CanJam Global 2018 Event Thread (NYC, Singapore, SoCal, London, RMAF, Shanghai)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,156 of 1,303
ACK!!! Just had a REAL bad flashback....hot toes and @$$...NOOOOOO!!!!!:triportsad:

Looking forward to seeing everyone. :ksc75smile::beerchug:

Just need to get over this cold.....:triportsad:
Good luck on the cold. I’m just coming out of a bad sinus infections (like ER bad), so I feel for you. I also got a temporary crown, which I will still have at RMAF, so I hoping the music isn’t so loud as to cause the crown to pop out!

I was all excited about a possible sennheiser room, but I think it’s just one of the low end demo rooms with a sennheiser headphone. By the way, often those rooms are empty, and they have some headphone gear in them, so they aren’t a bad place to listen, assuming the gear in the room is attractive to you.

Sep 29, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #1,157 of 1,303
Sep 29, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,158 of 1,303
That's the @bearFNF special!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wanted to warn him, but he was too far away! :cold_sweat:

Fighting over

You win! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So we’re using it as a weapon now? That probably violates some kind of international accord, right?

Dude, it was always a weapon! :wink:

ACK!!! Just had a REAL bad flashback....hot toes and @$$...NOOOOOO!!!!!:triportsad:

I know you spent time looking for an apropos emoji, just like I did just now. :laughing:

I hoping the music isn’t so loud as to cause the crown to pop out!

I wonder what dB level it would take to eject body parts? :open_mouth:

Hope to see you again, 2 years later... :wink:

Looks like we're getting the band back together! :relaxed:

Sep 29, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,159 of 1,303
Sep 29, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,160 of 1,303
Any Questions?

Attention All Head-Fiers! I will be moderating two fun seminars at RMAF this year. And regardless of whether you're coming to CanJam @ RMAF or not, you can participate! :relaxed: But how???

As many of you know, RMAF seminars are captured on video, and subsequently uploaded at a later date. This means that, even if you aren't able to make it to RMAF, you can still ask a question (through me), and have it answered for your viewing pleasure later! Time and appropriateness permitting, I can be your proxy, and ask your questions on your behalf. Here are the seminars that I will be moderating:

Do Earphones Now Rival Full-Size Headphones in Performance?
Sun Oct 7 @ 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Speakers: Karl Cartwright (Westone); Matt Engstrom (Shure); Mario Gebhardt (beyerdynamic); Sankar Thiagasamudrum (Audeze)
In-ear headphones may have surpassed traditional headphones in terms of market share, but are they able to offer the comparable performance that audiophiles demand? This session will discuss this question in-depth, looking at the designs and driver technologies that are pushing earphone performance to higher ground.

The 2018 Headphone Audio AMA — Ask The Experts
Sat Oct 6 @ 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Speakers: Paul Barton (PSB & NAD); Dan Clark (MrSpeakers); Nicolas Debard (Focal); Thorsten Loesch (iFi Audio)
Do you want to know about the secret sauce behind your favorite headphone audio products? Most importantly, would you like a sneak peek at the exciting landscape ahead? Bring all of your burning questions to The 2018 Headphone Audio AMA's all-star panel!

Please go ahead at post your questions (specifying a specific panelist if applicable) here in this thread no later than the day before that seminar is to take place. That's all there is to it! :smiley: In addition, Jude will be moderating a seminar as well:

Digital Signal Processing (DSP) In Headphones: Stigma or Solution?
Oct 5 @ 4:15 pm – 5:15 pm
Speakers: Paul Barton (PSB & NAD); Mario Gebhardt (beyerdynamic); Sankar Thiagasamudrum (Audeze)
With technology advancing at a relentless pace, acoustic pioneers are now incorporating innovative DSP methods in their quest to offer us greater fidelity — and more. This begs the question: Can DSP improve the listening experience for dyed-in-the-wool audio purists? Join these industry leaders to discuss how DSP is reshaping the audio of the future.

While I am not moderating that seminar, I will be attending it. So if you have any questions for that panel, I can attempt to ask them by proxy as well.

RMAF seminars are always a good time, and I have rarely come away from one without being intrigued, entertained, or both! I imagine that this year's seminars will meet with that tradition, and I looking forward to seeing what questions you guys might have...
so post 'em if ya got 'em! :slight_smile:

Sep 30, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #1,162 of 1,303
Is there an RMAF impressions thread yet? Tried searching for it but came up empty.

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #1,163 of 1,303
My CanJam @ RMAF Audition Tracks!

Greetings all! As CanJam @ RMAF is swiftly approaching, I wanted to introduce myself and share some test tracks that I’ve been listening to and playlisting in anticipation of the event.

I’ve been increasingly interested in audiophilia since I attended a SoCal meet with an ex-boyfriend several years ago. I have always loved music passionately and to be exposed to so much awesome gear and enthusiastic people in one place got me hooked!

I’ve been lurking for a long time, but decided to jump in with some of my playlist tracks as I find that many of the more commonly known tracks have become pretty stale (Hotel California anyone?). I wanted to share some alternatives to the same-old same-old that I’ll be using to test gear with in a couple weeks in Denver.

So without further ado, here’s some music I've been utilizing as test tracks!

YxyKUR8.jpg

Sub-Bass:
“When I Grow Up”
By Fever Ray
From Fever Ray

For fans of moody electronica, Fever Rey’s 2009 eponymous debut album is full of sonic excursions. I’ve been using “When I Grow Up” as a test for sub-bass due to the ever-present deep bass beats present throughout the track, as well as the bass drop at 1:28. In particular, the initial synth bass sequence sounds dull and subdued on lower-end gear, whereas a good rig brings impact and power to this track’s sub-bass elements.

8mxx5pQ.jpg

Bass:
“Wake Me When I’m Dead”
By The Brand New Heavies
From Heavy Rhyme Experience, Vol. 1

Just like its title states, this album is truly a heavy foray into jazz, funk and rap fusion. Aside from being a superb album to listen to with good mixing and mastering, “Wake Me When I’m Dead” is a great option for testing bass. It is a percussive and bass-centric track, and the bass guitar on this track should sound textured, with the fierce kick drum packing a punch. Neither of these occur in lesser headphone rigs.

aXIArq5.jpg

Mids:
“You Are The Everything”
By R.E.M.
From Green (Remastered)

The magic of this epic track is tied up in Stipe's vocals, the mandolin, and those back porch cricket sounds bringing to mind a starry night in Athens, GA. The song features a lilting mandolin and nuanced bass line that tends to sound diminished on a lower-end setup, falling beneath Michael Stipe’s vocals, which then lack richness. However, a listen on a better rig elevates and enhances instrument and vocal levels, and thus restoring the magic in its mids.

SyXU6Iv.jpg

Highs:
“La cascate di Viridiana”
By Goblin
From Il fantastico viaggio del "bagarozzo" Mark

My introduction to Goblin began with an obsession over Dario Argento’s classic Giallo horror film Suspiria, one of several Argento films that was scored by Goblin. Combining elements of prog-rock and jazz, Goblin’s sound is weird yet fantastical, but always ambitious. On lesser gear, the highs in “La cascate di Viridiana” can lose coherency and roll off severely: synths, cymbals and chimes blend into a limpid soup lacking in definition. By contrast, better gear will reproduce these highs clearly with air to spare, conveying an ethereal realism that adds magic to the track.

3xZ9rbR.jpg

Detail:
“Eminence Front”
By The Who
From It’s Hard

The first time I heard “Eminence Front” on a good rig, I experienced that most sublime and most common of audiophile cliches -- I heard something that I had never heard before. With a detailed listening rig: (a) the synths should sound clear; (b) the lead guitar is electrifying; and (c) Townsend’s vocals are richer, more natural, and delivered with a visceral texture. By contrast, lower-end gear will make those elements sound veiled, blurry, and even smeared to a degree. If you’re not getting goosebumps listening to “Eminence Front” then your rig could probably use some improvement. Either that or you don’t like The Who, in which case I can’t help you.

a65LiZw.jpg

Separation:
“Bye Bye Blackbird”
By Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock, Paul Motian
From At The Deer Head Inn

There are few recording challenges as difficult as capturing distinct elements than a live recording. And yet, on better gear, I can almost see Jarrett’s piano, Motian’s brushwork, and Peacock’s plucking clearly and distinctly. Even Jarrett’s seemingly haphazard scat rising above random audience contributions (drinks clinking, clapping and occasional chair scooting) seems to be an instrument all in and of itself. By contrast, these elements lack definition when played back on lesser gear.

B8dCBmf.jpg

Soundstage:
“I Believe In You (1997 Remastered Version)”
By Talk Talk
From Spirit of Eden

Being one of my favorite albums, I’ve had the opportunity to hear this track on many different setups. On lesser gear that isn’t good at conveying space and air, the track tends to sound small and cramped, with musical elements that are pushed together. Listening with a good rig, however, the track opens like a blossoming flower. The myriad instrumental elements flourish, and the vocals come to life, enveloping the listener in a vibrant and magical soundstage that low-end gear can only hint at.

XPjunvK.jpg

Imaging:
“My ****’s ****ed Up”
By Warren Zevon
From Life’ll Kill Ya

Such a well-crafted song, “My ****’s ****ed Up” demanded excellent mastering. Kudos to famed mastering engineer Greg Calbi for the feat of capturing this intimate studio session for all posterity with tremendous naturalness. I get the sense the track was recorded in a small studio space, and yet I can still place Zevon and his players huddled around him, distinctly and easily. On lesser gear, the imaging tends to become fuzzier, and just a bit hazy. A good rig will truly reveal the story of the music with a strong sense of presence, turning a hauntingly beautiful song into something much more personal to the listener.

YYysS1j.jpg

Overall:
“This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)”
By Talking Heads
From Stop Making Sense: Special New Edition

Without the controlled environment of a studio recording session, concert recordings are notoriously finicky. Thankfully, Stop Making Sense captures the essence of Talking Heads and a sweet moment in time. It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest concert recordings, having been recorded, mixed and mastered incredibly well. And with the the right setup, it shines. With “This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody)” I feel as if I'm there witnessing this moment in musical history.

My Tidal playlist containing the tracks above can be accessed HERE.

And that’s wrap! Thanks for reading my first post, especially if you made it this far.

I’d love to hear what you’ve been listening to as well, so feel free to share your CanJam test track lists in the thread (unless of course they are strictly Diana Krall).

I’ll be at CanJam @ RMAF in a couple weeks, and would be happy to discuss music/gear, and do some listening with my fellow Head-Fi’ers. See y’all soon!!
Nice!

Good to see some Fever Rey. Like many others I first heard of her from googling the title track on Vikings, where I also discovered Wardruna :)

Sep 30, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,164 of 1,303
Yes, hot toes and a**. See you all there.
Jim! Long time not hearing from you!
It’s going to be nice to see you again brother!

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 30, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #1,166 of 1,303
What's the parking like at the Marriott? Do they charge to park there? If so, any recommendations for nearby places to park that might be free? Is there street parking?

Sep 30, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #1,167 of 1,303
Any Questions?

Attention All Head-Fiers! I will be moderating two fun seminars at RMAF this year. And regardless of whether you're coming to CanJam @ RMAF or not, you can participate! :relaxed: But how???

As many of you know, RMAF seminars are captured on video, and subsequently uploaded at a later date. This means that, even if you aren't able to make it to RMAF, you can still ask a question (through me), and have it answered for your viewing pleasure later! Time and appropriateness permitting, I can be your proxy, and ask your questions on your behalf. Here are the seminars that I will be moderating:

Do Earphones Now Rival Full-Size Headphones in Performance?
Sun Oct 7 @ 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Speakers: Karl Cartwright (Westone); Matt Engstrom (Shure); Mario Gebhardt (beyerdynamic); Sankar Thiagasamudrum (Audeze)
In-ear headphones may have surpassed traditional headphones in terms of market share, but are they able to offer the comparable performance that audiophiles demand? This session will discuss this question in-depth, looking at the designs and driver technologies that are pushing earphone performance to higher ground.

The 2018 Headphone Audio AMA — Ask The Experts
Sat Oct 6 @ 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Speakers: Paul Barton (PSB & NAD); Dan Clark (MrSpeakers); Nicolas Debard (Focal); Thorsten Loesch (iFi Audio)
Do you want to know about the secret sauce behind your favorite headphone audio products? Most importantly, would you like a sneak peek at the exciting landscape ahead? Bring all of your burning questions to The 2018 Headphone Audio AMA's all-star panel!
I'm going to try to attend the seminars this year, but in case I don't, I'm curious about these two question for any and/or both panels:
When it comes to getting the sense of space from headphones/earphones, what is the main contribution to the perceived sound? Is it the transducers' size and/or amount of air it can move (in which headphones would have the clear advantage over in-ear earphones), is it the frequency response (in which in-ear earphones could match headphones), or is it more complicated?

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #1,168 of 1,303
I'm going to try to attend the seminars this year, but in case I don't, I'm curious about these two question for any and/or both panels:
When it comes to getting the sense of space from headphones/earphones, what is the main contribution to the perceived sound? Is it the transducers' size and/or amount of air it can move (in which headphones would have the clear advantage over in-ear earphones), is it the frequency response (in which in-ear earphones could match headphones), or is it more complicated?
Take a look,at this page and watch their video

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/sound-quality/soundstage

Oct 1, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,170 of 1,303
Hm, that is interesting. I'm curious as to what the experts think.

Specifically Sankar and/or Thorsten might be able to chime in on this topic since Sankar representing Audeze has fantastic DSP for their Mobius (which I love), and Thorsten representing iFi Audio has great a great analog crossfeed effect through their 3D+ enabled devices. From my experiences through these effects (or even something like the Smyth Realiser), the soundstage is frequency-response dependent. However if this is the case, why don't in-ears sound similar to full-sized headphones in this regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back