CanJam Dallas 2023 Impressions Thread (November 11-12, 2023)
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #286 of 300
Looking forward to it! If we get just the vendors that came this year, it will be a great time, but maybe some of the vendors that skipped this year to go to Capitol Audio fest will come to Dallas instead. I always love listening to the cool stuff Dan Clark Audio brings, so hopefully we can get them to come enjoy some beef ribs and brisket next year!

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #287 of 300
Awesome report, I’d love to be able to try a bunch of different amps with my cans. Any chance of an Ohio can jam? Columbus?

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #288 of 300
Another CanJam inspired upgrade happened today. I kept checking out @gingerFi 's Auteurs and I was jealous that she had a band that was colored on both sides, and mine was green on the top, black on the bottom. I was really jealous and wished mine was double sided olive green. So I wrote to Kevin at ZMF through their site, and he hooked me up with a double sided green. I think it looks way better! I should have take before/after, but since the band was supposed to arrive 3 days ago (USPS a bit slow this time of year), I was chomping at the bit to do the mod as soon as I got it. So here's a few shots of the (purely cosmetic) upgrade. I love it!
20231211_143038.jpg
20231211_143114.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #289 of 300
Here's a before with the black underside. I feel like the color got lost underneath the crescent strap. It was too subtle. Now it pops a bit more.
20230619_193402.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #290 of 300
SAVE THE DATES! CanJam Dallas 2024 will take place on November 2-3, 2024, once again at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria!

great news!!!

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #291 of 300
I’ve posted in the NYC 2024 thread but haven’t had a chance to post here: Dallas 2023 was a blast! I’ve been trying to go to CanJam since…. Well 2011. So glad I finally got to go! Some pics of some interesting standouts for me.

1x Jam down, another on the way. Can’t wait!

Attachments

• IMG_3158_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3158_Original.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3106_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3106_Original.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 13, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #292 of 300
Howdy all... Just home from Canjam Dallas. This was my first Canjam since SoCal 2017. It was time to go once again. @warrenpchi it was great to meet you and to share the same space for a moment or two. @jude thank you for the spirited conversation. Nice to meet folks with Michigan roots and that connection always makes me feel comfortable. I miss my home, but Utah it is for now. Thank you to the Head-Fi team for a great time. I will write more tomorrow, but wanted to put some of my highlights up. Eyal, it was also great to see you and to visit with you for a few moments. I am not a member of your watercooler gang, I am not much for joining, but I like that this type of stuff is going on and I enjoyed your seminar.

One of my favorite parts of the show was learning that my system sounds as good or better than most of what I heard. However, I did hear a few things that left a lasting impression.

DCS: My highlight was how professional, organized, knowledgeable and enthusiastic they were about their products. Without question, the best dynamic headphone system I heard at the show was the Rossini Apex with Lina Clock and Lina Amp. That DAC is just ridiculous. The low level detail is off the charts, and the tone is flat out special. I used my own D8K Pro for this listening session and left with my jaw on the floor. Same went for the Bartok Apex with Lina Clock and Amp. I used my D8K Pro for that session as well had similar feelings, albeit not quite to the same level as the Rossini. That DAC is truly something else. The Lina stack DID NOT blow me away with the Lina running as DAC. It sounded good to great, but so does a lot of other things for significantly less money. If I had the money for something like that I would go straight to the Rossini Apex. That is without question the best DAC I have ever heard.

Schiit: I absolutely loved the Mjolnir 3 with Yggy and the Empy 2 and then the Grado 3000X. The Mjolnir 3 is a proper amp and I will buy one. I loved Jason's comment when I complimented him on its sonics, "now I have to figure out how to make more items that sound like the Mjolnir 3". Jason, I agree. It is definitely a winning formula. I absolutely loved it. It had the perfect amount of wetness, detail and saturation with impeccable pacing. It gets hot, but not so hot that it is dangerous. It just flat out sounds fantastic.

Warwick Aperio: This was the first thing I listened to, and remained the best thing I heard all weekend. It is worth every penny and the sound is full, alive, balanced, subtle and crystal clear. It does none of this without missing musicality. Bravo Team Warwick for one of the best 15 minutes of listening my ears have experienced.

Ferrum Stack with Meze Empy 2 : For those who have heard the Hypsos/Oor you know already that it is a serious piece of kit. The addition of the Wandla was just awesome. There is absolutely no etch, no ESS glare and as a collective whole you will be hard pressed for $6000 to find a better stack. It sounds that great!

ZMF: I would be remiss to not mention my friends in the ZMF room showing off their wares. Having reviewed everything on the table but the bokeh and the new JPS collab amp, I was just happy to see old friends and have them show me around. I did get to hear the MayKTE stock with Bliss hooked to a Caldera which was fantastic. And I got to finally hear the Envy. Which I also loved, but if I am being honest I like my Aficionado more. Customer service was second to none as always, and there is always someone there to help, answer questions or just sit down and visit. Thank you for welcoming me and for allowing me to hear your products. My favorite thing in the ZMF room was Keenan's Aegis hooked to a Cambridge DAC/Streamer with my favorite ZMF the Atrium Open. That was a special listen, and I can see what all the fuss is about. That amp throws a sound stage that is magical while never being out of balance with the low end or treble. This was a definite highlight of the show.

Mass Kobo 433 w/ Chord Qutest: For a supposedly underpowered solid state amp, the combo of 433 and Qutest was special. That amp is coming at you from all angles, with a sturdy foundation and a articulate midrange allowing for soloing instruments to take flight and to enter your space whichever way they want and whichever way they are being played. For $2500 that might be one of the best deals on the planet.

I did hear the CFA3 with the Tungsten double sided magnets which sounded great. But, I must admit that I would take my own CFA3 with my Code X any day of the week. The CFA3 sounds similar to mine, but not quite the same. Which I attribute to mine having an eternal power supply. Nonetheless, I think when they are able to get them into production you will have a lot of happy customers.

One last shout out to the Dunu table who was incredibly accommodating, and I think I will buy an SA6 MK2. I loved the way it sounded, the way it fit and felt it would be a great addition in that price range to my portable offerings.

I will write more later. But for now, this is a good intro into my weekend. The team at Bloom were great, as was the team at Mimic. In fact everyone was great to meet and talk audio with. The only think I was really hoping to like but didn't was the MicroZOTL Electro Stat with the Carbon. I was underwhelmed to say the least. It sounded thin, bass light and not my preferences.

I was bummed to not see some other vendors. JH audio, Headamp, Hifiman, among others. I wanted to hear the Prelude. Another time, I guess... More tomorrow with a full review, although this is pretty complete.

Cheers,
Geoff
Nice summary!

As a D8K lover, I appreciated that you used it to evaluate these big buck sources (yes, the D8K is that good).

Nice also to go to Dallas in December, not July or August, as I've done too many times...

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #293 of 300
Nice summary!

As a D8K lover, I appreciated that you used it to evaluate these big buck sources (yes, the D8K is that good).

Nice also to go to Dallas in December, not July or August, as I've done too many times...
Thanks Peter... I split up the trip. I worked in Dallas at our restaurants on Thursday and Friday and then stayed for the festivities. I need to finish my overview, I didn't get to all the stuff I tried. But, yes the D8K Pro is still the best Planar I have heard and my favorite headphone. It sounded glorious on the Mjolnir 3 (Schiit really nailed that amp), the Ferrum stack with Wandla DAC, the Bliss, and the Rossini Apex with Lina stuff. I also loved it on the Mass Kobo stuff..

Nice summary!

I updated my impressions to include my entire weekend. It is on page 5 for those who are interested. Thanks again Peter!

great news!!!
Indeed! I can pair with work and make this another memorable weekend. I hope it maintains the same chill vibe but with more vendors. Pretty please!!!

Dec 15, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #294 of 300
Indeed! I can pair with work and make this another memorable weekend. I hope it maintains the same chill vibe but with more vendors. Pretty please!!!
Happy Hanukkah my friend! Just read your impressions today! Good stuff.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #295 of 300
SAVE THE DATES! CanJam Dallas 2024 will take place on November 2-3, 2024, once again at the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum by the Galleria!
Yes!!!! I was so hoping for this!

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #296 of 300
Happy Hanukkah my friend! Just read your impressions today! Good stuff.
Thanks Matt. Merry Christmas and a wonderful family few weeks.... so glad you are back into this world...

Yes!!!! I was so hoping for this!
Just looked at your about page. Great taste in music Mr ZMF fanboy. You need an Atrium for that 300B monster...

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #297 of 300
This was my first Can Jam. I strongly urge anyone in DFW who didn't attend today to attend tomorrow. I had high hopes, but it was even more fun and engaging than I expected.

Before I jump into the day, just wanted to respond to one of the questions about Focal and Susvara. Everything under the sun wasn't there, but for me, it covered more than I could handle in one full day. Although Focal and Hifiman didn't have exhibits, I found a Utopia and Susvara to audition.

When CanJam opened at 10AM, I started at the Bloom Audio booth and was one of the lucky ones who got a B/A goodie bag. I also had a chance to compare the DX320 Max with my personal DX300 Max. I liked the DX320 Max a bit more than my DX300, but it was only slightly better.

Then I ended up at the Chord booth for a long time, trying out the Dave and the TT Scaler and had a nice long conversation with Rob Watts. Since I use a Hugo 2 as the DAC in my main system, I really enjoyed the chance to test out the Dave with and without the scaler. Not surprisingly, the scaler makes a significant difference.

Then, it was off to the DCS room. Everyone there was very helpful and humble about such expensive gear. I spent a long time with the Lina stack, the Bartok (with Apex and headphone amp) and the Rossini (with the Lina Amp). It was an audiophile moment. I listened to the same song about 20 times comparing all three. All day I used my DCA Stealth's as my reference headphone and as I moved up the chain, the Stealth continued to be more resolving with the DCS systems. DCS also had lots of high-end headphones, including the Susvara, Abyss TC, LCD5, Meze Elites, and others. I could have spent the whole day in the DCS room.

Since I have some Verite Open's and the Pendant SE, I took a few minutes to thank Zach for my one-of-a-kind ZMF headphones. The ZMF room was full of headphones, amps, and dacs, and there was lots of energy in the room.

I didn't realize it was past lunchtime, and as I walked down the hall, I noticed someone holding four boxes of Zoli's pizza, which is my favorite pizza in Dallas. I asked if I could have a slice and ended up eating lunch with some of the head-fi'ers running the show. I got to test out Ethan's UM Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor IEM's and his Hiby RS8, which were both incredible.

After lunch, I caught the tail end of Jason Stoddard's seminar and chatted with him for a few minutes afterwards. I thanked him for all the Schiit in my house and, as expected, he was nice and down-to-earth.

Then, I stumbled into the Kinera booth. I tried the Loki and it was very special, and then Sebastian let me audition the prototype Verdandi. I liked the Verdandi so much, I wanted to buy the prototype. It felt like I could listen to the Verdandi all day long without my ears hurting, since everything was smooth, without losing punch and refinement. It's on the top of my IEM wish list.

I had chatted with another attendee earlier in the morning and he told me not to miss the Warwick Acoustics booth. Warwick had a cool soundproof booth and they have two electrostatic headphones, with bundled amp/dacs. The Bravura (about $6k) and the Aperio (starting at about $33k) were in the booth for audition. The Bravura was the first electrostatic headphone I tried, and as I auditioned a selection of tracks, almost everything sounded good. Even poorly recorded or bright 1980's tracks, sounded good. Then I moved up to the Aperio and it was by far the nicest headphone I've ever auditioned (dream wish list!). I'm not sure how to describe it, but if that's all I listened to at Can Jam, it would have been worth the trip. At one point, I was listening to a track from The New Sound of Maria Callas singing Carmen and I thought the sound was coming from somewhere in the room, rather than from the headphones.

I didn't mention lots of other interesting conversations and listening experiences. Overall, a great day. Thanks to everyone who was there!
Which one was more incredible Kinera Loki, Mest 3 or Mentor in terms of resolution and technicalities? :)

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #299 of 300
Still missing LCDR. While imperfect, it’ll continue to live rent-free.

Dunu Mirai, the Noble Xmems wired IEM, and Creative Ace2 Pro were also standout listens in my book. And of course: STORM

Feb 17, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #300 of 300
So how was the turn out? I guess enough to schedule another show for November this year. I'll definitely have that scheduled. I got wrapped up in work this year and some bad planning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back