CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 8, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #541 of 636
Indianapolis is incredibly easy to get to and just expanded/improved their convention center...is cheaper than most places...

well, i tried...Chicago'd be good...Memphis...Austin...

I hope to make it next year...we'll see...

thanks for all the impressions/pics...

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #542 of 636
Here's how you can get indy to have a canjam:

run a meet.
next, run a bigger meet.
next, run a bigger meet that has people show up from out of the region.
finally, make a proposal to run the national
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #544 of 636
Thanks for the kind comments Steve. One of my favorite parts of the meet was sitting in the meet room listening to tunes with you and Ron (amphead) while the Great Debate raged on. Moments of calm amid the pandemonium are nice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I totally agree that different people in different roles or stages of the hobby can experience the same meet in vastly different ways. And I have gone commando exactly as you suggest, such as last year's CanJam -- no gear, no responsibilities -- and will do the same next year most likely. I have also done some Florida meets with a minimal amount of gear just to sample or add into somebody's rig. It's all good, but definitely nice to change the pace from meet to meet.

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #545 of 636
it's unfortunate that this thread is littered with jibberish which makes the actual impressions get lost in the countless worthless posts, admittedly including my own but this had to be said...

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #546 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finally, make a proposal to run the national
smily_headphones1.gif

To whom?

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #549 of 636
Jude, is who I spoke with along with Mike and Al the leaders of the previous two meets.. The meet quite frankly should never be handed over to an unproven city as there is too much riding on the event. Each MOT pays to be there and needs to see an ROI on the cost, after all this is part of their marketing budget. The city needs to have a large local base of Headfi members that have shown they'll attend. So the city should have had local meets in the 50-100 attendee range. Lastly there needs to be a person or group of people that can make it happen. Any person that advocates for the meet should be ready to demonstrate those points and be ready to step up and do the work.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #551 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jude, is who I spoke with along with Mike and Al the leaders of the previous two meets.

nod.gif

The voice of experience there, mate.

There is a hell of a lot riding on these meet these days.

Just. Bloody. Amazing!

I guess the point is, you just don't come out of the woodwork and pull one off. It is damn important to the vendors that things go off right, and it's the vendors that have the dough to pull it off.

I think the vendor part and business model of the event has worked ever increasingly well.

To tell you the truth, I think the trick is to keep it ever increasingly a friggen great time for the members. It's hard to keep it the personal event it should be as it gets more and more successful.

I think everyone should have a dram or two with friends and keep working on that bit.
friday.gif

Thanks again John, Al, Mike, Aaron, all the members that have worked on the event, and Jude for allowing it to take on this life that it has.

thumb.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #552 of 636
We could go full circle and do it in New York, again.

We certainly meet the criteria.
It would have to be done in a place that is as accessible as the Adria, but a little higher on the food chain. I could assemble a pretty nice team once again, along with new, able-bodied brains and brawn.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #553 of 636
How was the turnout this year (members not vendors)? It seems it was much lower than previous years. I think NYC is a great spot to hold it next year. Chicago has been mentioned and I think it would be a crackin awesome city to visit but NYC along with the wonderful members who have hosted meets before, seems to be a very logical spot. It also helps that the member turnout is much larger in NYC and with the growth in popularity, I can't see there being a decrease in vendors attending.

NYC is also great for a good bunch of us Canucks. I'd wager 80% of the Canadians on this forum are from Ontario and Quebec, specifically Toronto east to Montreal. Because of this, you get a strong faction from up North plus the heaps of Head-fiers from the East coast and onward north to Chicago. Yes there are plenty who fly out from the West Coast, but no doubt, most attending tend to stay local.

My vote, NYC! Oh, and I can actually attend next year if it is in NYC (or Chicago for that matter).

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #554 of 636
I said that very same thing Zanth....it just seemed like there were more members at the last Canjam, but alot more vendors at this one. I almost didnt make it myself to the LA Canjam..however im extremelly thankful for being able to get out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back