CanJam London 2018 Impressions Thread (July 21-22, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #167 of 186
Just got back to San Diego and wanted to say thanks to everyone who came by the suite upstairs for a listen, always a pleasure meeting the UK enthusiasts!

We should be thanking you for showing up! The Voce was the highlight of my Canjam, and easily the best headphone I heard there. I was so impressed that I completley forgot I was supposed as try the ethers. They were occupied when I entered the room and once I put the Voce I stopped seeking. During Canjam I was going around listening to everything analytically but the Voce brought a silence to my mind and then filled it with a remarkable sound.

The listening was briefly interrupted by a musician behind me listening 110/120db on some openbacks behind me. His music was louder to my ears than my own and we were both wearing headphones! Damage was definitely done that day, although he didn't seem to appreciate the polite intervention which probably saved him from hearing damage!

Anyway it was nice to meet you and thank you for exhibiting at CanJam. Keeping my eyes on the Voce, will pounce on it as soon as the other half shows a moment of weakness!

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #168 of 186
Thank you all very much for attending Canjam and for stopping by Shanling booth. We had little bit unique collection this time, re-introducing Unique Melody IEMs to UK market and also showing around our new prototype :wink:

Always nice to see Head-Fi folks, talk with @jude about his current passion in measurements, meet other brand representatives in 5th country this year and some familiar faces from last year :)

Now it's time to take break, this was my last international show for this year. Will i see any of you in Shanghai?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #170 of 186
I shall bother you at RMAF. I'm hoping you'll have a Kimber Axios handy as well! I'll bring my Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver.

Yes, we will have both the Axios and WyWires with us for the curious, always happy to demo.

The Voce was the highlight of my Canjam, and easily the best headphone I heard there. I was so impressed that I completley forgot I was supposed as try the ethers. They were occupied when I entered the room and once I put the Voce I stopped seeking. During Canjam I was going around listening to everything analytically but the Voce brought a silence to my mind and then filled it with a remarkable sound.

The listening was briefly interrupted by a musician behind me listening 110/120db on some openbacks behind me. His music was louder to my ears than my own and we were both wearing headphones! Damage was definitely done that day, although he didn't seem to appreciate the polite intervention which probably saved him from hearing damage!

Anyway it was nice to meet you and thank you for exhibiting at CanJam. Keeping my eyes on the Voce, will pounce on it as soon as the other half shows a moment of weakness!

Glad you liked them! Yes, we had a couple of hearing interventions this show. We always debate about whether or not to say something as nobody likes having their “parents” nag them at a show, but in the end I’d feel pretty bad if I said nothing...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #171 of 186
2018-07-21 20.19.57.jpg
2018-07-22 11.54.49.jpg
2018-07-22 18.22.23.jpg
2018-07-22 20.21.44.jpg
Amazing event. Jude Mansilla is a great man, his seminar was very interesting. It's a pleasure to see
how much effort he puts in pushing to refine the technical measurements, bringing a bit more of objectivity
(Physics) in the field.

I was looking for flagship IEMs. I've been very much impressed by:
- Campfire Atlas
- 64Audio Tia Fourte' and Trio
- Meze PentaRai
- JH Layla
- Empire Legend X

The list is for sure not complete, my apologies for this.

Few words only for the Atlas: with a single driver technology it produces an astonishing sound, very well extended in the lows and highs, very detailed, deep and resolved, without recessing the mids. Impressive. Never heard something similar.

The hardest competition among these champion IEMs was the comparison with the live performance at Royal Albert Hall in the evenings.
On Saturday:
Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem
Beethoven - Symphony n.9
On Sunday:
Mahler - Symphony n.8 "of a thousand"

The conclusion is.........nothing beats the live performance.

However good approximations are possible.
Unfortunately I didn't have any IEM+DAP with me to make a tight comparison with the live performance.
Next time I'll do it...stay tuned!

p.s.
It was a pity (and a surprise!) not to have Sennheiser or other German brands at CanJam London.
A consequence of Brexit?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #173 of 186
I've posted a bigger review on http://subjective.reviews/ if anyone's interested

I quoted your CJ London report at the N8 thread yesterday night (3am my time :ksc75smile:), the writing style is familiar so I know this is coming from someone I know in person, now the veil is unveiled. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #174 of 186
The hardest competition among these champion IEMs was the comparison with the live performance at Royal Albert Hall in the evenings.
On Saturday:
Britten - Sinfonia da Requiem
Beethoven - Symphony n.9
On Sunday:
Mahler - Symphony n.8 "of a thousand"

The conclusion is.........nothing beats the live performance.

Funny thing - I went to both those performances too!

Nothing beats live performances indeed.

Aug 2, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #175 of 186
I quoted your CJ London report at the N8 thread yesterday night (3am my time :ksc75smile:), the writing style is familiar so I know this is coming from someone I know in person, now the veil is unveiled. :beerchug:
Hi @Andykong , thank you and well guessed! Yes I have done some work on Cayin in the past. They are really looking at how to innovate and provide an alternative to the smartphone otg dac\amp solution. I went past the booth lots of times before I could sit down and spend a decent length of time with it

Aug 10, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #178 of 186
Save the dates! CanJam London 2019 will take place on July 27-28, 2019, once again at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. Can't wait to do this again next summer!

:L3000::L3000::L3000:
5th edition oh my how time flies!

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #179 of 186
I completely agree with your opinion on the D8000. I am very jealous you have had a chance to hear the Empyrean. I wish I could say the same.
Thank you because I was worried I was suffering from listening fatigue having trialled so many different headphones by then. To be fair, these phones have to stand out against the likes of the Diana and the Meze at their price point. To my ears, they don't

Aug 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #180 of 186
Thank you because I was worried I was suffering from listening fatigue having trialled so many different headphones by then. To be fair, these phones have to stand out against the likes of the Diana and the Meze at their price point. To my ears, they don't

Yeah, I found them too bass heavy and not enough upper mids/lower treble. They reminded me a little of Audeze with their tuning. But the bass was a little bloomy and less defined, where as I find the bass on the LCD X to be absolutely amazing with impact and control. I also heard a slight treble peak maybe around 10K or 12K. They just didn’t have a very cohesive tuning in my opinion. They’re also very heavy. So I ended up sending them back. To my ears, they are way overpriced. There’s a lot of potential there with their air dampening technology, but they need quite a bit more refinement for that asking price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back