CanJam at RMAF October 2013 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #331 of 353
  The LCD-X has, perhaps, become my favorite LCD - even over my LCD-3.  That's what my gut
tells me now.  I have more listening to do...

Do you have a preferred cable?  I find the prototype cable I'm using to be much more engaging than the stock cable.  Now I'm dying to try out Drew's silver.  From everything I've heard, that one is the shiznit.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #332 of 353

I unfortunately missed Violectric and I regret it!
I've heard wonderful things.

I just submitted my review of the ALO Island to Part-Time Audiophile.
My initial impressions didn't change: I liked it more and more as I got to experiment
w/ different cans.

Both Audeze cans (LCD-X and LCD-XC) are impressing me greatly, and yes as expected.
The LCD-X has, perhaps, become my favorite LCD - even over my LCD-3.  That's what my gut
tells me now.  I have more listening to do...

Wow, you're one of the first people who has out right preferred the LCD-X over the LCD-3.  Most of the earlier reports over on the LCD-X thread have said that the X falls right between the LCD-2 and LCD-3, having qualities of each.  How do you like the LCD-XC????

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #333 of 353

Wow, you're one of the first people who has out right preferred the LCD-X over the LCD-3.  Most of the earlier reports over on the LCD-X thread have said that the X falls right between the LCD-2 and LCD-3, having qualities of each.  How do you like the LCD-XC????

Notice the wording: "perhaps...". So it's not a slam dunk. But I agree with him. These could perhaps be the best Audeze cans I've heard yet. One thing's for sure, they work extremely well with classical music. With my LCD-2/3s, I tended to reach for my HD800s....but not with these cans. 

Do I like them better than my LCD-3s...."perhaps". 
smile.gif
 I'll need more time to put them through the ringer with a lot more music.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #334 of 353

Notice the wording: "perhaps...". So it's not a slam dunk. But I agree with him. These could perhaps be the best Audeze cans I've heard yet. One thing's for sure, they work extremely well with classical music. With my LCD-2/3s, I tended to reach for my HD800s....but not with these cans. 

Do I like them better than my LCD-3s...."perhaps". 
smile.gif
 I'll need more time to put them through the ringer with a lot more music.

I've been living with both LCD-X and LCD-XC for weeks now...

The LCD-X is my favorite Audeze headphone thus far.
and the XC is FAR better than I thought during the show (more to come on that SOON):

I LOVE my LCD-3 (as stated in my review for PFO) but the LCD-X sounds like the evolution of the 3 to me.
Like you said: I also find it more engaging with big classical passages, old school jazz, and even with well-recorded electronic music!
The soundstaging is far wider and deeper IMO.  I used to grab for my HD800's too when it came to classical and such...

The LCD-X has the incredible warmth and looking-glass qualities of the LCD-3, but the air, the dimensionality, is unreal.
Plus the lighter weight also makes a difference! Though admittedly the weight of the LCD-3 never bothered me. Guess I was just transfixed
and didn't pay attention to it before!

Midrange clarity is spectacular.
The high frequencies are effortless, not a HINT of sharpness/edginess.

More listening and impressions (plus full review) to come!!

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #335 of 353
FWIW, I too have been living with the X & XC for a little over a week now...I'm shooting them for their site.  M y own experience mirrors Mike's.  The XC's great cans...and MUCH better than I thought from my time at RMAF.  That said, the X's are supurb...and are not going back to Audeze after the shoot.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #336 of 353
  FWIW, I too have been living with the X & XC for a little over a week now...I'm shooting them for their site.  M y own experience mirrors Mike's.  The XC's great cans...and MUCH better than I thought from my time at RMAF.  That said, the X's are supurb...and are not going back to Audeze after the shoot.

".and are not going back to Audeze after the shoot."

NICE!!

Yeah and I recently discovered what an incredible pairing the CEntrance HiFi-M8 (XLR-4 iDevice edition) + LCD-X are!!
Cabled w/ Moon Audio Silver Dragon (w/ changeable tips) using the 4-pin XLR output of the HiFi-M8.

Truly intoxicating.  Rockin' Oneohtrix Point Never (R Plus Seven) and the sound is massive.  The velocity of the kicks 
are addictive, the textural quality of the midrange sublime, and I spoke about the highs above (extended and open).

Now people have been asking me "where does this put the LCD-3"?  But, to be honest, I really haven't wrapped my head
around all that yet.  I've been having too much fun listening!  I'm sure Alex or Shankar, or even Mark from Audeze could shed some light there.

And, after awhile, I MAY begin to understand why the LCD-X sits between the 2 and 3 price-wise - but I may never figure it out.
And I don't think I'm going to spend much time contemplating it either!!  I'm just impressed with the X, so much so I'm not lookin' back.

Nov 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #337 of 353
Do you think the XC would provide enough isolation to use them on a plane? Could you try listening to tv at a louder level in your room or stereo and see how the xc is. I would really appreciate it.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #338 of 353
  I've been living with both LCD-X and LCD-XC for weeks now...

The LCD-X is my favorite Audeze headphone thus far.
and the XC is FAR better than I thought during the show (more to come on that SOON):

I LOVE my LCD-3 (as stated in my review for PFO) but the LCD-X sounds like the evolution of the 3 to me.
Like you said: I also find it more engaging with big classical passages, old school jazz, and even with well-recorded electronic music!
The soundstaging is far wider and deeper IMO.  I used to grab for my HD800's too when it came to classical and such...

The LCD-X has the incredible warmth and looking-glass qualities of the LCD-3, but the air, the dimensionality, is unreal.
Plus the lighter weight also makes a difference! Though admittedly the weight of the LCD-3 never bothered me. Guess I was just transfixed
and didn't pay attention to it before!

Midrange clarity is spectacular.
The high frequencies are effortless, not a HINT of sharpness/edginess.

More listening and impressions (plus full review) to come!!

I would generally agree with your assessments...but sorry, the LCD-3s are physically lighter headphones. 
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #339 of 353
Yup, adding materials tends to make things heavier.  That and the Audeze site has the weights listed.  X and XC are heavier 548(3) v 600(X) v 650(XC).

Can we get more XC impressions? TH900 killer?  Competitive with CIEMs?

Amazed there is no thread for them yet.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #342 of 353
  Yup, adding materials tends to make things heavier.  That and the Audeze site has the weights listed.  X and XC are heavier 548(3) v 600(X) v 650(XC).

Can we get more XC impressions? TH900 killer?  Competitive with CIEMs?

Amazed there is no thread for them yet.

+1

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #343 of 353
Wow, kinda quiet in here lately... starting to hear crickets.
frown.gif

It's kind of a tangent, but here's another set of impressions for you guys.

On Sunday morning, HiFiGuy528 and I went out to breakfast with the girls from RHA and the guys from Wyred4Sound.  We had found a little pancake house the night before and decided to try it out (because the hotel breakfast can get a bit boring over time).  I opted for the Swedish Pancakes.

Not too much impact to speak of in the lows, but it was well-extended at both ends.  I found the mids especially sweet and surprisingly rich, which made for a delightful experience.  And though one might think them too thick in places, I found it thin enough and airy enough to suit my tastes.  Detail wasn't the best I've tried, and the sweetness was very one note.  But on the whole, I enjoyed them.

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #344 of 353

Not too much impact to speak of in the lows, but it was well-extended at both ends.  I found the mids especially sweet and surprisingly rich, which made for a delightful experience.  And though one might think them too thick in places, I found it thin enough and airy enough to suit my tastes.  Detail wasn't the best I've tried, and the sweetness was very one note.  But on the whole, I enjoyed them.

I'm going to need some information on the source. How often was it sampled before sent to you? What processing was used? Did the preparation color the pancakes more than you expected? Also, would I need to invest in a high end syrup to get the most out of the overall experience or would I be fine running with what I currently have?

Were they actually made in Sweden, or was it just a Swedish pancake that was made elsewhere for much cheaper? China?

Nov 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #345 of 353

I'm going to need some information on the source. How often was it sampled before sent to you? What processing was used? Did the preparation color the pancakes more than you expected? Also, would I need to invest in a high end syrup to get the most out of the overall experience or would I be fine running with what I currently have?

Were they actually made in Sweden, or was it just a Swedish pancake that was made elsewhere for much cheaper? China?

Nah, no sampling or processing.  Pure analog, grade (class) A.  On the coloration, I'd have to say yes, very much more than I expected.  I was given various options, but I went with the tried and true Lingonberry.  Amazingly, no syrup was needed at all.  Besides, everyone knows high-end syrup is snake oil anyway.

Nope, not made in China.  It was actually made in Denver right here in the good 'ol US of A!  Watch out Grado and VPI!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back