Canceling my K701 order... am I crazy??
Mar 22, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #31 of 46
BASICALLY, there are mixed opinions. I really don't see why you're not giving the K701 a chance. As you said, you take Head-Fi comments to be half of the decision making. The other half should be your own ears. Like many others have suggested, just try! The demand for the AKG K701 will be ever present, just like the demand for HD650 and DT880. You really have nothing to lose. Despite what I've heard about the K701 (good and bad), I decided to get them anyway. It's a win-win situation. If I like them, then perfect. If I don't, then I'll sell them. They can't be that bad! I guess I have a higher tolerance level than others. If I can stand SR325i for classical music, there is nothing else I can't stand. (BTW, my K701 haven't arrived yet. Should be getting them tomorrow.)

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #32 of 46
If you really want to be conservative about it, you can wait until I get mine and you can try them out. By the way, did you meet with Ichiro and that other guy last Saturday?

* Note that I placed my order on March 10, so that might be quite a wait.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
have you considered forking out 3X more for the W5k?
very_evil_smiley.gif

it may be what you are looking for...fast, immediate yet not fatiguing, solid tones even with the highs, crisp but not to the extend that they sound thin, bass is impactful, fast, and hits deeper than the k701 though the quantity on the upper bass is less which kinda make them feel the lack of warmth. But fortunately, vocals sound really clear and background is darn clean....aka black(not gray). the phone screams "I'm clean, I'm fast, I'm teh r0x0r!"

Yes, that does sound like what I'm looking for, but why stop there? I should just go straight for the R10
eek.gif
Another factor I forgot to mention is that I'm probably going to Japan for the summer (school stuff), and would be able to try out a lot of interesting phones firsthand (not to mention the lower prices). But when it comes down to it, price is the real deciding factor in this decision right now - I want to try something, but can't afford to try 5 different pairs just to "let my ears decide". So the AD700 is more of a stop-gap purchase until I can do some more firsthand listening.

Now that that's settled, any AD700 impressions? Maybe you can get me to change my mind again
icon10.gif

** Edit **
Richard - there was a meet last weekend? That's the first I've heard of it - I only pay attention to a few of the forums here, so I guess I missed it
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #34 of 46
Yeah, Ichiro set one up with two other guys, I think. I didn't go because I didn't really have anything worth bringing (only have the HD595), and I wasn't too interested in the headphones everyone else had (my mind is set on the K701).

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 46
Your desire for a forward sounding headphone screams to me, "Headphile C-padded Grados!" My K701 is still under the 20 hour mark, but I can definitely confirm for you that it has a significantly larger soundstage than any cans I've heard (which I'll admit, is limited). And if I recall, a large soundstage is exactly the opposite of what you want. Grados are very forward sounding, and if comfort's what you're looking for, then I would definitely recommend going with Headphile-modded Grados. It just seems like the perfect match for what you're asking for to me. Obviously, the pads will give the Grados more soundstage than the standard, but they're still Grados, and the added comfort (which you mentioned as important) would definitely be worth it. In any case, I will say this: I have not heard them, but given their size and open-endedness, I cannot imagine that the AD900s would be forward enough for you as compared to their closed counterparts. Additionally, if you don't like them, it would be much harder to resell them than it would if you didn't like the AKG K701.

P.S. If it's any consolation, I live in freaking Atlanta, with the biggest airport on the planet, and I still could not find a single pair of K701s in stores that I could audition.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #36 of 46
I'm happy with the W5k that's a good reason for me to stop going upwards (for now
very_evil_smiley.gif
). I also don't like paying premiums on stuff just because they have been discontinued, not to mention that I've got no idea how many heads it has sit on and replacing them is gonna be a real PITA if they ever die on me. That's just me though, they are ppl who dun mind paying for premium *cough* HF-1 *cough*

A good way to try phones is to buy used, you lose very little when reselling it and you get to play with them until u find your phone (and if u like that phone, sell it with minimal loss and buy a new pair). I don't really like to "make use of" 30 day return policy, but if it must...I will
very_evil_smiley.gif

I really dig the AT sound, for some reasons, the k701, 650, 880 dun interest me all that much...they have the same kind of sound. I'm still wondering if i'd be keeping the K701.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Having waited ~3 weeks so far, and just as the news hit about the new giant shipment being expected (at Headroom), I decided to cancel my order. I've only emailed them so far, so I have approx. 5 hours to reverse my decision before they open for business. Simple enough - am I crazy or not?

The decision was mostly thanks to this thread. No matter how spectacular the frequency response or detail, I don't think I could love a headphone without an engaging, forward presentation. Instead I'm ordering the AD900, which I hope will fix the midrange issues I had with the LTD but still give me that great in-your-brain soundstage.

Aside from telling me I'm crazy, could anyone else comment on the K701's presentation? Maybe I could be swayed back into the flock.
icon10.gif

youre not crazy, I canceled my 701 order after almost 2 month wait time. While I was waiting, I was able to listen to the 601's. And if the 601s are any inclination of what to expect from the 701's, I know these cans are not for me.

So I guess Im still team sennheiser. HD600s and hd650s are my current favorite cans so far. 601s IMO were definately inferior to my ears compared to the sennheisers. So I didnt feel the wait time and money would be worth it for the 701s. Judging by the graphs, the 701s are not too different from the 601s.

Mar 22, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
youre not crazy, I canceled my 701 order after almost 2 month wait time. While I was waiting, I was able to listen to the 601's. And if the 601s are any inclination of what to expect from the 701's, I know these cans are not for me.

So I guess Im still team sennheiser. HD600s and hd650s are my current favorite cans so far. 601s IMO were definately inferior to my ears compared to the sennheisers. So I didnt feel the wait time and money would be worth it for the 701s. Judging by the graphs, the 701s are not too different from the 601s.

the 701 is on the same level as the 6x0, and imho, is better than any of the senns. bear in mind that, the graphs don't really explain much on how they sound. *check headroom's graph on SR60 and SR325* they are about 90% similar, heck no way do they sound similar (details, brightness, bass, and etc) when compared in real life. Sometimes, science really dun work very well with sound.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #39 of 46
I didn't like the AD700 the couple times that I tried a demo model. It sounds very different from the AD2000.

A simple generalization of the AD2000 might be as a forward-sounding K701 with additional midrange coloration, treble sparkle, and bass quantity and texture, while subtracting soundstage, imaging, instrument separation and balance.

I consider the K701 to be in the same class as the AD2000 or HD650.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Basically, I want exactly what markl described with his R10 -

This is all relative. Based on your headphone experience, you may find the K701 very forward and may be inclined to feel the way markl does with his R10. I certainly found the sound more forward than HD600/650 which were my main cans before my current love with AT cans.

Mar 22, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #41 of 46
I'm not sure how delighted Headroom or Todd are about the constant suggestions to buy and return equipment made to vacillating buyers who have a high likelihood of returning their purchased items.

It's one thing to have done the research, decided on a purchase, and upon receiving your item deciding for whatever reason that it doesn't work out for you the way you planned. It's quite another to not be certain and buy it with half an intention of returning it in advance. You always have the chance of hearing these headphones at meets or buying them used on the FS forums eventually (once the supply issue is resolved.)

These sellers support hi-fi and work with low operating margins to keep prices fair. You should do your part to be fair to these vendors. I'm not saying don't return stuff, just try and be reasonably sure before you buy something, and if possible sell it in the FS forum - with K701s you shouldnt take much of a hit. Just my opinion.

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #42 of 46
I have owned both the K701, and the A900, and no offense, but the K701 turns the A900 into toast!!
eek.gif
They are two totally different sets of cans, that shouldn't even be compared!

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
I'm not sure how delighted Headroom or Todd are about the constant suggestions to buy and return equipment ...

Well said. It's a very good and honorable point you brought up.

To the OP, re: are you crazy? NO.. relax! You're not any worse off today than the day you cancelled the order, are you? Even if you decide in a week that you want the K701's, order them and you'll have them in a months time. Simple as that
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #44 of 46
Heh, well, regarding HeadRoom's return policy, I say that is the risk they take to attract customers, and it's a risk well worth taking. It's that money-back guaranty that makes me chose them over all other competitors--even those who might be selling the same product for 10~15% cheaper.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I have owned both the K701, and the A900, and no offense, but the K701 turns the A900 into toast!!
eek.gif
They are two totally different sets of cans, that shouldn't even be compared!

No offense (not really directed solely at you), but this kind of attitude is what's really turned me off audiophile stuff recently. How exactly can one pair of headphones DESTROY!!1!11@! another? Most people here refuse to talk about anything that can't be quantified into bragging rights. They have to have the flattest frequency response, the most minute detail, and the most impactful yadda yadda. I appreciated markl's review because it focused more on the quality of the sound. Then, to prove my point, RichardCory criticized it for not being objective enough: not enough measureable quantities, too many ephemeral qualities.

I've found that a lot of the differences you guys argue about dissapear when you're not comparing headphones back to back. You only start to notice a lack of detail when you compare them to something more expensive. If frequency response is slightly skewed, you get used to it and it becomes natural to your ears. Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing out on any amount of detail between the A900LTD and the KSC75. Of course, this is because I'm not comparing them back to back. The only thing lacking in the Koss is the presentation - soundstage is a little too flat and not immersive enough.

For me at least, the one thing that is always there and in your face is presentation, but for some reason it's almost never talked about here on headfi. Sorry for the rant, but I just wanted to say that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back