CanJam Chicago 2023 Impressions Thread (June 24-25, 2023)
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #121 of 269
One of the unintended things that can happen at CanJam is finding new music, so to the person who had 24K Magic by Bruno Mars as the current song in one of the setups, I hate you, I’ve replayed that track a handful of times already! :darthsmile::sweat_smile: I already own a ZMF VC but damn that Atrium Closed has me tempted, the chase never ends!

There was so much new music I heard and loved that I didn't write down or take a photo of before leaving. Huge regret. Ton of good music and reference tracks from all genres.

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #122 of 269
Congrats, indeed!

I hear you on the Chicago being underwhelming thing. Not nearly as many vendors as NY or SoCal but after two years attending, I’m starting to think that’s its charm, as a nice counterbalance to the energy and chaos of its larger location siblings. If the venders/gear you’re interested in are there, it’s so nice to get that extended listening time without much worry about waiting in line. And the slower, chill vibe also helps with catching up with peeps, so I kinda hope it stays this way. I’m happy to save the madness for SoCal.
I missed having some of the esoteric Asian IEM vendors there. Really wanted to hear some of those to see if it worth moving up. Best of the western batch so far has been the Odin I heard at Axpona which is great but not enough for me to swap my S8s. Also like the 64audio U4s and U12. Noble had some interesting things but I preferred the 64s to the other stuff there over $1k. A hair more midbass than my personal preference but just VG devices.

Oh, and a thumbs up to the guys at Bloom Audio.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #123 of 269
Shout out to the Mimic Audio guys as well. Awesome setup. They had the 009s on the Viva amp that blew me away.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #124 of 269
Meant to add, I had a great talk with the Xmems team. Their technology looks really interesting, however I did not have an opportunity to hear their demo earphones with the iFI Diablo-X. Hoping to hear that setup soon! Could be quite a leap in earphone technology.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #125 of 269
Meant to add, I had a great talk with the Xmems team. Their technology looks really interesting, however I did not have an opportunity to hear their demo earphones with the iFI Diablo-X. Hoping to hear that setup soon! Could be quite a leap in earphone technology.
More of a refinement of the piezoelectric transducer.

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #126 of 269
I want to drop a surprising impression I had from CanJam. I'm not typically an IEM guy, just don't care for sticking things in my ears. However, I demoed the Ultimate Ears UELive, UERR and the total UEPremiere. Just nothing short of incredible. I asked to try the premiere with the ADI2DAC which happened to be at the table next to them and it was just audio euphoria!

My wife was blown away by the UELive. Pretty sweet to see her enjoy her music and understand what I go through with the process.

Big shout out to Lynette who assisted us with questions and our listening time with Ultimate Ears as well. Great people there to interact with (wish I got everyone's names there)

Jun 27, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #130 of 269
No impressions of DAPs?

Jun 27, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #131 of 269
I'm a first timer here as well, i enjoyed the show and really wished that linsoul came. I'm not very big into headphones, and my pockets arent very deep. I'd like to see more iems. HE1 was perfection, loved every second of it. bloom audio's section was probably my favorite. those campfire trifectas are a well tuned set. i wish i had more time. i just wanted a feel of how canjams usually go and next time I'll bring some friends along.
Try SoCal this year if you can swing it. It’ll likely be an IEM dreamland, especially with key vendors like Bloom, MusicTech and others in the mix. I tend to think I’ll spend one day on IEMs and the next on Headphones but NY and SoCal shows often have a plethora of both that you could spend the whole weekend on one preferred area if desired.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #132 of 269
Is that how the HE1 was set up? USB off of a laptop? If yes you only heard a fraction of what the system should be capable of.
What do you think would be a suitable setup for it..? A perfect setup, even?

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #133 of 269
What do you think would be a suitable setup for it..? A perfect setup, even?
i am not sure whether the analog input is a true analog input or the internal dac converts analog into digital. Assuming true analog input, I would pair HE1 with a TOTL source that has a neutral-warm sound signature - probably MPS8, Klimax, Pacific or DV2; Chord, dCS, MSB, etc would not be a good fit.

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #134 of 269
i am not sure whether the analog input is a true analog input or the internal dac converts analog into digital. Assuming true analog input, I would pair HE1 with a TOTL source that has a neutral-warm sound signature - probably MPS8, Klimax, Pacific or DV2; Chord, dCS, MSB, etc would not be a good fit.
Alright. I want you to join Sennheiser and travel with Eric to HE-1 demos, and be the official Hardware Setup Executive. No more fooling around at these HE-1 demos!

Jun 27, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #135 of 269
Shout out to the Mimic Audio guys as well. Awesome setup. They had the 009s on the Viva amp that blew me away.
Yeah, that Viva amp was truly the real deal. Crazy fast, punchy, and accurate. Idk about $18k, but I suppose so if you have the money for it. Definitely sounded like it was worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back