CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 7, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #526 of 636
Impressions Part 2

Dassun T2i .:www.dussun.com_׿Խ¼¼Êõ ÕæʵÑÝÒï
This 42 watt integrated amp with headphone amp and dac was donated by Ping Gong of AAA-Audio.com. I had this in my house for the week leading up to canjam and it is a sweet performer. I wish I could have gotten more ears on it at canjam but hopefully the person that won it will post their thoughts. It is a screaming good performer at AAA-Audio's price of $800. I had it in my speaker system powering my Alon Lotus SE speakers and used the dac section, also compared it to the Apogee Duet as well as cranking out the LPs with my TT. It has a well balanced sound as an integrated amp falling just short of my $2500 retail Eastern Electric tube amp/pre combo. Very detailed and dynamic with no signs of solid state glare, the music just flowed. The dac section was right up there with the apogee duet just slightly softer sounding. You could not go wrong with this unit. The headphone amp sounded great as well, if you were to buy the components separately you'd never come close to this quality build and sound for the $$.

Manley Labs Steelhead, Jumbo Shrimp and monoblocks powering the PSB Montana speakers. These were stunning and did a great job in a tough acoustic environment, they were used for the Harley/Hoffman talks and sounded stunning. I can't thank Manley and PSB enough for putting this rig together I woke my butt up early on Sunday to kick out the jams with some vinyl I brought with this system and it was worth getting out of bed at 7am to do it.

Audio gd reference dac, I had this at home for the week leading up to canjam and used it with my Stacker ll amp. Wow what a nice dac and it lives up to its reference name. I was hoping I would win it in the raffle but came up empty. Sachu won it and I hope in the next few weeks he'll comment on it.

Biggest regret of the meet was not getting to the Smyth Room and not hearing Craig Uthus' production version of the Balancing Act and his new phono pre amp. I'll be making a trip to SoCal just to hear Craig's stuff.

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #527 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must have missed the several large meets that Team KC have had in the past few years to support an event like canjam. I'm sure KC is a great town with great steaks but you need a large team in the area to bring out the number of people needed to support an event like this. I'd estimate that locals made up 250+ of the attendance at CanJam in LA, San Jose and NYC put up similar numbers in the 125-200 range would be my guess. The reality is there are only a small number of locations that can support this event (LA, NYC, SF bay area, DC, Chicago and maybe Dallas).

Aww that's sad, I think KC would be fun... But unfortunately your right (you would know!) My vote is for Chicago or Dallas, but I think Chicago is the best bet.

BTW thank you so much for canjam it was a blast, I'm really grateful. You had to put up with a lot and I know you put in a ton of time. Sorry I didn't help out more...

P.S. I was saying we should do some smaller LA meetups at like peoples houses or rec-rooms...

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #528 of 636
Quote:

Biggest regret of the meet was not getting to the Smyth Room and not hearing Craig Uthus' production version of the Balancing Act and his new phono pre amp. I'll be making a trip to SoCal just to hear Craig's stuff.

I'm sure we can make some mini meets to make up for that. Good thing both Smyth Research and Craig are both in SoCal.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #529 of 636
Voltron's pictures and storyline are wonderful. Thanks for sharing those with us folks who were unable to attend. It was exactly what I'd figured the trip would have been like had I made it this year.
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #532 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltron's pictures and storyline are wonderful. Thanks for sharing those with us folks who were unable to attend. It was exactly what I'd figured the trip would have been like had I made it this year.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Tom, you would have been welcome to join us!

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team "Senior Whisker" rules:

I guess you didn't come out because you didn't grow out a beard this year?
tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #535 of 636
Quote:

I must have missed the several large meets that Team KC have had in the past few years to support an event like canjam. I'm sure KC is a great town with great steaks but you need a large team in the area to bring out the number of people needed to support an event like this. I'd estimate that locals made up 250+ of the attendance at CanJam in LA, San Jose and NYC put up similar numbers in the 125-200 range would be my guess. The reality is there are only a small number of locations that can support this event (LA, NYC, SF bay area, DC, Chicago and maybe Dallas).

OK, well if KC is not good then I vote for DC, or Chi town.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #536 of 636
KC would work for me of course. Where-ever it is next time I am there, now that I am done with school I am free to travel.

Naamanf are you at Ft. Riley?

One of the largest audiophile based retailers is in Kansas, AcousticSounds.

Jun 8, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #539 of 636
Voltron, thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed report. Your travelogue & impressions in 4! chapters is the most striking example of how different a meet can be for different people. I love reading about how people see the event overall because it can be such a different experience for different people. It was fun reading. Fun for me. I hope, also fun for you.

It really struck me while talking to Todd how different a meet is for different people. He was giving his general impressions of how the meet was going. I don't remember what he said exactly, but the first time it didn't register. The next day, he was talking about it again, and it seemed like he was talking about a very different meet. It finally clicked that vendors experience a very different event than do the members. They're focused on different things, worrying about what other vendors are up to, figuring out how to make their customers happy, and what not. It's also true for those that host the meet and spend most of their time attending to details. Or people that bring complicated rigs that need babysitting. Heck, a meet can be a completely different experience when you come with an agenda compared to just showing up and letting things happen. Not that one way is necessarily better than another, but you meet different people under different circumstance, spend time in different places, and talk about very different things. Even with my puny setup, I've spent a good part of some meets helping people set up auditions mixing my gear with theirs. It's an enjoyable, but different experience than coming with nothing. Enjoyable enough that I often wish I had more to share.

So, a big thanks to everyone that brought their rigs, spent their time babysitting so that others could listen, and to the folks who spend a lot of time pulling this off, and the vendors, all of you who didn't get to listen to much at all so the rest of us could.

And, Voltron, and the rest of you that work your butts off so the rest of us can have fun, think about simplifying or leaving your big rig at home next year and just enjoy one. You all deserve a break and a change. Just don't all do it at once.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #540 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it will probably closer by possibly up to 2500 miles.

"Anything" helps.
Cutting down the flight time from 16-17 hours to 13-14 hours..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back