CanJam London 2022 Impressions Thread (July 30-31, 2022)
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #76 of 348
Similar thoughts to you I believe as I also found the PP8 to be among the better IEMs. If you are yet to try 64 Audio, I strongly recommend the U12T and U18T. Following a few previous demos of various IEMs I went to this show with the U12T being my personal benchmark, and thankfully managed to start my day off refreshing my memory with it first before trying everything else.

If you liked the PP8, I would like to put forward the following models as worthy competition (to my ears):

64 Audio - U12T & U18T
Vision Ears - VE8 & EXT
ThieAudio - Monarch ii & V16
LETSHUOER - EJ07 & EJ09
FIR - KR5
Symphonium - Helios

I did not manage to complete the circuit, despite being there for the full day, so I will use my weekend ticket and return tomorrow.

What switch settings did you prefer on the PP8?
Thanks for the recommendations, I already tried the v16 and the ej07, both had some very nice qualities (v16 had one of the best bass I've personally heard in an item) but I also had some gripes (slight but noticeably blunted vocals and instruments on the v16 and slightly unengaging sound on the ej07)

64 audio were always on my to try list but I now feel like I don't want to miss out on anyone after the surprise from Inear who I hadn't heard of before

I personally just liked the neutral 2 switches down mode the most but I can see my self turning up the bass switch sometimes for some music

Ps. I am also bringing a pair today that I've modded a bit, i'd love for someone to try it and let me know what they think. It's sort of a akg with beyer parts and a modded driver

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #77 of 348
xMEMS was also a huge highlight of the show for me. Absolutely astounding. Etymotics are my personal reference sound (I'm a 4SR person) and the xMEMS demo unit did not suffer in comparison. And the xMEMs bass had noticeably more authority – when the drums came in on the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California, it was truly eye-opening.

All of this, mind, from a hand-assembed demo unit in a basic 3D-printed shell, with a pretty nondescript USB driver electronics package (because the xMEMS drivers require different excitation than standard analog drivers do). But it still amazed me. I'm very eager to hear what these will do once more established earphone makers start using them.

My other top hit was Etymotic where I listened to both Evo and to an upcoming prototype quad-driver. Evo is great. I had been skeptical of Evo since it was said to hew more to the 4XR sound than the 4SR, and the XRs are just not my thing. But Evo surprised me by sounding, to my ears, mostly like a just better and cleaner 4SR with just a little bit of warmth and richness lift. A little comparable to 3SR, actually, but better, more open-sounding, cleaner.

...and then I heard the prototype quad-driver, in a very similar shell design. This was absolute magic.

I remember the feeling when I first tried Etys, that goosebump feeling of at last I can hear what it really sounds like. That was quite a few years ago and I've been an Ety-centric listener ever since. And friends, let me tell you: coming to the new prototype quad-driver Ety gave me that same goosebump, coming-home-at-last feeling all over again. It is that much of an upgrade. I am very, very eager for these.

At both booths I said the same thing: When can I get some?

So: my wallet isn't lighter, because both the things I really loved and coveted are just prototypes right now. But it will be.
Interesting... Is that the Ety Drop things? I did not try them as the Evo was not a ToTL jump I am looking for, but wonder if I should demo today?

My Ety ER4PT has served me brilliantly as my only IEM over the past 15 or so years and they respond well to EQ, but I am now upgrading because I want the last few octaves of FR that are missing. I am tempted to get an ER4SR / XR just for posterity's sake. 😅

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:40 AM Post #78 of 348
Nice to meet MiT and to say hello to music day and Phil W again

Celebrity spotting: third_eye looks just like the avatar. Or confusing for another show attendee :yum:

Show conditions disclaimer. Triangulation of my superficial impressions: walked the room with the Sony WM1Z first gen, Sony IER-Z1R and Noble K10 (custom). This is a warmer source relative to, say Fiio. Raised eyebrows when people tried the weight of the DAP ha ha (just imagine the second gen)

Campfire Audio Trifecta (limited edition, 'think' hifi headphones said 15 UK sets, with many already reserved): maybe too much of a good thing? Wondered if hearing too much gain. Quite possibly the short time. Like first impressions of the new 'flat' cable, hope the cable gets a non limited general release to explore further

Campfire Audio Supermoon (universal demo): might be the real deal. Dynamic, bass texture, single driver coherence. Depending on the next 6-12 months owner reports of QC, could be a buy even if still only available as a custom only. Would buy over the Trifecta and keep the saving

Vision Ears Phönix: that is some midrange. Add the U12t bass and instant buy. Caught my attention more than the Ext

LETSHUOER: of the two 'budget' sets, spend extra and buy the S12 planar over the D13 single dynamic

64 Audio U12t/U18t: want. Almost DD like bass on the U12t and depth to the stage. Insufficient time to pin down differences or preference between l two models

InEar PP8: A much improved Noble K10. Balanced, neutral. Preferred no switches / bass switch / bass and treble switches over treble switch alone

JH Audio Jolene: physicality to the bass due to the dynamic driver and wide stage. Will lack bass quantity for some / probably many, as this is an NA site

JH Audio Sharona: too much bass quantity or just right bass quantity depending on mood. A much improved Layla (which I found to be thick and muddy). Think this site would prefer the Sharona over the Jolene

The Storm: Holy J. Highly dynamic, spacious, no apparent wonky tonality. Out of my price league

Burson Conductor all in one (not the latest model) better all in one than my DAP

Rupert Neve Fidelice: minimal improvement over my DAP. Would buy a Burson instead

AK Kann Max: ran temperature warm at the show where my DAP was never stressed. More neutral and airy than my DAP and of course much more driving power. Not to my taste

Audeze MM-500: needs further exploration. No, not the LCD-5 and that is okay

Lastly, saw lots of iBasso DAP representation

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #79 of 348
Yeah, the Audeze and Focals I auditioned had such good cases, but sound quality won on the dsy. No regrets until now 😉
I did a really long (5hr) demo at High-End Headphones years ago and tried all the then current top tier models.

At the time I found the HD800 2nd to my top choice (which was the HE6 when powered by the EF1000. I did not particularly like any of the Audeze over Hifiman so would suggest giving their current line up a listen. I know there is a split camp between Audeze and Hifiman though...

Hoping to get some time with them myself once I settle on my new IEMs!

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #80 of 348
Day Two! 😃 May today be the day that you discover the one you've been waiting for!

From the time we queue up at the show desk
Then, eager, rush into that hall
There's more to see than can ever be seen
More to hear than can ever be heard
There's far too much to take in here
More to find than can ever be found
But those crimson red lines
On that gold carpet bright
Keeps guiding us around and 'round

It is CanJam show time
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
'Til we find our place
On the path unwinding
In this CanJam
It's CanJam show time

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #81 of 348
Nice to meet MiT and to say hello to music day and Phil W again

Celebrity spotting: third_eye looks just like the avatar. Or confusing for another show attendee :yum:

Show conditions disclaimer. Triangulation of my superficial impressions: walked the room with the Sony WM1Z first gen, Sony IER-Z1R and Noble K10 (custom). This is a warmer source relative to, say Fiio. Raised eyebrows when people tried the weight of the DAP ha ha (just imagine the second gen)

Campfire Audio Trifecta (limited edition, 'think' hifi headphones said 15 UK sets, with many already reserved): maybe too much of a good thing? Wondered if hearing too much gain. Quite possibly the short time. Like first impressions of the new 'flat' cable, hope the cable gets a non limited general release to explore further

Campfire Audio Supermoon (universal demo): might be the real deal. Dynamic, bass texture, single driver coherence. Depending on the next 6-12 months owner reports of QC, could be a buy even if still only available as a custom only. Would buy over the Trifecta and keep the saving

Vision Ears Phönix: that is some midrange. Add the U12t bass and instant buy. Caught my attention more than the Ext

LETSHUOER: of the two 'budget' sets, spend extra and buy the S12 planar over the D13 single dynamic

64 Audio U12t/U18t: want. Almost DD like bass on the U12t and depth to the stage. Insufficient time to pin down differences or preference between l two models

InEar PP8: A much improved Noble K10. Balanced, neutral. Preferred no switches / bass switch / bass and treble switches over treble switch alone

JH Audio Jolene: physicality to the bass due to the dynamic driver and wide stage. Will lack bass quantity for some / probably many, as this is an NA site

JH Audio Sharona: too much bass quantity or just right bass quantity depending on mood. A much improved Layla (which I found to be thick and muddy). Think this site would prefer the Sharona over the Jolene

The Storm: Holy J. Highly dynamic, spacious, no apparent wonky tonality. Out of my price league

Burson Conductor all in one (not the latest model) better all in one than my DAP

Rupert Neve Fidelice: minimal improvement over my DAP. Would buy a Burson instead

AK Kann Max: ran temperature warm at the show where my DAP was never stressed. More neutral and airy than my DAP and of course much more driving power. Not to my taste

Audeze MM-500: needs further exploration. No, not the LCD-5 and that is okay

Lastly, saw lots of iBasso DAP representation
Nice meeting you too mate. If I had spotted your Z1R earlier, I would have volunteered to roll the red carpet out for you throughout the day. 😂

Looks like I need to visit Campfire Audio today then... How do the other models compare to the Andromeda for fit? I found that one too painful in previous demos so shied away from the brand.

The Storm is on my list for today, along with the Elysian Acoustic Labs model(s).

Thanks for the recommendations, I already tried the v16 and the ej07, both had some very nice qualities (v16 had one of the best bass I've personally heard in an item) but I also had some gripes (slight but noticeably blunted vocals and instruments on the v16 and slightly unengaging sound on the ej07)

64 audio were always on my to try list but I now feel like I don't want to miss out on anyone after the surprise from Inear who I hadn't heard of before

I personally just liked the neutral 2 switches down mode the most but I can see my self turning up the bass switch sometimes for some music

Ps. I am also bringing a pair today that I've modded a bit, i'd love for someone to try it and let me know what they think. It's sort of a akg with beyer parts and a modded driver
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Monarch ii Vs. the Voyager 16... I will be comparing both at length today as I only heard the V16 once yesterday.

If all else fails, do not miss 64 Audio mate. The U18T made me question full-sized headphones are needed... "Show impressions" though so lets see today. 😅

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #82 of 348
@goldwerger when looking at the second picture in the middle, I almost thought you flew to UK lol
Ha! Good one…:)
I sent my doppelgänger so I can multitask…:wink:

Wish I were there! Same time zone but a country away…

Jul 31, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #83 of 348
Just went to CanJam London yesterday.

There was a $100,000 set up with Hifiman Shang-ri la. Had goosebumps and almost shud a tear with the Shang-ri la setup listening to Pink Floyd's time album, but this is beyond what I can realistically afford. I tried it with the STAX SR-x009 and Shangri-la headphone, but prefer the STAX in this set-up as it had slightly more body to my ears.

The Hifiman and the Feliks Envy was great, and sounded like a fast SS amp with a touch of the tube softness.

I enjoyed the 1266-TC with the DCS set-up. Overall it came close to the performance of the Shangri-la but for me it was the guitar riff in Pink Floyd's 'Time' song is what distinguished it. I also was not accustomed with the 1266 settings with the toe-in earcups so that may have compromised by experience. Tried the clock setting, it gave me noticable room reverb and slightly more body with the 1266.

My favourite is the CRBN with the STAX tube amp, and the Auris Nirvana with the Meze Elites. The Auris Nirvana with EL34 sounded more the tube-sound I was accustomed to with great warmth, impact, noticable decay but still have good speed and doing well with the technicalities. It was such great fun listening to this. It did not have same level of imaging prowess as the E-stat or the DCS stack, but it was really one of the most fun setups in the show.

The CRBN with the STAX had excellent seperation and warmth typical of an E-stat, but had enough body, impact and overall musicality to be really enjoyable. The E-stats really excelled with seperation and imaging, and the CRBN really brought the goods with abit of extra musicality to leave me with a lasting impression.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (7).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (7).jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (6).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (6).jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (5).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (5).jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (4).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (4).jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (3).jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (2).jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-31 at 10.16.33 AM (1).jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #84 of 348
At the time I found the HD800 2nd to my top choice (which was the HE6 when powered by the EF1000.
I couldn’t get hold of any
Hifiman products at the time to compare. I wanted to try the Arya Stealth then. Today I’ll be spending time with both their headphones and also the new DAC/amp with my HD800S

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #88 of 348
Would be interested to hear your thoughts on the Monarch ii Vs. the Voyager 16... I will be comparing both at length today as I only heard the V16 once yesterday.

If all else fails, do not miss 64 Audio mate. The U18T made me question full-sized headphones are needed... "Show impressions" though so lets see today. 😅
Are you here? I wouldn't mind saying hi, I'm currently at the Rupert Neve stand and I'm about to go try the mems microspeaker

stand

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #89 of 348
The Hifiman and the Feliks Envy was great, and sounded like a fast SS amp with a touch of the tube softness.

My favourite is the CRBN with the STAX tube amp, and the Auris Nirvana with the Meze Elites. The Auris Nirvana with EL34 sounded more the tube-sound I was accustomed to with great warmth, impact, noticable decay but still have good speed and doing well with the technicalities. It was such great fun listening to this. It did not have same level of imaging prowess as the E-stat or the DCS stack, but it was really one of the most fun setups in the show.
Any thoughts on Feliks Envy vs Auris Nirvana ?

Jul 31, 2022 at 6:40 AM Post #90 of 348
Any thoughts on Feliks Envy vs Auris Nirvana ?

Both are excellent. Feliks Envy is more SS like with Susvara. The Auris Nirvana will get you more of that tube sound you're after, i tried with meze. That's all I can say under the short time I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back