CanJam London 2022 (July 30-31, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #181 of 280
What a great idea. 👍

I am planning to make a major upgrade of my long-standing ER4P + ACS tips as I now have to commute using London's deafeningly loud Underground network. As this has made IEMs a necessity, it is time to find the ToTL SQ.

The UK is a bit short on demo locations but after a few comparisons I found the U12T with the MX filter to be the best I have heard to date. I would be tempted to go custom as it costs the same but for a £2k investment, I felt that the HFs were not good enough as I found that they lacked the real world sparkle I expect to hear with things like cymbals, almost sounding muted / rolled off in the last octaves.

When I realised CanJam was back this year, it was a no-brainer: try everything I can get in my ears to find the IEMs / CIEMs that meet my SQ requirements. I am not one to upgrade unless absolutely necessary but as I know exactly what I am looking for, I have no need to when I find it.

If I have time, I also want to demo the current crop of full-sized headphones as these are a potential purchase planned for later in the year, providing they can outshine some "vintage" sets I am currently using...

My list is mostly made of recommendations from others:

ThieAudio - Monarch i & ii, Excalibur, Oracle
64 Audio - 12, 18, Tia Trio, Nio
Etymotic - ER4SR, Evo
Aure Audio - Ringo
Elysian Acoustic Labs - Annihilator, X
Hidition - Viento Reference
Empire Ears - Odin, Legend X, Legend Evo
Symphonium - Helios
Unique Melody - Mest Mk ii
Vision Ears - Erlkonig, VE8, Elysium
Moondrop - Blessing 2 (+ Dusk), S8
Final Audio - A8000
Meze Audio
Fiio - FH7, FH9
Sony - IER-Z1R
Rhapsodio - Supreme Mk ii
Craft Ears - Aurum
Clear Tune Monitors - Da Vinci X
Nostalgia Audio - Camelot
Shuoer - EJ07, EJ09
FIR - XE6
Subtonic - Storm
Aroma Audio - Jewel
Nice timing to look at some IEM's. Hope you'll find what you are looking for! I see some things on your list that sound familiar and went of the radar for me. Added them to my list as well and have some research to do for the rest.
Am getting pretty excited now, it's been a while. All I know is that you need to have a big breakfast or figure out where the food is, because it's a full on two days :D

I wanna hear Noble IEMs again. I heard the Khan at one of the previous CanJams and it was borderline the best thing I heard (I had heard the Shangri-La though so...). IEMs really weren't impressing me that year, but this thing was out-resolving some of the flagship headphones. I have much more listening experience now so can see if it was just a fluke haha.

But other than that:

Headphones:
Beyerdynamic T series - they NEVER bring them, it's always the much cheaper stuff --__--
Spirit Torino - Twin Pulse series. As a basshead I wanna confirm the hype, despite the price.
Hedd Audio - Heddphone. It's heavy, but lowest distortion I'd heard a few years back, wanna see how it holds up nowadays.
Hifiman - Most of the lineup to see how they rival Audezes. Somehow I still haven't heard the Aryas either.
Rosson - They have beautiful artisan headphones, would never be able to afford/hear them otherwise.
Final - D8000 - This has alluded me for many years and people still talk about them.
T+A - Assuming it's the same as every year, good luck getting in the booth lol. Still haven't tried them.
Focal - Clear MG and Celestee. Haven't heard them yet. Stellia was still my favourite.

IEMs:
Empire Ears - Legend X - Because bass.
Not sure if they'll be there but, Unique Melody. A lot of hype from the community.
Noble Audio - as already mentioned.

Some wishful thinking (things I hope are there):
Z1R - both over ear and in ear.
Abyss AB1266 on a decent amp - didn't have a great experience last time (this was before I knew some headphones really DO need more than 4W@16ohms).
Susvara on a decent amp - Didn't have a good experience last time (same as above).
Dan Clark Audio Stealth - Would never get to hear it otherwise.
Any electrostats. I heard some once and their mid-range resolution is in a completely different universe. Other tech simply couldn't match it, it's just that different.
Burson Amps - I'm actually considering purchasing a Conductor Reference 3, but never heard their amps in person.
LCD-5 - Just because it's the current Audeze flagship, doubt I'll ever move on from my X and even if I did, it would be the undefeated (in sub bass) LCD-4.
Fostex TH909 - Didn't get to hear it yet, want to see how Fostex tuned this one and if it's just the same extreme V as always.

And of course, always want to hear the statement pieces if they're there.
Shangri-La and HE1.
EDIT
OK, just checked out the Jewel too - yeah it's gotta be done if it's there.
Couldn't see myself considering an IEM over £2.5K, BUT STILL!
I like your list as well!

I really like the Conductor Reference 3 and Burson recently came out with a GT model of that. Just like they have a GT model of their Soloist amp. I own the Conductor Performance 3X and the Reference is the same but better on every level. I haven't heard the GT model, so I hope to hear that. It's the only thing that might keep me away from going seperates. In that case I will still go for their Composer DAC.

The Arya is so much bang for your buck. I auditioned them along with the Empyreans and HE1000SE and liked the Arya the most.

Also good to know: the Arya and Burson products get along very very nicely, IMHO!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #182 of 280
I like your list as well!

I really like the Conductor Reference 3 and Burson recently came out with a GT model of that. Just like they have a GT model of their Soloist amp. I own the Conductor Performance 3X and the Reference is the same but better on every level. I haven't heard the GT model, so I hope to hear that. It's the only thing that might keep me away from going seperates. In that case I will still go for their Composer DAC.

The Arya is so much bang for your buck. I auditioned them along with the Empyreans HE1000SE and liked the Arya the most.

Also good to know: the Arya and Burson products get along very very nicely, IMHO!

On raw specs, I'd probably look at the GT version if I was into balanced cans (10W baby!) to really just make it endgame, however I'm SE for now and probably the foreseeable future - if worst comes to worse, I'll get the Flux FA-10 >=D Thus, not worth it price wise, but would be nice to hear :D
But the reference 3 should complete my setup and replace the iFi IDSD Micro BL (except no in-built bass boost) as well as contend with the Emotiva Basx (a little less power but a MUCH lower noise floor and better technicalities - something that wasn't needed till I acquired the LCD-X 2021) . Even has Bluetooth if I'm feeling lazy.

Yeah, I've heard so much about the Aryas and Hifiman's Stealth editions of things correct what little issues there were; good to know Burson goes with them too if I ever go that route =D Still hard to imagine a soundstage that competes with or even beats the Senny 800S, whilst also having all the benefits of a planar :D

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #183 of 280
CanJam London 2022: Many Flagship IEMs, A Beast Mode Stack, Top-Tier Studio Monitors, And MUCH More

After three years, CanJam returns to London! It will be a strong return with new gear from dCS, Audeze, Chord Electronics, HIFIMAN, Vision Ears, and MANY more.

Also, seminars include a discussion of trends with premium headphones, a measurement seminar, and several more.

CanJam London 2022: Many Flagship IEMs, A Beast Mode Stack, Top-Tier Studio Monitors, And MUCH More
Produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, Warren Chi, and Jude Mansilla​

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #184 of 280
On raw specs, I'd probably look at the GT version if I was into balanced cans (10W baby!) to really just make it endgame, however I'm SE for now and probably the foreseeable future - if worst comes to worse, I'll get the Flux FA-10 >=D Thus, not worth it price wise, but would be nice to hear :D
But the reference 3 should complete my setup and replace the iFi IDSD Micro BL (except no in-built bass boost) as well as contend with the Emotiva Basx (a little less power but a MUCH lower noise floor and better technicalities - something that wasn't needed till I acquired the LCD-X 2021) . Even has Bluetooth if I'm feeling lazy.

Yeah, I've heard so much about the Aryas and Hifiman's Stealth editions of things correct what little issues there were; good to know Burson goes with them too if I ever go that route =D Still hard to imagine a soundstage that competes with or even beats the Senny 800S, whilst also having all the benefits of a planar :D
Yeah, the Bursons have power to spare. Even my humble Conductor 3XP can make my ZMF cans seem shouty on high gain balanced. But certainly end game stuff for those who need the power. Also the build in DAC is no slough whatsoever.

From what I've read the Arya doesn't beat the 800s on soundstage, but there are few that do. I do like the soundstage on the Arya.

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #185 of 280

After three years, CanJam returns to London! It will be a strong return with new gear from dCS, Audeze, Chord Electronics, HIFIMAN, Vision Ears, and MANY more.

Also, seminars include a discussion of trends with premium headphones, a measurement seminar, and several more.

Why do I suddenly feel like a weekend ticket is not going to be enough time? 😅

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #187 of 280
Why do I suddenly feel like a weekend ticket is not going to be enough time? 😅
I'd say a weekend ticket is enough time if you go in with a plan of attack on Saturday. Don't go crazy trying to experience too much too quickly, and remember to take breaks. I always bring some protein bars for a quick lunch as a backup plan, but there are advantages in stepping away for a short meal. A brief respite can "reset" the ears and give you time to come back fresh.

Sunday is perfect for catching gear that you didn't expect to see or may have missed on Saturday. And don't be shy about listening right up until the show ends for the day. It'll probably be another year before we're back in London after this upcoming weekend so get in all the listening time you can!

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #188 of 280
Wait Musicteck is not participating? Than its unlikely.
I do hope they will be though

Musicteck is a US retailer, don't think out of the country retailers participate at CanJams. Hopefully, someone who owns Aroma Jewel will bring it to the show to let others hear it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #191 of 280

Hmm, a measurement seminar. Truly objective learning in that department might help free some minds.

--Oh, I was thinking performance measurements of headphones, not of ears for custom IEMs.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #192 of 280
I'd say a weekend ticket is enough time if you go in with a plan of attack on Saturday. Don't go crazy trying to experience too much too quickly, and remember to take breaks. I always bring some protein bars for a quick lunch as a backup plan, but there are advantages in stepping away for a short meal. A brief respite can "reset" the ears and give you time to come back fresh.

Sunday is perfect for catching gear that you didn't expect to see or may have missed on Saturday. And don't be shy about listening right up until the show ends for the day. It'll probably be another year before we're back in London after this upcoming weekend so get in all the listening time you can!
Thanks for the tips. 👍

I plan to start the day with a reccy to identify which models from my demo list are there, and where they are situated. Then the fun starts with 64 Audio to tune my ears back in to the U12T ahead of all the comparisons throughout the day...

Maybe on to ThieAudio next, but I have no set order of preference so may just have to work my way around the room geographically to waste less time.

Only a few days left... 😁

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #193 of 280
Will there be anyone there who can take Ear images/measurements for Custom IEM?

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #194 of 280
My first visit to CanJam - also new to Head-fi.

I am hoping to experience some cable options for my Stax 9s and Stellia.

Also I’d like to hear proper IEMs and see what’s it all about - in terms of IEMs all I have atm is AirPods and Bose ANC.

I am totally blind to the above two - so looking forward to learning and understanding some more.

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #195 of 280
Will there be anyone there who can take Ear images/measurements for Custom IEM?

Many of the CIEM exhibitors do ear molds/impressions themselves, or make arrangements with local audiologists to do them at the show. In the event that you fall in love with a CIEM, and that exhibitor can't do molds/impressions for you, I'd recommend Gisele Flower over at Aid2Hearing. She is well-versed with our industry, and has years of experience doing molds for CIEMs.

My first visit to CanJam - also new to Head-fi.

Also I’d like to hear proper IEMs and see what’s it all about - in terms of IEMs all I have atm is AirPods and Bose ANC.

Welcome to Head-Fi @105tc! Sorry about your wallet. :smiley:

Wow, you're in for quite a treat if you're new to proper IEMs. I envy your new voyage of discovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back