well. I found the treble tuning largely unproblematic.

Both have good dynamics, average resolution (for the price), and a little fuzziness in the very initial stages of the transient attack.

I thought both Prismaticas were a fun, enjoyable listen. I can see people using it as an everyday carry type of IEM.

Letshuoer Cadenza 12 ($2300 USD)

The Cadenza 12 is an IEM that I think flies under the radar a bit. It's a set I think a lot of people would enjoy if they were to give it a demo.

The bass of the Cadenza 12 is really nicely bodied and very well-textured. It's very satisfying.

The Cadenza 12 as a whole has a nice note weight, so vocals sound full and natural. The midrange and treble tuning are very safely-tuned so I found no issues there.

Some nitpicks are that the resolution could be a bit better for its price range, and that the transient edges could use more definition.

Some might find the tuning a bit too safe. Otherwise, it's a superb set that does everything else well.

Letshuoer Prototype:

Letshuoer also had a prototype which I think is a different take/re-tune of the Cadenza 12.

It had all the strengths of the Cadenza 12 but sounded more W-shaped which gave it some of the excitement the Cadenza 12 was missing.

Soranik xMEMS Prototype (Rumored ~$2000 USD)

IMG_9283.jpg

I was able to listen to Soranik's xMEMS prototype during a private demo. I don't know much about xMEMS technology but this IEM in particular used an energizer the size of a smartphone.

The bass on the prototype was pretty good, with some nice mid-bass quantity and texturing. The vocals had a slightly ethereal quality to it that I enjoyed and reminded me of the quality on electrostatic drivers.

The treble also had a pleasant electrostatic-like quality to it. It was enjoyable but I thought the treble could use a little more energy.

I was really grateful for this demo. It gave me a glimpse into what xMEMS technology can do and I'd be very interested to see more xMEMS IEMs in the market.

Fatfreq Grand Maestro ($3000 USD)

For the GM demo, I used the blue Noah module with the vocal switch both on and off.

GM has a huge, well-articulated sub-bass. The bass is sub-bass focused. I thought the vocals and treble were mostly fine, if unspectacular. Especially for a $3k set.

As expected, the vocals were pushed forward when flipping the vocal switch on. It was a little too forward for me so I preferred leaving the switch off.

I think GM is an okay set overall but I think it's technicalities could be better for its price point.

qdc 8PRO ($1500)

10.jpeg

The 8PRO has a 3-way switch, H/S/L which stands for HiFi, Studio, and Live.

I tried the S and L switches.

S switch:

Nice sub-bass quantity, could use a touch more mid-bass.

Good resolution and great staging. Very good dynamics with a well-defined transient attack. Nice treble presence, and a good sounding treble overall. Very good dynamics.

Vocals have a nice note weight but sound a touch cold. The 8PRO is very technical, among the best in its class.

L switch:

The L switch kicks up the bass quantity. Huge sub-bass and a large mid-bass which has some bloat. Possibly some male vocal bloom. Techs are the same, and everything above the lower-mids sound about the same.

Overall, I feel as though the 8PRO, while very technical, lacks some emotion. It checks all the boxes for the things I index for and yet it's not a set I'd reach for personally.

Eletech Prototype (Rumored ~$3k USD)

6.jpeg

Apparently there were two Eletech prototypes at CanJam, a Romeo, and a Juliet.

I'm not sure which one I heard but the photo is above, and here's what I heard:

Decent sub-bass quantity but could use more sub-bass and mid-bass. Nice vocal tone, slightly ethereal. Nice treble timbre as well. Decent transient attack, with okay dynamics and decent resolution.

I thought it was a decent set overall but I'm not convinced it's $3k good.

MusicTeck Leo's Prototype (Rumored $1.5k to $2k)

1 (2).jpeg

Nice sub-bass/mid-bass quantity and weight with a sub-bass tilt.

Very resolving set overall with a balanced vocal placement (neither recessed nor too forward). Nice transient attack with a hint of lower treble sharpness that toes the line. Good dynamics and a slightly colder timbre.

I think Leo's prototype did a lot of things well and shows promise. It kind of sounds like his open-back headphone prototype I heard a few months back.

I'm excited to hear more refinements to the prototype down the line.

Last but not least:

InTime Miyabi MKII ($230)

7.jpeg

Chang brought over a bunch of IEMs that are difficult to find in the West, including the InTime Miyabi MKII.

The Miyabi MKII has a nice lush timbre with a pleasant thickness to notes, and a tuning without any problem areas. It's obviously priced as an entry level set and its techs reflect that, however it's a very pleasant and non-fussy set.

It was my only purchase during the CanJam weekend and I intend to use it during travel and on-the-go situations. Thanks to Chang for the demo!
Thanks for the impressions. The Soranik's prototype looks like my MEMS-3s with 2 different xMEMs and 1 DD.

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #596 of 707
Not to many Amber Pearl impressions here. Is the interest for this IEM fading away ?

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #598 of 707
You guys see the Singapore shirts? Wonder if HFHQ will start shipping.

1710789937203.png

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #600 of 707
Is the football shirt design deliberate?

I think that's their thing in Singapore. I've only been once... everything is illegal. Spitting, jaywalking, chewing gum, carrying vape, and I hear large narcotic possession gets the death penalty... but the shirts are nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back