CanJam Dallas 2023 Impressions Thread (November 11-12, 2023)
Nov 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #151 of 300
DAC like Yggdrasil need some warm up time and may be the reason why the combo including such DAC may sound bright and shrill to begin with. In controlled env with good source these DACs perform better.

Not sure if Schiit used the MIB or the OG A2 with the MJ3. Both DACs will be bright with those to my taste especially when they were powered down for a couple of hours and just being warmed up for the show. The LIM with MJ3 is really balanced to me though (not too relaxed nor aggressive, neither bright nor rolled-off)

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #152 of 300

Unexpected Learnings from CanJam Dallas​

Dallas was my second CanJam experience and my first since the pandemic. Tons of fun and of course I heard wonderful 'phones and electronics that I yearn for. Add me to the lists of ZMF and Stax admirers. But I want to share some unexpected learnings:
  • Pads matter more than I thought reasonable
  • Mid-fi can be made Muscular
  • Small can be mighty
PADS: So after a chat with Dylan of Dekoni, I came home thinking more about pads and decided to try my Shure Alcantara pads on my cult-classic Oppo PM3 cans, which had the protein leather pads that gave out long ago. Um, the sound wasn't just worse, it was awful: thin bass and tonally weird mid-range. OK, I put the Brainwavz leather that are a tad too large back on and sent a plea to Dylan to consider we Oppo impoverished. But then I realized I have Dekoni velour on my AKG Q701 - maybe, just maybe, the hybrids will do better?! We live in hope.
Mid-fi MADE MUSCULAR: I visited the room for some very high end planars and had the opportunity to listen through electronics worth a commensurate bundle. No doubt impressive. And then I thought "Wait! How will my sub-$1000 planars sound through this awesome DAC and tube Amp combo?" Super fine my friends. It was as if I took a walk-friendly dog off the leash and saw just how fast he could run. The improvements were not at the ends of the frequency band, not brighter treble or deeper bass. Rather, the sense of authority and clarity throughout the range, coupled with a realistic-sounding soundstage from my planars that don't soundstage like that at home - all those elements together nearly made me gasp. I now understand the common phrase among YT reviewers of "You won't get the best from (these new) headphones running them off a dongle, but you COULD get a nice listen." There are layers of experience beyond mid-fi electronics.
SMALL BUT MIGHTY: Then, just to put the lie to my (generally true) statement about dongles, I had my first experience with the Chord Mojo. The hype is real, 'nuff said. I do love my new HiBy R3 II and it surely improves over the older version, but the Mojo is in a completely different class.
Now, it's not that you more experienced listeners haven't tried to tell me all this in reviews and comments, but hearing was believing at CanJam Dallas. I'm very glad I went. Happy listening to y'all.

Nov 14, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #154 of 300
Speaking of, I can't be the only one who would love a PNW CanJam like Seattle/Bellevue/Portland... absolutely gorgeous in the summer. :)

This is the way. ZMF & Bottlehead Crackatwoa OTL [upgraded] is just about as good as I've been able to find. In this hobby, moar $$$$ != moar better.
i have a crackatwoa in a box waiting to be made. i was curious which ZMF is your favorite on it. i have an aeolus on a crack with speedball and went to canjam with the hopes to upgrade.

i was so indecisive when listening to them at the show because they are all great. i was sure i was going to get an AC… then i fell in love with the VC… then i gave another try to the AO on the OTLs and finally understood what people were saying about it. i basically have no idea how to decide, but i know the amp will be a crackatwoa.

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #155 of 300
What a great weekend! I loved Dallas CanJam and would totally do it again. Next time I should probably leave the credit card at home though. :money_mouth: With the amount of time and money spent there, I figured I'd make a profile and write up my impressions, coming in a later post.
Hey! I know you!

Nov 14, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #156 of 300
My third Canjam this year! (NYC, SoCal, and now Dallas). Of the entire show, I tried some headphones and IEMs. Below are my notable listens, with the new Noble K-XM 1 being my favorite listen of the show.

-DUNU Glacier (tribrid config but forgot which): More or less neutral tonality (thinking IEF neutral) with subbass lift. Some unevenness in the upper mids and lower treble that would be mostly my complaint. Overall, good dynamics and resolution of the asking price of $1500. Sounded like a better version of the LetShuoer Cadenza 12 but in a stainless steel shell instead of a titanium one.

-Creative Aurvana Ace2 TWS iem (DD + xMEMs): Tonally quirky, feels scooped in lower mids and there's a peak at 4 Khz that makes certain vocals really forward and exaggerated, the bass shelf is large and generous and treble after 6 KHz was really damn near linearly downsloped and pleasant to my ears. Technicality wise, I thought it was pretty resolving for the price and the bass had some nice impact and texture. I asked how much it cost and the two guys (really great vibes from them, felt like a pair of chill dudes) and they said $150 usd. They showed me a QR code to purchase them and I did, can't wait to get them in December for further listening and measurements!

-Noble Audio K-XM 1 (also DD + xMEMs): Tonally good, sounded like IEF neutral with bass boost, the upper mids and treble are shaped nicely and there wasn't much uneveness or unbalanced sounds other than a mild mid-treble peak (8khz maybe?). Technically speaking, I was pretty impressed with the dynamics and resolution of this pair of iems that are only powered off the attached USB-C connector. When I saw the price, my eyes kinda went wide in amazement, pretty impressive performance for the price of $700 USD. This is my favorite IEM from the noble lineup.

Off my listening of 5 minutes, this competes around the Symphonium Helios level which is my $1K benchmark for iems. The downsides I can see with this IEM is that it's fully sealed (not vented) so I can hear the DD flex a bit when I was adjusting the shell in my ears. I'm curious how this will hit the market because the only way to drive these iems are through the USB-C dongle so there's no way to roll this IEM with a DAP or any other source at the moment. Hoping Noble the best, I'll see if I can snag a pair of these in the future.
1700011213295.png

Show conclusion: I liked this show! It obviously wasn't as big as SoCal or NYC but the attendance was pretty good and everyone I spoke to was quite happy that they were able to try everything they wanted without having to wait very long. Sound-wise I'm quite happy with the two IEMs I've tried with the xMEMs driver, I'm curious to see if other companies will follow suit and what other products they'll release using this new driver. Hoping for a Dallas Canjam 2024!

Nov 14, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #157 of 300
Helow.

Firstly, please forgive for not looking as lovely as my pfp.

Now, with much turmoil and rigorous debate on how I would comprise my thoughts, I have concluded I shall only relay standout impressions and differences from expectation compared to what I have read about. As there are multiple number of variables at play such as music preference, sources, beliefs, show conditions, etc. I must stress that most all, with a few exceptions, were serviceable and enjoyed and that no one should take my particular 10 minute opinion seriously without proper context. There was mostly no outright bad, just bad synergies IMO. All can be built upon with some help.

A bit of background on my journey for those uninitiated with my history.. I am a relative newb since 2020 into hobby coming from breakbeat, jungle, dub, hip hop, R&B and previously pop hater to recently lover of pop vocals due to journey. I am also eq and HQ Player enjoyer and very limited tube experience. So, if these offend, feel free to pass on by or ignore if you haven't already.

Lastly, I index heavily on an experience beyond sonics. Where frisson and tears come from the cadence of notes or passage that reaches deep within the heart and amygdala area, emanating goosebumps and inducing the urge to tear up from the sense of heartache but in good euphoric way. Quite the ridiculous phenomenon and does not come easily for me. I can break the effect easily and it can be replicated repeatedly with the specific HQP DSD1024 settings including convolution. Hardly available but I did try the 1024 filters on iDSD Pro and they were unremarkable in comparison by themselves.
With that being said, I shall keep to basics of overall synergy of the show stack and tonality because I didn't feel much else would do justice to each phone or component in such short time.
I came on a mission to find something, anything that would either match or surpass my setup, even for less. This was going to be either a futile endeavor or enlightening revelation on possibilities and was hoping to be blown away but was prepared to be disappointed.

HE1 - Great imaging and first estat heard. Open sequence is by far the trickest as you know and is deserving of the mystique. Well balanced with just a touch of estat airyness I have read about. Very comfortable and along with HD800 headband is one of the better designs I have encountered. I would have liked to try a different dac and filtering though for scalability but an otherwise excellent combination of sonic and theatrics. Thanks again to @ericpalonen for hosting!​

Aperio - Same as above in sonics, second estat and not as noticeable estaty traits that stood out. Great sound signature as an all in one unit. Could be helped with dac or alternate filters but presentation was spot on. A tad clampy but still comfortable. Trading blows for one box stop as HE1.​

Bravura - Tried black unit in isolated booth. I think this was malfunctioning as I was maxxed out on the pot and it sounded off. Tried to increase volume on tablet but didn't try my phone.​
Maxwell - With Audeze eq it was decent tonality and serviceable for bluetooth. More comfortable than the weight suggests. I could see myself using this for work and might pick one up when available again.​
Susvara - Finally got to hear the fabled can and on a modest Lina stack. I can see why they are so well liked with really pleasant tone and presence. One of the better experiences of the show with this pairing. Again, one of those instances where it could use some help but was closest to the sound I am after as a plug and play experience for non eq'ers.​

D8KPLE - I tried on CFA3 and HA200, good and comfortable on both, nothing stood out though on this encounter. Wish there was better source.​

Nutopia - Tried with Chord Anni and Qutest as well as Lina stack and same as above. Didn't notice any outstanding punch often described with dynamics. Again, would have liked to try on tubes but didn't get a chance.​

HD800 - Lina stack, these sounded ok and didn't have the soundstage width often described. Again, no tubes like sometimes suggested.​

Atrium - Tried on Lina, Envy and Decware Reference, sounded good overall but could sense the 6k peak although not offensive. Not as incisive as I am used to and presentation seemed to set the stage out but wasn't as cohesive of a result as is.​

HD600/650/660S2 -All these were on the HDV 820 and sounded good for the price as a previous 6XX owner, just pick your poison. Usual mid bass presence and noticeable roll off.​

CRBN - As this was co-launched with LCD5 I have always wondered what this was like. I heard both units on Z10E but one at Audeze was through Bricasti M3 and one at LTA booth was on DX320 Max. These were the most estaty estats I heard and don’t know if this was normal. The treble tilt was more than I was expecting and read about. Also the bass having been said is good for estat was overshadowed here. These both were disappointing.​

X9000 - Metaxas Ethereal amp and Musician Pegasus was pretty good together as far as signature. No brightness as 009S and CRBN. Good bass grip for estat.​

009S - Also on Z10E with typical estaty brightness presentation but better balance than CRBN.​

Empy 2 - On Lina, SPL Phonitor XE, CFA3 and Z10E, bright tilt compared to Elite that is more balanced. Excellent aesthetics and comfort with build and the best stems in the business.​
Elite - On Lina and Velo was a good listen. Preferred Lina stack over Velo. Better tonal balance, bass and clarity over the rest of Meze.​

Philphone - Good instance of a bassy dynamic. Had a satisfying amount while retaining good clarity. A great option for bassheads looking for something fun, super lightweight. Much thanks to @Zerousen for allowing me the opportunity to audition.​

Arya - HA200, not sure which version this was but it was all black, immediately noticed the treble referred to as Hifiman sound.​

Empy - On CA1000 was mid bass focused and slightly less bass weight to other Meze's.​

Liric - On Lina it was fine, had ample bass for closed back wasn't best balance up top. 2nd least techs of Meze lineup I tried but one of the sexiest headphones I have seen.​

Caldera - Tried on Envy, Lina, Z10E, Marquis, decent for a planar as far as techs but also didn't stand out in any areas for me at any stations.​
Verite Open - Same as above on Lina, sounded good.​
109 Pro - Not sure if this was Pro or Pro Primal maybe someone can chime in. I tried on HA200. Decent tonality but lacking in techs and imaging compared to kilobucks. Great comfort.​

1266 TC - Fabled apparent bass king on WA33 was also decent. The comfort was ok and better than I imagined but I kinda had to press them against my head for a seal even with the head piece all the way together. The warbly bass when pulled apart was jarring and first time I heard this on a head phone. Another alleged soundstage king but felt this was overexaggerated and needed help in the mids.​

Atrium Closed - On Lina and Envy was decent for closed, good sense of closed punch with typical mid bass tilt.​
Urd - This was the third Kinera I tried at the table and the most pleasing tonality for me as I think the Loki was suffering from cable or phase issues. The second bone conduction one I didn't catch the name was ok but also the bone conduction was weird. Probably need better examples to really trial before much more.​

Odin - Good amount of satisfying bass as graphed but overall preferred Storm.​

Storm - First IEM heard since i4 if you count that as one but I know most don't. This was quite good and met expectations. Great bass and touch of inoffensive air. This would absolutely be a contender if I were in the market. Special thanks to @tamtrum for the opportunity to listen to these after concerted effort to stop him from passing by myself and @bagofolives .​

Legend Evo - This was odd as I read it had some good bass but while it did, it tilted a hint brighter for me compared to Odin.​

Raven - This was even brighter than Legend Evo but still a pleasant listen. Preferred Odin out of three Empire Ears I tried.​

Spirit Valkyria/Pulsar/Centauri - On Shanling M30S, these all had a similar house sound that was very unique. Sounded like they were trying to tune them to mimic a warm and pillowy sound but came off as kinda grainy at same time. Shallow pads had driver area touching ear. Much different from everything else I have heard but not for me in these instances.​

My LCD-5​
On Lina stack it was good but nothing standout, still enjoyable and right there with Dave/Mscaler​
With the Metaxas & Sins Marquis, same as above​
With Dave & Mscaler it was good and comparable to Holo stack in NOS mode or PCM filtering.​
On Schitt stack (MIB/Loki/MJ3) it was good and slightly behind the Marquis and Pegusus pairing.​
On Rossini Apex, Lina clock and amp it exhibited good bass control and resolve but cycling though the different filters didn't find one that hit the spot.​

LCD-5 - LTA provided on Z10E was hobbled by 2 bad cables. I couldn't use mine as it's XLR. Both black single ended mini xlr's there were wonky and I think out of phase and had channel imbalance. I tried one with mine as it was single ended and asked the local cable guy from Prosper Cables for another and he found one of the black Audeze ones and it was fine. When I plugged their LCD-5 with the other same style cable as the one I tried mine with on the Z10E, it was the same thing with phase issue.​
Either way, the Velo nor Z10E was not a good paring with theirs or mine with the good cable.​
**Tungsten** forgot these...
Since Justin said CFA3 was set to mid gain, I feel these were in line with others with single sided being brighter than double and single was harder to drive. I was maxxed out on CFA3 pot and the pot internals were twisting inside. Overall double was preferred over single but was hardly optimized so it was just pleasant and nothing stand out for me. Finish was good for preventing fingerprints though.​
Overall, great first CJ down and looking forward to next whenever it will be. I wish I was better prepared and had more time along with more vendors to try. We shall meet again I am sure. Great meeting everyone including above and @jude @warrenpchi @joe @Sebastien Chiu @PcChip @driftingbunnies @JacobLTA @dCS James Humble and Kai don't know your handles.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #158 of 300
Not sure if Schiit used the MIB or the OG A2 with the MJ3. Both DACs will be bright with those to my taste especially when they were powered down for a couple of hours and just being warmed up for the show. The LIM with MJ3 is really balanced to me though (not too relaxed nor aggressive, neither bright nor rolled-off)
The MJ3 at CanJam was using the MIB Yiggy. Sounds like they are wanting that to be their flagship Yiggy since the OG is going to be phased out.

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #159 of 300
The MJ3 at CanJam was using the MIB Yiggy. Sounds like they are wanting that to be their flagship Yiggy since the OG is going to be phased out.

Now I'm so curious if Jason has the 001 Serial number lol since I have the second unit out of the production. The MIB is definitely a bit different than the OG and is closer to LIM to my ears but it's not as simple as being a brighter LIM since even the tone is slightly different between the two flavors.

Nov 14, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #160 of 300
CanJam was such a great time. I never would have gone if my husband (mumbles06) hadn’t been so excited about it. I just had my first week back at work after maternity leave, so it was nice to have a mini family vacation to look forward to.

I went with entirely zero expectations of trying anything out, much less purchasing anything, thinking I’d be on mom-patrol the entire time. It was super family friendly though and everyone was incredibly welcoming to our daughters. That put me at ease, and I was able to meet so many nice people and try out some cool gear.

I will fully admit, I’m faking it ‘til I make it in the audio realm. Almost everything I know has come from osmosis, sharing an office with my husband for more than a decade. I’m not sure how much has sunk in, and I definitely have a lot to learn. I’m not historically that big into music. Most of it has never captured me. I’d rather spend my time reading a good book. But being married to Brandon, I’m spoiled with good sounding equipment, and so when I do listen to music, it has to be special for me to take the time to just sit and listen.

The room I was most excited to see was the ZMF room. Brandon always shows me their beautiful headphones (and he owns a couple himself). I couldn’t wait to see all the resins and wood stains. I truly only intended to see the eye candy. Boy, they did not disappoint at all. Even the headphones that aren’t my style are still special. @zach915m is truly an artist. It was pretty packed, but a seat opened up and I was able to try out a few headphones. Unfortunately the internet wasn’t cooperating, but Kevin was gracious enough to help me find a setup that allowed me to use my phone as my music source. I tried listening to the Calderas and a few others, but it was basically impossible to A-B them with the spotty music. When I got to a setup using my phones, I tried on the Auteur Classics. Oh my goodness. I was super impressed. I don’t like the feeling of “listening to music” and the Auteurs felt like I was gently placed in the music. They had great soundstage and it felt like my ears could breathe. I was captivated. I get listening fatigue pretty easily, so this is a huge plus for me. While listening to the Auteur Classics, Brandon made the mistake of showing me a gorgeous maroon/pink-ish pair, and I just had to put them on. They were truly stunning. I tried on a few other pairs, listening to the same songs over and over, and I just felt like I was listening to music. It sounded good, but it didn’t sound special. I finished with the Atrium Open, and it was so good, but not leaps and bounds better than the Auteurs. (Maybe the background noise affected this evaluation.) I went back to the maroon resin Auteurs and felt that connection again. At one point Katharine saw about 5 or 6 pairs of headphones in front of me and started resetting their room. I wouldn’t let her take the Auteurs from me. I think I was already sold at that point. Bevin (@BooUrns ) was so incredibly gracious when she saw how much I loved them and allowed me to take them into the big ballroom so I could demo them with other gear. Again, going in with zero intention to purchase anything much less a pair of ZMFs, I needed to sleep on it.

I did sleep on it and decided to go back first thing in the morning. I am super glad I did since I was told someone else had his eye on them. He actually came in asking about them as I was in the process of purchasing them. I did feel bad, but I felt like those headphones were made for me. They look like something I would have commissioned myself. So now I’m the proud owner of ZMF’s Auteur Classics and I am mesmerized by them. I took them around to LTA and Schiit and can’t believe how much I love them already. I can’t wait until they burn in more to see how they develop. I’m not looking forward to the credit card bill, but that’ll be next month’s problem.

Auteurs.jpg

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention all the friendly people. The guys at Schiit were so knowledgeable and helpful brainstorming solutions for my desk setup. I can’t forget the Moulton family at Noble. @FullCircle - Jim, Fumie, and Kai were so incredibly kind. Fumie even shared some of her Japanese snacks with my daughters and engaged them in conversation. The teams at Bloom and Dekoni were fantastic. Dekoni even gave my 2nd daughter a hat when the Bloom guys were all out, saving us much sanity for the car ride home by avoiding jealousy over a free hat. *The Dekoni headphone bag is awesome by the way. After buying a pair of headphones unexpectedly, I wanted a good way to transport them home. The bag is handsome and really protected them heading home. We’re thinking we’ll purchase another bag for when we head to the next hifi show.* Thanks to all the volunteers who entertained our girls by engaging them and not making them feel excluded, especially @joe . @jude met my family and welcomed us, which we really appreciated.

Overall: I’d go back again, and I hope we get the chance to. Dallas was a great location for CanJam, and I would love to make it a regular occurrence for our family to attend.

Fun day at CanJam. Spent a lot of time in the ZMF room. Zach, Bevin, Kevin and Katherine were so friendly and helpful. Came close to buying a beautiful mango Caldera, but held myself back.
I also spent a lot of time in the ZMF room, but my wallet was not as lucky. My bank account is a bit lighter now. I am pretty sure I saw the mango Calderas you're talking about. They were gorgeous!

Attachments

• Headphones.jpg
    Headphones.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #161 of 300
CanJam was such a great time. I never would have gone if my husband (mumbles06) hadn’t been so excited about it. I just had my first week back at work after maternity leave, so it was nice to have a mini family vacation to look forward to.

I went with entirely zero expectations of trying anything out, much less purchasing anything, thinking I’d be on mom-patrol the entire time. It was super family friendly though and everyone was incredibly welcoming to our daughters. That put me at ease, and I was able to meet so many nice people and try out some cool gear.

I will fully admit, I’m faking it ‘til I make it in the audio realm. Almost everything I know has come from osmosis, sharing an office with my husband for more than a decade. I’m not sure how much has sunk in, and I definitely have a lot to learn. I’m not historically that big into music. Most of it has never captured me. I’d rather spend my time reading a good book. But being married to Brandon, I’m spoiled with good sounding equipment, and so when I do listen to music, it has to be special for me to take the time to just sit and listen.

The room I was most excited to see was the ZMF room. Brandon always shows me their beautiful headphones (and he owns a couple himself). I couldn’t wait to see all the resins and wood stains. I truly only intended to see the eye candy. Boy, they did not disappoint at all. Even the headphones that aren’t my style are still special. @zach915m is truly an artist. It was pretty packed, but a seat opened up and I was able to try out a few headphones. Unfortunately the internet wasn’t cooperating, but Kevin was gracious enough to help me find a setup that allowed me to use my phone as my music source. I tried listening to the Calderas and a few others, but it was basically impossible to A-B them with the spotty music. When I got to a setup using my phones, I tried on the Auteur Classics. Oh my goodness. I was super impressed. I don’t like the feeling of “listening to music” and the Auteurs felt like I was gently placed in the music. They had great soundstage and it felt like my ears could breathe. I was captivated. I get listening fatigue pretty easily, so this is a huge plus for me. While listening to the Auteur Classics, Brandon made the mistake of showing me a gorgeous maroon/pink-ish pair, and I just had to put them on. They were truly stunning. I tried on a few other pairs, listening to the same songs over and over, and I just felt like I was listening to music. It sounded good, but it didn’t sound special. I finished with the Atrium Open, and it was so good, but not leaps and bounds better than the Auteurs. (Maybe the background noise affected this evaluation.) I went back to the maroon resin Auteurs and felt that connection again. At one point Katharine saw about 5 or 6 pairs of headphones in front of me and started resetting their room. I wouldn’t let her take the Auteurs from me. I think I was already sold at that point. Bevin (@BooUrns ) was so incredibly gracious when she saw how much I loved them and allowed me to take them into the big ballroom so I could demo them with other gear. Again, going in with zero intention to purchase anything much less a pair of ZMFs, I needed to sleep on it.

I did sleep on it and decided to go back first thing in the morning. I am super glad I did since I was told someone else had his eye on them. He actually came in asking about them as I was in the process of purchasing them. I did feel bad, but I felt like those headphones were made for me. They look like something I would have commissioned myself. So now I’m the proud owner of ZMF’s Auteur Classics and I am mesmerized by them. I took them around to LTA and Schiit and can’t believe how much I love them already. I can’t wait until they burn in more to see how they develop. I’m not looking forward to the credit card bill, but that’ll be next month’s problem.

Auteurs.jpg

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention all the friendly people. The guys at Schiit were so knowledgeable and helpful brainstorming solutions for my desk setup. I can’t forget the Moulton family at Noble. @FullCircle - Jim, Fumie, and Kai were so incredibly kind. Fumie even shared some of her Japanese snacks with my daughters and engaged them in conversation. The teams at Bloom and Dekoni were fantastic. Dekoni even gave my 2nd daughter a hat when the Bloom guys were all out, saving us much sanity for the car ride home by avoiding jealousy over a free hat. *The Dekoni headphone bag is awesome by the way. After buying a pair of headphones unexpectedly, I wanted a good way to transport them home. The bag is handsome and really protected them heading home. We’re thinking we’ll purchase another bag for when we head to the next hifi show.* Thanks to all the volunteers who entertained our girls by engaging them and not making them feel excluded, especially @joe . @jude met my family and welcomed us, which we really appreciated.

Overall: I’d go back again, and I hope we get the chance to. Dallas was a great location for CanJam, and I would love to make it a regular occurrence for our family to attend.
I really enjoyed reading your unique CanJam impressions from a parent’s point of view. I also have two elementary age daughters and have never even considered taking them to something like this. Your pleasant experience has given me hope that maybe I can attend one of these sometime in the near future. I’ve been in the hobby for almost 20 years, but I’ve never gone to a CanJam or anything similar, so I’m long overdue.

I’m also a huge ZMF fan and would love to spend some quality time with Zach, Bevin and all those beautiful headphones! I have owned lots of ZMFs over the years, but the only ones to remain are my very special Manchurian Ash Auteurs. I know you’ll enjoy your new Classics! Thanks again for taking the time to post about your experience.

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #162 of 300
My first Canjam!

I had a lot of fun just going through the gears I always wanted to listen to! Thanks to @jude @warrenpchi and the entire crew for bringing such a nice show to Texas. It was great to meet Watercooler regulars @aaf evo @wazzupi @HiFiHawaii808 @goldwerger among others. I wanted to hang out more but I was literally a kid in a toy/candy store, and didn't see anything else :sweat_smile:

While this is my first Canjam, I have been to a few shows in Japan that were more IEM-focused. This show reminded me of all the headphone fun. It was great to re-learn my old headphones and hear what the recent development has been!

Creative - I started the weekend with creative. I'm a long-time Shokz user for walking/running (and Shokz opencomm for conference calls). It was great to see a cheaper alternative from Creative. I was glad to hear that they made an effort to fix the bone conductor in the housing. Shokz tend to break loose over time. It's nice to know there's a good alternative. The xMEM TWS sounded pretty good but I don't use TWS so I really can't judge.

img8602.jpg

Noble Audio - Speaking of xMEM, Noble's USB-C wired IEM K-XM1 had a surprising bass punch and a very clear sound. Soft but pretty thick cable. Almost seems like a new genre of dongle-less USB IEM. I can see some use when I want to keep my pocket light. It was great to meet John/Fumie/Kai. I had a very nice time talking to them! Such a beautiful family!

img8605.jpg

Sennheiser - I signed up early on to get a chance to hear HE-1. It was surreal seeing the device in action which I had only seen on Youtube. The sound was very sophisticated without any digital signs. I thought it was a mids specialist that renders acoustic instruments (piano, violin, guitar, etc) and vocals very well, perhaps on the smoother side. The top and bottom-end extensions didn't seem to impress. Maybe I needed to try more tracks. I'll try to continue to go back on the next opportunity to learn more about it!

img8623.jpg

As a long-time owner of HD600, I was curious to hear the 660S2. I skipped everything in between so I don't know what happened in each step of evolution. HD660S2 was a very well (neutral) balanced and clean sound, like the veil taken out of HD600. It just sounds like a better cleaner HD600 to me. Very nice. This is worth auditioning side-by-side in home.
img8620.jpg

ZMF - I knew about the ZMF brand but never had a chance to try it before. As I entered the room, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of headphones on the table, not knowing which ones were which! Thanks to the very helpful staff and the nameplates on the table, I learned to navigate and I was quickly enjoying the different flavors they brought. The stand out for me was Atrium. Good dynamics and beautiful mids for instruments/vocals. It had good resolution and speed, slightly behind Caldera on those individual metrics, but Caldera lacked emotions for me. I'll have to find more audition opportunity or acquire one to start in a new rabbit hole :sweat_smile: Very refreshing experience compared to German and French cans.

img8616.jpg
img8613.jpg
img8619.jpg

STAX - The room next door was Woo Audio and STAX. Douglas Ip from STAX had some interesting historical stories about STAX company and engineers. My goal here was to check out 009 and X9000. Luckily, I got to try X9000 in two flavors out of T8000 amp and Ethereal amp (is this the name?) outside. I actually liked the 009 out of T8000. X9000 sounded thin and under-driven out of T8000... a little too soft for my taste. Ethereal amp, on the other hand, drove the X9000 hard and fast. Giving it a full-bodied bold sound across the spectrum. My source was LP6 Ti 7AE (R2R). I don't know if I would like listening facing this manikin or sitting side by side. Maybe there should be an armrest by the shoulder so we could look like friends! 🤭 I do wish that Headamp was here so that I could compare to their STAX amps.

img8631.jpg
img8641.jpg

Schiit - My goal here was to check out the new Yggdrasil MIB. I have had my Yggy A2 since it's release and this remains my benchmark at home. The new MIB using the TI DAC had subtle more musical warmth compared to my A2 with similar resolve. I like how it portrayed transients, space, and resolution. I think it might be time to A/B with my A2...

IMG_8633.JPEG

Campfire Audio @ Bloom - Now onto IEMs. I wanted to hear the latest CFA offering. I always have a sweet spot for OG Andro. Every time CFA announces something, I come with expectations that something might evoke those emotions again.
  • Cascara - Nice single DD IEM with slight bass boast. There are lot of single DD IEMs in the market today (there were few on Bloom table). I'm not sure if I can come up with a reason to pick this over others.
  • Ponderosa - This was a nice balanced enjoyable listen. I thought the bass was at the right level, not too thick nor thin, fairly linear into mids. Mids sits in the right place in the mix. Not too far not too close. Good resolution and musical warmth. Upper mids to treble was un-offensive and linear. Good space rendition. My favorite of the four.
  • Supermoon - I owned the launch version some time back and sold it because it was a bit spicy up top. Unfortunately it was the same experience here.
  • Bonneville - Bombastic bass and spicy treble. Too much bass and zing to go with it. Wasn't for me...

img8627.jpg

Bloom Audio - Continuing with Bloom booth. This was a treasure chest! So many IEMs! I literally lost track of time and ended up skipping lunch! A few notable here.
  • VE Phonix - This is one of my favorites and it remains so. Gorgeous mids, great overall balance, instrument timbre, detail retrieval, and spaciousness.
  • FIR E12 - Single DD IEM. I thought the cable that came with it over-emphasized the treble too much. I preferred my copper cables on it. Too much bass for my taste but fun IEM!
  • 64 Audio Volur - Another bass monster! I thought Nio was a nice V-shaped IEM but Volur bumps the mid-bass and treble up a few notches.

IMG_8603.JPEG
IMG_8626.JPEG

Kinera Imperial - This emerald Loki was an amazing IEM. I heard the Chinese version before which sounded boring to me. This set fit me well and the BCD seemed to be doing it's work very nicely. Excellent DD bass, present mids with excellent detail, excellent treble extension, and imaging that almost project out of my head with BCD. The other prototype they let me audition was impressive. You take a few steps back for imaging but it opens up to an enormous space. Bass-mids-treble are well done, albeit a step or two behind Loki, it is priced less than half. At this price/performance, I think this could be a "value" IEM. It doesn't punch/impact up close so probably not for everybody.

img8628.jpg
img8629.jpg

Empire Ears - Last but not least, Empire Ears Raven. I like what EE was doing with EVO's bass and mids so I was curious to see how the Raven came out. It didn't disappoint. I really liked the bass and mids. It has a wonderful bodied bass and realistic mids with BCD. I can almost feel my instruments with it. For up-close tactile listen, Raven was great. I do wish there was more top-end air that gave a better stage.

I had many more auditions but I will stop here. +1 from me to bring Canjam to Texas again with more vendors, please!

Had a great time and looking forward to more in the future!

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #163 of 300
Hi Ginger and Brandon from the other end of Hwy 46.

Although a long time fan of Zach, Bevin and their staff -- as well as the works of art they create in the form of headphones, I never connected with the ZMF sound signatures. That is until I heard the Auteur Classic last year during CanJam SoCal. I too slept on it and then bought my pair early Sunday morning. While my headphone is not nearly as visually stunning as is yours, I'm quite confidant that it sounds just as great. I have no doubt that you will enjoy your ZMF audio art on multiple levels for years to come. You may however have to hide them from the rest of the family before very long...

Nov 15, 2023 at 12:41 AM Post #164 of 300
I’m so glad I decided to do 2 full days. I still didn’t get to everything I wanted, but I heard some incredible gear and lots of combinations I will be unlikely to find outside of a CanJam. While day 1 was a sweep of interesting gear, day 2 was more “productive” for me. I brought a notepad both days to take notes and I have a stack of pages to review. Well worth the 18 hours of driving time to/from Dallas. I hope Dallas continues to get CanJam iterations going forward. My wallet will be a lot lighter as a result. Items I will likely buy in the next 6 months (some will come immediately) because I got to hear them:
  • Woo Tube Mini
  • Woo Phantom DAC
  • LTA Velos
  • Etymotic EVO
  • Schiit Magni Unity
  • Chord Mojo 2
  • Meze Empyrean 2
  • Headamp cfa3
I am trying to get away from tubes, but the LTA and Woo amps will pull me back in. So will Electrostats. It’ll just take longer.

Nov 15, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #165 of 300
i have a crackatwoa in a box waiting to be made. i was curious which ZMF is your favorite on it.
All of Zach’s 300 Ω cans. :)

The synergy with the VO & VC is sublime, as I think they’re the ones that exhibit the largest delta with an OTL.

I would pick based on your listening preferences and desires over synergy with this particular amp, because they all sound superb with it. Congrats on grabbing such a unique piece before it went out of production!

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want some additional opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back