CanJam Chicago 2023 Impressions Thread (June 24-25, 2023)
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #33 of 269
Thoroughly enjoyed day one of my second Canjam (after NY earlier this year). Highlight was spending time with the Noble folks and their wares! The Ragnar was just a tad too sharp for me. Ronin a great all rounder. The KK really stood out to me - absolutely killer bass & lovely highs. Very tempting!

No sign of a Trailli - had my eye out for one, and/or the Mentor, and didn’t see either unfortunately! Knew it was unlikely based on the vendor list.
I have a Mentor with me.

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #34 of 269
I have a Mentor with me.

Very kind indeed, thank you. I’ve had a couple of people reach out with a Mentor. As a long time lurker but a more recent participant, I’m really struck by the quality of community. Aside from all the listening, it’s been a real treat meeting/getting to know others that share this hobby.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #35 of 269
IMG_4897.jpeg

IMG_4893.jpeg

IMG_4896.jpeg

A few pics I took yesterday. It was awesome meeting people, the ZMF room was simply amazing, and the HE-1 is quite the experience. I wanted to get a short video of it turning on, because it’s just so cool how the tubes emerge, but I was pretty engrossed in the sound. Really enjoyed meeting Zach and Bevin from ZMF. Just super nice folks, and really supportive of the community and of my own efforts.

Looking forward to today.

Oh, and the Viva amp is absurd in the best possible way.

Great time so far. Everyone has been awesome. Only disappointment was the gorgeous blue Caldera I was eyeballing got snapped up in like six minutes.

Jun 25, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #36 of 269
IMG_4897.jpeg
IMG_4893.jpeg
IMG_4896.jpeg

A few pics I took yesterday. It was awesome meeting people, the ZMF room was simply amazing, and the HE-1 is quite the experience. I wanted to get a short video of it turning on, because it’s just so cool how the tubes emerge, but I was pretty engrossed in the sound. Really enjoyed meeting Zach and Bevin from ZMF. Just super nice folks, and really supportive of the community and of my own efforts.

Looking forward to today.

Oh, and the Viva amp is absurd in the best possible way.

Great time so far. Everyone has been awesome. Only disappointment was the gorgeous blue Caldera I was eyeballing got snapped up in like six minutes.
Come on back to shoot the video!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 25, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #37 of 269
Very kind indeed, thank you. I’ve had a couple of people reach out with a Mentor. As a long time lurker but a more recent participant, I’m really struck by the quality of community. Aside from all the listening, it’s been a real treat meeting/getting to know others that share this hobby.
I was able to check out your the noble lineup. I own the Khan and was impressed with the Ragnar but I as underwhelmed by the sultan. I found the sultan to be thick in the midrange.

I am not sure if there is a pair at the show but I find the EE Odin to edge out the Ragnar for the top spot in my books. If I go again today I will be ing mine with my.

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #38 of 269

“You’ve got tubes”

If anyone wants to try them, I have my EE/A&K Odyssey with me today

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #39 of 269
I was able to check out your the noble lineup. I own the Khan and was impressed with the Ragnar but I as underwhelmed by the sultan. I found the sultan to be thick in the midrange.

I am not sure if there is a pair at the show but I find the EE Odin to edge out the Ragnar for the top spot in my books. If I go again today I will be ing mine with my.
How did you find EE Raven??

Jun 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #40 of 269
How did you find EE Raven??
I have not heard the raven yet. EE did not come to canjam chicago. I wish I went there pray as I would like to hear the odyssey. I missed the drop on it but I own the Odin.

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #41 of 269
Shouts out to @DeweyCH , he show me his very own headphone creation, the Lithium Alkali. The Lithium Alkali is a great headphone with excellent timbre. Instruments, particularly acoustic strings sound phenomenal. You can easily hear the plucks of the string without critically listening. The clarity is also nice and a good balance of bass. He informed me that he is selling his headphones for $600 with warranty, so if anyone is interested, make sure to message @DeweyCH to support our fellow headfier on his headphone creation journey.

IMG_0857.jpeg

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #42 of 269
20230624_130629.jpg

Crosszone CZ-1. Never heard of them before the show and I should have listened to them through an amp. I would like some more time with them and my own stack but I don't know if I want to spend $2500 for an experiment.

20230624_142138.jpg

Audeze Carbn.
20230624_110839.jpg

Stax SR-X9000.
20230624_125831.jpg

Spirit Torino Pulsar.
20230624_111746.jpg

ZMF Caldera.
20230624_110835.jpg

Grand Cayman. Really magical with the Stax SR-X9000.

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #43 of 269
Crosszone CZ-1. Never heard of them before the show and I should have listened to them through an amp. I would like some more time with them and my own stack but I don't know if I want to spend $2500 for an experiment.
Well that is a weird one. Just Googled it since I never heard of it before

It utilizes 3 dynamic drivers per side and has Hardware crossfeed (part of the left channel played on the right and vice versa)

I'd love to hear more impressions about it. It's Certainly unique

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #44 of 269
Well that is a weird one. Just Googled it since I never heard of it before

It utilizes 3 dynamic drivers per side and has Hardware crossfeed (part of the left channel played on the right and vice versa)

I'd love to hear more impressions about it. It's Certainly unique
Odd tuning, slight distortion of the LTA 10ZE. Too many variables to finalize an opinion.

Jun 25, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #45 of 269
Limiting my impressions to new release headphones:

Audeze Maxwell: Expectations were high for this one, and it did not disappoint. I knew that it’s more of a mass-market headphone than an audiophile headphone, so I played a lot of my favorite indie pop tracks that have less than perfect recording quality. The Maxwell presented them all in a very favorable light, with a forward and clean sound. Notes were well-separated and the headphone presented detail without putting a microscope to the music. Vocals were very clear and bass was high enough to be enjoyable with pop songs, but didn’t bleed into the mids. I was surprised that there was very little of the reverb/echo effect that characterizes closed backs. On the flip side, soundstage was fairly poor and notes did not have a great sense of weight nor impact. For a $300 “do everything” Bluetooth headphone I think the sound quality is much cleaner and more balanced than Bose / Sony / Beats and it will be my default recommendation for normal people who want normal headphones.

Audeze MM-100: The MM-500 is one of my favorite headphones, so I was eager to see whether Audeze could capture the high level of detail, laser-focused imaging, and balanced frequency response at a much lower price point. I can say they have hit their targets on all three counts. The balanced response with extremely clear mids is almost a carbon copy of its bigger brother. Instrument separation is amazingly good for the price point. I just bought an HD-660 S2 which I enjoy, but found that things get slightly blurred together. The MM-100 is around twice as precise as the Sennheiser in instrument placement and separation. Note decay is razor sharp as opposed to the more gradual decay of the Senn. That’s a quality I like, but I could see how others prefer the more natural decay of the 660 S2. Vocal tracks are where the MM-100 shines, but I did note that vocals sounded slightly artificial or plastic-y, depending on the singer, an effect not present in the more expensive MM-500. The bottom line is that in my opinion, the MM-100 is the best full-size headphone made under $600. The fact that it’s substantially cheaper than many of its rivals from Sennheiser, Moondrop, Hifiman, etc just adds to the amazing value.

Dekoni Cobalt: A bit of a miss in my opinion. Booth rep said they prioritized a balanced response and detail retrieval and cautioned me that it wouldn’t be bass-heavy enough for EDM. I think that to some extent the design targets were met, and it’s definitely leaning towards a neutral-ish sound signature. The problem is that it sounds like I am listening to nice speakers inside of a marble bathroom. The cup resonances are just too high. I actually wrote down “in the cave effect” in my notes. Sadly the Audeze Maxwell paired with my phone was better in every way than the Cobalt run off a decent amp/dac.

Lithium Alkali: This was a surprise. I had never heard of this company before today. I met the designer through random conversation and he graciously let me try his headphone. I ran the Alkali off the T+A HA200 headphone amplifier to ensure that electronics would not limit the performance of the headphones. I think there is a good base here that needs a little more development. The level of detail was very good, especially considering the $600 price point. I was satisfied with soundstage and image separation as well. The problem was that I heard a constant resonance / reverb / echo effect. I have no idea how this is possible because this is a completely open-back design, there is barely any material covering the back of the driver. However, the ear cup is about twice as deep as a typical ear cup. I’m guessing the deep walls of the ear cup may contribute to the reverb effect I heard. If this was eliminated I would rate the headphones as very competitive in the $600 price point.

ZMF closed-back prototype: Not sure what to call this one since there is no name. I only got to listen to one song but impressions were positive. I would rate the detail retrieval as very close to my Focal Clear. The sound was full and warm. Bass was heard, but I felt that the headphone would be a more enjoyable listen if the bass was boosted a bit. That’s just my preference, I only point this out to say that this headphone did not have overwhelming bass. As I listened to a bass solo, I found the transition between bass notes to be blurry, with the notes smearing into each other. The overall FR was slightly V-shaped, but as a fan of neutral headphones I still enjoyed this one. Overall, my listening experience was enjoyable and I could imagine them as perfect office headphones that allow music to be a beautiful background instead of attracting your attention with a false sense of detail or over-emphasized sections of the FR spectrum. If I remember correctly, the target price will be under $1000. I think the more under they get, the more attractive the headphone will be. At a $1000 price point it’s getting dangerously close to ZMF’s other, better headphones.

I’d like to give a big thank you to the ZMF team for answering all my questions. I purchased an Auteur Classic and they were very helpful in my audition process, pointing out different amplifiers to try and why they would / would not be a good match, as well as providing other models to compare. Multiple staff members helped me figure out which of the various woods would best suit me, explain some features of the headphone, the production process, etc. They really went above and beyond what I would expect exhibition booth staff to do and made me feel 100% confident in my purchase. I’m looking forward to buying more ZMF headphones in the future!
I’m fairly new to expressing analysis for headphones and I couldn’t express it accurately, but after reading this, I have to say that I strongly agree with the Audeze Maxwell’s notes lacking weight and impact. To me, it does not suit my preference. I was comparing to my Meze 109 Pros; I know big difference in tech and build, but when comparing, that’s what gave me the feeling of the Maxwell’s lacking some weight/impact. Very crystal clear though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back