Canceling my K701 order... am I crazy??
Mar 21, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I will state again that I disagree with MarkL's assessment of the headphones.

There were so many things I thought were off-track that I'm dismayed that his "initial impressions" thread has such wide reaching effects. Especially for a headphone that is KNOWN for a severe break-in period.

It's hard to say whether you'll be happy with the K701's. But I guess it's your dime to risk.

Agreed 100 percent. There's simply too many subjective variables at play, not the least of which would be: Synergy with other hardware and how much of those descriptions he wrote were due to his amp, etc. etc.

It's disheartening to see people base their purchasing decisions solely on some thread on the Internet and nothing else.

People wouldn't buy automobiles in that fashion, so why do it with electronics?

I've been amazed, in the worst way possible, when I've been on audio-vidoe and home theater forums, how often this happens with a lot larger ticket items like TV's, receivers, you name it.

Good luck! That's sure not the informed way to make decisions!

Using forums like these should be one of MANY steps people take to arrive at at informed opinion of sorts, not the first, last, and ONLY step.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
Good luck! That's sure not the informed way to make decisions!

Using forums like these should be one of MANY steps people take to arrive at at informed opinion of sorts, not the first, last, and ONLY step.

Looks like you have some work to do on reading comprehension skills. Or maybe you're just projecting. Either way, I've explicitly stated that I'm not basing my decision solely on this one thread - of course that would be stupid. I've listened to a good cross section of cans, have read almost every review of the K701, and at this point I know exactly what I'm looking for. The only challenge is decoding the language of the reviews to figure out what they mean for me. Markl's review has been the clearest and best description of the K701's presentation that I've read so far, and since it confirms what others have said, I tend to believe it.

Also, thanks everyone for comments like these:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd_lover
Personaly, the 701's perspective is .... here comes that word again .... balanced. Not to recessed and not to forward and near perfect for my tastes.

Of the AT cans I have heard the only one I think I could get along with is the W5000. I have had some brief listens to the AT900 and I thought the headphone was mediocre sounding. The 701 is a much better sounding headphone than the AT900 to me.

That makes me feel 100% sure that I wouldn't like the K701. A too forward sounding headphone (that's more comfortable than a Grado) is the number one most important quality for me. Although I'm curious as to what you mean by "much better" - it sounds like you're talking generally about frequency response, detail, transients, etc. all evaluated on a whole. Is that true?

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
I don't know... I used to agree with you about trusting your own ears, but after listening to a bunch of different headphones and re-reading reviews of them, I've found that more often than not I tend to agree with the general headfi concensus. The only tricky part is figuring out which reviews are worth paying attention to.

Well, from what I have noticed, the majority of K701 users have given it more praise than criticism.

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Having waited ~3 weeks so far, and just as the news hit about the new giant shipment being expected (at Headroom), I decided to cancel my order. I've only emailed them so far, so I have approx. 5 hours to reverse my decision before they open for business. Simple enough - am I crazy or not?

The decision was mostly thanks to this thread. No matter how spectacular the frequency response or detail, I don't think I could love a headphone without an engaging, forward presentation. Instead I'm ordering the AD900, which I hope will fix the midrange issues I had with the LTD but still give me that great in-your-brain soundstage.

Aside from telling me I'm crazy, could anyone else comment on the K701's presentation? Maybe I could be swayed back into the flock.
icon10.gif

The AT AD open phones arent very engaging, impactful or forwardsounding imho, only exception being the AD2000 which has nice a impactful sound. Sadly the lower models completely lack this..

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Markl's review has been the clearest and best description of the K701's presentation that I've read so far, and since it confirms what others have said, I tend to believe it.

I do not understand how you found that review to be "clear," because I found it to have too many vague descriptions such as "foggy, airy, white, gray, sluggish, heavy, etc." Reviews with this kind of terminology do not sit well with me, because they are really very ambiguous (I especially took note the contradiction between "airy" and "foggy/heavy," but perhaps I misinterpret what he meant--therein lies the ambiguity).

I can understand when someone says that something like bass is "weak" or "strong," because it is easy not only to hear, but even to feel the impact of bass upon your ears. As for using colors in one's description, I am going to have to pass on a review that does so. But what do I know?
580smile.gif

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:29 PM Post #21 of 46
The K701, by and by, has received quite favorable impressions on head-fi, and I would say that whether or not some headphone has an engaging and forward presentation or not is a matter of opinion. The K701 is more forward than the HD650 and it's not as if the majority of HD650 users want to be detached from the music or anything like that.

I think you are falling into the trap of putting more importance on criticisms than praise. Whenever one guy praises something and a second guy follows up by criticizing it the second guy invariably comes off as being more perceptive than the first guy, to be able to see flaws the first one didn't, to have superior taste, to have more experience and not be blinded by new-toy syndrome... but it's not necessarily the case that he is right and the first one is wrong, or that you will agree with him on the existance of any flaw.

Look at the criticisms of headphones on this forum, you would think from reading them that if you aren't using a good system then your music will end up sounding dry and boring and generally bad. Then look at the classical music recordings forums, you would think from some criticisms that if you have the wrong recordings your music will be shallow and put you to sleep. I'm sure there are chair reviews where people can't enjoy the music because the metal support at the back bites into their spine. And so on... if you want your listening experience to be uncriticized by anyone it'll be awfully difficult.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #22 of 46
You're crazy. AD900 is way overpriced because you have to buy it overseas. AD700 is only ~$100 in US. If AD900 was available here, it'd be around $125. Are you willing to spend double the retail on a headphone you don't know much about? There's not much said about the low-end AD series while there's a plethora of info on K701... it's ok to be crazy as long as you're happy.

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
You're crazy. AD900 is way overpriced because you have to buy it overseas. AD700 is only ~$100 in US. If AD900 was available here, it'd be around $125. Are you willing to spend double the retail on a headphone you don't know much about? There's not much said about the low-end AD series while there's a plethora of info on K701... it's ok to be crazy as long as you're happy.

That's especially true because the K701 is easily returnable, the AD900 isn't

Mar 21, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:

Having waited ~3 weeks so far, and just as the news hit about the new giant shipment being expected (at Headroom), I decided to cancel my order. I've only emailed them so far, so I have approx. 5 hours to reverse my decision before they open for business. Simple enough - am I crazy or not?

The decision was mostly thanks to this thread. No matter how spectacular the frequency response or detail, I don't think I could love a headphone without an engaging, forward presentation. Instead I'm ordering the AD900, which I hope will fix the midrange issues I had with the LTD but still give me that great in-your-brain soundstage.

Aside from telling me I'm crazy, could anyone else comment on the K701's presentation? Maybe I could be swayed back into the flock.
icon10.gif

I suggest you to cancel that order (anyway it was already done) and try to listen it first to see if you like it. To place an order blindly, based on other ears preferences was never a very clever decision IMHO....if that case were a headphone that it would be impossible to hear in any place, or a hard to find one, like some electrostatics, Orpheus etc...but the K701 is the new "flavor of the month" (white coconut...LOL) you will have the opportunity to listen hundreds of it before buying it, and even get it used later on if you like it....BTW what I heard was not my cup of tea, just FYI....and I have heard also comments from other members as well, that have not like it neither....but we have our own ears and our own preferences, maybe you like them later on....but please always base your decisions in your ears, you can replace/upgrade/change/tune...etc... everything in your system, except the ears, keep that in mind....

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

That makes me feel 100% sure that I wouldn't like the K701. A too forward sounding headphone (that's more comfortable than a Grado) is the number one most important quality for me. Although I'm curious as to what you mean by "much better" - it sounds like you're talking generally about frequency response, detail, transients, etc. all evaluated on a whole. Is that true?

I didnt understand just how forward you wanted forward to be .... but you still might like the 701. As for ... is that true? .... yes evaluated as a whole.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Looks like you have some work to do on reading comprehension skills. Or maybe you're just projecting. Either way, I've explicitly stated that I'm not basing my decision solely on this one thread - of course that would be stupid. I've listened to a good cross section of cans, have read almost every review of the K701, and at this point I know exactly what I'm looking for. The only challenge is decoding the language of the reviews to figure out what they mean for me. Markl's review has been the clearest and best description of the K701's presentation that I've read so far, and since it confirms what others have said, I tend to believe it.

I was speaking in the broadest, most general of terms, not intending to single anyone out specifically, but if the shoe fits...

In any event, I stand by what I wrote 100 percent and I can assure you my reading comprehension skills are quite on the money.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #27 of 46
Oy.
tongue.gif

My feeling is that anyone curious about them should purchase from a place like Headroom with a 30-day return policy. Worst case scenario, you are out a few bucks for shipping, but IMO, it will have been worth it to see for yourself. I think that goes for any top-end headphone you think you would like to audition. IMO, no one else's ears are better than your own for deciding what you like or don't like.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I do not understand how you found that review to be "clear," because I found it to have too many vague descriptions such as "foggy, airy, white, gray, sluggish, heavy, etc." Reviews with this kind of terminology do not sit well with me, because they are really very ambiguous (I especially took note the contradiction between "airy" and "foggy/heavy," but perhaps I misinterpret what he meant--therein lies the ambiguity).

I can understand when someone says that something like bass is "weak" or "strong," because it is easy not only to hear, but even to feel the impact of bass upon your ears. As for using colors in one's description, I am going to have to pass on a review that does so. But what do I know?
580smile.gif

LOL - I tend to see it just the opposite. If a review has too many objective statements, like "strong bass", then I usually feel like I don't get a good impression of the headphone's sound quality. IMO, the KSC75 and A900 could both be described as "forward soundstage, strong bass response, slightly recessed midrange" but that really doesn't address their overall character.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
You're crazy. AD900 is way overpriced because you have to buy it overseas. AD700 is only ~$100 in US.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
That's especially true because the K701 is easily returnable, the AD900 isn't

That's actually the best advice I've gotten so far. I just cancelled my audiocubes order (two in two days
icon10.gif
now I definitely can't protest being called easily influenced) and placed an order for the AD700. I didn't realize they were available in America for so cheap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I didnt understand just how forward you wanted forward to be .... but you still might like the 701. As for ... is that true? .... yes evaluated as a whole.

Basically, I want exactly what markl described with his R10 -

"It also prevents the driver from ever really engaging the ear, tickling it, scintilating it, or otherwise fully interacting with it. K701 is something you appreciate more from a distance rather than being hooked up directly to it and having the sound travel straight from the driver to your brain's synapses, which for me is one of the key elements of headphones that make them so enjoyable in the first place, and one of the few things they put on the table that speakers do not."

I felt that same feeling with the A900LTD, so I'm hoping the AD series will be similar. And yes, of course I have to trust my own ears, but living in Hawaii it's impossible to audition anything other than Senn and Grado. I have to make some educated guesses first and all of that info comes from headfi (for better or worse) - that's just the way it's got to be. The K701 will always be in the back of my mind, maybe when it comes down in price or I get my hands on a better system.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #29 of 46
have you considered forking out 3X more for the W5k?
very_evil_smiley.gif

it may be what you are looking for...fast, immediate yet not fatiguing, solid tones even with the highs, crisp but not to the extend that they sound thin, bass is impactful, fast, and hits deeper than the k701 though the quantity on the upper bass is less which kinda make them feel the lack of warmth. But fortunately, vocals sound really clear and background is darn clean....aka black(not gray). the phone screams "I'm clean, I'm fast, I'm teh r0x0r!"

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #30 of 46
I just heard a 701 at the Chicago meet and it was one of only two headphones that impressed me (the other being the AKG1000). They were very balanced and clear....with lots of soundstage.

Surprisingly, I also heard every Senn that matters, DT770's, DT880's, and R10's....and none of those really interested me as much as the two mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back