CanJam Chicago 2023 Impressions Thread (June 24-25, 2023)
Jun 27, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #136 of 269
Yeah, that Viva amp was truly the real deal. Crazy fast, punchy, and accurate. Idk about $18k, but I suppose so if you have the money for it. Definitely sounded like it was worth it.
Hell yes, that thing was very impressive. Not only the cost of 18k, but, a fair warning to the electric company on why your neighbors suddenly don't have lights lol

Jun 27, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #137 of 269
No impressions of DAPs?
i tried the Xduuo Xd05 Pro. i didnt have alot of time with it but i tried it with my fd5 and it was very thick but controlled in the bass and the treble was phenomenal. very musical and energetic. i wish i could try it again but it hasn't released yet.

Attachments

• 20230624_114340.jpg
    20230624_114340.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 27, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #138 of 269
i tried the Xduuo Xd05 Pro. i didnt have alot of time with it but i tried it with my fd5 and it was very thick but controlled in the bass and the treble was phenomenal. very musical and energetic. i wish i could try it again but it hasn't released yet.
FD5 guy! That was you, saying I would like your modded Sony DAP, right? And I had the Performer 5 ^ ^ Poor Kinera guy!! Haha

Jun 27, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #140 of 269
Jun 27, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #141 of 269
I personally loved that this Canjam was more laid back and gave the opportunity to have more time with the gear. I do wish there was some more brands represented, but the ones that were there did a fantastic job. No matter what booth I was at or who I was talking to everybody was so friendly and passionate that it made the experience unforgettable.

I loved everything that ZMF had available. I had to go back to get some more time with the ZMF x JDS amp. It was pairing so well with every ZMF I tried on it. I think if you don't want to mess with tubes and have/want ZMFs I think this is going to be the default amp to get.

A shoutout to Mimic Audio for having a great table with a wonderful selection of things to test out. Each person there was just fantastic to talk to. Went back to try the Modhouse Tungsten and was just as phenomenal the second day. I listened back to back with the T+A Solitaire P and while the T+A was good, I preferred Tungsten by a good margin.

I also wanted to give a shoutout to Ben at the Kinera table. Amazing person to talk to and represented the brand very well!

Last but not least, I wanted to mention @DeweyCH. It was a pleasure to get to talk to him and he was kind enough to let me spend a little time with his Lithium Alkali headphones. I have to say they were one of my top new headphones at the show. They just had a naturalness to them that was impressive. These need to be on everybody's radar.

Jun 28, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #142 of 269
Yeah, that Viva amp was truly the real deal. Crazy fast, punchy, and accurate. Idk about $18k, but I suppose so if you have the money for it. Definitely sounded like it was worth it.
Ever since I saw Viva amp internals, I'd be very hesitant to buy one...

Jun 28, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #143 of 269
I had to go back to get some more time with the ZMF x JDS amp. It was pairing so well with every ZMF I tried on it. I think if you don't want to mess with tubes and have/want ZMFs I think this is going to be the default amp to get.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Jun 28, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #145 of 269
I personally loved that this Canjam was more laid back and gave the opportunity to have more time with the gear. I do wish there was some more brands represented, but the ones that were there did a fantastic job. No matter what booth I was at or who I was talking to everybody was so friendly and passionate that it made the experience unforgettable.

+1. The major crowds and chaos of the larger CanJams is the primary reason I've never been to one. It's not a Canjam thing, I just personally hate crowds, crowded conventions and the idea of waiting a considerable amount of time in line to try something is tough to swallow--although obviously others LOVE it, and it's a great chance to connect.

I loved how laid back Canjam was, and I expect next year's to be a bit heavier for the same reason someone else mentioned regarding post-pandemic and vendors waiting back to see how things go.. but I loved that there were minimal waits, plenty of space to not be on top of one another, and even in the most popular stations (ZMF, DCS, etc,) there were minimal or reasonable wait times.

I was hoping to see a few more vendors, but all of the ones I stopped by were super nice, friendly and extremely knowledgeable.

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #146 of 269
+1. The major crowds and chaos of the larger CanJams is the primary reason I've never been to one. It's not a Canjam thing, I just personally hate crowds, crowded conventions and the idea of waiting a considerable amount of time in line to try something is tough to swallow--although obviously others LOVE it, and it's a great chance to connect.

I loved how laid back Canjam was, and I expect next year's to be a bit heavier for the same reason someone else mentioned regarding post-pandemic and vendors waiting back to see how things go.. but I loved that there were minimal waits, plenty of space to not be on top of one another, and even in the most popular stations (ZMF, DCS, etc,) there were minimal or reasonable wait times.

I was hoping to see a few more vendors, but all of the ones I stopped by were super nice, friendly and extremely knowledgeable.
The SoCal one really isn’t bad at all if you get there when it opens and doesn’t start getting busy until 2-3 hours later. Plus there are so many things to try and it’s a big showroom with about 5 private rooms as well.

Think my only disappointment with the current event is there no spaces setup from personal users. It’s basically a trade show with only vendors. The old Head-fest had the main floor for vendors and the back rooms for personal. And that’s were you got to see vintage TOTL headphones and crazy DIY setups and crazy mods. Think even the one I went to 10 years ago had a room for this too. It’s possible I just missed this at the last one since so much going on.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #147 of 269
The SoCal one really isn’t bad at all if you get there when it opens and doesn’t start getting busy until 2-3 hours later. Plus there are so many things to try and it’s a big showroom with about 5 private rooms as well.

Think my only disappointment with the current event is there no spaces setup from personal users. It’s basically a trade show with only vendors. The old Head-fest had the main floor for vendors and the back rooms for personal. And that’s were you got to see vintage TOTL headphones and crazy DIY setups and crazy mods. Think even the one I went to 10 years ago had a room for this too. It’s possible I just missed this at the last one since so much going on.
The meet up back in February outside Boston was like that, but without vendors. So…not actually like that I guess.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #148 of 269
Proving once again that Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF team are the nicest people you could ever meet, Bevin gave my 9 year old son (who always accompanies me at shows to help me evaluate because, quite frankly, he has way better hearing than I do) a free ZMF t-shirt. That made his whole day. Thank you again, Bevin.

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #150 of 269
The meet up back in February outside Boston was like that, but without vendors. So…not actually like that I guess.
Yes, the local meets are like this with maybe one or two local vendors attending but usually none. I went to several local ones in the Bay Area and a lot when I lived in Seattle. Seems like we were doing ones every two months. Since I’ve been down to San Diego, I’ve only been to one at Coronado and one mini one in LA. I’ve been actually thinking of hosting a local one at my condo in San Diego.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back