CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #346 of 707
Time for someone to invent a noise-cancelling helmet for CanJam. Imaging the future CanJam, we have people wearing those helmets from star war movie, we will be officially in the future.

If someone wants to build it we'll buy it, contact us =D

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #347 of 707
The Vali 2++ (stupidest name ever) has 60V rails while the Vali 3 has 100V rails (according to its info card). There are probably some other small tweaks to its circuit design as well.
The EECS nerd in me says that since 2++ = 3, they must be one and the same…! :L3000:

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #348 of 707
I'm going to think about how this could work, maybe a 'quiet room' that could be sponsored and reserved in 15-30 minute time slots? Those noise isolation booths cost about $2500 to rent and can fit 1-2 people. If you put a few of these in a side room, it might cost $15k with the room fee. I think the only way that makes economic sense is to have a 2nd setup up in a hotel room and have sign ups or invitations for it
Setting up a noise isolation room inside a convention hall/room(s) would be a pain in the butt and costly.

Best solution is to set up signs, ask all attendees to try and keep their voices down, and be more courteous, but I don't think it's ever been asked of CanJam attendees before.

It should be a requirement to be respectful, but it's not and has never been. If people want to chat loudly and socialize all CanJam long, they should do it outside of the room(s) people are trying to demo products. There's plenty of space to speak loudly outside of the main room and side rooms, but people are lazy and it's inconvenient, so they just stand next to or around tables where people are trying to test out headphones and IEMs instead, talking, laughing, sometimes shouting loudly for hours. I'm not talking about people trying to chat with vendors/exhibitors either, because they obviously need to stay by their tables.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #349 of 707
Top items of the show for me are: Campfire Trifecta, Raal Magna (preferred it to the Immanis), Modhouse Tungsten Double-Sided, and (oddly enough) the Grado GS3000x and the xDuoo XD05 Pro.

Also, I think 1/4 of the people I observed listening to full-size headphones had them on backwards. It was obscene.
Could you expand on why you prefer Magna to Immanis? I ask because I have Immanis on pre-order.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #350 of 707
Time for someone to invent a noise-cancelling helmet for CanJam. Imaging the future CanJam, we have people wearing those helmets from star war movie, we will be officially in the future.
Reminded me of this :)

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #351 of 707

I've just barely started on an early prototype. It will be pretty inexpensive.

OIP.jpg

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #352 of 707
I've just barely started on an early prototype. It will be pretty inexpensive.

OIP.jpg

I'll give you $8,000 and the goggles must be included. Final offer.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #353 of 707
Setting up a noise isolation room inside a convention hall/room(s) would be a pain in the butt and costly.

Best solution is to set up signs, ask all attendees to try and keep their voices down, and be more courteous, but I don't think it's ever been asked of CanJam attendees before.

It should be a requirement to be respectful, but it's not and has never been. If people want to chat loudly and socialize all CanJam long, they should do it outside of the room(s) people are trying to demo products. There's plenty of space to speak loudly outside of the main room and side rooms, but people are lazy and it's inconvenient, so they just stand next to or around tables where people are trying to test out headphones and IEMs instead, talking, laughing, sometimes shouting loudly for hours. I'm not talking about people trying to chat with vendors/exhibitors either, because they obviously need to stay by their tables.
Or perhaps a dedicated member of staff could just quietly walk around with a stick and give a gentle smack on the bum of the loudest participants. :)

Joke aside, noise unfortunately is somewhat unavoidable on events like CanJam. Even if you just count the polite conversations going on between vendors and visitors, that quiet murmur in a big hall adds up and becomes noise. That said, certainly a large percentage of conversations could be taken outside, and there is always one or two people, who are just so unaware of others being around, that they talk loudly right next to you when you are trying to listen to some long-awaited headphones.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #354 of 707
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #355 of 707
I'm going to think about how this could work, maybe a 'quiet room' that could be sponsored and reserved in 15-30 minute time slots? Those noise isolation booths cost about $2500 to rent and can fit 1-2 people. If you put a few of these in a side room, it might cost $15k with the room fee. I think the only way that makes economic sense is to have a 2nd setup up in a hotel room and have sign ups or invitations for it
At an event which is built for auditioning headphones (and amps, dacs, etc.), vendors needing to pay for extra rooms to get some quiet seems awful. We could at least TRY asking people to speak quietly (and post a bunch of signs around the room).

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #356 of 707
At an event which is built for auditioning headphones (and amps, dacs, etc.), vendors needing to pay for extra rooms to get some quiet seems awful. We could at least TRY asking people to speak quietly (and post a bunch of signs around the room).
Welcome to CanJam, the world's premiere silent audio show.

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #357 of 707
Or perhaps a dedicated member of staff could just quietly walk around with a stick and give a gentle smack on the bum of the loudest participants. :)

Joke aside, noise unfortunately is somewhat unavoidable on events like CanJam. Even if you just count the polite conversations going on between vendors and visitors, that quiet murmur in a big hall adds up and becomes noise. That said, certainly a large percentage of conversations could be taken outside, and there is always one or two people, who are just so unaware of others being around, that they talk loudly right next to you when you are trying to listen to some long-awaited headphones.
I know noise is unavoidable at conventions, but the intensity and loudness of the noise can definitely be mitigated and lessened if staff simply asks attendees to be more quiet and respectful to those trying to demo products, which is the main reason to even have an audiophile show to begin with. Vets who have owned or heard most of the stuff at CJs mainly go to socialize and talk all day and night. New comers like me want to try out all of the gear we've only read about and seen online, but we can't do it when there's so much loud noise around us.

I'm not asking for a silent room, because that'd be weird, boring, and too strict, but I also don't want to experience how insanely loud it was on Saturday afternoon again. It was just unbearable. Left early Sunday before late afternoon, because I didn't want to deal with that again. Couldn't even properly demo any headphones this CanJam because of how loud it was, including the side rooms. Tried to demo at the headphones.com table and Audeze table, but it was a hopeless endeavor. Even the ZMF room was too loud to demo the Caldera closed back. Forget about trying out any open back headphones.

If there were no IEMs at CanJam, I would've been so disappointed and never want to go back to another CJ again.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #358 of 707

No problem. All we need to do is cutout an area for the neck and put in some weatherstripping to seal it. Maybe add some shoulder pads to balance the weight.

Caisson-5G-Vue-Interieur-min-1-scaled (small).jpg

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #359 of 707
While it's perfectly well and good to get to meet in person, I do think there's something to be said for the fact that it feels like there have been more posts this year about the NYC event itself rather than the gear. I wasn't there but I hope the noise didn't have such a huge impact that people couldn't properly demo stuff.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #360 of 707

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back