CanJam Dallas 2023 Impressions Thread (November 11-12, 2023)
Nov 15, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #181 of 300
Hi Ginger and Brandon from the other end of Hwy 46.

Although a long time fan of Zach, Bevin and their staff -- as well as the works of art they create in the form of headphones, I never connected with the ZMF sound signatures. That is until I heard the Auteur Classic last year during CanJam SoCal. I too slept on it and then bought my pair early Sunday morning. While my headphone is not nearly as visually stunning as is yours, I'm quite confidant that it sounds just as great. I have no doubt that you will enjoy your ZMF audio art on multiple levels for years to come. You may however have to hide them from the rest of the family before very long...
Hello, Nice to meet another Hill Country resident. :) We love it here.

I've already been in the kitchen hearing my 5 year old belting out Taylor Swift down the hall, and my husband said she politely asked to wear my headphones. If I get too creative with hiding them, I'll never be able to look at them!

This is the pair. Still questioning my decision! I like the sporty yellow strap, but if it had been “Tennessee orange” (closer to tangerine), I’m sure I would own it right now! 😁. Although in noisy show conditions, I was not convinced that I liked the Cadera more than my Verite and/or Atrium.

BTW, Ginger, Auteur Classic was my first ZMF and I still love them, too.

IMG_2416.jpeg
Those are the ones I was thinking of. I definitely picked those up and admired them.

And I'm glad I got the Auteurs. Many people have enthusiastically supported my decision. :)

Nov 15, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #182 of 300
One quick feedback. Watercooler folks have a tremendous amount of knowledge and gear. I learned a lot just talking to you guys! I missed part of "Ask the Community" but I thought it was a great session that could benefit many. I believe having a session like that in the show ballroom over lunch (lunch box for fee would be great) could 1) get more audience involvement, 2) keep attendees on site near vendors, and 3) save time for us attendees. You could also have vendor rapid fire pitch to go over what they have. Some may not like the noise but an hour of session like that shouldn't hurt. Just my $0.02 :grin:

Ooh, that's definitely a risky proposition! 😆 We used to yell seminar announcements into the main hall, on occasion, but a lot of people were trying to get decent auditions in there so we stopped doing that.

Maybe we could organize some kind of community-lunch-seminar-thingamajig some day, but even that is filled with complication as the venue would want to supply food and beverage, which requires a head count, which requires reservations of some kind, which requires... you get the idea.

At the end of the day, it'd probably be best for attendees to organize an unofficial get-together in the CanJam thread leading up to the show. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #183 of 300
Ooh, that's definitely a risky proposition! 😆 We used to yell seminar announcements into the main hall, on occasion, but a lot of people were trying to get decent auditions in there so we stopped doing that.

Maybe we could organize some kind of community-lunch-seminar-thingamajig some day, but even that is filled with complication as the venue would want to supply food and beverage, which requires a head count, which requires reservations of some kind, which requires... you get the idea.

At the end of the day, it'd probably be best for attendees to organize an unofficial get-together in the CanJam thread leading up to the show. :slight_smile:
Understandable! It does require a lot of planning and many committed organizing team members. For the time being, I will be happy seeing more vendors in Texas next time!

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #184 of 300
I really enjoyed reading your unique CanJam impressions from a parent’s point of view. I also have two elementary age daughters and have never even considered taking them to something like this. Your pleasant experience has given me hope that maybe I can attend one of these sometime in the near future. I’ve been in the hobby for almost 20 years, but I’ve never gone to a CanJam or anything similar, so I’m long overdue.
If your kids like music, I'd definitely recommend bringing them! It was a fun way to connect, and seeing how much joy they had trying on quality gear was well worth bringing them along. If they keep coming to Dallas, we'll for sure keep going.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #185 of 300
I let them use my fancy headphones at home sometimes, but they don’t have the greatest track record of keeping their own (far less expensive) headphones in one piece. I think I’d have to mix in some non-CanJam activities throughout the weekend to entice my kids/wife to agree to go.

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #186 of 300
I couldn’t find a babysitter so I took my 3 kids to the he1 appointment

Nov 15, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #187 of 300
Hoolo.

Image dump. Intention was to get every single one but failed.

20231111_094739.jpg
20231111_095742.jpg
20231111_100357.jpg
20231111_100407.jpg
20231111_100719.jpg
20231111_111331c.jpg
20231111_110656.jpg
20231111_100810.jpg
20231111_101317.jpg
20231111_120618.jpg
20231111_131247.jpg
20231111_133233.jpg
20231111_133509.jpg
20231111_142319.jpg
20231111_155208.jpg
20231111_165617.jpg
20231112_111445.jpg
20231112_113858.jpg
20231112_114657.jpg
20231112_114715.jpg
20231112_130102.jpg
20231112_123057.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #188 of 300
first canjam. was awesome. been in this community since like late 00s. totally gonna try to make it to new york city canjam.

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #189 of 300
first canjam. was awesome. been in this community since like late 00s. totally gonna try to make it to new york city canjam.

Class of 2011! 🥳

Nov 16, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #190 of 300
My OG handle is from 2009, I just looked it up, haha.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #191 of 300
Mine is 2005 hahaha

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #192 of 300
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #193 of 300
Late posting this, but wanted to share impressions from Dallas.

As I made my way to the main level and looked for the registration table, I met @Mumbles06 and his Wife, who were very kind and helpful.

My first stop was the Dekoni booth. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a new closedback for the office, so gave the Cobalt a serious listen. For the money, this is a solid offering from Dekoni/HIFIMAN.

Great all arounder and seemed to be fairly efficient.

Also, everyone at the Dekoni booth were amazing and personable.

Next up was creatives Ace 2 TWEs. These have a lot of potential. A sound that is hard to describe but feels like a nice step forward for a different sound from true wireless models that I’ve heard. I wish there was a nonstem version, but they did fit well.

Also the budget over ear sounds quite good for the suggested $100 market. I personally think mike and the creative team have a couple hits on their hands.

After that I made my way over to the westone booth. I first listened to the mach 60, which to my ears had a beautiful sounding midrange and treble, but didn’t quite have the bass I was looking for. I found that in the etymotic Evo. Not the same imaging and sound per se, but gave me most of what I liked from the Mach 60 with great sounding bass. Special thanks to chris for his assistance and the great recommendations.

After that I went to nobles booth to check out the prestige. I liked some of what I heard in the default tuning, but playing with the eq on my phone showed me that the prestige was capable of giving drastically different sounds based on the eq. All within the scale of it’s original tuning of course, but lots of potential if you don’t like aspects of the default tuning.

Kai and crew were very accommodating, especially on the next day when I returned.

Next was the Meze booth. I heard the empyrean 2, but the headphone I really liked was the 109 pro. I had a goal to make it back the next day but didn’t unfortunately. I’ve also forgotten the exact name of who assisted me, but he was talking with jude for quite a while, so I introduced myself when an opening came up.

After that I went to Jason from Schiit Audio’s seminar. It was fantastic. To the point, and some good questions at the end.

Next was a product I was very excited to hear, the 64 Audio Volür.

I didn’t even try the 20 filter, as the 15 was to much for me and I do like bass. This just was a bit much for me at the time. The 12s were the sweet spot for my ears, but the 10 give a great representation of what the Volür is capable of.

Great build and fit.

Thanks to Nick for his assistance at the booth.

After that, went to the audeze booth to hear the LCD5. A bit to much clamping force for me, but love the sound. The cable is quite thin but seems like it will still hold up well.

Thanks to both Richard and Tim from Audeze for great chats and their assistance.

I ended Saturday with a trip to the Sennheiser booth. I gave the IE900 an extended listen, and it was quite enjoyable, but the icing on the cake was the HE1. What an experience. It’s a remarkable sounding headphone, and a beautiful package and presentation as the Headphones and tubes reveal themselves at the push of a button.

I didn’t get everyone’s name at the Sennheiser booth, but @ericpalonen went above and beyond.

As I was sitting at a table figuring out what I’d do next, Rob Watts came up after the day 1 festivities and introduced himself. That was pretty awesome. I saw him and someone else from Chord the next day, but unfortunately didn’t make it to try the Hugo M Scaler, something I hope to catch at the next canjam I attend.

Sunday morning I picked up where I left off Saturday, but this time checking out the IE600. Currently owning the IE300, I think the IE600 would be a better buy for me at this point. I enjoyed it’s different presentation. It has an anchoring sound in the bass that I don’t hear in the IE900 as much that was pleasing to my ears.

I also gave the 660 S2 a listen, what a solid headphone, and a return to greatness in the 600 series imo.

Next was the bloom audio booth. I hoped to hear the questyle M15 but it wasn’t available. Did hear the Utopia 2022, and was surprised how easy it was to drive.

Next I finally made my way to the Schiit booth.

The Midgard is another home run from schiit in my opinion.

Next was the Woo audio booth, where I heard the abyss Dianna MR. I don’t love the feel of the headphone, but the sound I did enjoy. Next I tried the Woo Tube mini with my HIFIMAN Deva and it had no issues driving that, I was wishing I had other headphones to try it with, but I think it is a great option for someone who needs a portable amp for travel, especially hotel room use. Not on the go, but traveling and sitting stationary I think this is a must have.

Also want to call out the Austrian Audio Composer headphone. What a great sound, and the build was very unique feeling. I really enjoyed listening to this headphone.

Next was the ZMF booth, I got a chance to talk with Zach, who introduced me to 2 products I was a big fan of.

First, the Atrium, and the Aegis amp.

I also heard the Caldera and the atrium closed. While I love the feel of the Atrium closed, I love the sound of the open by a good margin.

I didn’t want to leave this booth.

Lastly, I ended the day at the Noble Audio booth and listened to several IEMs. My favorite by far was the Kublai Khan

This might be my favorite IEM I heard at the show. I think it is actually, but it has some great company. The bass is quality and seems to extend for forever, the sounds of drums, especially Snares was amazing. Very unique. I enjoyed this so much.

It was a fantastic 2 days at canjam.

IF you can, you should attend one when it is near by, or in a city you wouldn’t mind traveling to.

I’m looking forward to canjams next year.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #194 of 300
Sunday morning I picked up where I left off Saturday, but this time checking out the IE600. Currently owning the IE300, I think the IE600 would be a better buy for me at this point. I enjoyed it’s different presentation. It has an anchoring sound in the bass that I don’t hear in the IE900 as much that was pleasing to my ears.
Good news is that the 600s are 200$ off right now on Sennheiser's site :) I love mine.

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #195 of 300
Lastly, I ended the day at the Noble Audio booth and listened to several IEMs. My favorite by far was the Kublai Khan

This might be my favorite IEM I heard at the show. I think it is actually, but it has some great company. The bass is quality and seems to extend for forever, the sounds of drums, especially Snares was amazing. Very unique. I enjoyed this so much.

+1 to that, as I'm a big fan of the Kublai Khan as well. It's so well-extended on both ends. I'm glad you got a good fit with it, as I think that's the key to making sure it sounds the way it should. In this case, a good seal with tips is just not enough, as the shell needs to mate with the concha in order for the BCD to do its work... which probably means that a custom Kublai Khan is the way to go if at all possible.

Good news is that the 600s are 200$ off right now on Sennheiser's site :) I love mine.

:open_mouth:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back